The Official 2013 MLB Post Season Thread

159 replies

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Oct 7, 2013, 04:39 PM

"finyank13 wrote:

Really Fink you think Colletti? Well that would make sense, it is a dumb move and he is dumb so there's that....

I think it was a group discussion and decision made yes. In the very least Colletti signed off on it. You don't make a big decision like that without talking to your boss first. That's how normal front offices are run anyway.

muscle979muscle979Forum Veteran
Oct 7, 2013, 05:10 PM

Why do they need to start Kershaw tonight? So what if they happen to lose? Then they just send out Kershaw for game 5 on full rest. It's unlikely Medlen would be able to match up with him, especially the way the Dodgers have hit in the series. This is puzzling to me. I thought the only way Kershaw would go out tonight was if Atlanta was up. I still think the Braves lose this series but this is an odd move. It's like they're trying to increase the odds of Atlanta being able to have success against their ace.

Nappy RootsNappy RootsForum Veteran
Oct 7, 2013, 05:45 PM

Only reason they would do this is because they think this gives them the best shot at Kershaw going game 1 of the NLCS. Dumb move.

muscle979muscle979Forum Veteran
Oct 7, 2013, 07:02 PM

"Nappy Roots wrote:

Only reason they would do this is because they think this gives them the best shot at Kershaw going game 1 of the NLCS. Dumb move.

They could get him in Game 2. They'd be crazy to start him in Game 1 IMO. Greinke is good enough to start Game 1. Seems to me they just have little confidence in Nolasco and want to avoid a trip back to Atlanta.

Nappy RootsNappy RootsForum Veteran
Oct 7, 2013, 07:16 PM

true

Nappy RootsNappy RootsForum Veteran
Oct 7, 2013, 07:17 PM

BTW. I started a youtube page with the a few of the kids Ive been working with over the past month. Got a new kid today. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/InspirationBaseball

Nappy RootsNappy RootsForum Veteran
Oct 7, 2013, 09:39 PM

Baseball needs instant replay. Im done....

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Oct 7, 2013, 11:55 PM

Some great ballgames today, and think the atmosphere in Pittsburgh is amazing

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Oct 8, 2013, 07:19 AM

2 games with go ahead and eventual winning home run in late innings, that was some great MLB action.

So much so, barely watched the MNF game.

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Oct 8, 2013, 07:28 AM

"padre31 wrote:

2 games with go ahead and eventual winning home run in late innings, that was some great MLB action.

So much so, barely watched the MNF game.

That was the last day of the season with a full line up of baseball games unfortunately. From now on it's just one or two games a day for the next week and a half until the WS.

finyank13finyank13New Member
Oct 8, 2013, 08:45 AM

Could it end any more devastatingly for the Braves?? No bunt no bunt, bang home run....

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Oct 8, 2013, 08:51 AM

"finyank13 wrote:

Could it end any more devastatingly for the Braves?? No bunt no bunt, bang home run....

Which is good baseball to watch.

Braves fans are so used to the bullpen blowing things in the post season it's not unexpected.

SamphinSamphinNew Member
Oct 8, 2013, 10:59 AM

Juan Uribe essentially paid for his horrid contract with that home run. Carl Crawford as well.

Looks like Andre Ethier will be back for the NLCS too, which means the lineup gets longer (Skip Schumaker is just sort of...there).

I assume Greinke goes in game 1 with Kershaw coming back for Game 2. Looks like Mattingly's play of using Clayton on short rest was a good one with St. Louis their series.

Nappy RootsNappy RootsForum Veteran
Oct 8, 2013, 01:04 PM

"Samphin wrote:

Juan Uribe essentially paid for his horrid contract with that home run. Carl Crawford as well.

Looks like Andre Ethier will be back for the NLCS too, which means the lineup gets longer (Skip Schumaker is just sort of...there).

I assume Greinke goes in game 1 with Kershaw coming back for Game 2. Looks like Mattingly's play of using Clayton on short rest was a good one with St. Louis their series.

Still dont think it was a good one.

SamphinSamphinNew Member
Oct 8, 2013, 10:21 PM

"Nappy Roots wrote:

Still dont think it was a good one.

I was against the Kershaw start as well, but Nolasco has been awful as of late and avoiding a flight to Atlanta, and a game five on the road, is huge. It also gives Ethier extra rest for the NLCS. His pitch count was somewhat controlled at 91 pitches and he will get his full rest before his next start, be it in St. Louis or in L.A. Against The Pirates.

I suppose his next start will be telling, but as it stands now, it was a wise decision by Mattingly. Kershaw gave up no earned runs through six innings and seemed to have no wear and tear on his body.

Also, I think The A's blew an opportunity today. Yes, they get game five at home, but Detroit is a veteran club that can mitigate the crazy crowd and be patient throughout the game. I they get down early, they know they can fight back. I would seriously expect Verlander to try to establish inside early, and try to intimidate the young, emotional A's.

Oct 8, 2013, 11:37 PM

The last few days have been a thrill. I love playoff baseball.

Now if only the Mets could participate sometime soon.

Nappy RootsNappy RootsForum Veteran
Oct 8, 2013, 11:48 PM

Maddon hasn't been top notch with managing during these playoffs. And the end of all was starting Hellickson. Then proceeded to **** up more by pulling Moore to soon. A lot of regret in these playoffs. Boston played a cleaner series. Tampa clearly can play with these guys, but for whatever reason, the great defensive and sound minded team, just decided to **** off during the Boston series. Frustrating.

Nappy RootsNappy RootsForum Veteran
Oct 8, 2013, 11:56 PM

Another mistake, pinch hitting Matt Joyce....awful...

Jt0323Jt0323Staff
Oct 9, 2013, 12:15 AM

As/Detroit series is looking a lot like their series last year

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Oct 9, 2013, 07:48 AM

"Nappy Roots wrote:

Maddon hasn't been top notch with managing during these playoffs. And the end of all was starting Hellickson. Then proceeded to **** up more by pulling Moore to soon. A lot of regret in these playoffs. Boston played a cleaner series. Tampa clearly can play with these guys, but for whatever reason, the great defensive and sound minded team, just decided to **** off during the Boston series. Frustrating.

I thought Maddon made a lot of mistakes last night and overall in the series. If you're going to start Hellickson but are ok with pulling him in the 2nd inning, why even start him in the first place? Just strange. Asking your bullpen to get 26 outs is a hell of a task which is why I didn't understand him pulling Matt Moore when he did and even putting him in when he did with a runner on. Just a lot of weird/strange moves by Maddon.

I think what really hurt the Rays was the lack of hitting. I mean outside of Longoria, the Rays didn't have a hitter that really scared me at the plate. Perhaps they should look at the A's model of trading for hitters in the offseason.

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Oct 9, 2013, 07:59 AM

Nappy did Maddon ever say why he didn't go with Chris Archer to start the 3rd inning or why he took Moore out so quickly?

Nappy RootsNappy RootsForum Veteran
Oct 9, 2013, 08:10 AM

"Ray Finkle wrote:

I thought Maddon made a lot of mistakes last night and overall in the series. If you're going to start Hellickson but are ok with pulling him in the 2nd inning, why even start him in the first place? Just strange. Asking your bullpen to get 26 outs is a hell of a task which is why I didn't understand him pulling Matt Moore when he did and even putting him in when he did with a runner on. Just a lot of weird/strange moves by Maddon.

I think what really hurt the Rays was the lack of hitting. I mean outside of Longoria, the Rays didn't have a hitter that really scared me at the plate. Perhaps they should look at the A's model of trading for hitters in the offseason.

I have to agree. Hitting was a real concern here. Our best/2nd best hitter(Myers is that good), had 2 infield singles in the series. Zobrist struggled. We have some great pieces, definitely need to add to that if they plan on competing for a championship.

"Ray Finkle wrote:

Nappy did Maddon ever say why he didn't go with Chris Archer to start the 3rd inning or why he took Moore out so quickly?

Maddon's claim was because Moore wasn't a reliever, he didn't know how long he would successful in that role. Which makes no sense to me. I think he simply outsmarted himself in this series.

He never said anything about Archer, I cant only help but think that he just didn't trust archer. But then he brings him in a very tough and stressful situation later in the game?

A lot of what he did this series made no sense. I've always thought his actual game management was a tad over rated. But he certainly pushes the right buttons with the players. So you take the good with the, not so good.

LILiferYankNew Member
Oct 9, 2013, 08:23 AM

"Ray Finkle wrote:

I thought Maddon made a lot of mistakes last night and overall in the series. If you're going to start Hellickson but are ok with pulling him in the 2nd inning, why even start him in the first place? Just strange. Asking your bullpen to get 26 outs is a hell of a task which is why I didn't understand him pulling Matt Moore when he did and even putting him in when he did with a runner on. Just a lot of weird/strange moves by Maddon.

I think what really hurt the Rays was the lack of hitting. I mean outside of Longoria, the Rays didn't have a hitter that really scared me at the plate. Perhaps they should look at the A's model of trading for hitters in the offseason.

Price for Taveras? Price for Castallanos ( spelling??) Might as well get the crystal balls out and hazard a guess.

Nappy RootsNappy RootsForum Veteran
Oct 9, 2013, 08:30 AM

"LiferYank wrote:

Price for Taveras? Price for Castallanos ( spelling??) Might as well get the crystal balls out and hazard a guess.

I doubt either would happen. Castellanos isn't our type of player, and I don't think he's that great anyways. And I don't think the Cards would be interested. Although I certainly would be for Taveras.

LILiferYankNew Member
Oct 9, 2013, 09:16 AM

"Nappy Roots wrote:

I doubt either would happen. Castellanos isn't our type of player, and I don't think he's that great anyways. And I don't think the Cards would be interested. Although I certainly would be for Taveras.

What do you think is possible/ you would like to see.

It was obvious they need another bat around Longoria... Myers i think will be great be he isnt yet....