1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official 'Batman 3' Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Ray Finkle, Jul 15, 2010.

Tags:
  1. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Yeah, she said it was a mistake or something. Maybe a screw-up during her LOS training? Also, her character was under-utilized in the boobie department.

2. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah exactly, I think it was to show us she was like Bruce after all, leading the secret double life.

3. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Sorry I thought I responded to the rest of this last night but I guess I erased it by mistake.

Anyway if Nolan made a 4th film it would basically be the same as TDKR with Bruce coming out of retirement, what would be interesting about that? I totally disagree with the Nolan trilogy feeling incomplete, it had a beginning, middle and end. Bruce passed on the Batman torch to someone else and he's living somewhere happy. He said back in Batman Begins he only wanted to be Batman until he cleaned up Gotham which he did. If Bane, Talia and the LOS didn't come back to Gotham for revenge then he would have stayed retired as the streets were clean and the police were in control, not the mob bosses or criminals. I don't see how it leaves things open for Bruce to return, I guess anything is always possible because he's alive, but I think its pretty clear he's happy not being Batman anymore. He wouldn't have faked his death if he wanted to continue.

I didn't mind Bane's voice, but then again I don't mind Batman's "Batman voice" either. It sucks if it takes away your enjoyment of the film but to each his own.

As for John Blake, you saw him in the Bat Cave, why do you need to see him put on the cowl? Its pretty much spelled out he would take over, whether as Batman (most likely) or Robin/Nightwing its kind of irrelevant. Not to mention people would nitpick the hell out of "how did Bruce know to get Blake a costume that fit him" etc. Regarding Alfred it just wouldn't make sense he would be there to help out. Alfred had no relationship with Blake other than to open the door for him in the beginning of the movie to talk to Bruce. If Alfred wasn't willing to stick around to help Bruce for fear something bad would happen to him/try to get him to quit why would Alfred agree to help a stranger?

I think the reason why you dislike the ending is because it sounds like you had an ending in mind either going into seeing TDKR or you wish things just ended differently and like the version in your head better.

4. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Got it sitting on my kitchen table, violently torturing me until I can watch it. Still unpacking and settling into my place....going to have a nice TDK and TDKR marithon with wifey this weekend. (We just watched BB this previous weekend)

Ray Finkle likes this.
  5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Wait, so you're saying ending the movie with an extended lesbian sex scene between Catwoman & Talia would have made the movie worse?

6. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yes, simply for pacing/timing issues.

7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Your priorities are skewed.

8. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Deleted scenes?

Fin D likes this.
  9. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I still don't see why anyone would think that Wayne was dead at the end. Thought they made it pretty clear that he had disposed of the bomb via the fixed autopilot and marked his sidekick Robin for preparation. The movie establishes that Batman simply can't do it alone anymore. He's still alive, and simply needs a little help from his friends.

10. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Agreed. Anyone that thought differently was trying to look into things way too deeply or thought Nolan was pulling another Inception/Memento mind trick with the viewers, or just movie dumb. It's beyond clear he's alive and well. And not only did he do all those things you mentioned he also had time to drop off a new Bat signal to Gordon on top of GCPD building.

11. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Gotham is NOT cleaned up. Who is going to clean up the streets that are full of Blackwater escapees? Who is going to keep Scarecrow in prison?

So since the LOS has been defeated again that means they will give up, or will they attack again in the future?

The reason Bats didn't come back is because he was grief stricken over Rachael's death, not because he wasn't needed.

Did you see how Blake fought? Did you see how easy he gave up and almost died on his knees before being rescued by Batman? Do you really think he'll just figure it out and become the badass it takes to wear the cowl? Of course Batman should train him, just as he has trained all 4 Robins in the comics.

Obviously this couldn't all be done in the movie, which is why I said the trilogy felt incomplete. It doesn't feel to me like Gotham is in good hands.

I absolutely had no ending in mind when I came to this conclusion about the film. As I said my opinion changed after my 3rd viewing of the film. Although I could come up with much better endings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Who is suggesting he was dead other than Alfred, Blake, Fox, and Gordon?

Did I miss something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    No Bruce stopped being Batman because he wasn't needed anymore. The mob was defeated and all the major criminals were in jail due to the Harvey Dent Act. He even says so in the hospital scene with Gordon. Nolan even said so as one of the main elements of this movie was "What if Batman's plan worked?". Bruce was in his depressed state at the beginning of the movie because of the combination of not knowing how to live his life as just Bruce without being Batman, thinking the girl of his dreams died because of him, the death of Harvey Dent, the lie and the failure of his company and him putting so much money into the energy program he couldn't use due to fear of it being used as a bomb.

I think we're to assume the LOS won't attack again as the only reason why they attacked Gotham a second time was Talia wanting revenge. As far as the streets being cleaned up, Gotham PD was showed holding down the remaining members of the LOS. I think we are to assume that the PD can handle the rest of the criminals that escaped Black Gate. And really the Scarecrow isn't a threat by any means.

Of course not, it took Bruce 7 years of training to become Batman. I think its pretty unrealistic to think Blake wouldn't have to train more himself and all he'd have to do is put on the cowl and be ok.

Again this movie and trilogy isn't about John Blake, it was about Bruce's beginning, middle and end of Batman. Blake "becoming" Batman at the end was to show that Bruce's idea of Batman being more than just a man, being a symbol and a legend and that anyone can be a hero was shown to be correct. That Bruce's mission was a success.

Do you really want to see a 4th Batman movie with Bruce training Blake? Its like saying you wish their was a 4th Godfather to see what Andy Garcia's character did after Michael died.

To each his own about liking the film or the ending. I loved the movie and the ending. I thought it was the perfect ending to the trilogy. But if you or others don't like it as much or at all I respect your opinion.

Bruce isn't sticking around because he never meant to be Batman forever, unlike the comics.

14. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    He was talking about the audience thinking Bruce is really dead and Alfred was imagining him at the cafe.

15. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Take any decent movie, and it can be nitpicked. Splitting hairs for the sake of splitting hairs.

Ray Finkle likes this.
  16. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I agree. TDKR is in no way a perfect movie but a lot of the stuff people are generally nitpicking from TDKR is pretty irrelevant too.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  17. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Not sure if you all will find this funny, but:

[video=youtube;IkMPZ7WeDck]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkMPZ7WeDck[/video]

PhinsRDbest likes this.
  18. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
  19. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Just wanted to pop in and say that after reading all the criticisms and acknowledging that The Dark Knight is a better executed movie, I still love the **** out of Rises. I can't describe how much I love the ending.

And one final thing about the "Batman wouldn't quit" thing, you're right. That's why after Selina asks him to quit and escape Gotham with her he says one of my favorite Batman lines ever regarding how much he's given the people of Gotham, "Not everything. Not yet".

[video=youtube;zXMzHYcNTsU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXMzHYcNTsU[/video]

SICK, Mainge and Ray Finkle like this.
  20. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah TDKR is freaking great. I think in time when people watch it more and more they will start to understand and appreciate it better. I think people initially assumed too much (like Batman quit because Rachel died and went into hiding because of that) when everything was said by other characters they just had to listen and pay attention.

And another big thing was people used what happened/happens in the comics as the Bible so when someone else (Nolan) decided to do things a bit differently, i.e. Batman retiring, to fit into his "realistic" world, even though Bruce Wayne flat out said in the first film this isn't something he wanted to do forever and even in the second film when he tried hard to get Dent as the face of Gotham so he could stop.

But yeah there are still a lot of misconceptions and criticisms with the movie that I still don't understand or get. Granted no movie is perfect and I do have personal issues with all three films, more so with TDKR then the others, but I still love all three to death.

I seriously suggest to anyone that still has an issue with the movie to go back and watch all 3 again and really pay attention to what's being said. Everything that happens in the 3rd film is set up in the previous two.

DevilFin13 likes this.
  21. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I can't take the movie serious but I like the movie as a comedy, sorta like how I view Batman & Robin. "What a lovely singing voice" is the new " have a ICE day".

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  22. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I agree that a lot of people probably have problems with Rises because they forgot what happened in Begins and TDK, probably more so with Begins. I had seen Begins close to 10 times before Rises, and TDK at least that much. But I also had the awesome benefit of seeing them right before the midnight showing of Rises in theater. So it was all very fresh in my mind and I think it made Rises that much better. And while Rises as a whole isn't perfect (I think TDK is pretty damn close), the end is perfect for me.

23. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Maybe. I have problems with Rises because it is boring, the villians are bland, other than the final action scene the action is pretty weak, Batman is a whiney baby, too many parts of the movie are beyond stupid, the villian plans make as much sense as rocket penguins or sharks with lazers on their head, Alfred is a bigger whiney baby than Batman, Bane was hard to understand and the final, Batman rises twice and ending scene looked like it belonged in Inception.

TDK is still one of my favorite movies of all Time, a solid A+ of a movie.
    Batman Begins was fun and didn't bore me in the middle, a total solid B of a movie.
    TDKR, while still not nearly as stupid and bad as The Amazing Spider-Man is still a movie that has so many flaws, stupid parts, and boring parts, that even with the fun ending and a few good scenes, is a C- at best. I think my rating for it is higher because of my love for The Dark Knight.

24. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I think Nolan did an excellent job connecting the 3 movies, especially Batman Begins, as it goes back to some of the ideas and things talked about in the 1st and 2nd and done in the 3rd.

As far as nitpicks goes I do have a few: I do wish that Dent's death was used more and showed more of an effect on Gotham when it was finally exposed as the truth behind it. It was exposed by Bane and then really nothing. If Bane never found the letter nothing would have really changed. I also wish Bane, when he was on the steps of city hall giving his speech about Dent and the letter, told Gotham that Batman, the hero they turned against as their only hope, is gone and then held up the broken Bat mask. Otherwise it's kind of weird how Batman randomly shows up one night during the bank scene then disappears until the very end in the eyes of the people of Gotham. And lastly I think that they should have basically came out and said that Bruce went into hiding after the energy project failed so the viewers would assume it was because of Rachel rather then have Miranda say it to Bruce maybe someone like Alfred or Fox would bring it up.

Again I do think as people watch it more they will appreciate it more and understand the message/story better.

SICK likes this.
  25. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Rises would of been a much better movie if they just ended it after Bane breaks Bruce. Pretty much everything that happens after that was terrible.

PhinsRDbest likes this.
  26. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    That was the most boring "Breaking back" scene ever.

27. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    The actual moment when he does it it was. The fight and dialogue before was good though.

28. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I didn't really like that scene. Way too talky for an action film and Bane's never changing his inflection made it seem very "Ho hum."

29. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I liked how he taunted him.

30. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Rises would be a much better movie if the bad guys with guns actually made an attempt to shoot the legion of cops running down a street with no cover (it should have been a massacre). Or if guys who are getting their vehicles jacked actually offered any resistance, even in the form of panicked fire. Nope, I'm just going to let myself get jumped and not try and fight back in any capacity.

And then a tiny little girl can easily make a jump that athletic and grown men can't even come close to? Ok, sure.

It'd also have been a better movie if Batman got killed at the end. He probably shouldn't have had enough time (even assuming the ridiculous reactor conversion to timed bomb were possible) to get completely away from Gotham, let alone enough time to get far enough from Gotham and get himself far enough away from the explosion.

slickj101 likes this.
  31. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Well Bane's army did fire and kill cops charging at them. And don't forget that the cops had guns too , it wasn't like they were charging unarmed, they and outnumbered Bane's army. I believe someone, maybe Gordon, at one point said there were 10,000 cops trapped underground. But you can say that about any movie though not just TDKR. Type any action movie where the bad guy wastes way too much time telling the hero his plan etc.

Regarding Talia making the jump that other grown men couldn't, I mean doesn't that really matter much? That's pretty nitpicky there.

Regarding your third point, you're assuming Batman was actually still in "The Bat" when it crossed passed the bridge etc. Yes I know they showed him in the cockpit right before it went off but we don't know how or when he escaped. Just that he fixed the auto pilot on "The Bat".

32. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Rises also would have been a better movie if he rose once and not twice.

I get the fact that they are setting him up to quit being Batman since the first movie, but why did he quit being Bruce Wayne? Why did this loser just give up everything? Why didn't he use his persona to do good in the city and for the city.

That would have made it much more interesting when he did lose all his money.

Also annoyed me by the fact, The Joker won in the second movie. Because of the Joker, Batman quits, Gotham PD and mayor go against all their principles and create a police state in Gotham.

I also disagree with Nolan with not even mentioning the Joker. I don't understand how that respects Heath Ledger's memory.

I honestly do not believe the third movie was the movie he imagined and did it mostly because he was obligated to.

33. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    They actually asked and answered this question in the movie.

34. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Doesn't make it a good one.

A lot of problems I have with the movie is decisions that were made

PhinsRDbest likes this.
  35. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    lol This so much, the first paragraph especially. That took me so far out of the movie.

Don't forget we all learned that if we ever break our backs we don't need to go to the hospital, just grab a buddy to string you up and beat your discs back into place.

Stitches and PhinsRDbest like this.
  36. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    My problem is that I never gave a crap about Gotham. I think the League's argument that decadent and corrupt cities occasionally need cleansing made me think twice

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

37. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I actually agree, I think the reasoning for him going into hiding was weak. I get that he was lost between not being Batman and losing Rachel but an energy project that didn't work out makes him home bound is eh.