1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

****The Official 2017-18 NBA Thread****

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Boik14, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Wow, yay, golf clap Sixers! Lose for 2 decades and get handed high draft picks. How impressive......

Like the NFL the NBA needs to stop rewarding loser franchises for being garbage.

2. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Lol the suns are following that same road to success.. they about to draft someone for booker and may tank one more year for all we know..

shamegame13 likes this.
  3. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    Unless you miraculously land 3 superstars through Free Agency at once (Miami 2010), there really is no other way to get a Championship team. Other teams have have done it, (Cavs had so many #1 picks after LeBron left, they got Kyrie and Wiggins, as a matter of fact it’s their fault they didn’t draft Embiid and drafted Wiggins instead. Don’t blame the Sixers there.) Teams like the Suns, Mavs are currently doing it and Knicks are close to done themselves. Sixers lucked out in the best draft recently to have #1 and that was Simmons and the smart signings of Belinelli and Ilyasova which has nothing to do with tanking to be fair, they both have vital roles that Philly needs.

I don’t see how what Miami did in 2010 is better than tanking either. While as a fan of both teams it was almost a cheap way of becoming great. As a fan of both sides, I didn’t have to suffer through mediocrity with the Heat because LeBron decided to bring his talent to South Beach, which I’m thankful for, as a Sixer fan, I had to go through years of embarrassment to get here. Sixers paid their dues. There should be no high horse from the Heat.

biggiesmalls3k1 and Boik14 like this.
  4. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Whiteside took some veiled shots at Spo after the game.

5. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    They tried but frankly the sooner people simply understand sports is cyclical and that rebuilding is necessary as a phase of building a winner then the sooner you can stop being upset. Look, Im a Knick fan, I have no love for Philly. But as a Knick fan I can tell you I’d rather have just done the rebuild at the end of the Ewing era as opposed to trying to continuously make splashy stupid moves for the last 15 or so years. We could have rebuilt already 3x over with sustained success instead of a good year or two. Philly did it right. Bottom out, suck for Luck and get it over with. Knicks need to follow suit

biggiesmalls3k1 and shamegame13 like this.
  6. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Perfect night in New Orleans:

Irma Thomas sings National Anthem
    Mannie Fresh does halftime show and brings out Juvenile
    We crush Portland to take a 3-0 lead

Fin-O and shamegame13 like this.
  7. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Portland has a lot of work to do in the offseason. Next year is their last chance to show Liliard theyre serious about contending before he starts leaking rumors about trades

8. Serpico Jones

Feb 1, 2012
    I think the Heat need to start Winslow and move Richardson to the two spot and have that lineup play a ton of minutes. We can’t out-score them so we’ll have to defend the hell out of them.

aesop likes this.
  9. BevoPhin

BevoPhin Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Come on, you cant compare an organization sucking on purpose for many years to game the system to 2 men choosing their place of employment. That plan for 2010 FA was in place for a long while and was executed. How much work does it actually take to just be as bad as possible?

Either way, gg. Ill go back to liking simmons after this series.

Mcduffie81 likes this.
  10. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    Again, there should be no high horse. The Miami Front Office had to do no work to pull in these great players other than put a contract in front of em. It was pure luck they chose Miami out of the 2 or three teams that were being discussed. The Front Office didn’t have to shoot in the draft. Philly ended up with a lot of duds before getting Simmons and Embiid. If Jahlil or Nerlens or MCW or Evan Turner were Superstars, the tanking wouldn’t have been necessary. I rather have a bad team tanking rather than filling out the team with mid level guys on bad contracts “trying to win” alas Charlotte Hornets this year and ending up in crappy draft position.

11. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Is it sucking on purpose or simply not being delusional aboht where they were as a franchise? Go back 4-5 years and they had some contracts they were tied in to and not a tremendous amount of talent. So they had a choice...either try and wiggle their way out of it and possibly complicate it with more contracts or simply go the draft route. In a game thats decided by talent alone more then any of the 4 major sports, they made a practical decision imo.

shamegame13 likes this.
  12. Serpico Jones

Feb 1, 2012
    Cavs just choked away game 3. LeBron had some Hassan Whiteside-type body language in the fourth.

aesop likes this.
  13. BevoPhin

Mar 15, 2013
    He gone.

Im tired of Whiteside dude. When Whiteside was about to check in, Spo put his hand on his shoulder and was telling him something and Hassan pretty much rolled his eyes. He’s a punk.

aesop and Serpico Jones like this.
  14. BevoPhin

Mar 15, 2013
    Yeah I realize they made the decision because they had absolutely no talent and no chance of competing, but it still is sucking on purpose. I’m not anti tanking, especially in the NFL (I hated sparano for winning those games and ruining our chances at luck) or even when the heat were 11-30..but going to the extent hinkie went year after year isn’t something I would want Miami doing. It’s not being on a high horse, I don’t care what other teams do. I’d just rather my team be an attractive location for star players to come to in FA and have enjoyable basketball seasons until then. If there’s a disaster season and we absolutely suck, I’m on board with it but I wouldn’t go into a season hoping we lose from the get go.

15. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Actually his body language was eerily similar to that in 2009-10 against the celtics when he didnt show up all series long, and then the Delonte West rumors came up and that same offseason he moved on to a different team.

16. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Well don’t you become that by sucking for a few years creating cap space and loading up with some young talent? Places like Miami, Ny, LA, Boston etc will always be attractive destinations because of tradition or location but other places need to make themselves attractive and that’s just another way.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    shamegame13 likes this.
  17. BevoPhin

Mar 15, 2013
    I noticed you didnt bold "enjoyable basketball until then" haha

OKC is one of those smaller markets who sucked for a few years straight and nailed their picks in 3 MVPs 3 years straight, yet still no ring. Philly looks to have a bright future with Simmons and Embiid, but I'm gonna wait until they actually do something to justify all those years of suckage.

aesop likes this.
  18. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    I’m not on any high horse so shut it.

I’m not mad. I just find it a pathetic way to try to compete in any sport to lose on purpose, especially for years upon years. Getting handed very high draft picks for losing is BS.

I love the way the Heat put together the very best teams possible year after year. I’ll live through the bad contracts and mistakes made (Whiteside!) if it means entertaining basketball.

“Miraculously landing 3 Superstars in free agency” isn’t the only way to put together a championship team.

19. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Heat should be ready to try anything, because it's hard to see how we win another game with Embiid back. He changes everything for them on defense. I don't think we have the offensive talent to score enough; Covington and Simmons can be super aggressive with him behind them guarding the rim. Would love to be wrong of course, but for us to win, it will take either a red-hot shooting night on our end or a stone-cold night from them.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  20. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    No, it’s a lot of Sour Grapes here.

Many teams “tank”. Point, Blank, Period.

Philly came away with a good bunch and that upsets you because you see what’s coming. I get it.

There was a time when everyone hated the Heat because the league felt they “bought” their titles. How your feeling now, well, when LeBron and Bosh signed in Miami, this is exactly how everyone else felt, except amplified x100, which you probably told other fans is Sour Grapes at that time because it was all good for Miami fans. So now hypocritical.

News flash. Dragic will NEVER EVER, lead a team to a NBA championship. I hope you understand. Where Miami is now, Philly was here in 2012 before the “tank” with Iguodala leading the charge but Philly soon realized that Iguodala will NEVER EVER lead a team to an NBA championship. I would not be mad if Heat decided to start bottoming out because I don’t see this roster ever winning a ECF or NBA championship. Miami may have to rip a page out of Phillys book or keep signing marginal guys with no superstars to stay hardly relevant (see: Hornets). Years on end of mediocrity in TODAYS NBA, this isn’t the 80s-90s.

Miami fans should be the last fans throwing stones considering the shiny, delicate, glass they live in themselves. The same stuff I’m hearing all this sudden about the Sixers, I heard with the Heat in 2010. It’s all the same, complaining that a team got good. Lol as any fan would say, I will just swim in the river of tears like 2010.

And while your upset we ended up with Embiid (as if he was #1 overall, he wasn’t, Cavs and Bucks foolishly passed for overhyped Wiggins and Jabari, leaving the Sixers to select Embiid), I’m still mad Sixers took bum *** Okafor over Porzingis.

It’s gonna be maddening around the NBA when LeBron decides to take his talent to Philly next year. I can already see the writing on the wall. I’ll buckle up.

Boik14 likes this.
  21. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    A Dragic flop almost created an all out brawl...

Lovely

22. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    Loving every minute of it.

Fin-O likes this.
  23. BevoPhin

Mar 15, 2013
    Yall have won 2 playoff games and youre acting like youre the warriors lol.

Mcduffie81 likes this.
  24. BevoPhin

Mar 15, 2013
    JJ just wanted an excuse to punk ben simmons.

25. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    Not really.

Just helping the hypocritical people see their hypocritical actions.

Was it pathetic to tank? Yes

Was it cheap to buy titles in Miami? Yes

The comments everyone is making about us tanking and getting a good team is making it seem like we are the Warriors. I know Sixers need more growth and/or a big FA signing like LeBron to really dominate.

Boik14 likes this.
  26. BevoPhin

Mar 15, 2013
    No ones hating on the sixers though because they aren’t title contenders. Go rewatch a heat road game during 2010 and see some strong hatred.

And it’s not hypocrisy because losing games on purpose isn’t the same as signing players in free agency.

Mcduffie81 likes this.
  27. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    WOW, look at those turnovers. Ive only watched sparingly, but Simmons/Embid haven't been all that good and they have almost 30 turnovers and they are winning?

Simmins has a triple dub now, guess that IS good.

28. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    I literally just said the Heat were hated x100 times more than the Sixers because most NBA fans felt it was unethical to have one team get the best three FA’s, one being one of the greatest players ever, in one offseason. I swam through all those tears in 2010 and will do so when Philly does become a Dynasty. It will be no different.

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  29. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    Well that's that. Hopefully are younger guys can grow and get better next year.

30. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Theyre much more talented than our team, they can overcome those turnovers. The Heat went into the playoffs because of hustle and grit, not because theyre so talented. The only talent we have to build with is Winslow and Adebayo and that really isnt a foundation to start with.

I expect the series to be over next game. I said before the playoffs the Sixers are likely the best team in the East, we shouldve tanked that last game if we wanted to go far in the playoffs. But o well, thats just foolsgold , we dont deserve to go further.

Mcduffie81 likes this.
  31. Serpico Jones

Feb 1, 2012
    We just don’t have enough talent, fellas. Our max player was on the bench for most of the series.

Mcduffie81 likes this.
  32. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Our max player needs to be someone else’s max next season... useless

Mcduffie81 and aesop like this.
  33. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    His defense down the stretch was about as bad as I've ever seen. No heart.

34. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    He has checked out and theres really no reason to play him next game. Start olynyk at center.

aesop likes this.
  35. Serpico Jones

Feb 1, 2012
    I could see Whiteside getting traded for an expiring Dwight Howard.

36. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    The amount of money we are paying Tyler Johnson next year tho... yikes

37. Serpico Jones

Feb 1, 2012
    Riley isn’t going to tank because of his age. He’ll trade Dragic, Winslow and Richardson for a star.

38. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    Anthony Davis is out of this world.

39. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Any trade to improve Miami is going to start with Whiteside.

Mcduffie81 and eltos_lightfoot like this.
  40. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Whiteside is not going to net you a player that will improve the team. He will be dumped for salary. And it might be Dwight Howard. We may keep dwight or we may come to terms on a buyout.

Goran has a strong chance of being dealt, it may be for a team like San Antonio. What we get in return is the question, it definitely wont get us Kawhi, but san antonio loves international talented players like dragic, theyll offer something and if we can get some sort of expiring that will be ideal for Mickey.

Winslow and Bam are our most valuable assets. Cant trade them for nothing.