1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

****The Official 2013-14 NBA Thread****

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Boik14, Jul 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Maybe he had an injury?

finyank13 likes this.
  2. Mainge

Mainge Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    I think it is actually pretty common in basketball, no?

3. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I don't really pay attention to teams so I probably just mispoke..it just seems odd that that it is used given not many players are on the team...

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't think Council had an injury. I think they wanted to get Cedric Jackson some time and also wanted to get Ian Clark some looks at point guard. They couldn't do that if they were still rotating Kabongo and Council at point guard. Myck Kabongo may have run out of chances after those two games, so it wouldn't shock me to see him sitting today while Council and Jackson played.

D.J. Kennedy needs to sit. To me, he was clearly the worst player on the floor in the two games.

I didn't think Dunigan was all that worthy of praise either. He scored some but he was terrible on defense and refused to run the floor, allowed Mason Plumlee to beat him in transition multiple times. He showed some decent offensive capabilities from the post but to me the worst sin you can commit on the Miami Heat is to be a big that doesn't run the floor.

Section126 and finyank13 like this.
  5. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The NFL needs 3 advanced stats: passer rating, defensive passer rating, net yards per passing attempt.

CaribPhin, Section126 and Mainge like this.
  6. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Learning Spanish from a chick I can't picture with clothes on.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

finyank13 likes this.
  7. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I love passer rating. Maybe a move to making 100 the upper bound is in order but otherwise I'm with you.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Desides likes this.
  8. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I hope so, I watched him for 4 years be the one most underrated point guards in the Big East He was going to be 1st team All Big East till he blew out a hammy on the first game of the season last year....he had 4 TO's in the first game which is surprising because that's his strong point (possessing the ball).....He must have been nervous as hell.....

Skinny on VC, good ball handler, better dribble drive and dish, not a good shooter.....

Decent defender though, although I worry about his size in the NBA....I think he ultimately ends up overseas...

9. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Never a good sign when Dan Craig is seen waving his arm and screaming..."Move!" after a Defensive rebound.

10. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    James Ennis looks like a real solid player. He's playing very well in this 3rd summer league game.

11. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I'd actually like to see it uncapped. 158.3 is a weird number, yes, but people understand that 158.3 is higher than 75. And there have been performances that would have rated well past 158.3 if the formula were uncapped.

OK, back to basketball now.

12. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Jarvis Varnado ended Victor Oladipo's career.

13. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Expand on that?

14. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Oladipo goes to dunk....and.......

Varnado's hand hits ball..one guy goes one way...other guy goes the other...High Draft pick highly embarrassed.

Alex44 likes this.
  15. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Oh, and the Heat have the next slam dunk champion if they keep him. This kid DJ Stephens is flying.

16. Mrtree

Mrtree Juan Huron's agent

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    CK's been pimping the guy so I watched some video on him. Easy guy to become a fan of.

17. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    The Heat SWEEP the Magic..and have now moved into a First Place tie with OKC.

The Heat are basically a Win and change away from playing for the Orlando Summer League Title.

MOE RINGGGGZZZZZ.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Where can I check out the stats for the Summer League? I want to see how Oladipo is playing.

19. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    He killing it kinda. Go to NBA.com

come on Council sans the TOs he is with Jackson. Stop turning the ball over!!!

Anonymous likes this.
  20. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    The guy (DJ Stephens) literally kisses the rim!! CK scouting non-stop...working damn hard.

21. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    By far best LeBron video on YouTube. By far.

[video=youtube;mo1yFIKxPfc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo1yFIKxPfc[/video]

305 and finyank13 like this.
  22. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
  23. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    That was very good Tip

TiP54 likes this.
  24. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Nope...hopefully it's for the vet min and then it's going to be interesting to see who the Heat get with their mid-level exception.

25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    First off, really good to see Birdman back. The Heat were just a different team when they got him this year. He was and is exactly what they need.

As for today's summer league game, hard to complain about anything anyone did on that team considering how well they took it to what I had thought was a pretty tough Magic summer league team featuring decent the three O's: Oladipo, O'Quinn and Osby. Not to mention Mo Harkless.

But then, there probably would've been some complaints if my whipping boy D.J. Kennedy had played. Or probably Myck Kabongo who has been a huge disappointment. Neither guy plays a single minute and wonder of wonders you play your best game of the summer league week.

Thinking about the entire week in context, I think Scotty Hopson might be a little too up and down. You could sense it in the first game, that he was an athletic, ball handling creator and that when it's hot, it's red hot...but when it's cold, it's ice cold. Victor Council did better than he did in the first game but he still wasn't great. Cedrick Jackson is a guy that steadily improved from yesterday to today almost quarter-by-quarter. He's the guy that runs the point on this Heat summer league team which very well may win the title for the week. You want to keep winning and win the championship game on Friday, Cedrick Jackson is your point man. I liked the look and athleticism of Eric Griffin in the first game even though hardly anyone played well in that game. He really followed up today playing well considering he had very limited minutes in the second half. Very big, very athletic, great jumping ability.

My guy D.J. Stephens got a little more into the flow today, only played 11 minutes yesterday and it's been hard with limited opportunity to establish himself. But his leaping ability is a threat anywhere on the floor. He can block a jumper you didn't think could be blocked, or force the shooter to alter his shot. He can protect the rim when you thought you had a bunny because all that stood between yourself and the rim was a 6'5" guy. He can produce Tecmo Super Bowl style cut scene leaps in the air that disrupt cross court passes you wouldn't normally expect to be in jeopardy. He's fast and can get down the court and finish at the rim in transition. He just needs to learn to be more aggressive and selfish. Least, that's how I view it. But he's been nowhere near a consistent threat in these two games he's played.

The guys that have given steady performance both for good and bad are Ian Clark, James Ennis and Jarvis Sharknado. They may not be putting up the same exact numbers from one quarter to the next, but that's mostly situational and opportunity-based. With all three players you seem to know how they're going to handle every situation that presents itself. Jarvis is going to generally suck on offense when you pass the ball to him under the rim, but also block pretty much everything that comes within 15 feet of the rim. He'll try and do some ball handling and creating but it'll straddle the line between "good enough" and "awkward" and it probably won't be successful at the end. He needs to be fed. Ian Clark is going to knock down open threes. He's just going to do it. If you run the offense and he gets open for a three and you kick it out to him before a man can get in his face, the ball will drop through the net. But he'll also create his own spot up opportunities and make shots a fair amount too, and if you give him a lane he'll attack the rim and finish. James Ennis is going to be a turnover machine if you give him the ball and ask him to handle it too much. He's also going to get dumb fouls or knock the ball out of bounds. But he's also going to finish at the rim when you draw defenders away, make free throws when fouled, knock down a decent percentage of threes you create for him, and he's going to block one or two, steal one or two, because of his length and athleticism. Seems to me like he's consistent and the thing that changes is just the quality of his opportunities.

26. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Dude if Council by some stroke of insane fortune makes the Heat, I would be a Heat fan.....:lol:

27. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    It's interesting watching Miami switch from a football city to a basketball city. The Heat have been run so much better for so long, I find it incredible how long it takes for that to finally take hold. Cleveland is still a football city, but it's starting to shift a bit as well.

Or at least that's what it seems to an outsider. I find the hierarchy of teams within a single city really interesting, though.

NolesNPhinsFan likes this.
  28. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Well I mean, even if you're just a casual fan (eherm, bandwagoner, not exempting myself), it's pretty difficult to transition from watching confetti and champagne swirl around a team winning a second consecutive championship after their third consecutive finals appearance and talking (without seeming ridiculous) about going to a fourth consecutive finals and potentially winning a third consecutive trophy...to being all excited because Mike Sherman says he expects Ryan Tannehill to improve in his second year, and the Dolphins might sign this one fullback nobody seems to want. It's like walking on one of those people-movers at the airport. If you just keep walking like normal, when the people-mover ends and you're back to walking on stationary ground there's this momentary stumble and "WTF?" feeling.

29. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    It seems they are at least headed in the right direction but it's July so what do you expect?

30. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    that's so great, well done CK....

31. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I wonder if it's really switched. My impression from my friends and family down there is that the excitement level at the start of football season is still higher than it is at the beginning of basketball season. Obviously, right now everyone claims to be a Heat fan and a basketball fan and it's easy to to bag on the Dolphins since they've struggled for so long, but what will happen once the football season starts? My feeling is that the Heat's success has made it both a football and a basketball town. I would not say that it's switched from football to basketball.

Anonymous and Fin-Omenal like this.
  32. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    I've always preferred basketball over football, so this Heat run has been nothing short of magical for me. However, there is something I love about watching the offseason moves and reports about the Dolphins each year that I just don't get the same feeling about. It's the anticipation of opening day and the hope that maybe, just maybe, we will have a winning record and upset New England for the division. I don't know, I am just on the edge of my seat for every regular season game because therea re only 16 of them. With the Heat, even if they lose in the regular season it doesn't bother me. The playoffs are a different story, but the emotional highs and lows from the Dolphins are one of a kind for me (I guess it has been more lows than highs recently, at least the Heat more than balance that out). I also love how we always have a week to analyze and break down every game - with basketball it is more like an "on to the next one" mentality IMO.

TiP54 likes this.
  33. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That's a good point. I really enjoy the developmental process of players and building a team. For me the NBA draft and offseason is not nearly as fun as the NFL draft and offseason. Personally that make football a year round thing and basketball a seasonal thing. Now the NBA playoffs are clearly special. I was an usher at Miami arena back in the Heat's first season (just so I could see more games than I could afford) so they've been my team for a long time and these last few seasons have been magical, but I think it's very unlikely that basketball will ever pass football for me personally. It may draw even, possibly, but I doubt it will ever surpass football.

CaribPhin, dolfan32323 and TiP54 like this.
  34. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Per Rotoworld a few rumors out there...

Sam Amick reports on USA Today that if the Lakers amnesty Metta World Peace, his preferred teams, in order, are the Knicks, Clippers, Nets, Bulls, Heat, Thunder, Spurs and Pacers.
    Notice a pattern? MWP wants to play for a championship and this report throws cold water on the notion that he would retire if L.A. lets him go. The other takeaway, and possibly the reason retirement was even mentioned, is that he doesn't want a non-playoff team to claim him (and his $7.7 million salary) off waivers.
    Related: Nets, Bulls, Clippers, Heat, Knicks
    Source: USA Today
    Jul 10 - 9:39 AM

Also, San Antonio wants AK47 but Wolves Gm Flip Saunders is refusing to engage the Spurs in a Sign and Trade. Conversely Saunders wants Corey Brewer but the Nuggets are refusing to engage him in a Sign and Trade possibility. Funny how that works.

Knicks are OUT on Elton Brand. Kenyon Martin is still a very real possibility.

The Bucks are readying an offer sheet for Jeff Teague and a sign and trade with Atlanta where Atlanta gets Jennings or Monta Ellis could be forthcoming.

35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Do the Heat have room on this team for Metta World Peace? I'm not sure they do.

36. Mrtree

Mrtree Juan Huron's agent

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    As for comparing different teams there is one other striking difference to me.

Culture.

In football you know who the Steelers, Ravens, Green Bay, San Fran etc are. Even when they have a down year you know the kind of team they will build and who they will be.

The Heat have had this since Riley came here. Win or lose you know the TYPE of team they will put together every year and that they will play to an identity.

Who the hell are the Dolphins? Every since Shula left I've felt like the Dolphins feel listless and rudderless. Maybe Philbin can change this. I like the guy from what I've seen so far but there is so much to be done. What Miami Dolphins football is and means needs to be redifined and clear. They need to get back to having a clear identity.

I know EXACTLY who the Heat are.

37. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    At the veterans minimum they do. Same situation as NYK. He probably wont require more then that since hes being amnestied by LAL at 7.7M.

38. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    All it takes is one coach to change the culture, we'll see where Philbin is this season.

Look at San Francisco... a decade of mediocrity then Jim Harbaugh arrived.

39. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    It has.

Heat games beat Dolphin games in TV Ratings.

Heat Gate receipts are higher than Dolphin gate receipts.

The average expenditure per person is higher at the AAA than at JRS.

The Heat waiting list for season tickets is larger than the number of new season ticket holders for the Dolphins this year.

ckparrothead likes this.
  40. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Dude..that is so true.

The SUMMER LEAGUE team! plays with the same style as the Big Club!

and the consistency. It's family. same people for the last 17 years. This matters.

Ludacris likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.