1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

****The Official 2016-2017 NBA Thread****

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Section126, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Clippers get weaker, Rockets and Thunder improve. Would like to see the Spurs make a move also. After all they were up 26 on the road vs the premadonna's before punching bag face took out Leonard.

Either way, West is about 5X better than the East, maybe even 10X. Other than the Cavs I see no East team that would get past 5 games vs GS/SA/Hou/OKC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    Windhorst and our local guys saying Indy wanted Eric Gordon and Clint Capela...lol. I don't think so. Capela is going to be a future all star. He isn't going anywhere.

3. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    cavs are going to end up being the same team as last year lol maybe a few changes on the bench but they might as well play the season with the same core, and pray that a more competitive west will weaken GS.

4. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I think the team that loses out on Hayward will trade for Carmelo.

5. Serpico Jones

Feb 1, 2012
    Thunder also targeting Rudy Gay to play the four according to ESPN.

6. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I wonder what's going on with the LMA situation in SA?

Can we finagle him and Hayward?

7. Serpico Jones

Feb 1, 2012
    Hassan Whiteside has been recruiting Hayward to Miami. He will be in the meeting tomorrow.

sports24/7 and eltos_lightfoot like this.
  8. BevoPhin

BevoPhin Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2013
    I like that. Dragic should talk to him too.

9. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Knicks waived Maurice Ndour so that's something.

They also rejected a Melo/Garbage Ryan Anderson swap.

Teagues deal is 3/57 supposedly.
    Patty Mills resigns 4/50 w/Spurs
    Tony Snell 4/46 w/Bucks
    Wiz offer Wall 4/168
    Curry finalizing 5/201M
    Blakes deal is 5/175

10. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    That Rubio swap is theft for Utah as Rubio almost averaged a triple double the second half of the year. Minnesota wasn't good so few people noticed but he started looking like an all star caliber player. It also probably means the end of Hill in Utah...we shall see if that's a good or bad thing for Hayward.

According to Shams George Hill and Spurs broke off negotiations and Hill is now talking to NYK and Nuggets.

GSW resigns Livingston for 3/24M

sports24/7 likes this.
  11. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    LMA has to be a trade anyway, so maybe. But I'd imagine it would be difficult, and you'd almost certainly have to include TJ and Winslow. I'd probably rather just sign JJ.

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  12. Serpico Jones

Feb 1, 2012
    Woj says the Jazz still believe Hayward will return to Utah.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  13. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    Take it for what it's worth, but according to some people on twitter, David Aldridge said he felt Miami was the strong favorites to land Hayward now, on NBA TV. He also said there was no way LeBron was coming to Miami, though, so...

EDIT: Just watched his segment. He said PG going to OKC helps Miami, but it is an even race. So unless he said that afterward, this is bogus.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  14. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Popovich may lose kyle lowry soon

15. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    I wish we would invite Danilo in for a meeting... i dont want to swing and miss and not have any other player to bring over..

16. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Anyone watching Summer League? As expected, offense by both teams is dismal. Charlotte looks better so far though. Bam is huge. Briante Weber (Charlotte) looks like an NBA player around these scrubs.

17. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Bam is almost certainly our Willie Reed replacement. Reports of him hitting shots in workouts are irrelevant. Guy is going to come off the bench and plant himself 5 feet around the rim.

18. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Serge Ibaka started that way, too. Just sayin'...

19. BevoPhin

Mar 15, 2013
    You know it's summer league when you're running offense through okaro white.

20. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

That's true, but for now he's going to sit down in the paint and work IMO.

Bam is going to see the floor a fair amount because of his energy. He is after every rebound on both ends of the floor. He reminds me a bit of Biyombo in that series once Whiteside went down.

21. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007

22. BevoPhin

Mar 15, 2013
    Bam driving to the rim drawing the foul. Already doing something we didn't see too much of in highlights.

23. BevoPhin

Mar 15, 2013
    Bam spin move baseline to lay it in.

24. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Wow. Bam with a nice pull up jumper. He looked like a guard there.

25. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

You know what, I'm just crazy. This kid will play wherever he wants. He has a mid-range stroke and it looks so natural.

Silverphin likes this.
  26. TheOne

TheOne Active Member

Oct 14, 2016
    The La Clippers messed up with that huge contract they gave Blake Griffin, did they actually think Griffin would sign with Phoenix?

27. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

So apparently Toronto is fearful that we might take a good look at Ibaka. I was wondering after the Bam pick whether we wanted to go two bigs. Might be something there.

28. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    They shook themselves after trading CP3 much like we did with Bosh when we lost Lebron.

29. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Paul George was almost a cavalier, the owner of the Pacers agreed on a three way trade involving the nuggets, then Pritchard stepped in and told the owner theres no way youre going to trade him to the East, and very much less Cleveland making them a bigger threat. And the owner thought about it and opted to trade with OKC instead

So they got a bad deal out of it, but Pritchard saved the East from a deal that could have made the conference irrelevant. Thank you Pritchard.

sports24/7 likes this.
  30. phinswolverinesrockets

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    Rockets lock up Zhou Qi for 4 years. Morey just made an offer to Andre Iguodala. I'm a little shocked at that one.

31. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Bam Adebayo showed that he's a 19 year old with some poor fundamental discipline but a ton of potential. He's good natured and has signaled a valid work ethic, so you imagine the poor fundamental discipline is temporary.

He didn't have a "good" game but he still ended up with 14 points (on 6 of 14), 10 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 blocks, and 1 steal. It's the Whiteside Phenomenon. And we know how that's going for us (I would say well).

He showed that he can muscle up under the basket against much bigger and stronger players, because he himself is quite big and strong. He showed that he has a valid stroke. He showed what was in college for him a big strength which is his offensive rebounding and second chance put-in ability. He showed that he's not very good in defensive rebounding, and has defensive lapses.

He showed that his stamina needs work, as he was huffing and puffing pretty quickly when he'd come in. But he also showed some mental fortitude because he played some of his best and most compelling ball while he was panting like a dog.

I'm actually a little concerned with how thin Bam Adebayo looks. This isn't very close to the playing weight I saw at Kentucky, when he was able to show a dominating brutal strength. But man does he have a great body.

Okaro White was the dominating presence on the Heat, the overall best player. His summer league should be over soon, as it's obvious he's an NBA player, IMO. Section pointed out to me that he's really worked on his body and I agree, it showed out there. He's got a little bit different physical presence. He had a lot of turnovers but he's not a guy you run your offense through. His improvement came in the form of his defensive physicality and presence under the basket.

Eric Mika was the third most NBA-like presence out there for the Heat. It's cliche but he's a little things guy. He's so fundamentally sound with extremely valid strength, size, and athleticism. His shot didn't fall today but you can tell he has it. He was positioning himself under the basket really well, drawing fouls because of it. He didn't get the minutes but had 6 points, 4 rebounds, and 2 assists. Basically works out to an 18 point, 12 rebound, 6 assist game per 36 minutes. And like I said there were shots that didn't fall for him today that I expect usually will fall for him especially as he gets his feet wet. We are perhaps some early jitters from talking about a 36 point/12 rebound/6 assist game per 36 minutes. The guy knows how to play and has a real NBA skill set. With Miami lacking depth in the front court, this may be a roster player.

Really the effort today was not something I want to overrate. So I don't want to go on talking about a bunch of the players as if they were good out there. But one guy who refused to be forgotten was Gian Clavell. I only took a look at him the first time day before yesterday and was real surprised how much I liked him. You want to talk about a hustler, he went out there and got 8 rebounds in 25 minutes, along with 13 points, a steal and a block, and I swear he went uncredited with a bunch more stuff from a statistical sense that happened on that court. He lit up like a christmas tree whenever the Heat went full press defense and was just hustling full speed all over the place. I don't know if he has McGruder's physical athleticism (I'm not saying he doesn't, I literally don't know), but he's got some nice length to him and tons of quickness, and he's going 100 mph like McGruder was. He's also shown a catch-and-shoot three point shot like McGruder does, though Gian is more prone to recklessness and hero ball stuff.

His potential will lay in whether he can be a point guard. He needs a better feel for creating in order to find the open shooters, and running the offense. He only had one assist, and there was a point where he penetrated and just looked like he had no plan whatsoever for finishing with a pass. This is a guy I'd consider putting on Skyforce.

32. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Nene is a free agent again, Morey didnt know you cant offer a 4 year deal to a player that would turn 38.

33. phinswolverinesrockets

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    He knew what he was doing. He tried to be slick and spread that salary for 4 years instead of 3 when NeNe retires. Instead of 5 mil/3 yrs, he tried 3.5 mil/4. He knows damn well NeNe wasn't going to play 4 more years. He almost got away with it. We have limited cap room to work it. I don't blame him one bit for trying salary cap manipulation.

34. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    So, looking at the money in real dollars, no one can really offer Hayward as much money as the Heat can. The Jazz can offer him a 5 year deal, while Miami and Boston can only offer him a 4 year deal. And the Jazz can offer him a couple million more per season. But at the end of the day, Hayward will almost certainly sign a 3+1 deal so that in 3 years he can sign a super-max deal. Because of that, the 5 vs 4 doesn't matter. When you look at the tax savings he'd get playing in Miami, after re-signing at the super-max, he'd make a decent amount more with the Heat. And that's not even including the advertisement opportunities that would come with playing for the Heat, both nationally and internationally with some of their ties to China.

35. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    Plus the Heat have an esports team. Hayward apparently likes video games.

sports24/7 likes this.
  36. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    Woj bombs:

37. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    So the Clippers pitched this to Blake, had all their employees wear this t-sbirt...

Possibly the most pathetic pitch ever, and it worked... Talk grasping at straws desperately.

38. BevoPhin

Mar 15, 2013
    He loves LoL which is pretty much the biggest esports game. Not sure what else he plays.

39. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    Tell me again how Heat culture isn't a real thing. Two players who aren't even under contract by the Heat yet (JJ and Haslem) were a part of the meeting to sell Hayward on joining Miami.

twistedjay likes this.
  40. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    According to Barry, if we fully max Hayward and stretch McBob we can offer JJ (or Waiters) a little over $9 million or 4 years approximately $42 million with the raises. That is fair for JJ I think and he must know that he's going to be signed