1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official 2012 Boston Red Sox Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Ray Finkle, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Sorry I just don't understand your post, I think you left some words out at the first sentence.

2. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Could be a fit for the Sox.....1 year deal like Hiro, although I think he probably gets a multi from somebody,...

3. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    This is what happens when i dont have coffee in me sigh...

Here we try again

Out of the three teams interested ( so far) the Rangers have the most left to spend on international FA's.

4. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Lohse will definitely get a multi-year deal. I don't see him as an option, nor do I really want him either. I think he's a NL pitcher.

5. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Thanks for reposting.

When does spending period end? I.E. Does it start on Jan 1st until Dec 31st? Is it at the end of the regular season to the end of next year's regular season? Do you know?

6. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    According to Baseball America just because Otani was drafted he can still sign with a MLB team at any time and does NOT have to wait to be posted OR wait until March or April to sign.

7. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    If he gets drafted and he signs with that team then is back to the posting fee BS. If he gets drafted and doesnt sign then he is a FA. Watch the Japanese media put alot of pressure on him to sign so that team can get the posting fee.

8. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Otani can sign with an MLB team at any time, an MLB official confirmed to Ben Badler of Baseball America. Signing with an MLB team at this stage would likely irk the Fighters and other Japanese baseball officials, however. If the Fighters sign Otani then attempt to post him, he'd still count against teams' $2.9MM international bonus pools, Badler reports. Fujinami expects to start his professional career in Japan, according to Badler. 8:10am: Shohei Otani, the Japanese pitching prospect who's drawing interest from Major League teams, won't be able to sign with an MLB franchise before April of 2013. As expected, the Nippon Ham Fighters selected the 18-year-old right-hander with the first overall pick in the NPB draft, Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker reports (on Twitter).
    The Fighters won’t necessarily be able to sign Otani, who has said he intends to pursue a career in MLB. They have until the end of March to agree to terms with the hard-throwing prospect under an agreement between MLB and NPB. If Otani declines to sign with the Fighters, MLB teams will be able to bid on him as a free agent, though they’ll be subject to international spending restrictions.
    The Hanshin Tigers selected Shintaro Fujinami, according to Ben Badler of Baseball America (on Twitter). Some scouts prefer Fujinami to Otani, Badler writes.

9. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
  10. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Thanks for the info LiferYank!

11. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Good article by (no surprise) Alex Speier of WEEI where he talks to Texas GM Jon Daniels about his 2007 trade of Mark Teixeira & Ron Mayhay to the Braves where it netted them Elvis Andrus, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Matt Harrison, Neftalia Feliz and Beau Jones and how he sees similiarities to the "Nick Punto Trade" the Red Sox made over the summer.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/bo...25/why-the-rangers-offer-hope-to-the-red-sox/

Obviously the Texas trade was one of the best star player for prospect trades in the past 10 years and while the Sox didn't get that haul, that trade was still the best thing for the franchise moving forward. Also interesting that Daniels called Cherington after the deal to congratulate him. I wonder how many people did the same to the Dodgers' GM.

12. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Thank you for saying what I said..... :lol:

13. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    you too.....

14. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

15. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I clarified and added information. You too you too....

16. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Not shocking at all. Sox also asked and received permission from Baltimore to interview Rick Peterson for the pitching coach job.

17. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Interesting article about the futures of the Red Sox and Yankee organizations on ESPN, its an Insider article so if you don't have it you can't view it:

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8545593/boston-red-sox-better-shape-new-york-yankees-mlb

Although there are some points I disagree with on both sides the general feeling in is when you look at the big picture of players on the current rosters, farm systems, payroll and long term contracts the Red Sox will be in the better position to contend in the long run since the Yankees have so many massive contracts to older players in the decline so there's not much roster flexibility and the Yankees need to decrease their payroll if get hit with that massive luxury tax.

Of course again like anything like this is fun to talk about in theory but a lot can and usually does happen on and off the field that can change opinions/positions. Again everyone loved that 2011 Red Sox team coming into the season when it got Gonzalez and Crawford and a full 12 months later the team finishes in last place and trades away both guys. Baseball is funny and yet great like that.

18. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Still trying/needing to compare Red Sox to Yankees....lots of laughs:up:

19. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Ugh.... just passing along what I think is an interesting article about the Red Sox. I would have done the same if it compared the Red Sox to the Royals or Braves or Orioles for example. If you have an issue with people comparing the Red Sox to the Yankees perhaps you should write an email to the writer(s) of such article(s).

20. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    :tongue2:

21. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Baseball America released their Red Sox top 10 prospects this morning:

1. Xander Bogaerts - SS
    2. Jackie Bradley, Jr. - CF
    3. Matt Barnes - RHP
    4. Allen Webster - RHP
    5. Henry Owens - LHP
    6. Blake Swihart - C
    7. Garin Cecchini - 3B
    8. Bryce Brentz - LF/RF
    9. Jose Iglesias - SS
    10. Deven Marrero - SS

No real surprises with the list except for maybe Jose Iglesias still in the top 10. It just goes to show you just how great his defense is. Rubby De La Rosa, the other pitcher acquired in the Punto Trade would have been at #4 between Barnes and Webster. The big omission on this list is Anthony Ranaudo who had a lost year due to injuries. Surprised Drake Britton didn't get a little more love but I'm guessing he was in that 10 to 15 range.

Bryce Brentz and Jackie Bradley are probably the closest prospects to the major league level (discounting Iglesias obviously). I wouldn't be shocked or surprised to see either guy get some playing time this year depending on injuries of course and need at the ML level.

Anyway BP should be releasing theirs soon and Keith Law releases his in January so it will be interesting to see how their lists match up.

22. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

23. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Atlanta
    Only surprise to me is that Owens is so high, but it's all about potential. Iglesias probably shouldn't be on the list but it gets thin very quick unless someone like Jacobs steps it up.

24. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Question...

Whats the point of trading with the Angels to get Haren if they are just going to decline his option anyway??

I mean the Sox aren't going to overpay for him so, if he doesn't fit into their budget they wont sign him anyway....

25. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I've heard they both agreed on the number of years (2) but it's on the salary now. This deal will get done, not worried about it at all.

26. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I listened to the WEEI Podcast Alex Speier had with BA's Jim Callis, the reason why Iglesias is still in the top 10 is because they still believe he will hit just enough to be an everyday MLB SS because his glove is that good and the offensive potential at SS isn't what it use to be in the late 90s/early 2000s as teams would rather sacrifice offense for a sure thing with the glove.

They like Owens because he's a tall young LHP who throws hard and hides the ball well.

27. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Because then you're not guaranteed that Haren will sign with your club if he becomes a FA or if they wait and see it's possible he's traded to a different club. If they make the trade for him, they are the ones that have control of the situation. If they simply sit back and wait there are a lot of other factors involved and there's a higher chance you don't get him.

It's a tough call on what to do but it all depends on the pay tag. If they can get him without giving up a good prospect(s), I say go for it. Assuming his medicals come back clean of course.

28. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Rumor from LAA beat writer: the Angels are trying to trade Dan Haren and Vernon Wells for John Lackey.

Haren is owed 15.5M for this year while Wells is making 21M in '13 and '14 totalling 57.5M. Lackey is making 15.25M in '13 and '14 and because he got hurt and missed the '12 season there is a team option for him in 2015 for 500k(!!), totalling 31M so obviously money will have to exchange hands to even out the deal, I would think.

Personally, as crazy as this sounds I'd rather keep Lackey for the next 3 years instead of trading for 1 year of Haren and dead weight in Wells. Unless the Sox feel like Wells can have a bounce back playing part time at Fenway or if Lackey is really a clubhouse problem (something we have no idea of knowing but the players seem to absolutely love the guy) or if the Sox can get a lot of money back from the Angels or another player/prospect I'd pass.

EDIT: Red Sox beatr writers already shooting this down saying the Sox have zero interest in Wells.

29. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I just dont get it......Fink why the hell dont they just pay this guy the 12.5 over 2 years?? Is it really that bad of a contract??

30. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    You're assuming that it's the Sox side being the hold up. Perhaps Ortiz is asking for more money now.

31. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Given the the track record yes I am assuming you are right....but most reports have him accepting less on a 2 year deal....and they are saying it is "gap" in the numbers....

So it is him asking for 14/year and them saying come down to 12-12.5........orrrrrrrrrrrrrr is it......

the Sox asking for him at 7-9M and he wants them to come up to 12.5

32. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Sox could also be looking at it as, next year Haren gets a qualifying offer, and they get a draft pick....if he signs great, if not great, they get a draft pick....by the end of next year, they are rid of all three contracts, and they get a draft pick out of it.....

as opposed of Lackey in 3 years you wont....

pretty smart if u ask me....

33. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I think it's more likely Ortiz asking for more a year than the Sox low balling him. But that's simply a guess.

I think the deal will get done, just take a little longer.

34. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    But Vernon Wells is basically a waste of a roster space and depending on the money going back and forth it might not even be worth that. Of course again if Haren walks they're out an arm, while with Lackey they have him for at least 2 years and the 3rd year he'd be making peanuts. The contract lengths are important too.

35. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

36. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Word is Sox and Ortiz agreed to a 2 year 26M deal.

37. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Cody Ross told WEEI.com's Rob Bradford that he and the Red Sox never got close to a new deal during the exclusive negotiating period this week. "They had a ton of opportunities," said the outfielder. "We talked about this back in July and we couldn't work anything out up until the deadline. Now it only makes sense to listen to other teams."

Wow, gotta say this one surprised me, thought for sure no doubt Ross and Sox were a match made in heaven for 2013. Hmmm, not sure what to think about the decision.

38. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    He's a 31 year old platoon player. He kills lefties and yes Fenway is built for him but he's replaceable. Would I like the Sox to resign him? Yes, but I think he and his agent are looking for a bigger/longer contract than he's really worth. If he signs elsewhere I'm not going to lose sleep over it. He's not the type of player to offer a long term deal to.

39. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Take it for whatever it's worth but ESPN.com's Keith Law posted his top 50 free agents of this offseason and Cody Ross didn't even make the cut. I think people are overrating him a bit. He's a nice player, a useful one as a platoon but let's not go crazy about him.

The only Red Sox FA that made the list was Matsuzaka at #47 (Ortiz obviously didn't make it because he was never a FA).

40. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    My point was that Red Sox are not a smart FO......thus, not signing him because they would have been thinking he was something he wasnt is what shocked me. :tongue2:

maybe I really do have to change my opinion of them. :yes:

nah, just chalk it up to dumb luck right now. lets see how the full Hot Stove shakes out.