1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official 2011 Boston Red Sox Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Ray Finkle, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Buchholz has been having trouble commanding his fastball all season so far, and he's paying for it. Oh well, Zach Britton is a pretty good young pitcher but again the Sox haven't had any timely hits. The offense needs to start picking it up a bit, they haven't been able to string together a few good hitting games in a row. But that's going to change sooner or later.

2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Atlanta
    Man that was brutal tonight..

3. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah a ball that should have been caught by Ellsbury in CF leads to a 2 run homer by Scott and then the Sox finally get a big home run to tie the game only to give back the lead 5 minutes later. The positive is Beckett again pitched pretty well. The bats are going to come around, it's only a matter of when.

4. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    The O's have held their own against AL East so far, am sure they will snatch a few from Yanks too....but each one taken from BOS is fun to watch.:tongue2:

5. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Baltimore isn't a terrible team. They have 2 very good SPs in Matusz and Britton, and a bunch of good young players in Wieters, Markakis and Jones. And a pretty good FO now that the owner is staying out of things. The AL East is tougher than most outsiders think as every team has a strong FO and are really trying hard to developing their own players from within. Even the weakest team in the division, which is pretty Baltimore, would probably have a winning record in any other division in baseball and could possibly challenge for a playoff spot in the AL/NL Central and possibly AL/NL West.

finyank13 likes this.
  6. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    So can we play the Angels more often?

7. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    The Jose Iglesias Era is likely to start today as Scutaro is headed to the DL. Don't expect much from the bat but the guy is a wizard in the field and if the Gold Glove award was legit he would have won it already for this year. He's that good.

8. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
  9. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Molina would not solve their catching problem.

10. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    He would be doing a better job than any catcher we currently have on the roster. Salty is not doing a good good job defensively and either is Varitek. Molina is probably going to be a better option offensively. Plus he can handle calling great games for pitchers. I like the move myself

11. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Is Molina better defensively? I think his reputation is different than the reality. Especially since the Giant pitchers complained about his game calling both before and after he was traded last year. Offensively he sucks but so does Varitek and Saltalamacchia (although I think Salty's bat the most out of the 3). If the rest of the offense heats up and does what they're suppose to do the Sox can afford to have a black hole at the catching position as long as we're getting above average defense and right now the Sox can't getting anything out of the position. The best option the Sox might have is in Double A with Tim Federowitz who has a very good arm and glove but lacks pop in the bat. I know Gammons has been on record saying he thinks he'll be up in July/August if the Sox can't make a deal for another catcher. It just shows you how important that position is and how hard it is to find a solid catcher, I mean besides a handful of guys at the MLB level the position is beyond thin. It's too bad the Sox couldn't take Miguel Montero from Arizona before he got a real shot at playing time. Personally I think the Sox are going to end up with Chris Synder from Pittsburgh by August 1st.

12. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I hope they dont get him, he kills the Yankees....

13. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Is he better defensively? No probably not at all. However he would much better offensive replacement. We can't continue to have our catching position hit around .200 or worse. I don't think Molina is going to come in and bat .300 however I do think he will bat around .250 with more quality at bats. Salt already has 19 Strikeouts and only 3 walks. You can tell the team is losing faith cause in Salt when they are starting Varitek more often than planned while he is hitting .128.

There are other catchers out there I also wouldn't mind getting, but I don't wanna ignore a spot in the lineup we could improve

14. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Molina's career line is .274/.307/.411. In 3 of his last 4 seasons he's had sub .300 OBP. He is a black hole himself and not sure Molina and quality at bats are ever used in the same sentence. I'd rather just give Saltalamacchia at bats as he at least has potential to get better and is still young and often times catchers develop late at the plate, not saying he will but I'd rather roll the dice with him and hope for the best.

15. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Atlanta
    Another great Beckett outing with a ND, but it was nice seeing Iglesias score the winning run. Only 1 game from .500 now, can't wait for the Yankees series.

16. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Molina in all of 2010 including both teams he played for had 34 K's in 377 at bats
    His OBP has always hovered around .300 which is better than Salts .247

Salt in all of 2011 has 19 k's in 69 at bats. You can't get on base if your always striking out. You can't move runners over or allow them to tag up if your not putting the ball in play.

I think Molina is a much better option than what we have right now. Is it the long term option well no of course not, But I don't see the harm in him playing for Red Sox the rest of this year. Maybe we can even go out and make a trade. Ryan Doumit is out there and heard Pudge (However I would rather keep Salt than play pudge). Salt may get another month but the Red Sox won't settle for the production they are getting right now. Really wishing we could have got Russell Martin as he has had a great year so far.

Beckett I am sure was pretty pissed after seeing how good he pitched go down the drain by the Bullpen. However glad to see that he is turning things around so far this year.

Yeah it was nice to see Iglesias come in and make a great play on the base paths however I was really excited for Crawford. He is starting to turn things around and it doesn't hurt I made a trade to get him on my fantasy baseball team either.

The Rays are really starting to turn it on and they got a lot of those wins without Evan Longoria who is now back. The Yankee series should tell us a lot. Dice K and Lackey are so up and down I am afraid to watch when they pitch

17. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Who cares if Molina doesn't strike out, he's still making outs in 70% of his plate appearances. That's awful. As for Saltalamacchia, 69 at bats is an extremely small sample size compared to what 10 years of knowing what Molina brings to the table. I say let's give Saltalamacchia a little more time.

As for the other options, I don't know how good Doumit is defensively but if Pittsburgh moved him out of that position it should tell you something. Plus the guy can never stay healthy. Ivan Rodriguez? No thanks he's a smaller version of Molina. Russell Martin? Small, sample sizes perhaps? I really can't kill the Red Sox for passing on the guy. He had been horrible for 2 straight years and was coming off of both hip and knee surgery. Plus Martin is an average defensive catcher at best. I think the Sox would rather have an above average glove and average or below with the bat behind the plate.

The bigger iszsue is that there just aren't that many good defensive catchers in baseball right now. If you go up and down the rosters every team has flaws at the catching position except for a handful of teams.

18. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I just think Molina is a better option than Salt. Molina may be out 70% but good things will happen more often than not when you can put the ball in play.

I agree with everything your saying with the other catchers. They all have there issues and I would rather keep salt then trade for basically the same thing. Hopefully Salt gets things going and we don't even have to worry about this.

19. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I guess we'll just agree to disagree about Molina but you know what after last night they might as well sign the guy. I mean Saltalamacchia is getting killed for his defense and hitting but Varitek is much worse. For all the praise he gets for his game calling he can't throw a single guy out nor can he hit. I mean that loss last night is on Varitek (obviously I'm going overboard with that comment), he couldn't even throw a guy out on a pitch out and then lets the guy steal 3rd. It was just pathetic.

Also Tim Wakefield needs to go. Look I love the guy for all he's done with the team since 1995 but he just doesn't have a spot with the team now and he's taking up space in the pen. You can't use him in a big spot or if the game is close and right now with the pen being overworked it's hurting the team as his stuff just isn't good anymore. I'm not saying dump him now but when Jenks and Wheeler come back (if Wheeler comes back because he's been awful) the Sox need to really look at their pitching staff. Bowden and Atchison have been pitching very well in the minors and could go multiple innings if needed. The team also has Doubront and Aceves if they need an emergency starter.

I'm concerned about Lackey, Matsuzaka and the catching situation for sure. The Sox have lost a lot of 1 run games so hopefully they will start to catch some breaks now. But the team just isn't consistent nor have they been all year.

20. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Finkle I agree with everything your saying.

Red Sox are completely wasting Adrian Gonzalez and the week he is having. Gonzalez and Ortiz in the two games v.s. The Bule jays have a total of 5 home runs and we lost both games. Wtf?!?!?

Wakefield is only being kept as a guy who will eat innings and sadly we need that cause we never know what we are getting out of Dice K and Lackey.

Lackey is pissing me off quite a bit. I don't wanna go on a huge long rant. So I will just say he needs to get his **** together.

Salt with another 2 K's tonight and the blue jays only had 3 stolen bases and we caught no one stealing. We to upgrade the position.

21. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    After hearing the news about Lackey's wife (she's been battling breast cancer) I have an extremely hard time beating him up over his on the field performance. Life > baseball. I pray she gets better and beats it.

finyank13 likes this.
  22. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Yeah that is awful I heard that too, god bless her....as far as him...ehh I will enjoy the rough starts while they last lol....

Hey what ever happened to Remy?? He has been gone for a few weeks now, and they said it was a cold hmm??

23. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
  24. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Word is Remy has pneumonia, he's been out for at least 2 weeks. He's had lung cancer a few years ago so maybe because of it it takes longer to recover? I actually really enjoy having Eck in the booth. I think he's very good, minus some of his sayings like 'cheese' but he knows the game.

I thought Greg Zaun was really good the past two games in Toronto, especially talking about which pitch he would have called for in certain situations and why. The only issue I had with Zaun is his voice was too soft spoken and kind of dull.

When I listen to baseball games I want to learn things, which is why I'm loving David Cone this year with YES as he's using stats from Fangraphs and Baseball Reference, I don't want to listen to the typical non sense you get from 95% of the broadcasters out there today.

finyank13 likes this.
  25. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    HAHAHA Cheese, and PAINT!!!! I love Eck, he holds no punches, Zaun was okay last night, he is insightful, and I think as time goes on he will get more comfortable.....I miss Remy.....he and Orsillo (who lives in Smithfield, RI) just crack me up....

The YES Network have awesome guys, they are all good IMO, O'Neil, Cone, Singleton, Kay, all of them are so solid, you learn a sheetload...unlike that abbastrabber Sterling....that guy is senile and a mess...Muscamp wrote an article about how he has to go....hahah

26. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Remy will be back on Monday, according to him via Twitter.

I enjoy the Remy/Orsillo combo. As for YES, Cone is the best and I like Singleton but just can't stand Kay. And as much as I should probably hate Sterling, I think he's an entertaining listen. If you're looking for baseball knowledge Sterling won't give you anything but he won't put you asleep and will keep you on your toes. As for his partner, she has to go.

27. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    The greatest ad series in a long, long time...and they dont even pitch their product...."you have the hands of a plumber"

[video=youtube;bScI0GePTdk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bScI0GePTdk&feature=player_embedded#at=13[/video]

finyank13 likes this.
  28. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

lol hahahh totally agreed

"you will be dead in october!''

"was that a little much?"

"I think you know it was"

hahahahahaah that is classic!

29. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    [​IMG]

Beat these jokers.

padre31 likes this.
  30. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Regarding Molina, Gammons was on WEEI a few days ago and said the report that the Sox made contact with Molina was old news and that the Sox haven't had contact with him or his agent in well over a month (leave it to Nick Cafardo for his continuious crappy reporting/work). Gammons also said the team is happy with the progress Saltalamacchia is making behind the plate but is still looking for a catcher that they can stash in Triple A just in case.

31. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    those guys are on par with the out of state college "Red Sox" fans singing "Sweet Caroline" at every game.....

32. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Ugh that freaking song. It's right up there with doing the wave and/or using cowbells/rally towells. Another thing I can't stand is at Yankee Stadium when the PA announcer plays "Dayyyyyyyyyy-O" and everyone says it back. So dumb. But I admit I love the role call from the blenchers and the 10 second song they play after every Yankee run.

33. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    The role call is awesome, dude they gave a role call to Melky the first game on Tuesday night....the first time a roll call had ever been done to an opposite team player.....I miss Melky, want him back real bad.....solid ball player, clutch hitter, he would be perfect in right field for the Sox next year....oh God.....

34. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I'm not doubting you but I'd be shocked if Melky really was the 1st visiting player to get a role call. Tino Martinez never got one when he was with St. Louis or TB?

Don't worry Melky Cabrera will never be the Red Sox everyday RFer, and thank god. Let's not jump overboard on him because he had a few good games against the Yankees.

35. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

Thats just horrible news that the sox are happy with Salt's progress. Hopefully he can pull it together tho

36. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    It isnt that I think he is the next coming of a HOF'er I am not irrational, but he would be perfect on a team like Boston where therr are all-stars at every position almost, you could plug him in the last 1/3 of the order, and he will produce....as Drew leaves, and they are iffy on Kalish's injury, I could see it...

he is only 26, who will grow (is starting now) into his power...he runs well, hits in the clutch (the year the yankees won the champ he had the most walk off hits), plays great defense(double digit assist in 2 years already, and 4 this year already)....he is your everyday .270-.280 gap hitter with slighty above avg speed, and defense....and in the post steroid era that statline will become more commonplace...for 1-3 million/year you cant beat that....I would have him in left over Gardner everyday and twice on Sunday....

I am going to harp on all you need in baseball today is timely hitting....

37. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I looked it up because I dont remember any opposing player getting the Call, as the Roll Call hasnt been around that long.....

Sori was it, after being traded to Texas..........

38. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Let's see: Melky doesn't hit for power, doesn't get on base, doesn't hit for high average, isn't fast and isn't good defensively. Not sure what exactly makes you think he'd be perfect for a team like the Red Sox. He was lucky he got a major league job this year after last year's awful year. Even in 2009 his year was subpar. I just don't see him as anything more than a 4th OFer.

You're just being nostalgic right now because he had a good series vs. the Yankees.

BigDogsHunt and Mainge like this.
  39. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Finally at .500!!!! Wooo

Swept the ****ing Yankee's!!!

Salt had a nice HR and the only really bad news was the performance of Jon Lester.

40. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Now it's important that the Sox have a good homestand. Especially the next 2 games against Baltimore since TB is playing the Yankees. They need to slowly start to gain ground. This team's main problem has been 1 step forward, 2 steps back, 3 steps forward, 2 steps back etc. They need to go on a run here of playing good consistent baseball.