1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***The Official NHL Thread 2008/2009***

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by unifiedtheory, Sep 20, 2008.

Tags:
  1. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I figured with training camps getting kicked off around the league this weekend I'd start an NHL thread....seems appropriate.

I was also in the mood since Canucks single game tickets just went on sale today. Got my tix to see the Bruins in town on October 28th. Lower bowl, in the corner, row 14....at a cost of $278.50 for 2!

Yes, almost $140.00 a ticket to see a regular season hockey game. I feel so used but the B's have not been to town in awhile.

Pink_dove likes this.
  2. PeaTearGriffin

PeaTearGriffin Season Ticket Holder

Dec 8, 2007
    Can't wait for the season!

unifiedtheory likes this.
  3. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Holy Canolies,bro! I love my Hockey but can't do anything like that anymore.
    Glad to hear you got your tix....:knucks:

Hope my Devils do well this year.Not really a good off season for them except Brian Rolsten and maybe if Holik finds his old magic.But,looking forward to the season none the less.....

4. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Yah, it's been awhile since the B's were here and a decent team, had to go. The funny thing is, the game is not a "premium game". Those premium games (of which there are about 15) are about 10% more expensive.

This is what happens in a hockey market like this one. The team missed the playoffs and has very low expectations going into the season. Yet, the season ticket waiting list is about 9,000 names long and they raised prices about 7% going into the season.

BTW...every ticket for every game in Vancouver is sold. All you can find are singles.

54Fins likes this.
  5. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Ok, Im an Islander fan as many of you know...so the question is, can any of you non Isle fans out there name a single player on the isles roster not named Dipietro, Guerin, weight, Hunter, or Witt?

Ready? Go!

*crickets*

Thats what I thought. Gonna be a long year. At least Kyle Okposo, Josh Bailey, and that #1 overall will be something to build around.

adamprez2003 and unifiedtheory like this.
  6. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Dude, I feel your pain. They are THIN.

7. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    THIN would be an upgrade. 13 of their top 19 most talented (in my opinion) players on their roster are under 25, and a couple like Dipietro are only slightly older.

But I have to say I like what Garth Snow is trying to do, stockpile picks and the farm system, because they simply cant attract any top flight FA's even by overpaying. So really this was the only way to go. That top Center prospect in juniors, forget his name, is eventually going to give the isles a solid 1-2 with Bailey down the middle. Then Okposo, Comeau, Bergenheim and some of the guys they plucked loose in this years draft like Kirill Petrov. Ah well, 3 years from now, we'll be nice :cry:

8. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Let's go Rangers! 1994!

9. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    Unified, what are your thoughts on the B's this year?

Very young team... and how about Milan Lucic? I love the way that kid plays.

Hopefully we're in for a pretty good year, at least till the playoffs roll around..:sad:

10. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Can't wait to watch the Wings win it all again!! Back to back again!!!

When you compare your roster from year to year, and all you have to report in changes is loosing Hasek, and gaining Hossa and Conklin... Id say chances of repeating are pretty damn good!

11. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I'm the wrong guy to ask because I'm WAY too optimistic about them for my own health.

I look at it this way.

We have two LEGIT #1 centers (Bergeron, Savard). A damn good young center who will be on the third line and play on the powerplay and can kill penalties (Krejci). Krejci is going to be a very good two way center, he's only 22 years old. They also have a useful Stephane Yelle who will play checking line minutes and kill penalties. Throw in the other young centers (Nokelainen, 22 and Sobotka, 21) and you have depth, lots of it. One of the two kids (Nokelainen or Sobotka) will start the year in Providence I think but they were both excellent in the playoffs last year and can play wing in a pinch.

On the wings they are in alright shape, depending on two things, Phil Kessel and Michael Ryder. Phil Kessel went from the doghouse to the penthouse in two weeks during the playoffs. He can be electric when he wants to be and is still VERY young (20). I don't know where he will play though. From where I sit, starting him out on a third line with David Krejci and Milan Lucic would seem like a good idea. Krejci is a good defensive player and Looch adds muscle, it would give Phil room to be creative. Mike Ryder will, from my point of view, start the season on the wing with Marc Savard. A fire hydrant could score 30 goals playing with Savvy so he should be able to regain his form.

My proposed lines:
    Peter Schaefer - Marc Savard - Mike Ryder
    Marco Sturm - Patrice Bergeron - Chuck Kobasew
    Milan Lucic - David Krejci - Phil Kessel
    Jeremy Reich - Shawn Thornton - Stephane Yelle - Petteri Nokelainen - Vlad Sobotka (the 4th line will be in flux depending on opponent and injuries of course)

Six of those forwards are 23 years old or younger BTW...:yes: They also have other prospects (Carl Soderberg and Blake Wheeler) who could make noise in camp. Soderberg could make the team.

The defense? Well, it is a questionmark for me.

Zdeno Chara is a HORSE. He had a legit claim for the Norris trophy and was a total stud in the playoffs. Dennis Wideman was very good last year. Aaron Ward is what he is, a reliable guy as long as he is not asked to do too much and Mark Stuart is young (24) and really came on late in the year. He is part of the young leadership core and plays with an edge. I think he grows into a top 4 guy this year. After that, well, it is THIN. Andrew Alberts is pedestrian but can play some minutes, Shane Hnidy and Andrew Ference are both touch and go.

I really want to see 22 year old Matt Lashoff make this hockey team. He has a ton of upside, he just needs to put it together.

They will likely look to get a defenseman at some point this year. They have a glut of youth both on the big club and in the minors. They can deal from strength to address a weakness.

The goaltending is serviceable. Tim Thomas is a horror show to watch but the puck hits him, he can be dominant for stretches, he can also be dreadful. Manny Fernandez is healthy and is a stabilizing presence (with his play, not personality). He is technically sound and will be the #1a.

Truth is, I don't THINK either one of them can take them to the promise land. That job is Tuukka Rask's (can't discuss the Bruins without talking about him). He'll see another year in Providence and hopefully see a few games in Boston during the year. In an ideal World, he plays 60 games in the AHL, carries the baby B's deep into the playoffs, wins the #1 job in next years training camp and is the #1 guy for the next 10 years.

What do I expect? During the regular season they lost Chara for a stretch, Alberts missed 50 games, Kobasew missed a ton of time, Bergeron missed 70+ games and Fernandez missed 70+ games, Sturm missed time, Savard missed a dozen games....it never ended but they still made the playoffs. This year they are deeper and a year older, which will help the kids.

They will push for the Northeast division title in my opinion. I don't think barring catastrophic injury, (Chara for anything longer then a few games)
    that a 6th place finish in the East is unrealistic. they are still a year away from pushing for the East.

Sorry, that was really long.

Pink_dove and FaninPatsyLand like this.
  12. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I wrote an entire article about my Bruins without mentioning P.J. Axelsson...LOL!

Add him in the mix for every line because the guy is just damn useful.

13. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    Excellent writeup, Unified.

There's been alot of talk surrounding this Tukka Rask kid... hopefully he lives up to the billing, because I agree with you, our goaltending isn't good enough to take us where we want to go.

I'm so sick of the Habs though, if they whip us again this year I might cry.

14. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    UT, regarding Nokie, he played some wing for the Isles. As a good defensive player who played LW at times we used him when we went to the Left Wing Lock on occassion. Then again under Nolan the defensive system wasnt really given a name it was just more or less chaos. So to answer your question he can certainly do an adequate job on the wing if hes needed there.

15. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Yah, he played some wing last year late and in the playoffs. He's another one of those useful players. He can play different spots, chip in some offense and is good in his own end of the rink.

16. Pink_dove

Pink_dove Burning coal Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Hot damn. I've been waiting for this classic Uni thread for a month. :hi5:

We beat the Sabres 7-4. Fans in TO are already planning the parade on Bloor and Queen Street. Dominic Moore looked like Jean Beliveau. And Jeff Finger was Bobby Orr. It's going to be a looong year, so we might as well cherish every win like it's the last one.

BTW Uni, shame to see the price of those tickets. Some of my fondest and most joyous early childhood memories are from watching the Canadiens at the Old Montreal Forum with my grandfather. In those days, front row seats didn't cost you an arm and a leg. :no:

17. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    me too. loooks like its going to be along year. I'm just rooting not to have the worst record in hockey. i'll be happy with that

18. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Screw that, Im rooting to have the worst record in hockey. Theres a stud C and a stud D coming out this year both of which look to be solid. We arent making the playoffs unless things break perfectly; which they wont cause our best player, Dipi, is already hurt. And we already have 3 #2's stockpiled and im sure we'll look to move vets at the deadline to get more picks. Im sick of making the playoffs as an 8 seed or just missing the playoffs. Build this back through the draft and next year we have a bumper crop of cap space with good FA's.

So we'll suck for one more year, something we've done well for the last 15 years, most of them anyway and finally build a team. Garth has the right idea since we cant get good FA's unless we overpay by 10 million....:yes:

19. PeaTearGriffin

PeaTearGriffin Season Ticket Holder

Dec 8, 2007
    I'm still mad about that trade...stupid JFJ

20. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Go Flyers!

21. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    Claude Lemiuex - that's right, all 43 years old of him - is contemplating a comeback.

RDS - Claude Lemieux tente un retour

It's in french, but here is a little translation:

You gotta love Pepe.

22. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I'm right with you. When I was very young (5 or 6) my old man had season tickets to the Canucks and the New Westminster Bruins. It was nothing to worry about because tickets were actually cheap.

I understand that demand fuels the market. The Canucks charge an arm and a leg but every ticket is sold and they have a season ticket waiting list of 9,000+ names. This is after they miss the playoffs and did little to improve the team in the offseason. It's a corporate shmooze fest, it has nothing to do with hockey.

23. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    By the way, I KNOW it's only preseason but seeing highlights of Patrice Bergeron from last night brought an ear to ear smile to my face.

He had a goal and 3 assists playing between Marco Sturm and Phil Kessel. That could be a VERY interesting line combination. They had 9 points combined.

24. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Well hopefully that's not the marketing campaign the Islanders are using this year :lol: I would be happy with second worst but if we get first the guy better be the next Gretzky or Potvin, Bossy or Trottier or Nystrom or etc

25. Pink_dove

Nov 30, 2007
    Fear not, the '09 draft is very strong at the top. The top 6 is the best I've seen in a long time. As the lead horse, John Tavares has been the talk of the land for years now. He broke Gretzky's single season record in the OHL by scoring 72 goals as a 16 year old with the Oshawa Generals. Because he set the bar so high early on, a lot thought he had a disappointing season last year. He doesn't have the fire, or skating ability I look for in a top prospect, but the pure goal scoring ability is undeniable. IMO he could just be a highly skilled player who burst onto the scene very early and drops from consensus number 1 draft pick to mid first rounder because of concerns about his game translating to the next level, like Angelo Esposito. Or he steps up his game at the World Juniors and cements his status as a number 1 pick.

I fell in love with Victor Hedman at the U20's in December. Haven't seen him play for MoDo, but it's Sweden's best development factory. Has produced the Sedin twins, Alfredsson, Forsberg, Naslund, Sundstrom, and many others. They'll pair him with Hans Jonsson, and let him learn the intricacies of the game. Just a tremendous physical specimen that reminds me of a young Chris Pronger in the way he looks so effortless in moving the puck out of his own end, for a man with such size. In his back end, his reach and physicality makes him a dominant force. And at 6'7 220 pounds, being an 18 years of age, he will only grow. He would be my number 1 pick as of today.

They had another player, Magnus Svensson-Paajarvi, who was the youngest player ever to play for the Swedish national junior team at the tournament at 16 years of age. He was flying all over the ice, and is listed as a top 5 prospect as well. Scouts are looking at potential far more than production, which is a dangerous game though. He needs to have a big tournament at the U20's.

I want to see more of Jared Cowen, Brayden Schenn and Matt Duchene at the World Juniors in December, and in the OHL and WHL before I form any opinion about them. They helped lead Canada's national men's summer U-18 team to a gold medal, and are considered big time prospects, but that's purely based on what I've read on paper. Lastly, don't sleep on Zach Kassian, or Jordan Schroeder as they could sneak into the top 6. I've witnessed some dazzling stuff from Schroeder, and some Lucic/Bertuzzi bone jarring hits, and skills from Kassian.

26. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Great post Pinky!

I LOVE Hedman. He's a horse and I'm totally on board with you, he's the #1 pick in the draft. I just think Tavares is overrated to be honest. Yes, he put up mind boggling numbers but so have a lot of guys in junior. I don't think he has the foot speed to be a dominant player in the NHL. I'd avoid him at all costs if I'm an NHL general manager.

27. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Man, awesome rundown for the prospects. Thanks alot for the info. Question, how are you seeing these guys? I cant find anything but NHL on my cable? I would love to see some college hockey let alone some international but its never on

28. Pink_dove

Nov 30, 2007
    No worries bro. Sopcast has most NHL games streamed each night, and many Euro league playoff games (SEL, Slovnaft, Super League, DEL, etc). I always find myself in Canada around X-Mas time, and at that time the World Juniors are broadcasted on TSN - the Canadian equivalent of ESPN. December 26 is known as Boxing day for most, I just know it as the start of the World Juniors. I also try to watch some Memorial Cup games to see some of the WHL teams, as they've been silently overtaking the OHL in terms of talent in the last few years. It also helps that the Maple Leafs have been so bad for the last 5 years. I've been less and less focused on them, and have dedicated the months of April to the NFL draft, and two weeks in December/January to the World Juniors.

29. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Tavares was the dude I was thinking of. I dont see his skills not translating at all. Hes still a baby. No different then Crosby and some of the others at the same age. If the Isles fnished last and had him and Okposo on that first line for the next 10-15 years Id be very happy.

Hes got a great shot, hes adequate defensively, great awareness.....yeah hes not a great skater but hes definitely not a bad one. Guys like Sakic and Crosby or even Doug Weight were never blazing fast and they have had or are having great careers and I dont think Tavares is any worse a skater....:wink2:

I would also say hedman has far more questions then Tavares since his resume isnt quite as established. He has good skills and should be a bruiser but I question if he will really be a star worthy of a top 3 pick.

30. Pink_dove

Nov 30, 2007
    Just don't see the extraordinary vision or the deceptive speed of a Burnaby Joe. Nor do I see a pure passer like Doug Weight, who could stickhandle in a phonebooth. As for Sidney Crosby, I think he's a pretty strong skater, but more importantly, he was a great skater at Rimouski. In Tavares's case, he's considered an average skater with Oshawa. How will that translate in the NHL ? And it's not only the wheels. As Uni said, I'm not sure he has the foot speed of a bonified number 1 draft pick. The short area burst that a Sid the Kid, Alexei Filatov or Robin Figren have. In truth, I see a lot of the same pure goal scoring ability, and hockey sense of a Luc Robitaille - which isn't shabby considering the number of goals Lucky Luc put up.

On the other hand, Victor Hedman reminds me of Chris Pronger. He was the second best defenseman behind Drew Doughty at the World Juniors and will only get faster, bigger and stronger. I can't wait to see what he does this year at the Worlds. His resume isn't that bad either, having made his debut on the Swedish National Team at the age of 17, and notching the most points scored by a 16 year old defenseman in SEL J20 history. :wink2:

31. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Eh I see enough speed to believe he will be an elite center. The point i was getting at is you dont need the breakaway speed of early Sergei fedorov. Additionally, you have to consider that skating is something you can work on and develop but the pure talent he has is rare. Even if he never becomes a great skater, he will still be a very good player.

That said I think as a former goalie, a GM like Snow may be more inclined to go with Hedman since a goalie truly knows the value of a great defenseman.

32. Pink_dove

Nov 30, 2007
    Sure, the breakaway speed isn't necessarily needed, but you do need above average foot speed to be a franchise player. And considering he doesn't have above average foot speed at the OHL level, how will he look in the NHL ? You can get away with being an average skater if you're a playmaker like Adam Oates or Mark Savard - and they weren't even taken first overall nor are they franchise players - but we know John Tavares isn't that type of player. He could turn out to be a Brett Hull, or a Mike Bossy, which is a lethal sniper.

My point is, even if he becomes that type of once in a decade sniper, I'll take a horse on the back end that logs 30 minutes of ice time, quarterbacks the PP, and shuts down the other team's best player every single time. Give me Scott Stevens, Chris Pronger, or Zdeno Chara over Luc Robitaille or Brett Hull any day.

On to your second point, he can work on his skating like a Joe Thornton did. Thornton wasn't the best skater with the Greyhounds, but could get away with it because of his size and skills. With the Bruins, he had to develop that part of his game, and he became a better skater. Often though, these kids have been attending skating schools since they were 8 years old, so seldom do you see improvement after the age of 18.

I do agree with you about Snow going for Hedman, and Fletcher for Tavares, because of the hometown connection Tavares has in Toronto, and Snow knowing the value of that All star defenseman.

33. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Lord have mercy on Tavares if he ends up in Toronto. If he doesn't turn into Mike Bossy as a rookie they will eat him alive there.

I think by the time the draft roles around it will be all about Hedman. The value of a 30 minute a night shutdown defenseman with offensive upside is just too good to pass on. I don't think it's because of Tavares' shortcomings (although the speed thing is a pretty big elephant in the room), I just think Hedman is one of those "once in a decade" type guys.

34. wpgfishfan

wpgfishfan Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    12th year in a row for no hockey here in Winnipeg:no::cry::angry::tantrum:

35. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    The Canucks named Roberto Luongo their captain today....LOL!

He won't be able to wear a "C" or argue with officials but he will be the "official" captain and handle the off ice captain stuff. Willie Mitchell will be the "on ice" captain. Ryan Kessler and Matty Ohlund also got "A's".

36. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    LOL @ Luongo being named captain...looking at their roster though the only other choice would have been one of the Sedin twins. Not much else there.

Isles already have injuries to Campoli and Andy Sutton....but dont worry, Thomas Pock will save us :(

37. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    The Rangers pull off the sweep in the Czech Republic. Let's Go Rangers!

38. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Tampa is awful. I don't care who they signed, you can't win in the NHL without a blue line.

Call me out of my mind but I think it is possible, just POSSIBLE, that the Penguins miss the playoffs.

39. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

i hope the penguins miss the playoffs. go flyers!

going deep this year again!

40. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Well, I'm home sick from work today so I'll take a few minutes to do a quick preview of the NHL for the 2008/09 season as I see it. Feel free to agree or disagree just make sure you comment...LOL!

Teams will be listed in order of finish in their respective divisions. A (@) denotes "division champion" and a (#) denotes "playoff team".

Eastern Conference​

Atlantic Division
    1.) (@) New York Rangers
    2.) (#) Philly Flyers
    3.) (#) New Jersey Devils
    4.) Pittsburgh Penguins
    5.) New York Islanders

Northeast Division
    1.) (@) Montreal Candiens
    2.) (#) Boston Bruins
    3.) (#) Buffalo Sabres
    4.) (#) Ottawa Senators
    5.) Toronto Maple Leafs

Southeast Division
    1.) (@) Washington Capitals
    2.) Carolina Hurricanes
    3.) Tampa Lightning
    4.) Florida Panthers
    5.) Atlanta Thrashers

Eastern MVP: Henrik Lunqvist, G, New York Rangers
    Eastern Best Forward: Alex Ovechkin, Washington Capitals
    Eastern Best D-man: Zdeno Chara, Boston Bruins
    Eastern Best Goaltender: Henrik Lunqvist, New York Rangers
    Eastern Rookie of the Year: Blake Wheeler, Boston Bruins

Summary: You are saying "the Penguins are not making the playoffs? You are on crack buddy". Well, they lost Malone, Roberts and Hossa up front and two of their best defensman are out for at least the first half of the season (Whitney and Gonchar). They will put up a fight at the end of the season but I just don't think they'll have enough at the end. The Southeast division is TERRIBLE. the Canes are ravaged by injuries already. I think their coach (Peter Laviolette) could get fired before Christmas. The Thrashers are the worst team in hockey. I think the Northeast one of the best divisions in the NHL. Personally, I think you can put the Bruins, Sens and Sabres in any order because they all have their selective weaknesses.

Eastern Conference Champions: Montreal Canadiens (it REALLY hurts to say that)

Western Conference​

Central Division
    1.) (@) Detroit Red Wings
    2.) (#) Chicago Blackhawks
    3.) St. Louis Blues
    4.) Columbus Blue Jackets
    5.) Nashville Preds

Northwest Division
    1.) (@) Calgary Flames
    2.) (#) Edmonton Oilers
    3.) (#) Vancouver Canucks
    4.) Colorado Avs
    5.) Minny Wild

Pacific Division
    1.) (@) Anaheim Ducks
    2.) (#) San Jose Sharks
    3.) (#) Dallas Stars
    4.) Pheonix Coyotes
    5.) L.A. Kings

Western MVP: Jarome Iginla, Calgary Flames
    Western Best Forward: Jarome Iginla, Calgary Flames
    Western Best D-man: Nik Lidstrom, Detroit Red Wings
    Western Best Goaltender: Roberto Luongo, Vancouver Canucks
    Western Rookie of the Year: Kyle Turris, Coyotes

Summary: The West is LOADED again. You could argue that the leagues four best teams (Sharks, Ducks, Wings and Stars) live in the West. The Wings will roll through their division again with the young and improving 'Hawks making hockey relevant in the Windy city again. That said about the Blackhawks, look for Denis Savard to get fired if they get off to even a mediocre star, Joel Quenville is waiting in the background there. The Northwest might be the deepest division. Calgary will win the grind being pushed by a young Oiler team and a grittier Canucks team. The Pacific is the BEST division in the league. The Ducks, Stars and Sharks all think they have a chance to win the Cup.

Western Conference Champion: Detroit Red Wings

Awards:
    Hart (MVP) - Jarome Iginla, Calgary
    Vezina (Best Goaltender) - Roberto Luongo, Vancouver
    Norris (Best D-man) - Zdeno Chara, Boston
    Calder (Rookie of the Year) - Kyle Turris, Pheonix
    Jack Adams (Coach of the Year) - Craig McTavish, Edmonton

Stanley Cup Champions: Detroit Red Wings

Flame away!!!!!!!