1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official 2011 Boston Red Sox Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Ray Finkle, Nov 10, 2010.

1. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Of course, but thats what makes this so much more fun! Nowhere to hide since Winning couldnt cure these ills!

Its not whether they were doing it, or if other clubhouses do it.....its just the fact that its getting out...that damage control is not preventing it, its blowing up, and its out of control, its...its....glorious to watch.

And yes, I 100% know and understand, if roles were reversed it would be just as juicy in beantown viewing the Bronx....but since that didnt and hasnt happened, its totally worth it right now from this perspective.

Domino's are just flying by, being knocked over so fast...so furious! :tongue2:

2. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Didn't Kevin Millar and a few other players take shots of Crown Royal before game 7 of the ALCS or something? Can't remember which game it was.

3. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Bro I am not saying it doesn't go on, of course it does....I don't care about video games, drinking, or eating fast food in the clubhouse whatever...but doing it during the game, and not being in the dugout is the problem....and I bet any player in MLB who gives a damn would say the samething....Is it that hard to ask that you are in the dugout during the game? Consider the below....

4. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Your late to this discussion, go back one page....:lol:

5. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I really think you're going overboard with this stuff. The snowball is falling? The team is changing their manager and general manager. They still have their core players signed for the future and have a lot of money coming off the books. This team is hardily the disaster the media is making it out to be. But I understand you want to have some fun with it, which is fine.

Oh I'm not defending those players who did it nor do I think they should do it during games, that's wrong. My issue is everyone is treating this thing like it only happened in Boston or that's the reason why the team didn't make the playoffs.

6. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    :up::yes:

7. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Eh it is the media's job to sell papers, thats what they do....harp on stuff to no end, especially when it involves the Yanks or the Sox....

8. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I have to agree here......the players are one thing....

9. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    It's typical with the ownership group. Once a big name player leaves town that player gets bashed in the media by unnamed sources. It bugs me as a fan because as much as I feel the ownership group has done a good job that equally annoy me when they do this.

The Francona stuff really bugged me, that's no one business. Much like the stuff with Lackey and his wife. Players/coaches/managers/FO execs should be judged ONLY on their job and job performance. Anything else is none of our business.

finyank13 likes this.
  10. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    This and politics bro, as much as everybody says it is off limits, always gets reported.....it is sad...

here is that video they all did.....mentioned in that article...around 2:04....they are having fun....see what bugs me IF I was a Sox fan or a player, is that fine, have fun I get that, you live a charmed life, but when you suck *** at what your are supposed to be doing that lets you have said charmed life....that goes up my ***....

[video=youtube;aDKwpbkIpQ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDKwpbkIpQ4#t=2m06s[/video]

11. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Again when they were winning it was fine. Once they lost it wasn't. It's a complete double standard. When Arod and Jeter weren't getting along and the Yankees were winning it was fine but once a fly ball dropped in between them or the Yankees got eliminated from the playoffs it was the worst thing in the world. It's just how the media works. The story in the Boston Globe would have been interesting at the beginning of September when they still had a big lead. It's easy to pile on and kick someone when they're down.

I don't think it was right for the players to be in the clubhouse playing videogames or drinking during the game. They should be in the dugout cheering on their team. And those guys that did that should be had accountable for it and it's on them to make things right with the team, fans and franchise.

The stuff about Francona really just burns me up inside. Talk about lack of respect for the guy who helped bring 2 WS titles to the franchise. If the reports are true and it did affect his on the field performance and the owners didn't want to bring him back that's fine but they should have had respect for the man and kept things quiet.

finyank13 and BigDogsHunt like this.
  12. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I totally agree if the WINs were there a book could have been written and it wouldnt be as bad - just like the Booze shots story - following the WS title. Its cute, its funny...its typical.

Again, the Yanks had their Bronx Zoo following the WS title - all is well.

Its just really funny that Beantown eats their own so quickly, and publishes such an expose following the epic collapse. Its just S.O.P. for beantown boys. When it goes bad, it goes bad so quickly and from within. It always cracks me up with Beantown sports. They eat their own so quickly; as if they would rather do it then let outsiders peel back the layers, etc.

P.S. it wouldnt shock me to find out that INSIDER's are leaking and releasing this nonsense to the media - including the sullying of Francona! So I am not ready to jump on the media, if in fact the Asylum is selling itself out.

13. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    post number 837 on the previous page, they are BDH.....all rats.....

14. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Yeah, but I am saying someone with the last name "Henry"

finyank13 likes this.
  15. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    well it predates even this ownership group...as Nomar says:

16. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    it is funny too, my old man called me last night about Theo (well my daughter first, and it turned to Theo) and he said the same thing, "They run everybody out of town in a firestorm at the end, Manny, Nomar, Mo, Theo, Rice, Yaz, Petty...and they all make it seem like the players are the bad guys...funny this came up...

17. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I find that quite...well...perplexing. Cash, they want cash and not players. Hmmmmm!

18. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah I don't quite understand that but I guess we'll see.

As far as who's ratting info to the media, I think it's safe to say it's from the ownership group like usual. Not sure players would have known some of the stuff especially about Francona nor would they have any motivation for leaking that stuff out there.

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  19. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    What can the Sox really expect though, the Cubs could just tell them to bite it, wait one year, and get Theo for the bubble at the end of next year....

From most reports it sounds like Theo doesnt want to stay after this year, and made it clear to them he doesnt.....I gather this is just a case of getting it done, instead of wrangling over players that in the end could lead to the deal possibly dying, and the Sox get nothing althogether.......The Sox get what they want in the end, which is, Theo cant take anybody from the organization with him to Chi-town....

20. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Nonsense, to me anyway, AL has the DH, they would more or less be doing absolutely nothing in the dugout, and I have not bashed ARod (but I can, that man a *****), if they were hanging out or whatever it doesn't matter as a couple of more handclaps from the dugout mean nothing at all.

Bats went cold and pitching collapsed, fried chicken or an extra "attaboy" is merely chatter.

My issue with it is if you are going well, hanging in the clubhouse and doing those things should be a reward, if you are going bad then that should be taken away until you do start going well.

Otherwise the message is kind of "performance doesn't matter", when it should be "it pays to be a winner"

21. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Because waiting a year would hurt the Cub organization in terms of building for the future since you have a lame duck GM who basically wouldn't have any power to make any moves so your franchise is basically in a state of neutral for that year. Plus if you're the Cubs you're risking the chance another job would open up next year when Theo is a FA and risk him going somewhere else. It's not like the Sox would get back Starlin Castro but they should be able to land one of the Cubs prospects.

22. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Also nice seeing Jack McKeon put his two cents in in terms of Josh Beckett. Way to bite the hand that feeds you Jack. I guess he forgot to read the "what happens in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse" sign posted in every MLB clubhouse. Also again just goes to show you how the media likes to kick people when they're down, no one cared back in 2003 that Beckett and Penny would drink in the clubhouse during games but somehow 8 years later this is a big deal or even news worthy?

23. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Eh money or a low level prospect.....samething really....cash is king my friend...plus not to mention they havent even discussed compensation yet right? they did just the contract...

If true what he said, holy crap, this sounds like kids here.....Beckett is like a 2 year old.....locking club house doors??? chasing him with a bat?? this is too rich....this is beyond the Sox at this point, this is that Beckett feels entitled....a shame he isnt the first or the last sports star to feel this way.....

24. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    This is what I figured....

25. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
  26. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Regarding compensation if I were betting I'd say the Red Sox would get back Brett Jackson, a RHH OFer. He could immediately open the year as the starting RFer and help balance out the line up.

And about Beckett again this happened 8 years ago when he was a kid himself. I still don't think McKeon should have said anything about this story but again Beckett doing this didn't hurt the 2003 Marlins did it? It's all about perspective.

FWIW I'm told that it's not unusual for starting pitchers to hang out in the clubhouse during games and have dinner while the game is going on.

27. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    That's why I admire the Jeter's and Pedoria's of the world, they never slack, never take a break (dont get me wrong if they have to take a piss whatever)....they when the game is 10-0 either way are watching the game on the top deck focused on the opposite pitcher looking for a "tick" in his mechanics, something to give those guys an edge...

Pitchers I know it is tedious and boring to watch baseball games on your off day, especially in like August but you would like pitchers have the most to learn watching the hitters, whereas they are responsible for more hittters, as opposed to batter being responsible for a handful of pitchers during the course of the year...

28. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
  29. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I agree with you about the pitchers. In a perfect world they would be on the bench the whole game studying the opposing hitters. But I doubt not having Lester, Beckett and Lackey in the dugout cheering on the team would have any effect on the team in any way. It's not like if Lackey was clapping it would make Marco Scutaro hit better.

As for Ortiz and any player really it's all about the money in the end and you can't really take anything they say at face value. Johnny Damon claimed he'd never play for the Yankees and 5 months later signed on the dotted line. Russell Martin says he hates the Red Sox but if Boston offered him more years and money than anyone else he'd happily sign to play there. That's why I don't/won't/can't get worked up for comments by the players regarding teams. Money talks.

30. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Even though Bartolo could have won it, hard to argue......

31. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
  32. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    So did I miss any additional backstabbing in beantown today?

Or is it some sort of SAUX HOLIDAY???

Kuddo's for Ellsbury, that will give Youk something to strive for!!!:lol:

33. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
  34. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Hmmmm good question, I'm sure you did.

As for as Youk having something to strive for, not if John Lackey has anything to say about it!

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  35. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I want to apologize for my typing today, and going forward I am sure thru the offseason....its so hard to type with onehand, and also the tears of joy eventually run down my other hand.

"What exactly is the sound John Lackey makes while stuffing his face with KFC???"

God bless Boston Saux! I love you guys. Oh the joy!:hi5:

36. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
  37. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    P.S. if you dont do it already (which I am sure you do) you must listen to the BS Report Podcast.....Bill Simmons is top notch.

I have been listening more and more to Keith Law on Baseball Today podcast, but he seems quite full of himself on more than one occasion....but knows his stuff about prospects. I still like Jonathan Mayo more on how he comes across.

38. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Regarding this piece, and your steadfast stance that if you were winning this wouldnt have been written.

I 100% agree. Now, that said, I will also say, that a position such as this, is 100% irrelevant.

It doesnt matter that losing gets the rats to point their fingers and sell everyone down the river.

Frankly, that's SOP for Beantowners specifically and historically speaking. At the end of the day, that's not the story.

The story, the real story, that needs to be demanded to be written, and needs to be written by supporters of this franchise is why historically this SOP is the case. This needs to stop. Saux nation must gets its house in order....you need to learn to write these stories following wins (like the Millar "shots" story).....just look to your Big Brothers (your Daddy's) in the Bronx. If you want to pretend to be the next Bronx Zoo...win the world series title, then let the hounds be released on the behind the scene's zaniness! That's the ticket.

But do not let the RATS run the Asylum following losses and collapses. I know its hard since WS titles take nearly a century on avg; but come on, the template has been set... = Win and who cares...! But when you lose, try to lose with class and keep it inside till the next title...then tell the stories. The Yankees Way! And this is tried and true, tested 27 times.

Cause right now, this "well its a non-story if we didnt suffer the most epic regular season collapse in baseball history, to blow such a significant lead which included a reverse crash that cost not only Division title (which you had '78 precedent set for) but also the Wild Card (which had never been done). From 1st to 3rd and all those precious faces pressed against the glass wondering; "how come we cant play" today looks of Saux nation"...its weak.

ney, come on Saux Nation...rally around the cry....."F' Benedict Arnold of Beantown....stop stabbing each other in the back...pick up your chicken buckets and join in the new rally cry."

We are Saux Nation...we do not tread on each other....P.S. Extra Crispy please!!!!

good luck with that.

:tongue2:

39. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Obviously you know I love Law, whether you like him or not if you listen to him you'll learn something. That's all I ask for in announcers or writers. And yes Law does come off like he's full of himself but that's his gimmick.

And yes I do listen to the BS Report and find it entertaining but Simmons is pretty clueless when it comes to talking about baseball. With that being said my favorite podcasts are when he has his Yankee friend Jacko on.

finyank13 and BigDogsHunt like this.
  40. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010