1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

****The Official 2017-18 NBA Thread****

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Boik14, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Classic D’Antoni. The Warriors just beat the Phoenix Suns minus Shawn Marion.

aesop and eltos_lightfoot like this.
  2. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Shoot, I wish there was no cap...spending money has never been the Knicks problem...they’d just offer Durant, AD, and Kawhi a gazillion dollars each etc. But ya, basketball more then any of the 4 major US sports is star driven...always as been.

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  3. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    :amen:

Even Jeremy Lin, and he hates Houston, lol

I could post so many more from unbiased fans. But, I'll leave it alone now. Good luck to LeBron. I didn't watch the finals last year...I'm damn sure not watching this year.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  4. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    The refs missed some calls, but that wasn't the reason they lost, and anyone saying otherwise is kind of ridiculous. The fact that Clay Travis says it, makes the argument all the less believable. Charles Barkley, who was actively rooting for the Rockets, didn't mention the officiating once after the game. The Rockets choked/ran out of gas, whatever you want to call it, and the Warriors caught fire. Ariza killed them, they kept shooting threes when they weren't falling, and Harden couldn't take over (and cost them badly down the stretch with hero ball and turnovers).

The Rockets had a great run, and you should be happy about their season. I think LeBron could be heading that way in the offseason, which probably gives them the title next year, at least.

CaribPhin, aesop, PhinsPhan11 and 2 others like this.
  5. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

The NBA really needs to contract and raise/eliminate the salary cap.

Boik14 and eltos_lightfoot like this.
  6. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    Just for shiggles. The people quoted above later on in the game after those tweets. Doesn't sound like any of them feel that the refs caused the Rockets to lose the game:

aesop likes this.
  7. phinswolverinesrockets

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    Had a buddy just send this video to me. ALL 9 MISSED CALLS BY THE REFS TONIGHT (20 points worth)...

Hey, I am sure those 20 points wouldn't have mattered. Who needs 20 points?

8. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

There's a special irony in Rockets fans complaining about the refs when they received calls all year well above the rate that their play style suggested.

Garden, for example, gets more 3 point foul calls than all other teams.

https://www.google.bs/amp/s/fivethi...gets-fouled-on-3s-more-than-any-nba-team/amp/

A team that actively relied all season on referee error to boost scoring is now angry that they got robbed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2018
  9. eltos_lightfoot

eltos_lightfoot Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2008
    And that is part of the game, it always has been. Calls change in the postseason. Back in the heat runs, Lebron and Wade never got calls. Look the officiating isn’t the reason they lost. They were calling foul calls on the dubs left and right. No, the reason they lost was Paul wasn’t on the floor to take over the game in crunch time and stop them from missing 27 threes in a row. He would have run a credible offense. That’s the bad part of just having a couple of superstars. One gets hurt and you’re done. But hey, that’s way farther than the 2018 heat with no superstars made it.

10. phinswolverinesrockets

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    I'm sure most people here know more about basketball than Reggie Miller and Chris Webber. Webber and Miller have no clue about what a foul is.

Again, props to those 2 guys for calling out the b.s. I am sure Webber was having flashbacks from that Kings/Lakers screw job. This was on that level, for sure.

11. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    The Warriors are the NBA version of the Pat’s.

12. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I don't see anyone saying the foul calling was perfect. I see people saying how lame it is that this is the excuse after a whole regular season of (friendly) trash talking. I'd take this opportunity to be an ******* and point out that we were missing our HOF PG and still only lost by 9. This is hollow because even at full strength you guys blame the refs.

I also see people (read: me) bringing up the fact that the Rockets are major beneficiaries of lopsided refereeing in most cases. The two things Houston relies on failed them; the 3-ball and the refs.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2018
    eltos_lightfoot and aesop like this.
  13. aesop

aesop Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    NYC
    Or maybe jacking up 44 threes and only hitting 7 had something to do with it?

I guess Harden, Miller, and Webber can all get together this offseason and chat about not winning titles and rub eachothers backs in a comforting manner.

[​IMG]

14. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    We could also talk about the fouls they did call and how Klay Thompson was taken out of commission for most of the 1st half after picking up 3 ticky tack fouls in the first 5 minutes...

15. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    20 points would matter. But that's the assumption that they didn't miss a single call the other way, which is obviously not the case.

You're taking comments from them about missed calls and extrapolating that to mean that they feel the Rockets lost because of the refs, which wasn't the case at all. Neither commentator suggested that.

CaribPhin likes this.
  16. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

3 fouls less than 4 minutes into the game.

eltos_lightfoot and Boik14 like this.
  17. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Well season over for me. The playoffs were enjoyable to watch this year. Im not signing up to watch the same series four times in a row.

18. Fin-O

Sep 28, 2015
    Let’s just all agree that having CP3 games 6-7 would’ve made a difference and now the Warriors will walk to another title.

At least LeBron haters and 14 year old suburban kids will be happy.

Boik14, CaribPhin and eltos_lightfoot like this.
  19. eltos_lightfoot

Apr 14, 2008
    CP3 would have definitely made a difference, but then again, the Dubs can only play who is on the floor. It isn’t like it was a guarantee with CP3. The Dubs have two stone-cold assassins and Durant to help pad a lead.

biggiesmalls3k1 and Fin-O like this.
  20. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Whether it is Houston, Golden State or the Utah Jazz, cleveland doesnt win the Finals.

Fin-O likes this.
  21. Fin-O

Sep 28, 2015
    Why stop there?

I'd go N.O, MN as well.

Lebron is the greatest basketball player ever, but that never has and never will overcome a team where the talent is so lopsided.

22. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    He’d beat Utah. He wouldn’t beat Houston or GSW. Probably not N.O. when healthy either.

23. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    He barely got by Boston and the Pacers. Highly doubt they beat the Jazz that performed in the first round.

24. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Some brave soul sat through the game and the thought of rabid Rockets fans to compile a comprehensive list (w/video!) of all of the calls that went wrong against BOTH teams.

The verdict is that Rockets fans are crybabies who blame the refs when they lose and don't credit them for the egregiously bad bailout fouls they receive game-by-game.

MikeHoncho, aesop and eltos_lightfoot like this.
  25. Fin-O

Sep 28, 2015
    Didn't watch this game because once Paul was out, to me it was inevitable.

However we have a plethora of NBA stars, commentators and analysts saying the refereeing was one sided.

To me? It doesn't erase the fact they missed 30+ 3's, but I also wouldn't say the criticism of the officials is limited to simply Rockets fan's.

26. eltos_lightfoot

Apr 14, 2008
    I haven’t seen a plethora of NBA stars, commentators, etc., saying it was one-sided. The fact that they went 7-44 ended any other valid criticism, and the NBA stars, commentators shut up at that point. You live by the 3, you die by the 3, and they really did.

27. Fin-O

Sep 28, 2015
    Twitter was blowing up and I've heard it on literally every sports show I've listened too.

But you're right...shootimg 7-44 kind of alleviates the right to complain about the ref's. But I do think it likely was very Warrior friendly, just wasn't the reason they lost.

28. BevoPhin

BevoPhin Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2013
    I don’t have much interest in watching the finals. Feels like I’m watching repeats of a show.

Houston vs Cleveland would’ve been great.

Fin-O and Stitches like this.
  29. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

That has a lot to do with who's the hero and villain of the game though. When Chicago ended Miami's 27 game win streak, LeBron tore into the refs because of a disparity in the calls. No one batted an eye really because everyone wanted us to lose. This is how it always is.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...mi-heat-winning-streak-chicago-bulls/2026869/

The Kings screwjob sucks, especially in hindsight, because **** the Lakers.

30. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    Definitely. Having Iggy could have changed things as well, though, for GSW. I would have liked to see both teams fully healthy. At the end of the day, the Warriors are the more talented team (probably the most talented in NBA history), but I still question their mental toughness. If they're firing on all cylinders, I don't think any team currently constructed beats them. But that mental softness hurts them. If Paul were there, would GSW have been able to come back from those big deficits? That's going to be the question Rockets fans have to be asking themselves.

Fin-O likes this.
  31. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    **** happens to every team. Hell i wouldve loved to have Bosh healthy in the playoffs when we had to face Indiana and the Celtics, we lost our home court advantage against the pacers when he went down with th ab strain. It is what it is! No excuses still won a championship.

32. Fin-O

Sep 28, 2015
    Anyone else notice the extreme fortune in the Warrior playoff runs?

They do not win vs the Cavs that first year with a healthy Love/Kyrie. To me that is obvious.

Was that the same year they didnt face the teams starting PG through the entire playoffs??

Down 23 at home in the 3rd quarter and Zaza takes out Kawhi, done rest of series.

Down 3-2 and the Rockets lose HOF PG for the last two games.

Its as if they aren't already the most talented team Ive ever seen, yet they have to catch break after break each year to boot.

**** the Golden State Patriots and their MF momma's!

Stitches likes this.
  33. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Houston missed 27 straight 3’s last night in the second half. That’s why they lost. No other explanation or excuse is needed. What I want to know is why the hell were they shooting so many when they were killing GSW in the paint and midrange in the first half? That’s crappy coaching. As I said...DumbToni.

GARDENHEAD and eltos_lightfoot like this.
  34. Fin-O

Sep 28, 2015
    Honesty same goes for Boston.

They kept getting Al Horford down low on guys like Korver and JR, then totally abandoned him in the second half to take bad jumpers.

35. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
  36. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Completely agreed. Though Thompson was starting to do a better job in the early 3rd vs Horford. 1 play comes to mind that resulted in a TO

37. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    The NBA is crazy.

38. BevoPhin

Mar 15, 2013
    People are pretty pathetic sometimes. Reddit and twitter are full of people with alt accounts that go around agreeing with themselves. It’s the best when they forget to switch accounts.

39. BevoPhin

Mar 15, 2013
    Looked like they gave up in the last couple of minutes. Teams always foul and extend meaningless games in the regular season if there’s a small chance to win, but Boston couldn’t do that in game 7 of the ECF?

eltos_lightfoot and Fin-O like this.
  40. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest