1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THE OFFICIAL MIAMI HEAT SUMMER of 2010 Thread.

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Section126, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I heard the Wizards are the favorites to land Rudy Gay. Minnesota is going to pursue Gay but I find it hard to believe Gay would go to Minnesota over more accomplished teams.

2. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007

Say what you will but Minnesota has alot of pieces they can move to acquire some real talent. IF Minnesota could land a top 10 FA they could be thrown in the mix.

The odds of this are quite slim but still a scenario.

3. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Would be nice if true, I'm a Wiz fan but why would Gay want to go to DC?

4. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    This is as simple as I can make it...

(The Player has ALL the leverage)

Player A is contacted by team B for a contract. Player A requests the "real" full max and forces a sign and trade. Team B then contacts Player A's current team and informs them of the deal. Player A's team then negotiates a deal for the player. Usually, they never get real value of course. negotiations can be forced to end by Player A's team. (They can refuse a S&T)

But Player A cannot be traded in a sign and trade at the whim of Team A. Player A must approve the trade, even the players going over on the deal. the Player has ALL the leverage.

In the end...a belligerent Team A can just have player A say "**** you..I am gone..and you get nothing". and just sign straight up.

The most likely team to get belligerent is Toronto...and I can see Cleveland forcing Lebron to take 30 mil less to leave.

TiP54 likes this.
  5. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Well...if they offer the MAX..they are indeed the favorites.

because the Only suitors I heard of are NJ and Miami and both are going to offer in the 12 to 13 mil range.

I think he is a lock to sign our offer sheet. (Miami) But Miami is limited to 13 mil for gay. they have the Max contract reserved for Amare/Bosh

6. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    I think he wants to play in DC because its so close to home.

Yeah I think Washington will offer a max contract for him. Not sure on Minny. If he wants to win his best shot is with Miami.

7. SoFLO

SoFLO New Member

May 15, 2010
    Miami, FL
    LeBron wants to win. Plain and simple. His best bets are Chicago and Miami. I also think Brooklyn is a good chance because of the Jay-Z connection, lottery pick, cap space to sign other players, and a young center with potential (hard to find these days).

8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    ESPN radio is killing the "Lebron to Chicago" storyline, as in they refuse to drop it..and the only one who is not pimping that storyline claims James has to stay in Cleveland or "his legacy will be tarnished".

ESPN is just garbage most of the time.

To me, the reason why Pat Riley is being coy about coaching again is that is a massive chip to toss into the Lebron James pot, "you want to win a title? Okay, sign here and I'll coach again" no other team has that chip to ante up with, but according to the bright lights at ESPN Radio..nah..chicago..even though ownership won't pay Coaches and haven't exactly been a powerhouse in Free Agency.

The Knicks make sense, even though ESPN Radio seems to think the real money is from James having shoe sales in China, not in the US, and he has to win a title to increase his brand value blah blah blah.

Miami makes a ton of sense for Lebron, even if he signs a MAX deal, when it ends he will still be young enough to go elsewhere, and no other team in the mix has a potential coach as good as Riley, or a Star as big as DWade, sorry Bulls, but DWade led an undermanned Heat team to the 5th seed, and Rose is a ball hog (imho) Wade has no problem dishing the ball and he can close if James plays point forward.

Should be fun, but imho NY, Miami and Cleveland has the best shot at landing James, but I also think he is d-o-n-e with Cleveland.

9. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    If I'm Lebron I sign a 2 year deal nothing long term

10. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Charles Oakley (Friend of lebron) says that Lebron James will decide between Chicago and Miami.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Saw that during the game. Man, Lebron and Dwayne Wade would be unstoppable.

12. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    At 15/2 Miami becomes a pretty enticing bet... damn, this is tempting now.

13. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    it will be fun...although the heat will Kill it's season ticket holders if that happens. (They did it before)

14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eh, if that will end the "sign Rudy Gay" stuff.

Landing Lebron would be massive, the next step would be finding a better inside scoring option, a reliable one and a point guard who can hopefully hit some perimeter shots.

I see someone mentioned Josh Howard, AFAIK he tore an ACL late this season and maybe the Heat should look to the Clips for a PG like Baron Davis and maybe Kamen, that would solve some problems imho.

15. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    If the heat got Lebron to team with Wade...a point guard would be obsolete.

The point guard will only be asked to defend.

Wade already handles the ball over 35% of the time..with lebron..the PG would hardly ever bring the ball up and set the offense.

They would need to concentrate on a PF and rebounding while adding cheap shooters (Raja bell, Que, etc..)

16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Disagree Sect simply because the PG helps when James and Wade are resting or in foul trouble, you need that flexibility during a game.

I'd think Davis would come cheaply not sure about Kamen, but he would be the sort of board wiper the Heat need imho.

It's a pity TMac is such a low character player otherwise he would be the second inside presence/scorer the Heat need.

17. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Beasley can become that inside scoring option, Imo.

18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not seein' it Bro, Beasley just lacks any sort of drive to his game, he is waaay to inconsistent to be relied upon during a Title run.

19. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Davis is not cheap. he signed a FAT contract last year. Caman is too expensive as well.

it is Lebron, Wade, and Amare or Bosh in a S&T and voila. A PG of any real quality is overkill.

Mario Chalmers is fine in that instance.

20. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    I think Lebron, Wade, and Riley can change that.

21. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    He is 21.

He is ahead of other Hall Of fame PF's at this time in their careers.

Can't teach pure offensive skill and athleticim...as a third banana..he would have ZERO pressure.

Basically..a Lebron / Wade tandem ...and it is a wrap. No team has ever put the two best players in the world on the court together. This would be the first time and uncharted territory.

22. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That doggy no barky, let alone bite.

Ship him to Golden State were he can score 23 pts a night on a team so crappy no one pays attention to it.

23. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Padre, I think you're not giving Beasley much credit. He played solid basketball last season, and he's still 21 years old. You give him a chance to win, and I guarantee you he plays better. Winning cures everything.

24. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach

How are your legs? Seriously... ANYONE could run the point with a Wade/LBJ/Bosh core.

25. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    David Lee is a FA right?

If thats the case he is better off in Miami.

26. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I can also shoot it from three if nobody puts a hand in my face....which they won't if I am playing with Wade and Bron.

That would be the easiest job in sports to play PG on that team.

27. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    David lee is a FA but he wants 5 for 50 and I think he is crazy for wanting that.

28. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Sec, what's your thoughts on all of this LeBron/Calipari package deal talk?

On one hand, I think coaching is pretty overrated (see Doc Rivers) but I also can't help but feel a little like some team is going to give LeBron the keys to the asylum which will be run by him and his entourage. I guarantee that won't end well.

29. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I think it won;t hunt.

Calipari has a deal NOW that no NBA team can or will want to match.

and yes...I can see a team bending over to the Lebron entourage...it won;t be Miami though...we have a culture and this is Riley's show.

As Ira said.....Pat Riley will meet with Lebron on Day 1 of FA and push his chips to the middle of the table and ask THEN AND THERE..."You are in or you are out..." then move on right away if he does not commit right away.

There is nothing to "think about". The numbers are the same except that miami has Tax advantages...so the money is actually better here. We have Wade. You either want to win here or you want to sell sneakers. it does not take more than 30 minutes to either accept our terms or say "no".

BTW, Chris Bosh has sold his condo in South Beach and BOUGHT a House in Coral Gables.

schmolioot likes this.
  30. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Thanks bro. So, gun to your head, who goes where?

My ultimate guess is that we end up with Bosh, but I absolutely think we take the shot at LeBron first. I think it will be very telling if Besley/Cook are traded draft night. If they are, Riley has to know he's got two max guys ready to go.

Section126 likes this.
  31. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I think this is how it will shake out:

Lebron = Cavs
    Wade = Heat
    Amare = Heat
    Joe Johnson = Bulls
    Bosh = Knicks
    Boozer = Nets

but it is fluid.....

One thing is for sure..Miami will get either Amare or Bosh. Miami is #1 destination for both guys (both live here in the offseason)

it is a real mystery though as to which guy Riley wants.

he scouted and wanted to draft Bosh...he tried to trade for Amare twice....so who knows?

The only thing I know is that Wade thinks Amare fits his game better.

schmolioot likes this.
  32. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    and yes...do not forget to put on your Nets gear and root root root for those lottery balls to fall NJ's way.

They get the #1..Devin Harris is available for cheap. They don't...they will want value.

schmolioot likes this.
  33. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I've become an Amare man over the course of the season. The man has just been a beast. Sometimes I wonder if we shouldn't have just taken on richardson's contract to get the trade done. He would've been a short term upgrade and then been an extremely valuable expiring contract next off season.

Regardless, I totally agree with your point that we're not waiting around for LeBron. If amare or Bosh commits day 1 you can't tell them to hold their their horses. LeBron either makes a decision right away or doesn't. Unless of course everybody simply waits around for the LeBron chip to fall before making their moves.

34. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Perhaps, but keep in mind that the PG also has other things they need to do especially in the East..someone gotta match up with Rondo and it shouldn't be Wade or whomever for most of the game.

To me, what is being missed is Riley wants a culture of winning, bringing in these cats from teams that didn't win and never have won is not exactly a good way to kick off that effort.

Bosch can average 23/10 when no one cares, what happens when the lights are on out on the stage when it does matter?

Ditto Rudy Gay, what was the most important game in Memphis in the last 3 seasons? Basically...none.

35. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    How does this take away from their caliber as being excellent basketball players?

36. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You have to build winners to have a culture of winning. To have a winner you need better players.

To analogize, what did Pau Gasol ever win before he went to LA? By your logic, LA shouldn't have traded for him because he hadn't been part of a preexisting winning culture in Memphis.

Winning comes when your talent level is sufficient. Bring the players in, let them play, watch the wins pile up. All of a sudden, you're a winner.

37. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Because winning when it matters is as much of a skill as scoring points or snagging rebounds, if a player hasn't won by now and you hand them 30 million or more, what makes anyone think they will start winning "now"?

38. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Memphis made their lone playoff appearance with Pau on the team.

And he walked onto a team with talent on it already from Odom to Bryant to Fisher.

39. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I think Rod Thorn will want value for Harris either way. He's one of the sharper GM's in my opinion. I think he knows Harris' 2008-09 season was his maximum upside and will try and sell him at that price if he does get wall and trades harris. That team could go from awful to scary good really quick.

Trades Harris for a SG or a PF and sign either Johnson if they want a SG in FA or Lee or Boozer if they decide to go with a PF in FA. Lopez, Wall and Terrence Williams are a nice young core to build around

Would not complain one bit if the Knicks cam out of this offseason with just Bosh. Not sure thats the way it will go down but I wouldnt complain. Its been so long since we have had a legitimate center (Camby) and even longer since we Knick fans had a guy who could be a force on both ends of the court (Ewing).

40. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Key word being "lone." Memphis was not a consistently winning franchise or team even with Gasol.

Indeed he did, but the Lakers hadn't won a championship since Shaq was traded. At the time, the Spurs were more consistent winners than the Lakers.

But the point here isn't to obsessively analyze the details of Gasol's career. It's to refute your premise: when you talk about the culture of winning and how importing players from bad or inconsistent teams is a detriment, you're wrong. Good players can leave bad or unsuccessful teams and win championships elsewhere. Look at Kevin Garnett leaving the terrible Timberwolves and going to the then-nearly-as-bad Boston Celtics. Look at Shaq coming to Miami. There are a multitude of examples.

There is no cultural detriment to importing a good player from a bad team. It's the exact opposite: your culture improves because your winning percentage improves.

Mainge and dolfan32323 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.