1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Miami Heat Return to the Playoffs Thread.

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Section126, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Riley is doing exactly what I said HE MUST DO. I am right alot it seems.

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm..oftentimes "right" means self delusional....:lol:

I won't go back point by point, there is no need, suffice it to say, Riley made moves, D Wade should be happier now that at least some effort was made and he is no longer wasting his time.

3. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I just got this blurb from my friend on Facebook.

4. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida

Why are you saying that? RILEY has DONE exactly what I said he had to do. He has not gone and blown up the team to add a second piece to Wade.

You must think I am ******ed if I didn;t want teams to give us great players for basically nothing.

I am not even sure wtf is your point. it seems to be about nothing.

I say...do not trade any young players..keep the core...ADD to what we have..DO NOT trade Beasley or Chalmers....keep the young core.

You say...oh...yeah...what is that about blah blah...and then you talk in a circle again.

explain yourself at least.

The least you could have done is said I was right and you were wrong...since you were so adamant.

5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sorry to have unbalanced you Sect, I could see Riley making at least some moves from a mile away, none of that "the plan" B$, no trading of Beasley ( something I never advocated for, that was your fear in all of this).

What I stood firm on was "the plan" is bull****, it's marketing a carrot in front of the horse pulling the cart, the Future is Now, especially in the NBA.

6. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Three things that I want to comment on:

(as usual, whether or not you want to grain & salt it is up to you)

1.) The "good news" from Wade's shared Twitter account is that he's going to have his own "puppet" commercial. There have been rumors swirling around that Wade is moving over to Nike, so that may be it. Then again, Nike does own Converse or a portion of it, something like that. Either way, that's what his "good news" is about.
    2.) As far as the Heat / Jazz potential deal is concerned, based on vibe going around right now, all I've got to say is: We'll miss you and there will always be a place for you in Miami, Udonis.

3.) I've been hearing a mixture of updates regarding Odom. I've been trying to find out as much as possible. Some people are sure that he's staying in LA, others think he signs with Miami by the top of next week. Apparently he feels disrespected by the Buss and since he views Riley as a mentor, Wade as a close friend, and Miami as his favorite career ball club, he'd rather play here for less. It's not that much less either when you consider the taxes, or lack thereof. Personally, I think he stays in LA and that conclusion of mine has nothing to do with any reports. It's just a feeling. I simply don't see it, although I'm rooting for it. I did drop $150 on the red #7 authentic back in the day (I've got his Clips and Heat jerseys).

7. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    if LA adds one year to the contract offer...he stays...IMO.

8. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    So what does it say that AFTER we do all these moves, the PLAN is still in place?

and in fact...we end up cutting more cap space?

9. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Exactly.

That's what people don't understand in terms of Miami's leverage. All of those "why would he take less money" arguments. His agent, not Odom himself, is ALL about getting that 5th year. He knows that the more years he can get out of a deal right now the better off he and his client will be. At 34-years old, Odom isn't getting a contract like this.

If you want to be realistic about it... consider the 5th year in Miami's proposal at $6 million vs. the probable vet minimum that he'd be signing 5 years from now if he accepts a 4-year deal from the Lakers.

I would not be shocked at all if Odom ends up taking Miami's offer. But I still see him staying in LA.

10. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I was basically told on Tuesday that the Boozer deal is basically spoken already...

no matter what IRA would have you believe...that loser actually wrote a blog entry from a Season Ticket Holder meeting that Riley "was taking a wait and see attitude" with Boozer.

Too bad that I KNOW for a fact that Riley PUSHED for the better part of 6 hours to get a deal done on tuesday. Only hang up was Utah holding out for Cook or Jones.

The Heat has also explained the tax benefits to Odom taking the deal we offered. IRA got that right.

If the Lakers put the SAME deal they offered back on the table...the Heat deal is worth more because of income taxes alone. LA cost of living helps as well.

11. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    BTW...Does CJ Miles have a player option for next year? THAT could be a problem and could cut 5 mil into our cap space for 2010. (I know Utah has pushed him on us)

12. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    And do people not understand that trading for Carlos Boozer does NOT effect our 2010 cap space AT ALL? Even some of the media is confused.

Boozer expires at the end of 2009-2010 and trust me we are NOT extending his contract unless he has one hell of a season... enough of a great season to satisfy both Riley and Wade that he is the guy to be paired with Wade for the rest of his career. That I do not see. One year rental / make Wade happy written all over this one, and that is fine by me.

I guaranSHEED... Udonis Haslem signs with Miami next summer for cheap. :D

13. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    HD...we could also keep Boozer at his current level contract and STILL be able to sign a MAX2 player....Joe Johnson...Rudy Gay...etc...

14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Perhaps that one misunderstood "the plan" in the first place?

15. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Yep. Boozer / Haslem swap is already agreed upon.

It's the third team we're waiting on.

If we cannot get a third party involved then James Jones is included instead of Wright & Diawara. That would shake things up from Riley's perspective. I don't think he wants to move J.J.

16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We'll see, keep in mind JO was signed by Riley for basically Shaq money, the idea that having JO as some sort of chit to signMax players would mean 23 million a year, 46 million bucks, was just wasted.

17. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    The entire point in this deal for Utah is saving money. Whatever we save them DOUBLES because they're already in the luxury tax (correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read that from Hollinger himself).

This deal:

Miami: Carlos Boozer
    Utah: Udonis Haslem, Yakuba Diawara
    Memphis: Dorell Wright

...saves Utah around $6-8 million alone.

If a hand shake follows that sends C.J. Miles to Miami for Toronto's TPE in a separate deal, then it saves those cheap title-less loser mother****ers even more. Maybe I'm being too harsh. They're #1 at being #2. Ask Jordan.

18. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Riley didn't give that deal to JO ($23 million)... but his contract expires at the end of the season.

So does Boozer ($12.7 million).

So does Mark Blount ($8 million).

So does James Jones ($4.3 million) (team option).

.............andddddddd of course Dwyane Wade ($15.8 million)

19. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    ...Riley is creating (if all of this happens) exactly what I wanted in the first place. Except BETTER.

He would make us contenders NOW...CUT cap space for 2010 ...JUST in case ..these guys don;t work out...if they do...the cap space he saves can be used to add to this NEW nucleus...

if not...he lets them all go and we are back to the ORIGINAL plan...

He would create flexibility.

I was just NEVER on board with any real TRADE to get a Bosh or Amare if it meant blowing up this team. Beasley especially. There are maybe 5 players I would trade Beasley for straight up and NONE of them are available.

nobody could predict that Boozer would come this cheap.

padre31 likes this.
  20. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Lets sign Lebron James next year :lol: Sorry thats just like my dream in life, to see Wade AND James on the court for us.

Anyway I'm really hoping we can land Odom and Boozer, we'd be an extremely tough team to beat. Especially if Beasley steps up his game like he should.

21. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Exactly.

If Boozer doesn't work out this means nothing to us. We're not giving up anything but expiring contracts... for an expiring contracts. It's a win / moot situation. Not win / win. Not win / lose. Actually it is a win / win because Boozer is set to be a 2010 free agent, and we're giving him a test drive instead of potentially wasting a max contract on him should Bosh / Amare become out of reach.

I also love the fact that Haslem probably signs back with Miami next summer. :D

Riley is a genius if he pulls this off.

22. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Most importantly he's showing Wade that he's doing whatever he can do build a contender. Happy Wade = win.

Seriously if Wade breaks his leg I'll give him mine. Anything to keep him here beyond 2010.

23. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    going to bed to watch TV...

I might get news tomorrow...(it is source friday)

I would not be the least bit surprised if they agree to the Boozer deal tomorrow or Saturday.

Best thing to happen to us is that Utah decided to cut cost and NOT get value for Boozer. That killed off Chicago.

so it is basically us. I am sure that Utah will attempt to squeeze Cook or Jones out of us.

24. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Don't we always pull off trades like this on a Friday? :lol:

I still think it goes down some time next week. They've got to get that third team in there unless Memphis is 100% set on Dorell Wright, which I'd be thrilled about. I think he'd excel over there and you all know I've got a soft spot for DW1.

25. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    ALMOST had it right... Dwyane Wade switching over to TEAM JORDAN.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/31954408

Damn. I wanted him to be purely Nike so I can finally buy one of his shoes. I don't wear Converse aside from Chucks, and I only wear Retro Jordan's... not that Chris Paul / Melo / Team ****. :(

26. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
  27. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Thats not even funny dude :lol:

28. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Thats why I was hoping he'd be gone, but no one is gonna take that salary.

29. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    It is SOURCE FRIDAY...

I see him in an hour....will post news (if I have any) around 6:30 to 7:00pm

30. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Agree, to me what Riley is doing is watching out for the fans who buy tickets and jerseys and what have you, my beef with the "plan" was it meant 2009 would be a wasted season...even before it began, by acquiring some people the fans and the team has a better chance of competing and winning in the suddenly ultra Tuff Eastern Conference.

Not giving up Beasley to do it, but the Heat had to make some moves when the three or four teams ahead of the Heat or slightly behind them acquired some ballers, Riley had to make some moves.

Well, he is not in Miami...yet...that was one of the problems with "the plan" type stuff, on paper it works great but things rarely work out as well as they do on paper.

Boozer, Odom (who would take a large pay cut to play in FL), I'd like to see the Heat get a stone cold scorer, a Tayshaun Prince type of player who can create and score...

31. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    We can't play with 3 basketballs.

All the scoring is TAKEN after these deals.

Any other scorer we add is overkill.

32. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Okay...be back around 6:30 to 7:00 to spill the beans.

(If he is talkative...that means that they are still working on it....if he is hush hush...it is imminent)

33. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    [ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4336149"]Miami Heat, free-agent Lamar Odom talk return, reports say - ESPN@@AMEPARAM@@http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4307909@@AMEPARAM@@4307909[/ame]

34. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Okay...

spoke very briefly with him....

On Odom:

Not much has changed. The Heat presented to Odom a report that broke down the life of the contract they offered as compared to the last offer he Lakers put on the table to demonstrate that the Heat offer is ON PAR based on tax savings and cost of living. Odom really thought he would get 40 for 4 this offseason AT LEAST. He has been dissapointed with what is out there. it is the Heat and Lakers...and alot of soul searching. Wade has been in his ear.

On Boozer:

Wade HAS been prohibited from speaking to Boozer as requested by Utah. The story narrative that goes "They are just monitoring the situation but are not negotiating"...is half true. Because they have already agreed to the parameters of the deal. On Thursday Utah inquired yet again about reworking the deal. My guy told me that there is a new player involved for Utah and one for Miami that has not been mentioned...but it is not a core guy...My guess is that the new player from Utah is somebody that a third team has interest in. I do know that Utah has REAL interest in Dorrell Wright if they had to keep him. UTAH is the one that inserted Wright's name in the negotiations.

as for the status of this trade...it is on hold till they cross the t's and dot the i's....UTAH is what is holding it up. We have already agreed to what we reported on here. Riley will have contact tomorow morning and is scheduled to take a few days off. Odom I think is going on vacation while these offers lay there. he is dumbfounded that the Lakers are refusing to budge.

Overall..not much new...just that the deals are there and as I was told "yeah...I think it is gonna happen." (Boozer) on Odom I got this: " I have no idea..I havent talked to Lamar..D-Wade does though."

enjoy.

Ludacris likes this.
  35. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    How in the hell can they enforce that or even ask that?

36. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    They ask that because it could be seen as tampering to effect the deal if Boozer starts telling other teams he won;t resign with them and it is found that Wade asked him to do that.

If I were Utah...I would be pissed at that too.

this is the second time that a team asks Wade to shut up about their player.

37. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Actually, I have many more positive waves if these moves are made Freestyle, the biggest impact will be on DWade himself, bringing in more talent will up his game as he knows the 09 season is not "lost" before it begins.

When a Star Player complains about the Front Office standing pat, and the FO then makes moves, the pressure then falls on the Star to make it work, and DWade is not the type to not give his best effort.

38. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    from ric buchers twitter "Btw, source says Heat haven't made an offer to LO. They still might, but consider this: Heat are hurting financially like everybody else."

39. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Ric Bucher is on CRACK.

First I reported that the Heat made an offer...and then the newspapers said we did...and then PAT RILEY said he made Odom an offer.

Ric Bucher should at least read Pat Riley's transcript from his presser on thursday. what a tool.

Ric Bucher is the worse "insider" on t he planet.

40. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    What?