1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official 2010 Boston Red Sox Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Ray Finkle, Feb 6, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Youkilis is getting surgery on his thumb. He's out for the year. Unreal. Sox are now looking for a LHH 1st baseman. Maybe Lars Anderson is on the way sooner than later, although he's been up and down in Triple A all year and his numbers vs. LHP are bad.

2. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Yeah, that sucks man.....how many bodies or $$$ can you throw at SD and overwhelm them for A. Gonzalez!

Then, you jettison Beltre and move Youk to 3B next year.:up:

3. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Well first Gonzalez would never make it to the Sox on waivers plus the Padres are still in first place right now so that's not going to happen this year but next year I think the Sox could certainly make a run at Gonzalez. They should be the favorites too since almost all of the big market teams have good 1st basemen and the ones that don't couldn't afford him.

4. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The Padres control him through next year though right? I think if he does get traded it will be closer to the deadline, or if they're still in contention next season, they keep him and take the compensation.

If I were them, I'd hold onto him as long as possible, unless someone knocks my socks off in a trade. Do the Sox have a strong enough farm system to pull of a trade? Seems like San Diego would be better off trading with a team like...Atlanta :shifty:

5. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Correct Gonzalez still has another year on his contract. You'd get more for him if you trade him in the offseason instead of in July though since the team getting him would have him longer so he'd be more valuable.

I agree if you're San Diego you hold onto him if you don't like the offers you want for him, they shouldn't just give him away but there's no way they can afford him after next year and they know that. The Sox have a pretty good farm system, they were ranked in the top 5 going into this year by the usual BA, BP, etc and Jed Hoyer (SD's GM) was the Sox assistant GM before he took the SD job and his assistant GM was the Sox scouting director so they certainly know the prospects in the Sox system.

I can't see the Braves trading for Gonzalez and then him leaving for FA after the year. That just smells too much like what happened with Teixeira, plus the Braves won't pay him a long term deal so it really wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to give up a lot of prospects for 1 year of him.

6. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Sucks bro.....love the Youk, wish I had a bunch on New York.....I wont miss the 300 ball at bats however...he will be back next better than ever I am sure..

7. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I wouldnt settle for anything less than major league ready guy/s, and top prospects for Gonzo...he is under contract on the cheap...and is really good...

Not to mention the Pads arent trading him because they are in 1st...they need him...

8. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    The Gonzalez trade talk is interesting. If there's been one thing that has not been a problem for the Red Sox this year, its been production from the corners. Beltre has been better than I ever could have imagined and Youkilis is a perennial MVP-candidate. There's no doubt that the addition of Gonzalez would make this team stonger offensively (I like his approach at the plate much more than a free-swinger like Beltre), but defensively its a downgrade. So the question becomes, can you justify the cost of a package of top prospects (Kelly +) for the marginal offensive upgrade -- provided you can sign Beltre to an extension and he can replicate his year?

At this point, I'd probably pass.

9. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Adrian Gonzalez is a very good defensive 1st basemen, probably just as good if not better than Kevin Youkilis. I do think you'll lose a little bit of defense putting Youkilis at 3rd instead of Beltre but honestly although Beltre has made some amazing plays this year, he hasn't been the lights out glove I thought we were getting.

I think I'd try to see what it would take to land Gonzalez and if the package isn't that much then I'd jump on it. If it is then I'm fine with the Sox waiting out the year until he becomes a free agent and then giving him the money and years he wants. Because what team will be able to out spend the Red Sox for him? The Yankees and Mets both have the money but not the need for him. Howard is locked up in Philly.. The Angels never spend money on big free agents and the Dodgers' money is all locked up due to the divorce. The White Sox would probably be the only other team that could challenge the Sox for Gonzalez but in the end I still couldn't see them outbidding the Sox. Plus next year's off season you have Gonzalez, Prince Fielder and Pujols (although I think he'll sign a deal with St. Louis before then) on the market so teams will be going after Fielder too (note if the Red Sox even think about signing Fielder I will be pissed but I think they're smart enough to know not to touch him). Ultimately I think Gonzalez will be ours by 2012 anywway. The package would probably have to be something along the lines of Kelly, Kalish/Ellsbury, Anderson/Rizzo, and Lowrie.

I agree about Beltre. He's been awesome this year but I wouldn't trust him to be able to put up the same numbers next year or even 3 years down the line, especially with his approach at the plate. I mich rather resign Victor Martinez and have him play a mix of 1st and catcher (with Saltalamacchia), with Youkilis moving over to 3rd.

10. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Annnnnnnnnd Okajima hits the DL. That makes #16 this year but it's the first DL trip that actually helps the team since he's been terrible this year.

Phinperor likes this.
  11. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Red Sox sign Carlos Delgado to a minor league deal. He can opt out of contract if he's not in the majors by Sept 1st. At this point why the hell not right?

finyank13 likes this.
  12. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Ok so the Sox split so it's kind of like kissing your cousin, especially since Tampa Bay went on a 5 game losing streak and the Sox could only win 2 games during that time. But still they picked up some games so at least they didn't get swept. They need to go into Toronto and continue to beat the Jays this year, especially with Wells possibly on the bench with a toe injury. The Yankees are playing Texas in Texas and Tampa is playing Detroit (although it looks like the Tigers started scheduling tee times for the first week of October already) so this week the Sox might be able to inch closer. The Sox have 6 games left vs. Tampa and the Yankees each so they can control their fate to an extent. I still don't think they have enough offense now or in the pen outside of Bard and Papelbon (who threw the ball very well in New York) to over take either Tampa or New York but we'll see. I think winning the East is a pipedream at this point. The possible injuries to Davis and Niemann might have opened up the playoff door a little more for the Sox.

13. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Agreed, I also like to think V-Mart will go on a tear soon as well....which helps the Sox..

I gotta ask you though, why did you think they would get swept?? They never sweep each other, and especially with the match-ups favoring the Sox....

14. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I didn't think they'd get swept, I always assumed that the Sox would either split or lose 3. I was just commenting on how the Sox had a big opportunity to gain serious ground on Tampa but they couldn't beat up on Cleveland or New York during that period. I wouldn't have been shocked if the Yankees swept only because the Yankees are a good team and anything can happen in baseball and at Yankee Stadium. I just wasn't very confident in our offense without Youkilis or Pedroia or the pen going into the series. I figured every game would be close and with the Yankees having Rivera and home field, it gave them a little bit of an edge. The only favorable pitching match up was which ever pitcher would face Mosley and look what happened at that game, so you never know.

I won't lie though, when the Sox won on Friday and Arod got hit during BP, I thought maybe it was a sign from above that the Sox were going to have a big weekend.

15. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    The Sox get hit with yet another crippling injury, this time to Kevin Cash. The Sox are calling up Jarrod Saltalamacchia. So in the past week the Sox have upgraded their team by putting two guys (Okajima and Cash) on the DL that have sucked all year. This is a DL move I approve. Hopefully Saltalamacchia (which sounds like something you'd get at Starbucks) will play well, I'm definitely interested in seeing what he can do.

16. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Atlanta
    This season has been brutal.

I will take a couple of more wins this week and a venti Saltalamacchia.

Ray Finkle likes this.
  17. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    With both the Rays in a semi funk and not playing today, Sox need to go for the kill today against the Jays, especially since they go to Texas next and historically never play well there. Luckily they get to miss Cliff Lee over the weekend. Saltalamacchia gets his first start behind the plate today so it will be interesting to see how he does there, which might end either the Victor Martinez or Jason Varitek Era next year if he performs well and shows the FO he can throw the ball back to the pitcher without pretending to be Rube Baker.

Buchholz has been great this year (and a bit lucky too). It's been fun watching him when he gets in a groove. I wish he'd strike out a few more batters but he's been increasing his ground ball to fly ball rate which is nice to see. I'm hopeful the strike outs will come up too though.

18. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    This is a big start for Lackey. We need him to start to go on a roll (along with Beckett) if we are going to have a shot at the playoffs, we need both Beckett and Lackey to pitch like they're capable of pitching.

19. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I dont think he will be missed...:lol:

Hey if the Sox play the rest of the games in Toronto they will be all set...they rake up there....they win today bank it!!!

20. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yet they can't beat up on the Royals, Indians, Mariners, A's or Orioles this year so go figure. Toronto, at least in the past few years, have always played Boston hard, especially in Canada.

21. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    By the way I think I have officially given up on Lars Anderson as a prospect. It's time to dream about the Anthony Rizzo Era now.

EDIT: I reserve the right to change my mind though. It seems like Lars is that type of player.

22. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Now that was a terrible loss. It might seriously be time to think about giving Bard the ball in the 9th. This should have been an easy victory today and it turned out to be a disaster. The only positives is that Saltlamacchia played well both behind the plate and at the plate and Lackey pitched like Lackey should. Just a terrible loss that the Sox can't afford at this stage in the season.

Everytime you think you're out, they pull you back in and then they crap all over your hopes- that should be the official tag line of the 2010 Sox.

23. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    Honestly, I'm sick of Papelbon. I can't wait until the offseason when he's shipped somewhere for 60 cents on the dollar. Seriously, I just want him out of the organization.

Tito needed to have a quicker hook there. Regardless, I'm surprised he even made the move to Bard at all. When's the last time Papelbon was pulled from an inning?

That was easily the worst loss of the season.

24. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Ouch, what a horrible loss. That's the way baseball is at times....you have a game in the bag and end up losing it, but you also win a few games every year that you have no business winning. At least you don't have to wait a week to play again.

25. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I believe Papelbon was pulled in the middle of an inning earlier this year. But you're right it's probably the worst loss of the season all things considered. The good thing about this Papelbon melt down is it makes it more unlikely the Sox shell out big money for him when he becomes a FA, eventhough I don't think the Sox ever planned on paying him past 2011 anyway.

26. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Yikes...pulling Papelbon in an inning....thing is I know you guys are sour on him, but he is the second best closer in the game besides Mo obviously....there is no question about it....be careful what you wish for with Bard, while he has a rocket arm...I dont think he is as good as Pap....

27. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I don't think Papelbon is the 2nd best closer in baseball to be honest with you anymore. He has his days where he pitches like one but for whatever reason (getting older, more wear on the arm, changing of his motion) he just isn't the same pitcher anymore. I'm not yelling and screaming to get him off the team because he still is an effective bullpen pitcher but I'm just not sure he is the best pitcher in the pen anymore and I'm always nervous when he comes in now because he rarely ever has a 2nd or 3rd pitch working for him. It's all fastballs and they're hittable now. Whether Bard can handle the duties as closer is a moot point because Papelbon will not be with the Red Sox in 2012 since he's going to want a big contract and there's zero chance the Sox pay him that.

BigDogsHunt and finyank13 like this.
  28. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Who then Soria?? Thing is Paps is in the hardest division in baseball, he has to face the Yanks and the Rays 19 times a year (not literally but you know what I mean) in pressure packed situations, then you have the Jays who crush the ball, and Balt who can hit as well.....I mean this isnt the Marlins where you are facing empty stadiums, and low pressure atittudes in the 9 inning.....

It is like my old man said when I asked him one time that because Hoffman has the record does that make him the best closer in the history...and he said, "Hoffman's next big pressure save will be his first, 600 plus saves, and he still has no grey hair"........I mean obviously that is a stretch but there is some truth to it.....same goes for Papelbon as well...I guarntee you Paps has seen more big game moments in the past 3 years than most of these guys combined....and he has feared pretty well....he isnt as dominate as he used to be...but as Schilling said you have to adapt to be sucessful in baseball over a long period of time, because surely people will figure you out...

29. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Soria, Heath Bell, Broxton, Brian Wilson and Joe Nathan (when healthy) have all pitched better than Papelbon for the last 2 years or so. I think Soriano is a pretty good closer when healthy too. The bottom line is Papelbon isn't the same pitcher he was from 2005 to 2008, when he becomes a free agent I have no problem letting him walk because I don't believe a team should ever give a big money, long term contract to any reliever not named Rivera.

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  30. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I think Nathan is awful but that could be just because everytime he faces the Yankees, he gets light up....Soria and Broxton are decent, all the rest I am not sold on...they pitch in popcorn leagues....like I said I know you guys are down on Paps, but he is a damn good closer maybe something is up with him......he did pitch decent against the Yanks last time out...

31. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    u see this...what a waste picking ellsbury this year in my draft ugh!!!! I have lost some respect the way he has handled himself this year...I wonder if Theo tries to deal him...?

Jacoby Ellsbury (ribs) will go back to Boston this morning to have an MRI on his injured ribs.

Ellsbury had to leave Friday's game after experiencing pain in his left side following a collision with Rangers pitcher Tommy Hunter at first base. It's the same area that's caused him to miss most of the season. "It’s very concerning,’’ said manager Terry Francona. "The exam that [trainer Mike Reinold] gave him is very concerning. We’ll get him looked at as quickly as we can so we can try to make a decision going forward.’’ We'll update you on Ellsbury's prognosis as soon as we get word.

32. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I don't think that's fair for you or anyone to question his injury. Do you really think he was milking it the whole time and it really wasn't hurting him? Maybe there is some truth to him being a little soft but the guy did have 3 or 4 broken ribs and there's not much a player can do than just sit and wait for them to heal on their own. As a fan I'm frustrated that the guy can't stay on the field but I don't question that he's not hurt. Him not playing takes money out of his pockets.

As for dealing him, I think Theo would listen if a team calls him up and asks about him but unless he's blown away by an offer (Adrian Gonzalez?) I doubt Ellsbury gets traded. Yeah it's been a frustrating year with him but the guy is a still a good ball player.

33. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Bro I am not questioning his injury, I realize he has multiple broken ribs. what I am losing some respect for is the he say, they say stuff that
    was happening. claims of the team doctors not diagnosing the injury correct from his view, which is crap. the doctors are professionals....

34. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Some Met fans and Met players would disagree with you. Seriously though it does sound like his injury was mishandled by the team doctors somehow, but it is a strange situation. Anyway Ellsbury is probably out for the year now, he might have cracked some more ribs from a collusion he had at 1B yesterday. Just a brutal year for him.

finyank13 likes this.
  35. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Atlanta
    Well at least the Sox did well in the draft this year, Theo got just about everyone that they could to sign. This could be a nice class in a couple of years.

36. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah Theo and Co had a great draft, especially getting Ranuado and the two prep SSs to sign was huge. I wouldn't be surprised if Ranuado or Workman were up with the Sox around this time next year as they're both experienced college arms. But yeah it is exciting that the Sox lose their scouting director and seemingly don't miss a beat.

37. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Mike Cameron has confirmed that he is done for the season and there are sources that are saying Ellsbury is done for the year too. So we're going to be seeing a lot of Ryan Kalish (which isn't a bad thing by any means).

38. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    yeah I dont mind Kalish....I wonder how he does once they get a book on him...

I cant believe Elisbury is done....my luck I picked him in fanatsy...I am the Red Sox in fantasy baseball....I have Elsbury, Pena, Utiley, Bailey, Buchloz, Soto....hahahah

39. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Kalish will probably be a solid to ann above average player. He does everything well but just not great, he probably won't be a superstar but definitely be useful. Of course that's what the scouts said about Pedroia and Youkilis so who knows. I'll be happy with a .280/.370/.445 line with 20 HRs and 15 SBs each year while playing solid D.

40. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I would take Kalish doing this, as opposed JD Drew getting 14 mill to do the samething....I believe if Kalish and Drew had = playtime, the numbers wouldnt be far off...