1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official 2015 MLB Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Ray Finkle, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    He was pretty good hitter for the Tigers a couple years ago. Last year in he struggled in the minors and then seen the light. Had a 922 OPS last year in AAA for the White Sox. I dont think hes going to destroy the league, but he is going to be a good bat off the bench and when he platoons for De Aza. BTW the stats you posted are when his swing WAS bad. His swing with the Tigers and now is very good.

2. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yet he couldn't even get a cup of coffee last year for the Blue Jays or White Sox?

Sorry I don't see how this signing is anything more than ST/minor league depth. When his swing supposedly got good with the Tigers he hit .244/.351/.415/.765 in 2013 (hitting .216/.336/.371/.706 vs. LHP) and hit a combined .240/.357/.379/.736 for 2 teams in Triple A last year. I guess I just don't see the same player you are.

3. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    They could still make a trade, sign sombody, etc......

Their pitching staff would be ridiculous in a Division that sucks, in a League that is full of parody......say what you will about Panda and his hitting, but Baumgarner won them that WS hands down.....

lol at Lester in the NL West...

4. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

What does get a cup of coffee mean?

5. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Oh of course, I'm sure the Giants would be done if they just signed Lester. A rotation of Baumgarner, Lester, Cain, Hudson and Pitcher 5 is pretty damn good no doubt.

6. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Meaning he wasn't called up to the MLB for a day or two even just to get an at bat or be a defensive replacement or sit on the bench and cheer.

7. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    You are so young.....I envy you...

LiferYank and Finfangirl like this.
  8. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

He had a 58 runs created plus last year with the Blue Jays. He was awful. BTW the year he had with the Tigers, he would of been Red Sox 3rd best hitter last year behind Napoli and Ortiz.

I am not saying he is going to hit 30 HRs. I am saying he is going to be a good platoon guy. I think he may even take De Azas starting spot. The deal is going to be a Minor League with a big league ST invite. He will have to earn his way, and I believe he will.

160 runs created plus last year with the White Sox in AAA. I believe this is it for him.

9. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    The Sox threw last year on purpose after it was evident they were winning it.....

10. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    You keep talking about him being a platoon guy but he's bad against LHPers. You're saying he's going to be a factor based on 60 or so games as a 28 year old in Triple A, yet the other 50ish games at the start of the year he was pretty bad with the Jays Triple A team, so which guy is he? I think it's safe to say he's just a journeyman 4A player. Expecting anything else from him seems foolish.

11. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah comparing anyone to on the 2014 Red Sox isn't all that impressive.

12. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

Hes a platoon guy automatically because hes right handed and De Aza is much worse against lefties. Hes automatically in that role. First 50 games with the Jays he was a lost cause at the plate. He had to clean up a lot and strayed away from the path at hand. He got it together and fixed certain things within his swing. I think hes going to be a factor because he was with the Tigers and is back and better then that year.

I dont think it is foolish. I do think it is not a definite, as was the likes of me pounded the Logan Morrison drum. Didn't work out to great. However, Chris Coghlan drum worked out pretty well.

13. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    De Aza is a career .247/.311/.366/.677 hitter vs. LHPers, so he's better than Tuiasosopo is anyway. I think the O's can do better if they're thinking of a platoon situation in LF. Hell Delmon Young, if you want to ignore the defense, is a much better option against LHPers.

Either way I think I've had enough of the Matt Tuiasosopo debate. If the guy has a good year and is a factor please feel free to rub it in my face (I'll be more than happy to man up and admit I was wrong) but I just don't see him doing much of anything next year.

14. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I think Tuiasosopo could be Fink's new Francoeur.....

just saying....

15. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Nelson Cruz was a AAAA player until he was 28 too.

finyank13 likes this.
  16. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

Fair enough. But a good year is what he did in Detroit. I think he will do better.

17. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Haha not even close.

Fair enough.

We'll see, only time will tell.

finyank13 likes this.
  18. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Cubs get Lester. 6 years $155 Million.

Lester is a good pitcher, but I don't see 25+ a year.

Price is almost certainly going to and should get more then Lester, next year.

I guess Cubs are so young and cheap in their lineup they can afford to throw money around in the rotation.

19. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    We (Cubs) can afford him. Payroll commitments are minimal. This was essential to move the rebuild along. Next year, it'll be time to add ace #2.

20. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I love Lester, one of my favorite Sox players of all time, and I really struggled with whether I wanted the Sox to resign him or not all year. And to be honest I went either way depending on the day/time.

Seeing that contract though and his age I'm fine with the Sox letting him walk. He's a very very good pitcher but he's not a great one and he's going to be 31 in January. That contract would scare me simply because recently we have seen really good pitchers with big money commitments just fall apart when they reached 30 (Zito, Halladay, Lee, Sabathia). Not saying that Lester will do the same but I don't think it would have been a smart investment to give any pitcher over 30 a contract of over 4 or 5 years over over 20 million.

With that being said I really wish him the best and hope he helps the Cubs win a World Series there. I'll always be rooting for him.

I do think the Sox screwed up in ST, as they probably could have gotten him much cheaper but what's done is done. Hopefully they learn from it, move on and pick up a few SPers.

Unlucky 13 and finyank13 like this.
  21. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Fink where do yall turn your attention to now? Scherzer? You got a lot of work to be done to that rotation.

22. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Can't see how/why they would sign Scherzer if they weren't willing to go at least 6/155 for Lester as Scherzer is going to cost a lot more.

I think as far as FA pitchers they will probably target James Shields and Brandon McCarthy. They already offer Justin Masterson a contract. I'd like them to take a flier on Brett Anderson, if healthy I think he could be really good and they could probably get him on a team friendly short term deal.

As far as trade targets, the obvious ones are Cole Hamels and Johnny Cueto but I can't see them trading any of their big 3 young guys (Betts, Bogaerts or Swihart). But names like Ian Kennedy, Rick Porcello, Wade Miley, Matt Latos, Mike Leake, Andrew Cashner have also been linked to them.

I do think the Sox need at least 2 SPers and they do have a lot of depth in the minors (and MLB) roster to make some moves. Again with the way offense is down I don't think they need that 1 true ace to be good next year, they just need guys that can give them quality innings.

23. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I usually love what the Sox do in terms of free agents, they always nail it. Sometimes though you have to pay a little extra for a player and it is warranted, this was one of those cases. Lester was a homegrown guy, vet, champ. They usually are leery of the years not the dollars, unless obviously if it is crazy money, but the Sox IMO low-balled him twice.....I think they blew it here, Lester would be good for 4 of those 6 years imo. I wish him the best, and will miss battling against him....Really rooting for the Cubs now....

As well according to this chart, it is hard top not say he isn't worth this cash, the market for a top flight pitcher is really expensive and with baseball earning a record 9B in revenues this year, expect it to go up...

24. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Wish the BoSox luck in the AL too. You guys seem to have made a few positive moves so far too, and I would imagine will be a front runner for one of the remaining big arms.
    There was word early this week that if the Cubs snagged Lester, then they would be a player for a big bat in a trade too, but that seems to have cooled. I'm still hoping that they're working on it behind the scenes.

25. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Crazy stat of the day?

The Cubs INCLUDING Lester have a 75M dollar payroll...

SICK and Finfangirl like this.
  26. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    They won't though, they aren't spending the money on Scherzer, people saying he will get close to 200M....that leaves Shields and I pray that he comes to Boston....

The Sox will have to look at trades with almost no leverage other than taking on salary, because if MS walks? They NEED to trade for somebody and the other GM's will know it...

27. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Other than the James Shields/Wade Davis for Wil Myers/package when was the last time a team got a big haul back for a SPer on the trade market?

I think the Sox have the depth at the MLB level and minor league level to make trades to get the pitching they need. It might not be a "sexy" name but I think they can get good enough pitchers to round out the rotation.

As far as leverage goes, it works both ways. There are a lot of pitchers available in trade talks, the Sox can walk away and focus on a different guy if the price gets too high.

28. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    By the way, looking at this list besides Kershaw, Hernandez, Greinke and Hamels none of those pitchers have continued to pitch at their high levels, their stuff either dropped or have gotten hurt. The jury is still out on Lester obviously and to be fair Tanaka too. But it just shows the risk of pitching. Imagine you're the Tigers and have to pay Verlander 25 million a year for the next 5 years. Verlander is just 1 year older than Lester and has been the better pitcher too.

finyank13 likes this.
  29. Finfangirl

Finfangirl Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
    Scherzer can say he wants 200, but I think it's going to be closer to 6/175. He's good, but he's no Clayton Kershaw.

30. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Wiley to the Red Sox, De la Rosa and Webster to the D's

Gordon to the Marlins

Heaney ( spelling? ) to the Angels

Rollins and Kendrick to the Dodgers

McCarthy to the Dodgers

Looking like Kemp to the Padres,,,

What did i forget ? ;)

31. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    You forgot that Friedman has magical powers apparently.

32. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I can't recall a team ever changing up a roster in one offseason as much as the Dodgers have. They're making trades like they're playing MLB the show, lol.

33. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I'm sure you'll see another OF traded too. Ethier or Crawford.

34. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Word is Sox traded Cespedes, RHRP Alex Wilson and another minor leaguers for Rick Porcello.

Sox rotation right now is: Buchholz, Kelly, Miley, Porcello and Ranuado(?). Not terrible still would like the Sox to get one more starter which I think they will. Also to note that the oldest SPer right now is Buchholz who is 30. Another note is that the Sox have a lot of ground ball pitchers on the staff, with 3 elite defenders at 3B, 2B and 1B should help them even further.

So the Sox so far have given up Cespedes, Webster, RDLR, Alex Wilson and 2 minor leaguers for Miley and Porcello isn't a bad return depending on the minor leaguers. Still have plenty of depth to make other trades as well and a bunch of money to spend if needed. Looks like the Sox are targeting work horses that throw strikes and get ground balls, makes sense.

EDIT: Saw this Tweet, of the 88 qualified ground ball starting pitchers Miley ranks 17th and Porcello ranks 25th.

EDIT #2: LHP Gabe Speier is the minor leaguer headed to Detroit. He's not a top 30 Sox prospect nor have I ever heard of him.

35. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Friedman with an unlimited budget is a scary thought.

finyank13 likes this.
  36. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Do you think that Boston is out on Cole Hamels now? They were talked about as the front runner before the Porcello trade. I'm hoping that no one pays the price Philly is asking, and they end up being more reasonable so that the Cubs can get him at the deadline next season for a fair price not involving our very best prospects.

37. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I would think not yet. If they sign James Shields, then they would be out of the the Hamels race.

38. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Friedman has done more for the LAD farm system in 3 months than Cashman has done in several years.....

39. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I don't see the Sox getting Cole Hamels as the asking price seems to be much too high, I don't think they're willing to give up Bogaerts, Betts or Swihart for him. Hamels also has a no trade clause so he could potentially block a trade to Boston if he wants.

I think the Sox will either sign James Shields, like Nappy said, or make another trade or sign a Justin Masterson/Brett Anderson type and wait until next year to sign a David Price or Jordan Zimmerman.

40. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Friedman has climbed off of buildings and slept with homeless people in LA already?

finyank13 likes this.