1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Miami Heat Return to the Playoffs Thread.

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Section126, Oct 6, 2008.

1. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Amen...

2. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    sigh....

now he is "garbage".

3. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    BTW..interesting that today is the artificial "deadline" Riley talked to Odom about ...and the word now is that the lakers have opened negotiations with Odom again.

They would need to insult him for Lamar Odom to sign here now. Because the only reason to open negotiations again is to add the 4th year...then we are gone.

I had it at 50/50 on Monday....it is about 30/70 now. Riley should put a deadline on it if he hasn't and pull the offer to work on the Boozer deal.

4. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

First, thanks to 126 for the sweet inside info on Boozer and Odom.

Second, I am stunned that the Heat would seriously consider Daequan Cook a major holdup in a deal for Carlos Boozer. Stunned. It's one thing if they're the only serious offer on the table and they think they can hang onto Cook and are just playing poker. Fine, but in the big scheme of things, if the Jazz would take Haslem, Wright and Cook, you pull the trigger and don't look back. I don't watch Daequan Cook regularly; I'm a stat geek, and what I see is a guy who is pretty much worthless if his three isn't falling. His defense and rebounding aren't bad for a guard, but he can't/won't pass, doesn't go to the hole and can't create an easy shot for himself or others. There's a place for players like that; Eddie House has made a nice living for himself, for example, but ultimately, you don't submarine a deal for an all-star forward just because of that. He's still young, but he turns 23 in April and has two pretty full years under his belt. There's not THAT much more improvement that you can expect.

FinSane, #1 fan and FinNasty like this.
  5. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    he's always been garbage. ok, he's made progress. in college, he came off the bench at osu. as a rookie he was in the d-league. this year, he was an undersized 2 who couldn't hit a shot after the all star break.

6. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Undersized 2 guard? what?

he is 6-5' 210 pounds.

After the all-star break he had a slump....but in what was essentially his rookie season, you are ready to call him "garbage"....he was THE REASON we won games at one point of time during the season....

I remember in THIS VERY THREAD all of us....not some of ous...but all of us lamenting that we needed Cook to snap out of his slump to win games.

I will just say that starting with your "undersized" comment...you demonstrated that you don't know what you are talking about concerning Daequan Cook.

7. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    But hey...don't take my word for it...

look at his Game Logs and see his impact in games. Check the Heats record in games where he beats his 9.1 ppg average. it is STRIKING.

he also happens to be a 22 year old that actually has a worthy reputation of being "clutch".

8. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    He was one of, if not the only real threat we had from behind the arc until James Jones found his stroke. I think he played some solid defense last year as well. When he's on, he's esentially Jason Kapono who actually plays D.

9. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami

not this again. the last time you said somebody was the REASON we won a game it was j.o. i'll root for cook's garbage ***, because he plays for the heat, but the fact that "we needed cook to snap out of his slump to win us games" and he didn't = garbage.

the fact that he didn't for over two months = UNDEPENDABLE, as in non-deal breaker for landing boozer.

10. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    i agree "when he's on" he has value for this team. but if i can get boozer, i'm not keeping around a player who's only ability is to shoot threes, hoping tonight that he's "on".

seriously though . . . he's a marginal player at best. there are atleast 30 other shooting guards better than him. i don't see why he can't be replaced.

11. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    If there are only 30 Shooting guards better than him...it would place him as the best off the bench shooting guard int eh league.

and When I SAY that SOMEBODY was the REASON we won a game...take it to the ****ing BANK...bet on it...take a picture....dance around it that he was the REASON we won a game.

12. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    and he is 22 years old coming off what was really his rookie season.....

13. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    BEEN POSTED....BUT 3 for 30...NO WAY he turns that down or the reported 4 for 36......

the Heat just cannot compete with those numbers. AND SHOULDN'T BTW.

He is NOT worth a 10 million a year contract at this stage. Especially when the market for a guy like Joe Johnson is going to start at 10 million a year next year.

14. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    That's why you should'nt count the chickens before they hatch Section.

15. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    ??????

and WHO was counting the chickens?

not me by a long shot. I am the guy advocating that we should not trade ANYBODY but expirings remember?

16. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    all the more reason to trade the guy. he cannot be depended on in an instant offense role for one. I think Eddie House was a much better player at the same stage as Cook is in now when he was here. House could shoot from all areas on the court, AND he drove to the hoop. Along with having a knack for getting steals. I dont see that from Cook. Cook also hadnt shown a whole lot of heart or confidence during his slump. Something seriously happened in his game. Maybe he got lazy. Or had a fight with Wade. Whatever it was, Cook was exposed as a limited, streaky jumpshooter.

With that said, I like the kid and hope he gets better, but id do the trade in a heartbeat.

#1 fan likes this.
  17. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    I guess the debate is then, do we give up Haslem, Wright and Cook (a 22yo up and coming #2) for an all-star 27yo power forward?

I have to side with giving up Cook as well because as much as we would like to keep him, getting Boozer would make the offense so much more formidable. A good low post guy on offense, Beasley playing small forward working around him and you have some bite down low. It will also free up Wade around the perimeter providing him with more space to work with.

Just my 2 cents :)

18. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Who couldn't see that one coming...:lol:

I'd peddle Cook in .0003 seconds for a Boozer on the Heat, that would give Miami a nice window to compete in the East.

To me a team is better of going with the known over the unknown, "he's a future star" is nonsense in the NBA, late in the season Cowherd was saying Bynum was a top 3 center...riiight.

A part of me is beginning to believe Boozer ends up in Chicago and Miami ends up with a "we tried" note to the fans.

#1 fan likes this.
  19. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    :lol: I can see it now

2009-2010 Miami HEAT - "We Tried!"

#1 fan likes this.
  20. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Chicago cannot offer the savings the Heat can to Utah.

BTW...for all of you Wade to Chicago conspiracy theorists......

They need to rescind the option on Rose, dump tyrus Thomas and trade away around 12 million this year to free up about 20 million in cap space.

so instead of Wade taking a 30 million dollar paycut...it would now be around a 50 million dollar paycut to go to Chicago.

Just did the numbers a little while ago to work out the offer that Bulls fans are pushing on the boards for Boozer....

Bulls fans expect Utah to go into the luxury tax for around 5 million just to help Chicago get Boozer...of course...the reason Utah is trading Boozer is to AVOID the luxury tax.

The more I look at it...Miami is the perfect partner for Utah to fix their cap situation.

21. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    why? you've been wrong twice about this.

what do you define as "the REASON" a player wins a game? is it clutch ability? like cook's 5 points a game in the playoffs? or not showing up at all during the stretch run of the regular season.

is it minutes, points, or assists? or any stat? because i don't think cook led the team in a single stat, in a single game all season.

i mean really, d-wade last year, and d-wade alone is the REASON the heat won games. if 2010 comes, and wade's two other options for scoring help are goofy *** michael beasley, and skittle eating dequan cook, i don't fault him for leaving.

in fact, if i remember right, wade gives his 10% tithe to his church in chicago. i think he's rich enough, and cares more about respect and winning than his surplus cash.

22. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    They would need to do that to sign Wade as of right now?

23. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    well considering they want to trade heinrich, who makes like 10 mill...i dont think it'd be that hard if they wanted to clear the space

24. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    who the **** wants Heinrich's death contract?

they will have to eat at least half of it back in any deal.

25. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    As of RIGHT now...yes.

if they get Boozer...forget about it. No chance at even a MAX 2 player.

although...Joe Johnson could go there for cheap...(make alot of sense) (Nice squad in Chicago if they pull that off)

Rose
    Joe Johnson
    Deng
    Boozer
    Noah

26. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Portland.

but I doubt DWade leaves for Chicago until next season, a crappy season and he may have had enough.

27. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida

I've been wrong "twice" about what?

you obviously don't even watch the games.

like I said...don;t take my word for it....look at the game logs and check our record in games where Cook beats his 9.1 ppg average...including an outburst in those playoffs....where you brought up his average. good for you...you know how to go to NBA.com...now check the game logs.

and the Wade tithing to his church in chicago...means what exactly?

so yeah...he will leave 50 million on the table. Are you going for annoyance now? because you are past the disagreement stage...you are approaching the worthless conversation stage.

You are wrong on Cook. simple as that.

Cook is a worthwhile player.

if you want to suggest that adding Cook isn't a deal breaker...fine..I can see it...maybe....but this "Cook sucks" crap is just toooo stupid and not worth anybody's time in this thread or any other.

28. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    well..he can;t leave until after next season....but...

he won;t leave for Chicago if Miami goes 0-82.

he won;t leave for chicago unless the NBA disbands the heat's franchise.

nobody is going to now dump FIFTY MILLION.

it is approaching the point where if a guy leaves 50 million on the table..then maybe you don;t really want him since he is obviously ******ed.

Wade is one of those guys.....that I would put waaaaaaaaaaay down the list of guys that "don;t care about money".

This guy wears 50k earings and has a driver and bodyguard to take him everywhere. he also has a judgement on the way for about 20 million for his divorce.

as weird as it is to say it...he needs a MAX contract.

29. Finsanity

Finsanity New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    City of Angels
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...z-won-t-be-bullied-into-tradin?urn=nba,178221

BTW for all the talk about 2010 Free Agency the way these things usually play out is lack luster. Lebron, Dwade, Bosh and Amare will almost certainly stay with their team. No one is going to leave sure money on the table that will be dumb. Just look at the Lamar Odom situation. He was offered 10mil/year for 3years to come off the freaking bench and he turned it down. Nobody going to giving that and the lakers are going to reduce their initial offer because they'll be bidding against themselves. He will be lucky to get 7 mil/year now. He should of got the 3 year 30mil and ask for and extension after 2years of the contract. Stupid agent.

padre31 likes this.
  30. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
  31. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    No matter where those four guys go they should get the max. Odom isnt like them at all.

32. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami

dude you on your period? chill out. we both watch the games. we both have access to nba.com. you're the one being annoying. it's obviously worth your time since you got so riled up.

33. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    if cook winds up being traded and we get Boozer

126 will definitely jump ship and commend Pat Riley for making a BRILLIANT move and sending out the EXPENDABLE Cook along with Haslem/Wright then act like he called it all along.

Section's the King of Spin.

:shifty:

SICK, Big E and Den54 like this.
  34. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    wrong.

I have said it twice in this thread. he would have got rolled.

and David Aldridge is on crack as well....."beasley"? get ****ing real.

it must be a nice world where people trade 2nd opverall picks that will average 20 ppg for one year rentals.

35. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I think it is obvious that you jumped out on the rag.

but it doesn;t matter. the point is that Cook is not "garbage".

36. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    BTW..today is SOURCE Friday.....

but as we can all surely tell on Odom...the Miami heat is just insurance for Odom just in case the Lakers ask him to go **** himself.

My guess is that the 4th year gets added or the Lakers come close to the 30 for 3 offer they made..and Odom resigns.

although ...the waiting has changed....before..every day that would go by meant he got farther away from the Heat....

Now..everyday that happens ...he comes closer.

ODOM watch meter is at...................25% (down from 30%)

37. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    thanks for the odom update Section

38. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    will see my source around 5:30 to 6:30pm...

will post what I learn afterwards or much later....it is friday afterall.

The Rev likes this.
  39. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    very briefly...gotta go....

On Odom: things not good. The "feel" around the offices is that He is pulling a MO Williams....in fact...they actually joke about it now.

if the Lakers come up with anywhere near 24 for 3 (the NUMBER RILEY THINKS the Lakers are willing to pay)..The lakers will retain him. it is now a longshot to the point where RILEY would be surprised if He signed. He has no idea why the Lakers reopened the negotiations after pulling 3 offers. it is just weird. Riley has not spoken to Lamar Odom this week.. supposedly...Odom is negotiating ALL THIS TIME with the lakers...more like..BEGGING them to give back any of the offers he turned down.

On Boozer: No movement...no discussions since Tuesday. Last they left talks...the question was a NEW third team and a new player was to be included.

The interested teams as per the Utah Jazz (probably lying..but who knows): Wizards, Bulls, Rockets. Pistons were not mentioned (I know ESPN mentioned them)

talks are basically non-existant. if you had to have a front runner..it is still the heat..but Utah is not happy about it. This has the potential to drag out because the Heat is not budging..and Utah is determined to get back at least one keeper.

the heat offer is still Haslem, Wright and an exception with a third team. My guy says that the mood sucks around the office right now. he used that exact term. Have no idea what that means.

Oh and I have the preliminary number for the MAX contract for Wade next season. 125 million for 6 years.

Frumundah Finnatic and The Rev like this.
  40. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Heat 2009 motto:

"we were just playin' y'all"

alen1, FinSane and Big E like this.