1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official 2013 New York Yankees Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Jt0323, Nov 17, 2009.

Tags:
  1. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    http://espn.go.com/fantasy/blog/_/n...rson-derek-jeter-mark-teixeira-alex-rodriguez

Curtis Granderson, OF (injured Feb. 24, due back mid-May): Even Granderson was surprised when the "bruise" from a J.A. Happ fastball in a spring exhibition game turned out to be a fracture. Granderson has remained focused on conditioning ever since so that once the healing in his arm permitted it, he would be able to get baseball-ready in short order. Manager Joe Girardi says Granderson could hit soft toss or off a tee as soon as this weekend, keeping him on track for a mid-May return.

Derek Jeter, SS (injured October 2011, no timetable for return): It almost feels as if once Jeter realized he could not return for Opening Day, the reset button was hit on his timetable clock. Jeter himself was pushing to be back by the start of the season but his still-healing 38-year-old ankle would not cooperate. It's hardly a failure -- except perhaps to the ultra-competitive, hardworking athlete that Jeter is -- that he could not get to game readiness by Opening Day; recovery from this type of surgery (plates and screws in the lower leg to restore ankle stability) takes months to heal, and then more months to return to everyday playing form. Jeter is currently working out in Tampa doing baseball drills and, most importantly, progressing his running from water to land. The team (wisely) will not hear of his return until he can play in minor league games on back-to-back days, something which is still a ways off. The Yankees are not being coy about a timetable here; it literally is a stepwise process where the next level of activity is dictated by response to the previous level. Jeter is literally as day-to-day as they come, but based on what he is currently doing it appears like early May is in his sights.

Mark Teixeira, 1B (injured March 5, due back in May): Teixeira has been hopeful he will avoid the fate of Blue Jays outfielder Jose Bautista, who also suffered a partially torn tendon sheath which ultimately required surgery. Teixeira's right wrist was immobilized after his injury in the hopes that the sheath would heal itself and he says he did not experience any instability of the tendon itself (something Bautista did feel which led him to surgery). All reports of Teixeira's progress have been excellent so far. On April 1, he was permitted to remove the brace (other than for workouts) and he has been focusing on strengthening exercises for his wrist and forearm. He still has not been cleared to swing a bat however and doing so, especially from the left side (the side he bats from primarily and also the way in which he was originally hurt), will be the ultimate test. Even if the early swings are uneventful, the big challenge will be when he returns to hitting in a game situation, going all out on his swing, repeatedly. Teixeira is hopeful he can return by the start of May but there will be no rush. After all, if the sheath re-tears or he proves unable to function at the plate, he will find himself following in Bautista's footsteps into the operating room.

Alex Rodriguez, 3B (estimated back around All-Star Break): There hasn't been much to report on Rodriguez because, well, he has remained mostly hidden from view. When he did emerge to meet the media on Opening Day, Rodriguez merely confirmed that he was dedicating himself to the rehab of his surgically repaired left hip. He was guarded about his progress, saying he was only in "Stage 1" of his recovery. Based on the surgical procedure to address hip impingement along with a labral repair, it is reasonable to expect Rodriguez to be ready around the second half of the season. But until he is actually participating in baseball activities and approaching minor league games, it's too early to make any definitive claims.

Michael Pineda, SP (surgery May 2011, due back June/July): Pineda's debut season with the Yankees went exactly the opposite of how everyone envisioned it and ended abruptly with him undergoing surgery to repair a torn labrum. The rehab has been long and arduous and Pineda has also used the time to get in better physical shape, something he unquestionably needed to do. While there are never any guarantees as to how a pitcher will perform following shoulder surgery, recent signs of Pineda's recovery and his young age are encouraging. He has been throwing bullpens, even incorporating breaking pitches in the past month. He still has a ways to go before he can definitively return to "healthy" status but there is reason to be optimistic he will contribute in the second half.

finyank13 likes this.
  2. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130409&content_id=44329848&vkey=news_nyy&c_id=nyy

where to watch

[TABLE="class: stats_table"]
    [TR]
    [TH]Rank[/TH]
    [TH]Player[/TH]
    [TH]Team[/TH]
    [TH]Level[/TH]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]1[/TD]
    [TD]Gary Sanchez[/TD]
    [TD]Tampa[/TD]
    [TD]A+[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]2[/TD]
    [TD]Mason Williams[/TD]
    [TD]Tampa[/TD]
    [TD]A+[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]3[/TD]
    [TD]Tyler Austin[/TD]
    [TD]Trenton[/TD]
    [TD]AA[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]4[/TD]
    [TD]Slade Heathcott[/TD]
    [TD]Trenton[/TD]
    [TD]AA[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]5[/TD]
    [TD]Manny Banuelos[/TD]
    [TD]Trenton[/TD]
    [TD]AA[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]6[/TD]
    [TD]Ty Hensley[/TD]
    [TD]DL[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]7[/TD]
    [TD]Angelo Gumbs[/TD]
    [TD]Tampa[/TD]
    [TD]A+[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]8[/TD]
    [TD]Mark Montgomery[/TD]
    [TD]Scranton/WB[/TD]
    [TD]AAA[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]9[/TD]
    [TD]Dante Bichette Jr.[/TD]
    [TD]Charleston[/TD]
    [TD]A[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]10[/TD]
    [TD]Zoilo Almonte[/TD]
    [TD]Scranton/WB[/TD]
    [TD]AAA[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]11[/TD]
    [TD]Ramon Flores[/TD]
    [TD]Trenton[/TD]
    [TD]AA[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]12[/TD]
    [TD]Jose Campos[/TD]
    [TD]Charleston[/TD]
    [TD]A[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]13[/TD]
    [TD]Jose A. Ramirez[/TD]
    [TD]Trenton (DL)[/TD]
    [TD]AA[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]14[/TD]
    [TD]Nik Turley[/TD]
    [TD]Trenton[/TD]
    [TD]AA[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]15[/TD]
    [TD]Bryan Mitchell[/TD]
    [TD]Tampa[/TD]
    [TD]A+[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]16[/TD]
    [TD]Brett Marshall[/TD]
    [TD]Scranton/WB[/TD]
    [TD]AAA[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]17[/TD]
    [TD]Adam Warren[/TD]
    [TD]New York[/TD]
    [TD]MLB[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]18[/TD]
    [TD]Austin Romine[/TD]
    [TD]Scranton/WB[/TD]
    [TD]AAA[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]19[/TD]
    [TD]Dellin Betances[/TD]
    [TD]Scranton/WB[/TD]
    [TD]AAA[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]20[/TD]
    [TD]Tom Kahnle[/TD]
    [TD]Trenton[/TD]
    [TD]AA[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    Click here for the complete Top 20 list on Prospect Watch.

finyank13 likes this.
  3. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    what a fall for Betences huh? not undeserving though....

4. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yup, just goes to show you how hard baseball is and how everyone tends to overrate prospects. I remember 2 or 3 years ago everyone was going nuts for the new Killer Bs (Brackman, Betences and Banuelous) and how they were going to be the future etc.

One of the things I enjoy doing is looking back at old prospect lists and reading them. I still remember thinking Craig Hansen was going to be our closer for the next 10 years, ugh.

finyank13 likes this.
  5. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I do believe they are starting to get some talent on the farm for the first time in a long time.....

Nuno pitched last night too very well, 2 really good starts to start off the season so far....someone to keep an eye on bring up if lobhead keeps throwing softballs every 5 days...

6. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yes I would agree with that. They have a couple of good OFers and Sanchez too.

7. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Ohhh this is getting wayyyyyyyy too delicious.

8. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    The whole Arod thing reminds me of Lance Armstrong. Personally this whole thing sounds fishy, they are just trying to get arod.

Anyway, nice 4 game winning streak. Awesome triple play! and we are now above .500! Things are looking pretty good with the yanks! lets keep this up

9. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Oh, back in first!

10. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    A-Rod is the big name sure but there are others on there as well....I love it, I hope they suspend him foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

11. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    yeah but arod is the one that is in the headlines and is the reason anyone even cares

12. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Maybe using Lance Armstrong is a poor example.

But I agree the whole thing sounds way too crazy to be true. Then again it is Arod we are talking about.

finyank13 likes this.
  13. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    if its true its not! :lol: but yeah it sounds far fetch, if its true though it wouldn't surprise me. I wish I had some dirt on him that he could pay me for.

finyank13 likes this.
  14. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    you are talking about a guy donated 1% of his charity's earning to Foundations.....this is totally believable.....

15. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I wouldn't put anything past this guy to be honest with you. If I heard a story that he flew to Mars on a plane he built himself and flew back I'd believe it.

finyank13 likes this.
  16. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    hahahahah wtf? that might MIGHT be sig worthy.....

Ray Finkle likes this.
  17. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Just trying to think of something completely insane.

finyank13 likes this.
  18. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Monster shot by Gardner today.

19. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Kuroda was dominate tonight

20. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Obviously way way way early in the MLB season but do think it's funny looking at the AL East standings right now after some teams were completely written off while others were basically printing WS tickets.

finyank13 likes this.
  21. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    That's why it is played on the field.....and I thought that this Division is going to be determined by as we said who stays the most healthy......

I will say and again I know it is early, but Lester looks to be back, and Buck what can say about him, kid is dealing....although CP is a question it seems which wasn't before..

Balt is still the same good team, but they just severely lack punch in that lineup...

Same with TB, they might be even more punchless than last year which is scary kinda..

Toronto is the most baffling right now, they should be pulling a "Dodgers" right now running away at 11-1 but I guess the AL East has something to say about it....

And the Yanks eh they are what I thought they would be.....500.....I just love the way they are winning games though, especially the last too.....doing the little things, small ball, playing counts etc...

22. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I'm nervous about this season for the rays. Our lineup is just beyond awful. Unless we make a move were not seeing the playoffs

23. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    If the closer position is the only question mark of the Sox, I'd gladly take it as they have internal options for that and there are always RPers available in the open market that can fill in.

I still don't understand Baltimore, just looking at the roster they just don't scare me. They don't have an ace, just a bunch of #3/4 types. And the line up outside of Jones, Wieters, Markakis and Manny Machado just don't do much for me. I'm not buying Chris Davis yet.

TB at least still has the starting pitching that can shut down offenses and I'm going to assume in a few weeks Wil Myers will be up to help with the offense a bit. TB still worries me.

The Yankees, with all their injuries, still have the starting pitching. The only question I have is if Jeter, Teixeira and Arod don't come back and don't produce like they normally do I question the production of their replacements. Sure Wells, Overbay, Youkilis, Nunez etc are going a nice job so far but if you give them 500 plus at bats what will happen.

And I never bought into the Blue Jays. They made the most noise in the offseason but there were still just as many question marks with them as the other 4 AL East teams. Again it's early but Buerhle has looked poor and he never had overpowering stuff to begin with, Johnson was sitting at 88 to 90 MPH last start and his stuff hasn't been great and relying on a knuckleball pitcher to be the ace of the staff always makes me pause. Plus you knew Reyes would get hurt eventually especially playing all those home games on turf andthe Jays have a lot of holes in that line up too. And they did nothing to upgrade their bullpen.

Again like you said, the winner of the AL East is going to be the healthest team during the whole 162 games.

Calling up Myers is the obvious move but yeah besides Longoria and Zobrist the TB line up is pretty light. I still think they will be ok overall though.

24. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    With a Myers call up and people start hitting like Escobar and Joyce. We may be able to make a run at the playoffs. But let's be honest. No one outside of Zobrist is really hitting well right now. Jennings, Longo, and especially Joyce whose been awful will hit better. Escobar will as well. He's a good hitter so id expect he didn't just have a collapse. Even with Myers up though. That still leaves Escobar, our entire awful catching roster, and James Loney. I leave Ryan Roberts out because I actually like him. That lineup is good enough with our pitching an defense to win games. But I don't see the playoffs out of the East.

25. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Kind of surprised TB didn't try to do more to upgrade their offense in the offseason. Obviously getting Myers was huge and even Escobar was a pretty decent pick up but yeah getting Loney was a poor move and resigning Luke Scott was more of an eh move. TB really needs a full healthy season out of Longoria though if he goes down the team is probably cooked.

26. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I was highly pissed we didn't go after Morse. He was exactly what we needed in this offense. And seeing what the Nationals got for him, Tampa could of easily beaten that.

finyank13 likes this.
  27. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Or even a guy like Morales. I mean I don't think Morse is a long term answer but it does seem strange that TB just kind of takes a wait and see approach when it comes to the offense. They seem to miss on a lot of their gamble moves, while their pitching pick ups, especially in the pen usually always work out. I wonder if they have just been unlucky in the offensive pick up department or if there's an issue with some of their scouting system. Of course money is a big factor in these moves too.

Nappy Roots likes this.
  28. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

I agree. The issue seems to be TB always refer to needing the pitching depth. At least starting wise. So a lot of times they are unwilling to move young starting pitchers despite having a plethora of them. They could trade 2 good young starters right this second and be completely fine IMO, but they dont.

29. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    You think Price gets dealt this year?

30. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I doubt it. I tend to believe the Rays are going to try and resign him. Maybe I am being naive with Price, but I dont see them letting him go without a fight to keep him.

31. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I wouldn't be shocked to see Price in another uniform next year, or after 7/31 if the Rays are really far out of it. I think there's almost no shot the Rays can resign him, sorry Nappy but you're being naive here. Whatever Clayton Kershaw gets with the Dodgers is probably around what Price will get. I can't see how TB could afford to give him 20 to 25 million a year or so.

32. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I think it would actually be best if the Rays trade him. He's great, but giving a 28 year old pitcher the length and money he'll command is way too risky.

finyank13 likes this.
  33. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

It may not be out of the realm as you think. Were paying him almost 10 million this year. a 10 million dollar raise to lock up a 27 year old lefty in his prime? Rays can get 10 million just by getting rid of Hernandez(Carmona), Kelly Johnson, Ryan Roberts and James Loney. Basically easily replaced guys. Thats not even thinking about a possible raise in payroll. I understand everyone else pay raise. But I dont think its out of this world to think Rays will try to make a splash by keeping Price. Letting Price go would also send a wrong message to those who need to get convinced on a new stadium. I think they will make a run to keep him. They may come up short, and most likely will. But who knows.

34. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Hey trust me I hope/wish you're right and TB does resign him. I just think there's an almost zero chance they do, especially if he hits the open market. I actually don't think it would be that smart for them to do it either, unless they were willing to raise their payroll each year for good. It's just a lot of money to be locked up for 1 player when you're a smart market team.

35. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    finyank13 likes this.
  36. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    People like knocking the Yankees for many things. But the one thing you can never knock them on is class. One of the most classy organizations in all of sports.

smahtaz and Jt0323 like this.
  37. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Agreed, also the Rivalry is more with the fans then it is with the players

38. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    they are also playing Sweet Caroline during the third inning tonights game, and holding a moment of silence

39. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Tell that to Thurman Munson. Haha