1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THE OFFICIAL MIAMI HEAT SUMMER of 2010 Thread.

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Section126, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Nah, go with R Allen, JJ is not the droid you are looking for.

Sect, you funny man, seriously, do you really think that Dev Harris is "conditionally" on the market?

Tsk tsk tsk, you've been around the block a couple of times, you know that once a team decides they can live without a player, then they are forever more on the tradeblock, the only question is price.

2. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Yes......he is conditionally on the market FOR CHEAP if they win the Lotto. READ THE THREAD DUDE!

Otherwise..pony up like everybody else.

I'd rather pony up for many other players before Harris.

3. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Allen can;t carry JJ's jock strap with a fork lift. he is also about 67 years older. No old folks. Wade has 6 or 7 years left in his career. Get him somebody that will grow old with him..not be in a grave in year 2 of Wade's max deal.

4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Allen is a add water and throw into the lineup outside shooter, and either way the Heat will have to develop someone, even if they keep Q.

As I mentioned, imho Wade needs options to really take the Heat to the next level, not someone who maybe is good 3yrs down the road, add Allen and Amare' and Harris, short term, mid term, longer term settled.

5. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Nope. You get a chance to add a Rudy gay or John Salmons or Joe Johnson over Ray Allen (for about the SAME MONEY BTW) and you do it.

NO OLD FOLKS. The Old folks go on the bench for experience...build a young trifecta with Wade as the ring leader. that is the recipe for 3 Ships in the next 6 or 7 years.

6. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I say sign Joe Johnson as well, he seems to fit what Riley looks for in a SF, one that can also play the 2 and sometimes even 4 in small lineups. Plus he can handle the ball. I also think the Grizzlies will match Rudy Gay's salary, considering no one is going to want to sign there, who else do they think they can pay? Might as well retain the only star player you got.

7. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Joe Johnson cannot play the 4...he can barely play the three. Gay is a very good player though.

8. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    At 6'8 I'd beg to differ. He'd be like a more polished version of Beasley, but I would only use him at the 4 if we're going with a small lineup. Like Beasely, he has no power only athleticism. But he brings more to the court than occasional offense bursts, he can play defense on the perimeter and he's a good long range rebounder, something we lack.

9. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Gay is 6'9" but with a 7'3" wingspan. He cant play PF every night unless its for a coach like DAntoni where he could kind of be like Shawn Marion. Hes a tougher player then Beasley though. Watching Gay for years at U Conn he likes contact and is at his best when hes drawing contact

Section126 likes this.
  10. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    But Im not so sure Gay would fit in our type of offense and what Riley likes in his starting SF. Riley likes swingmen, ala Majerle, Bowen, Posey, Odom, Walker, Mason, ect. Like another poster said, Gay really is strictly a SF and not much else.

11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Cool that each team congratulated the other one after the game was over, Bron had some sort of static over that last yr.

My prediction is James goes to NY, Chicago is a distant second as ownership there is notoriously tight fisted.

Odds (imho)

NY..45%
    Stays in Cleveland 40%
    Chicago 12%
    Miami/NJ/whomever 3%

12. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Of all the free Agents...TWO have visited the Heat facility so far.

Raja bell...and Rudy Gay.

Riley wants Rudy Gay bad. He already tried to trade for him before.

I am not speculating...

The Targets are Bosh or Amare and then an offer sheet for Rudy Gay. There is a ton of anecdotal evidence..including stuff that me and HD have been told by very reliable sources.

Again...it has been a 2 year contract extension negotiation with Rudy Gay...The Grizz have not budged off of 50 for 5. Why would they match 13 mil a season now?

13. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    I know for a FACT that we tried desperately to acquire Rudy Gay at TWO POINTS within the last season and a half.

14. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Gay isnt a 2/3 swingman but he didnt subscribe to that when he had Larry Johnson/Anthony Mason in NY.

The guys who Rudy Gay would be most similar to in Riley's past coaching experience is James Worthy offensively/Michael Cooper defensively. I could see why he would want Rudy. Watching Rudy for the past four years or so he can do so many things well and if you put him on a team where he doent have to be the guy and he can just be a finisher and make a bunch of game changing defensive plays he could finally achieve his potential.

Another thought: Gay is one of the few players who could matchup size-wise with Lebron and at least make him work. Because of Gay's wingspan hes a matchup problem and Riley knows the east will go through Lebron (whereever he is) and Orlando (where you have VC and Lewis)

Section126 and High Definition like this.
  15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Just so I'm clear here, Rudy Gay is the missing piece for the Miami Heat in the consensus opinion of real NBA fans?

Can Rod Serling play PG on that mythical team? I think C Fred Munster is available for the right price as well...:chuckle:

You fellas trippin', then again it was considered a great move keeping Beasley...let me ask, were would Rudy Gay play on the Celtics, Lakers or Magic?

16. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    If you assume theyre keeping wade and getting Amare or Bosh with him then its not an illogical conclusion. You need a defensive swingman who has length and Gay provides that.

17. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    This.

No one's talking about Rudy Gay as the centerpiece of free agency. He's the third wheel.

18. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    On the Lakers, they trade away Artest and Start Gay at the #3.

On Orlando..they dump Vince and start Gay at the #3.

On Boston...they Play him at the #3 and Pierce at the #2 and they pass on resigning Allen.

Yep..he starts on all 3 teams.

and again..NOBODY is talking about him as the center of Free agency. he is being talked about as #3 in the trifecta of a Wade/Amare or Bosh/insert third guy here.

19. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Our favorite ******* is up to it again..and THIS TIME..he gets the Houston Rockets GM to Rip into Pat Riley.
    Gee...Genius GM Morey.....so what is YOUR PITCH? "hey, we got Aaron Brooks...and we spent a billion dollars on a guy (Trevor Ariza) that RIley finds for the minimum whenever he wants to...but I PROMISE...We are gonna roll out the Corpse of Yao Ming for at least 40 games this year!!!..COME SIGN HERE!!"

BTW..Daryl Morey...the Heat spent more on salary than you did last year and the Heat is slated to spend more than your team AGAIN this year.

I smell a GM that is targeting Chris Bosh and is scared ****less that he will have to take our scraps.

Daryl Morey..throwing rocks at the Riley throne.

20. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Simmons is absolute douche, as we've discussed before. I have no idea what his pathological obsession with hating all things Heat/Miami is about, but the guy has a serious problem.

I can only imagine Pat chuckling as he reads this. "Check back with me when your team gets out of the first round Daryl"

I also love how ESPN and every other talking head refuses to even discuss Wade in the 2010 FA as if he's chopped liver. Just ridiculous. Now I want LeBron to come here just so I can read a ridiculous Simmons column about how the pairing will never work because they won't be lifted by the Miami crowd.

Section126 likes this.
  21. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Don't forget that the Celtics averaged a massive 300 fans more per game than the Heat in attendance.

But this is easy to see...This is a GM that obviously really wants Chris Bosh, and he knows that the Heat will have to turn Chris Bosh down for him to even consider Houston.

schmolioot likes this.
  22. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    TiP54 likes this.
  23. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    What is the reason Wade hasn't resigned? Of all the guys I kind of thought he was a done deal, would be kind of shocked if he moves on. Then again if Bosh or LeBron signs somewhere first....

24. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    The calendar prevents them from resigning.

They are all technically under contract till June 30th. They then must OPT out on that day to be eligible for a new contract.

On July 1st they can commit, but the earliest they can officially resign is in July 8th.

25. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Can't extend like Melo?

26. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Melo extended at the same time Lebron and Wade did 4 years ago..except that Melo took an extra year. Wade and lebron took player option years.

Melo is a FA next season.

27. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    In short..NBA rules prevent an extension to a contract that has a final player option year.

The NBA does not ALLOW scrapping of player option years such as the NFL does.

the player must play out the entire contract right up till the option day. He then must either opt in for the last year of the deal or Opt out to get more money in an extension.

finfansince72 likes this.
  28. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Chris Bosh has been advised by people around him to "join Wade in Miami" because it'd be the best destination for him based on the city, the organization, and the opportunity to win. Wade and Bosh have been talking since the season ended... much more than the norm.

More to come......

The Rev likes this.
  29. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I wonder what happens if both LeBron and Bosh want to come to MIA.

30. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    How does a sign and trade work?
    Sign a player and trade?
    As if, Team A wants a player X who plays on team B.
    Team B wants the player Y who they cant sign because of cap, so team A signs player Y and trade him for player X?
    Thats the only thing i could come up with. lol

padre31 likes this.
  31. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    In a fit of curiosity I looked up the odds of LeBron's next team...

Bulls: 2/1
    Cavs: 8/11
    Heat: 15/2
    Nets: 8/1
    Knicks: 5/2

The Bulls are the favorites? Really? Do the oddsmakers know something we don't?

And just because I'm desperate for money right now, the Knicks look like a tempting bet...

32. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That's what the insiders have been saying of late. Chicago and Cleveland have been the favorites for a while now. I see New York as a long shot. The big market thing is over played b/c you win championships and you'll be on Sportscenter just as often. So other than the big market thing that in the end means nothing, I don't see the attraction.

The Nets could be attractive though. Harris and Lopez are seen as young guys with all-star talent. They are likely to have the 1st or 2nd pick and may be able to add two max players. They could end up with Harris, John Wall, Lebron, Bosh and Lopez. The downside is that they have to play in Newark for a couple of years.

33. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It works like this:

In the NBA the player's team has advantages when it comes to retaining players, they can pay 30 million bucks more than an offer from a different team, so Team "X" informs Team "Y" that they will sign player "Z", it is a done deal, but "Z" would prefer the additional 30 millie so they say "hey Team Y, sign me to an extension, and Team X will then trade a package of player G, H and J, I get more money, you get some players and I wind up with Team "X"."

Say Bron signs in Miami, he first resigns in Cleveland, they receive Beasley, Haslem and whomever, Miami receives Bron +30 millie larger contract.

It's the NBA, the #2 overall pick was sent to the Developmental League...their player personnel moves are all ****ed up.

TiP54 likes this.
  34. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Beasley gets packaged with James Jones for future draft choices (serious)

35. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    I am quite puzzled that people aren't talking about the Clippers. Do you see the line up potential there (and they do have the cap space to sign one max free agent)....

G - Baron Davis
    G - Eric Gordon
    F - LeBron James
    F - Blake Griffin
    C - Chris Kaman

+ Lotto pick

Sure the bench is absolutely shot, but that starting 5 is COMPLETE.

Stitches likes this.
  36. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    For LeBron....

Clippers - Should very appealing. If he's still into the whole "I want to be the only superstar" thing, that value is there for him. They've got last year's #1 overall draft choice as well as Kaman, Eric Gordon, and Baron Davis to compliment him. Lotto pick this year as well. No bench. Building block. May be a mid-level addition or two in 2011 away, if Baron Davis doesn't drive LeBron into retirement by then.

Bulls - Rose and Noah building block. Potential trade bait with Hinrich and or Deng, if not, both players are solid contributors. Taj Gibson has a bright future ahead of himself as well. Still, they'd be a shooter and a deeper bench away. Building block. Maybe a mid-level addition or a couple of trades (since they have the chips) in 2011 away.

Knicks - Gallinari and Wilson Chandler is what he'd have right off the bat, as well as the potential to sign perhaps another max free agent and some role players. Lotto pick there as well. HUGE building block, IMO. Might be a 2-3 year plan.

Heat - He's better off playing with Dwyane Wade than a combination of 4 or 5 solid players. This is his best bet, but knowing LeBron, I doubt he'd be willing to share the spot light. Forget about how much cap space Miami would have remaining... this is Pat Riley. He can make something out of nothing. If I'm LeBron James, honestly, I call up Dwyane Wade and make this happen on the first day. He won't, though. Too self centered.

Nets - Very, very intriguing. Oh hai, Jay-Z. John Wall perhaps? Brook Lopez is one of the best young big men in the league. Devin Harris is solid when healthy, and could be used to fish a solid player or two if New Jersey, err, Brooklyn lands John Wall. They have a pretty nice young core in Lopez, Harris, CDR, Courtney Lee, Yi, and Terrence Williams. I like this situation a lot for any of the top tier free agents.

Cleveland - Stay home. Stay loyal. Exit in the first or second round for the majority of your career. Might see a few conference finals appearances at max. Seriously, aside from money... there is NOTHING here.

37. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    I was curious as to whether there'd be a chance Lebron goes somewhere that wasn't CLE, CHI, MIA, NJ, or NYK and you make it look like about as good a spot as any. I'd go there with that team before I went to NY or NJ at least. But that's just me.

38. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Kobe and LeBron in the same arena... all season long... WCF on a "neutral" court... imagine.

Knowing LeBron, though, he wants the tabloids all for himself in whatever city he chooses.

39. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    LAC is primed for Carmelo Anthony in 2011.

40. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    But its still the clippers. And knowing Lebron he will want the brightest lights. That means NY.

Knicks dont have a lotto pick this year. Remember that douchebag Isiah? This was the draft pick sent to Utah in the Marbury deal when Phoenix dealt Marbury to NY and sent Gugliotta to Utah. If Utah resigns Boozer theyre should get even better because of this.

The only drawback to NJ is that he will have to spend two years in Newark before the team moves to Brooklyn. Cant see the King spending two years in purgatory.

The big thing with the Knicks is the opportunity to build a young strong roster around him. Curry has value in the last year of his contract. It will be interesting to see if he's dealt draft night as things have been awfully quiet. Really its less then 9M of their cap committed to players if they can somehow rid themselves of curry either in a trade on draft night for another player or pick. There's been speculation he could be included for Tony Parker with Willie Chandler. Knick fans can only hope. :up:

padre31 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.