1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

****The Official 2014-15 NBA Thread****

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by schmolioot, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    In your signature you forgot to write "For one or two years"

2. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Chalmers is an ok player that had a really bad series. He was instrumental in beating the Spurs the year before.

3. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Nah, dude just wants to be able to have the power of forcing his hand if need be. If he left he would look like the biggest jackass in the history of sports. Not happening

4. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Keep telling yourself that my friend. We shall see.

5. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    They should simplify thr NBA cap rules and just have one year contracts for all players with four years plus of experience. The players have too much power as it is. Why not just go full crazy mode.

6. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    The players would not want one year deals. Too much risk.

7. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    How easily we rationalize as homers.

Mario Chalmers: 10PPG. Okay, so he was dishing to the big three. Alright then. So what's up with only 4.9 assists per game? Either he's a shooter, or he's a passer. Which is it? Neither. He's a dud; dishing to prolific scorers, he manages only 5 assists PG.

Yeah, so he hit some key shots a few times. More often than not, though, he's making mistakes, getting yelled at by everyone, committing turnovers, disappearing completely when he's needed.

Here's all you need to know about Rio: 9.8/2.9/4.9.

He's mediocre.

8. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I mean...im not a Cavs fan. Im a Lebron fan.

No blind homerism is in place, just common sense from a legacy standpoint.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

9. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    He's never been asked to dish out assists so I don't really think that is fair. He's only been asked to be a spot up shooter and done it fairly successfully..

We will se how he plays, I'm not conviced he is good or that he's terrible.

10. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Common sense legacy wise was staying in miami, not going to a place he can never win anything.

Never trust Lebron.

11. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I'll try too stay classy when another bold prediction whiffs.

promise

12. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

eh..I dont know about that bro....

Think if you were an amazing QB in the NFL...won a championship playing for the Steelers....became a FA and could go home to Miami and win one with the Dolphins.

Tell me that wouldnt be the most amazing thing in the world. Your from Hollywood.....to get a crack at winning a Lombardi with the Phins?

13. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I didn't predict he would leave. I'm saying don't trust him not to.

I will predict he wins nothing in Cleveland though.

14. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I've heard that before.

15. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    He wins a title in next two years imo

16. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    It wouldn't help my legacy any. It will always be about titles when people look back. Even if he manages to win one there, in 15 years noone but Cleveland will care. If he cared about legacy he would gave stayed in Miami and probably went to 6-7-8 straight finals and cemented a place in history for decades and decades.

17. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    That is fine. Don't have to agree. He had trouble with Wade and Bosh. I don't see how its a guarantee with Kyrie, who isn't as good as either, and noone else.

18. vt_dolfan

Well....it would if its YOUR legacy..what matters to you. Not what somebody else wants for you as your legacy. And I 100 percent disagree with that statement. Thats like telling me in 15 years Ill forget 2004 and when the Sox won the World Series. Im takiing that to my death bed bro

And thats if he cared about what he thought someone else wanted his legacy to be. Obviously for him.....his legacy involves winning a title in Cleveland.

19. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Okay that is fair, but I'm not talking about his perspective on it. I'm talking about the mass perspective.

20. vt_dolfan

But outside of Miami...if he wins a title in Cleveland....it will mean more to his legacy then two more in Miami. And thats to the rest of the people who follow the NBA.

21. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I completely disagree with that. But its fine, we don't have to agree. As Sec already stated and I've backed up with my own minimal sources, this was about being King of a city not winning titles.

22. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Funny thing is a sign and trade for Lebron actually helps their ability to put pieces around him. By refusing they are showing to be the same old Cavs.

NaboCane likes this.
  23. vt_dolfan

Im not disagreeing at all with that...and very may well be the case, I just dont think public perception will follow that logic. I think youll see way to much hero creating by Nike et all....

But...coudnt he have waited a year...gone to New York with Melo...and being King of NYC?

24. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Please explain (with facts) how it would help the Cavs further their ability to put a team around Lebron.

25. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Miami's pursuing free agent Luol Deng with an offer near $10 million per season, on a short deal, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

26. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    He's probably referring to this article.

27. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Ok, what players are available, worth, and would want to sign for the MLE or BAE that wouldn't already sign for vet minimum or the exception they would get by being under the cap? Plus the Cavs would have to give up another asset (Felix in the example) just to get it to work. It certainly seems to me it makes far more sense to do this for Miami than for Cleveland.

28. Caps

Caps Movimiento Juvenil

Mar 23, 2008
    Mike Miller if Cle wants him for more than one year. He might sign for the minimum this year due to him still getting amnesty checks, but thats over in 2015. Among others.

But it's a moot point. It isn't happening.

29. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Most of the PGs in the NBA and all the remaining FAs save for Bledsoe are mediocre. No one is claiming Rio is some kind of great player, but he is a starting caliber PG that the Heat can sign for cheap. He's better than anyone they currently have on the roster at that position.

30. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I'd love to get Deng on a 2 year deal, even if that means we have to go to $10 million per.

Market is actually coming back to reality. Ariza only got $8 when he was looking for more than $10

31. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    That would be a good deal actually IMO. $10 million for a player of that quality who is still in his prime is pretty fair IMO. Jordan freaking Hill just got $9 million per for 2 years.

32. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Right. And we'd clear that space in 2016.

Wonder if Wade would take his 2 for $42 back and then we just see where we're at in 2016.

sports24/7 likes this.
  33. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I'm mixed. He's a great pick and role defender and with Coles and Napier we don't have another PG with length to defend and he has a decent 3 pt shot. But he's not a great penetrator or scorer. He can't get his own shot. He's only a decent passer although he's pretty good at that pocket pass. Overall I'm mixed. I'll be okay with it though if Chalmers, Deng, Wade, and Haslem are all on two years or less. That should provide plenty of flexibility for 2016. Heck if Chalmers is on a 1 year and Haslem retires after the season as has been speculated, I wonder if we could position ourselves to pursue Love next season. I think Love and Bosh would be a formidable FC. It would probably depend on how Wade's deal is structured.

34. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    Irving, Wiggins, James.....thats a good start, without naming guys like waiters, thompson, varejao, thats a good nucleus and we all know how james makes the players around him better and i don't think cleveland is done yet, mike miller is rumored to sign soon too

35. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    I love Chalmers, dude is clutch, and I hate his minutes dwindled last year.

36. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Why do it if you're Cleveland other than to do a solid for Miami? Cleveland has 3 number 1 picks next year if they need young talent around Lebron. I think they will land Love which would be amazing for Cleveland. Irving, Bron and Love would be a team that is favored to win the East and probably the title.

37. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Not if my goal was to be considered among the best ever and I were in a sport with 5 man starting teams where you need 5 or so rings to be in the conversation. I also don't think his odds of winning in Cleveland are all that good. If they can pull Love I could see it, but I just don't trust that organization to pull it off. I expect them to screw it up and Lebron will go back to being that lovable loser. He'll be on an immature team and I don't think he'll be able to carry them all the way. He may make the finals since the East is weak, but the West is as strong as it has ever been and I don't think he'll beat whatever team comes out of there. Just looking at the Vegas odds. Cleveland may be the favorite right now, but there odds are lower than any of the four Miami teams he was on. His Cleveland legacy will be great, but outside of Cleveland, not so much. And it makes me a bit sad b/c I think he's a great player who should be considered among the greatest of all time. I just think he made an immature decision. I think he gave up being part of a winner to be among sycophantic friends and to feel like the big man on campus. I don't think it will turn out well, legacy-wise.

38. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't agree. It may mean more in the short-term, but long-term all people will remember is the total number. If we're talking about his legacy outside of Cleveland then long-term is what will matter.

39. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Man, if I'm Cleveland I don't think I trade for Love. Would they then have the cap to build a complete team?

I agree with Fin-O. This current team will win a ring within the next 2 years. Not sure Love is needed.

40. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I wouldn't trade for Love yet if it meant giving up Waiters (and Bennett).