1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***The Official 2009 NHL Playoffs Thread***

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by unifiedtheory, Apr 12, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That was a good hockey game, even the scrum at the end of the game as Malkin was not going to be a patsie this Stanley Cup unlike last season.

2. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    F the Wings.

PIT outplayed them both games. It seems PIT can't buy a damned goal. DET gets all the lucky breaks....

Plus, on DET's second goal, it should've been a penalty on Hossa.

Lets go PIT, let the fire of your youth lead one of the biggest comebacks in Stanley Cup Final history!!!!!!!!!

GO PENS!!!

3. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    :lol: :cry:

GO WINGS GO!!

they aren't really calling anything in this series. Its just what the NHL does. Inconsistency in officiating at its best. When you have two great teams like we do in this final though, its a bit nice and frustrating all at the same time though that they are just letting them play.

4. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    It is nice that they're letting them play, but it IS frustrating. Th no call the other night on Zetterburg for covering the puck on Osgood's back with his hand was ridiculous. That should have been a penalty shot for the Pens.

And the blatent interfering that the Wings are doing with no calls is also ridiculous. But hey, you have to overcome that.

Pens can't catch a break. They have to get the pucks in the net, not off the posts, and they have to capitalize when they have the chances. Geurin missing that shot off Crosby's pass from behind the net is a perfect example.

They've outshot the Wings, and have had more scoring chances. They're just not cashing in.

As for the scrum at the end, it's frustration. The Wings have been getting away with murder so far, and it was nice to see Malkin show some fire.

I'm hoping that it sparks the team the way that Talbot's fight against Carcillo in game six did!

Back to the Igloo now...whiteout time! GO PENS!

5. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Yeah, I'm not complaining. They are letting them play, and I like that, but you have to draw the line somewhere. That is where the inconsitency is happeing.

On that Hossa hook from Game 2; if that was in the DET zone, let it go, but it was in the PIT zone, and allowed the Wings to keep the puck in, which ultimately led to the goal. As a ref, they have to be mindful of that, and the determination of making the call or letting it go should reflect on the possible outcomes and consequences of their decision.

Anyways. It is shaping up to be a good series, and I can see both PIT and DET coming in fired up for Game 3. But this isn't the same PIT team from last year. They aren't afraid, and have shown it, and their play will reflect that - win or loose.

BTW, do you Americans get to see Don Cherry and Coach's Corner?

6. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    OK... so lets update the state of things in the wonderful world of the NHL after Game 2... this is in no way an attempt to ruffle feathers and start fights here... although i feel it may, but after watching some of the replays from last nights game, I feel the need to mention a few things...

Common complaints here are from inconsistent officiating... but thats normal for the nhl IMO. Lets look a little more in depth at what happened last night...

The 2nd wings goal, and the "no call" on Hossa... lets take a look at that. Its actually a good defensive play by Hossa, is there a hook? yeah, maybe a bit. Did hossa slash Dupuis and break his stick. Definately not. Why do i say this? Look at this video... and fast forward to the 2:50 mark, for a great reverse angle that CBC showed, and NBC of course... failed to realize...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLw3WVyD6tE"]YouTube - Stanley Cup Finals 2009 Game 2 - Pens @ Wings[/ame]

As you see, hossa gets his stick in, lifts Dupuis stick a bit, and gets it inside, its a bit of a hook, sure, but the way they are calling this series, and how they had called the game up to that point, theyre not going to call that. From this reverse angle, you can even see the "hook", hossa's stick actually his Dupuis stick, below the hands. Theres nothing wrong with lifting a players stick like that.

Was it a slash by hossa? Answer there is No also. As you can see, Dupuis actually breaks his own stick in frustration (i guess) as he turns and swings at hossa with his stick and breaks it hitting the ice/hossa's skate. IMO... thats a good no call by the refs.

Now, for the scrum that ended the game.

Video is here...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBD_QGfQJ-0"]YouTube - Stanley Cup Finals 2009 Game 2 - Malkin fights Zetterberg![/ame]

Talbot spears Osgood, osgood pulls a Hasek, and flops over, big deal. Now as you will see, Zetterberg is standing there to Talbots right and he shoves Talbot a bit, then in comes Malkin, and he hits Zetterberg in the face, Zetterberg of course retaliates.

That move by Malkin, is 100% instigating a fight. He deliberately went after a player, when down, with less than 5 minutes left. Both players are given 5 minute majors for fighting, and Malkin is given a 10 minute game misconduct, and a game suspension for instigating a fight at the end of a game. But WAIT!!! The nhl conveniently decides to overturn its own rules, and the suspension today... Heaven forbid we suspend a star player in the finals. There's no question in my mind that its Malkin's intent, he deliberately goes after a star player... And whats with the Malkin swinging his stick in his hands while "punching" :lol: I think the whole thing is quite a comical "fight" :up:

While I will say it really wasnt much of a fight(rather pointless really), I'm sure had it been somone other than Malkin, maybe one of the Pens "scrub" players, the suspension probably would have stood based on reputation alone... but, oh well. It is what it is.

It bothers me as much as Nascar does changing the interpretations of their rules as they go. Not just series to series, but game to game, and even period by period it seems at times. It's incredibly frustrating. The inconsistency in officiating these hockey games is going to be the nhl's downfall. Hell, its already declining... this just makes it worse in my opinion.

And yes, I know there's calls not being called, on both sides... unfortunately thats the way it goes. This im sure will be viewed as useless by most here since its coming from me, a Wings fan... but it is what it is, it looks pretty obvious to me in the videos.

This article does an ok job outlining some of the events above...

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/No-suspension-for-Malkin-Inside-Detroit-s-2-0-l?urn=nhl,167081

7. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    The horrendous officiating continues... No problems with the penalties called in this period, but what is just awful is how pittsburgh is allowed to play with 6 guys on the ice for about 25 seconds, while Babcock and the Wings' bench scream at the refs... no call... I can't believe these guys get paid to ref these games :lol:

Good first period, I feel Pitt really carried the play. I think theyre going to take this game.

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Tied up 2-2...

9. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Figured the pens would win this one. Detroit didn't play well enough. Osgood though was great for the wings in the last few minutes leading up to the empty netter. Detroit was pretty much outplayed though, except for a few spurts here and there.

Of course it helps when you get 3 points from a guy who shoulda been suspended.... :lol: Onto game 4...

go wings go!!!

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The Pens finally played like the Pens at home, they must win the next game as well, they are in one heck of a hole.

11. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Geez....the Wings hold and grab and interfere for two straight games and get away with it and you're crying about Malkin. :lol:

We ain't dead yet. Amazing what happens when some interference penalties finally get called against Detroit, huh? :wink2:

12. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Oh how I love our playoff banter... Didn't we do this last year too? :lol:

Theres holding and interference going on out there all over the ice by both teams... The penalty to Ericsson, seemed a bit weak to me, interference, yes indeed by the definition of the rule... but they've let stuff 10 times worse than that go all series. It is what it is though...

I kind of figured the Wings would loose this one, I still think its going to go 7 unfortunately... My nerves can't take that.

Pagan likes this.
  13. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

7 games blood fight holding penalties pulled goalies stars injured players morale defeated and sunk..

god i love playoff hockey when you want both teams to be crushed.

14. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Of course we did! Wouldn't have it any other way!

The calls eventually even out. It'll be interesting to see how the refs handle the rest of the games.

Are you kidding??? Two minutes to go and I thought my heart was gunna break through my chest like frikkin "Alien"!

Seven games will kill me! :lol:

15. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA

:up:

Personally i hate the back and forth way the call the game.. One to detroit, one to Pittsburgh, one to detroit, one to pitt... Seems its been like that all series, almost seems like teams then know they can get away with a little bit more, knowing the next penalty is going to be against the other guys... for example, the too many men on the ice issue... Heaven forbid we give the wings back to back PP's... lets just watch it and see how long it goes on for :lol: stinkin refs! :tantrum:

I think you need to go relax in the LL for a bit :lol: just imagine how I was last year at the end of the last game with all the pressure the pens had in the closing seconds :lol: As much as I hated it, I'd kill for that outcome again this year :up:

16. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Bring it tonight Detroit!

I have a gut feeling tonight's the night Crosby finally shows up.

GO PENS!!!

17. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    uh... Letang was offside but about a stride and a half on the pitt PP goal... unbelievable. Im glad Versus actually takes the time to look at these things, and at least show them.

I love how detroit gets a PP on a crosscheck to holmstrom... that will happen to him another 20 times this game though and never be called.. :lol: ridiculous...

18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    So far, neither team has really had that much of an advantage on the other one, Detriot isn't swarming the Pens and the Pens are not getting many open looks at the goal.

19. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    The Wings really need to shoot more in my opinion. Trying to be too cute sometimes, too many passes.. just shoot the puck at the damn net!! :tantrum:

20. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    [​IMG]

21. anlgp

Someone call the the wambulance? Why is the word "the" there twice?

22. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Where? I don't see that! :wink2:

23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    They split the series, both won at home, now it becomes interesting.

24. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    yup, slowly on the road to 7... or less if detroit is as sloppy as they were last night. If they could have scored on the back to back powerplays to make it 3-1, I think we could have been talking about a 3-1 series lead possibly too. Pitt looked like the hungrier team last night... Detroit was just awful though... I've never seen that team play so lazy and sloppy in my life. Back to Detroit we go...

25. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    That's something you need to worry about bro. In the third period, the Wings looked positively old and tired...and Ozzie's stick side has been exposed.

You better hope they can correct both in a hurry.

26. wpgfishfan

wpgfishfan Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I can't believe how terrible of a goalie Osgood is and he has won all these cups.

Conklin is better and Osgood is not even top 15 in the league yet he wins behind Detroits defence year after year

Pitt exposed him and I hope Pitt wins now cause seeing Osgood in the Hall of fame will be a JOKE

27. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    you're way off bro... Osgood has bailed the wings out of their slow starts all playoffs..

as for game 5... this ones for the Wings. The pens really seem to be showing their inexperience, and frustration, and "immaturity" taking way too many stupid penalties in this one.

5-0 detroit in the 2nd... ouch.

I LOVE IT!

28. anlgp

pittsburgh is getting *** ****ed by detroit tonight.

pagan, you should change your avatar to "no we can't" with the penguin crying.

you were crushing detroit the other day what the hell happened?

and detroit (the other day) what the hell was up with all those turnovers? that shouldn't happen with a "more experienced" team like the wings..

just playing the agitator...

29. anlgp

come on detroit can't score on a 5-3? :lol:

way to pass the puck, though.

also, seems to me that wherever this series is being played the refs happen to play for that team as well...

30. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hm...is there a 7 goal rule?

31. anlgp

no....?

32. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    There should be, the Pens are taking a whipping tonight..

Charlie Steiner, come out and get you whippin'...

33. FinsPensFan

FinsPensFan Professional Slacker

Dec 21, 2007
    Wheeling, WV
    Good Lord, my Pens are getting smoked..

34. anlgp

WTF was that by Hossa? Running over the Penguins goalie? what a dirty mother****er.

Ex Penguin, Current Red Wing.

No wonder he runs over goalies...

35. anlgp

what's up with that penguins guy knocking the brains out of that detroit guy?

lots of dirty stuff going on here...

36. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Is it too late to place bets?
    It is?
    Damn.
    Wanted to drop couple grand on wings for tonights game.

37. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    That's why it's a best out of seven.

The Pens better rein in that emotion or they're done. But now we go back to the Mellon.

Ain't over yet.

FinsPensFan likes this.
  38. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Far from it... I still think we see 7.

39. AquaBlitz

AquaBlitz Active Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think Pittsburgh barely beats Detroit at the Mellon and then the Wings finish them off at the Joe. Something like 4-2 and then hoist the cup in front of those deserving fans. The only thing Michigan really has are the Red Wings.

brandon27 likes this.
  40. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Don't know if my heart's going to be able to handle that, bro. :lol: