1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Miami Heat Return to the Playoffs Thread.

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Section126, Oct 6, 2008.

1. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Unless I'm misunderstanding the red text (and I apologize if I am), I am stunned to read something as completely off the wall as this. Not even Wade's biggest haters would make such a comment. How often do you watch the Miami Heat, or better yet... basketball? Not a personal jab, I'm just saying. Whoa! Questioning Dwyane Wade's EFFORT is absurd. That should be the last thing one would knock about the guy.

2. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    I saw Bucher on TV yesterday explaining the DETAILS of Miami's contract offer to Odom. What a ****ing fake of an "insider" he is. :lol:

Seriously he's one of the worse in the business... does this every offseason and trade deadline. At least Stephen A. is entertaining!

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    You completely misread what I typed HiDef.

To make it clearer, we bring in those players in to try and win in 09 DWade will try his hardest to make it work because the pressure is on him then.

4. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Lamar Odom reportedly called Lakers' owner Jerry Buss in an effort to repair the damage done as contract talks have come to a standstill between the two parties.

Looks like Odom wants to stay in L.A to me.
    Well you guys may still land Boozer which would be a great pickup.

5. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    How did two people misunderstand that? :lol:

DWade is not the type = He would not do something
    To not give his best effort = Not trying

Lets mix the sentences real quick. He said Wade is not the type to give a subpar effort.

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Odom could have been playing the Heat trying to get more money out of the Lakers, not the first time in Miami sports history that a FA has done that to us.

We'll see, there is alot of smoke about these moves, there is more then likely some fire.

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Odom would be great, but Boozer is the real prize, I hope we land him.

8. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    He wants a 4th year. LA says no.

A 4th year would mean about 12 million more dollars than the heat can offer.

If the Heat could offer the exact amount the Lakers were offering....He would already be here.

That he is even entertaining a MLE offer says how much he would like to Play here...again.

The Lakers would have to pony UP DOUBLE whatever they pay him as a pay scale figure. So in essesnce...if they pay Lamar Odom what he wants...he would count upwards of 20 million a year due the the luxury tax.

Do the lakers REALLY want to pay a 6th man 20 million a year?

9. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Just got a text....

"Deal is done for Carlos Boozer." gonna be announced.

The Rev likes this.
  10. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
  11. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Good news.

12. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I gave you this one as a done deal LAST week.

Put in a call to my guy to ask about particulars.

I DOUBT he will tell me.....Just sayin'.

I talk to him personally tomorrow...will get some info on it.

13. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    My guy hasn't answered yet.

Herald is retracting their story.

14. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Herald changed their headline from:

Heat, Jazz agree to Boozer deal. with a tagline: Heat, Jazz agree on principle to deal for Boozer.

Now they changed it to:

Jazz, Player agree to trade.

15. The Rev

The Rev Totus Tuus Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box Club Member

Thanks for the heads up, brother.

Let's hope the other pieces fall into place.

One question for you, HD, and the others: Is Chalmers good enough to lead the team this year at point?

16. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Chalmers is in a postion to be alot like Rajon Rondo...except that Chalmers had a better rookie season than Rondo.

BTW...the Herald retracted if you haven;t noticed. LOL

My guy is yet to call me back.

The Rev likes this.
  17. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
  18. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Today is SOURCE Tuesday....

will have info ...or not....after 5:30 today.

The Rev likes this.
  19. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I just want some damn news.

20. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Is it 5:30 yet?!?
    Posted via Mobile Device

21. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I got a ton of stuff....

First of all....Cleveland signing Jamario Moon to an offer sheet could not come at a worse time. I will explain in a second.

Moon is a guy that the Coaching staff felt was the difference between winning and losing their first round series against Atlanta. When he went down with his injury (sports hernia) the series turned at that position. Riley feels that of all the moves made this offseason...this one is one that will go under the radar but will be one of the best. He thinks he is a great fit in Cleveland.

Now for why this came at a horrible time. Utah as early as Thursday of last week began to inquire once again about Daquan Cook or James Jones being included in the deal. Cook to keep..(to Utah).....James Jones to a third team (possibly the Clippers/Wizards).

The deal is in a precarious position now. When negotiations were opened...they were opened by a simple inquiry from Miami as to Millsap's contract situation. They originally thought that Utah wanted maximum value for Boozer and Miami WOULD NOT be a player. That changed in the course of a week when Utah decided to be a "0" against the luxury tax and were willing to take expirings. The Heat became the front runner.

Utah has simply decided that asking for Daquan Cook is reasonable. I am told it is an absolute deal breaker as per Riley. I would go so far as to say that if we included him...then this was a desperate move and pat Riley indeed blinked.

Pat Riley is banking on the noise Carlos Boozer is making to force Utah's hand. it is a game of chicken now...with Daquan Cook hanging in the balance. The Insistance by a third team to add James Jones was a point of interest and a player of target. basically a guy some other team wanted and brought up.

Now for Lamar Odom.

This is where the timing of the Moon signing comes in. Had the Heat been forced to deal James Jones or Daquan Cook....resigning Moon would have been an imperative. Now there is a deadline of Friday to resign him (NOT LIKELY..Cleveland gave him a 2 year deal and I am told it is prohibitive for a 8th man on the salary scale.) So they are losing a chip. Which makes a James Jones inclusion into a deal very unlikely. here is where Lamar Odom comes in. He has told the Lakers that he wants a committment this week or he will sign with Miami. it is being perceived as a bluff and I would not be surprised if the lakers call it and ignore his "deadline". At the same time..Riley has asked Odom for a decision sometime this week so he can proceed with what we have going on.

other than that...my source has no idea what is going on with the Odom situation. it is getting close to put up or shut up time. it CAN drag out all summer if the lakers reopen negotiations.

I am CONVINCED and so is the HEAT...that if the Lakers put a 4th year back on the table...He will resign with the lakers.

Frumundah Finnatic, The Rev and SICK like this.
  22. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Sports Center just said that miami is boozers dream landing spot.......im sure thats old news....

so section....what percentage do you see us with odom or boozer next season?

23. Den54

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Well if you don't sign anyone you still have a ton of cap space for next year but this year a 4th or 5th seed at best. Still not bad.

padre31 likes this.
  24. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Yes.

utah knows Boozer wants to be here...and that we want him...so they are testing us to see how much we want him.

IMO..if we trade Cook....along with Haslem and Wright...we blinked.

25. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    With Odom..this is the way I see it. I think the Lakers realized how much it would REALLY COST them to keep Lamar and they don;t want to do it.

if they try to lowball him..I think he comes here. So let's say/.......50/50.

On Boozer..I think it is gonna happen...but Utah is holding out for more...so I give it a slight edge in favor....let's say....60%.

NOW..if we sign Lamar ODom..I think getting Boozer is a LOCK. because I think Riley will blink on Cook or Jones.

26. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    so damn......we could have odom AND boozer??? beautiful.

27. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Very BAAAAAD blink.

28. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Best believe someone will end up in Miami Den54, a franchises's "star" said he wants the FO to add some pieces, they will comply with that request.,

29. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    Um... who the **** cares about Cook?

If Cook breaks a deal for a guy like Boozer... I'll flip out. Boozer keeps Wade happy for this year, and allows everything to fall into place for next year.

Cook is expendable. When we have studs like Wade/Bosh/Beasley in 2010... Cook is such an after thought its a joke.

**** Cook is what I say...

FinSane and #1 fan like this.
  30. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    Exactly. And Cook isnt going to make the difference between a title and not. The guy can only shoot 3s. There are plenty of players in the league that can only spot up from 3...

Of course I'd rather not give him if we dont have to. But if he breaks the deal... I'll be pissed.

31. Den54

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!

Oh I don't doubt that for a second. I've said Boozer most likely and long shot for Odom.

padre31 likes this.
  32. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Cook happens to be a hair over his 20th birthday..shoots the lights out..can defend and was a guy that went off many times this season and a big reason we were winning at midseason before his slump.

Giving him up is the very definition of "getting rolled".

You don;t give up contributors that young that make less than 2 million unless you make sure he isn't a budding star. Jury is waaay out on Cook.

33. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm sure he isnt a budding star. Will he get better? sure... hes young.

But a star? Its not happening IMO. He will be a nice little role player. But a replaceable role player shouldnt break a deal for bringing in an All-Star and keeping one of the best players in the world happy and content in Miami...

I dont see how in the world us giving up Cook would be considered getting "rolled"...

SICK, FinSane, padre31 and 1 other person like this.
  34. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    You are sure? you can;t be.

I suggest you look at his production and potential and then look at his salary situation.

THAT is the very definition of getting "rolled" in a deal.

35. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm sure he wont be a star. If I'm wrong 5 years from now, call me out on it. But he wont be a star.

Hey, I aint knocking the guy in terms of his production vs. pay scale. Hes a cheap player and has a nice shot.

But if we dont land Boozer... and Wade stays pissed b/c we didnt upgrade the team this year... it isnt worth it.

36. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think Dequan Cook could become a very good player in this league if he works hard. He can put points on the board in a hurry and is a very good shooter.

37. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    espn is reporting that the big cat is back for next year. i know he sucks, but i love magloire and his energy.

38. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I'm a Magloire fan. The guy was awesome down the stretch last year and you never heard him complain about minutes or not starting. Plus, he was an enforcer, which was nice.

39. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I like Cook, but streak shooters are a dime-a-dozen. Id give James Jones a slight edge because his defense is sooo much better than Cooks. Section, seriously, Cook is not very good on defense. Once in a while he'll come up with a steal, sure, but not very often. Cook at this stage is a one-dimensional spot up shooter who has a tendency to have long droughts after short spans of offense. Sure, he MIGHT develop later on in his career to be much more of a solid role player. But those are, as I said, a dime-a-dozen. We can find a spotty shooter or probably get one in return from Utah included in the Boozer deal. CJ Miles perhaps. But to sum it up, Cook is expendable. If all we're trading is a good but not great rebounder/post-defender(Haslem), an ever developing prospect(Wright), and a one-dimensional spot-up shooter(Cook) for an all-star PF in Boozer and maybe get backup perimeter player in return, Id do it. And not think twice.

40. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    cook is garbage. i can think of at least 30 other shooting guards i'd rather have on the team.