1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***The Official NHL Thread Version 3.0***

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by unifiedtheory, Mar 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    As the name suggests this is the third "Official NHL Thread" I've started.

2 weeks until the playoffs....let the fun ensue (Gosh I hope the Bruins sneak in there).

Pagan and Finrunner like this.
  2. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    Go Pens!!

3. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestion for the whole "Other Sports" section, UT. Glad the NHL thread is up and running again. Thanks for that, too.

Unfortunately, my Stars are fading at the end. While I still think the trade for Richards will work out in the long run, in the short run, it seems like the Stars have lost some of their chemistry. Really, though, they've been month on/month off - so hopefully, they can hold out a little longer - get 2-points a few times and get back in the top four for home ice. And then, April can be an on-month!

Another first round knockout (or worse), and their support in Dallas is gonna fade big time. However, I think overall, the team has overachieved this year compared to some of the expectations at the beginning. Just don't like to see the same ol' same ol' again.

4. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Go Blackhawks

5. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Glen Murray bumped a slump, and David Krejci is starting to come into his own in an *** kicking of the Leafs...huge win.

I wish Marc Savard would wake the hell up though.

6. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Pens put another hurtin' on the Devils last night. 4 points ahead of them in the Atlantic, and only one point behind Montreal for the #1 seed in the East.

To the rest of the NHL....notice has been served by Crosby, Malkin, Hossa, Fleury, Gonchar, Malone, Sykora, Kennedy, Dupuis, and Letang....

[​IMG]

7. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    If their goaltending holds up they will do damage in the East without doubt.

Pagan likes this.
  8. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Yea...that's what's been surprising me this year. Between Fleury and Conklin they've had the best goaltending I've seen on a Pens team since Barrasso.

9. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Bye bye Devils!

Pens up by 6 points now. :D

10. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    ...and the Bruins officially eliminated the LEafs from the playoffs tonight.

11. Finrunner

Dec 11, 2007
    Ugggh! The Stars choked off yet another one last night. Ahead (again!) going into the 3rd, and they lost in OT. Thornton is now officially a n-n-n-nemesissssssssss. Small consolation, but we did get a point. In our freefall, that is important. But the Stars have got to get out of this malaise.

12. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Bump.

The Bruins are playing well again...the team is MADDENING and the injuries have been killer all year. chuck Kobasew is out 4 weeks now.

BTW for anyone interested. I picked up an RBK Bruins authentic on eBay about 3 weeks ago. Factory sealed, shipped to me in less then a week for $186.00 American. That's $70.00 off for my American friends and over $100.00 off for Canadian's. Great eBay seller, a no worries purchase. I'm going to buy the white "road" sweater in a few weeks. If anyone wants an NHL jersey and wants to save money PM me and I'll send you a link to the guys store, he has everything.

13. Finrunner

Dec 11, 2007
    Stars took it on the chin to the Ducks in a shootout, but they got the point that put them into the playoffs. A Stars/Ducks match-up in the first round of the playoffs is looking likely. Actually, while the Duks are pretty good, the Stars have been pretty credible against them this year. It's not as bad a match-up for us as say... the Red Wings.

Are you guys fans of the shoot-out? I know it's exciting and all, but it seems like a lousy way to end a hockey game to me.

14. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Sometimes you wonder about how coaches think.

My Pens play the Rangers yesterday, and throughout the entire game the Rangers let the Pens fly through neutral ice without any pressure.

Man, you can't let a team as skilled and as fast as the Penguins just glide into your end without doing any hitting.

15. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Flyers have been playing really well lately. Look out Eastern Conference! :)

16. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Pens are gunna spank ya in the home & home coming up. :tongue:

17. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    The problem is the Rangers have a horrible group of defenseman. There are not many teams that can slow the Pens down through the neutral zone anyway. The only way to stop them is to have a great checking line to match up and have a very good top 3 on defense that can pound the Pens skilled forwards into the glass when they get it in your zone...that and score with them and pressure their defense.

18. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Exactly...and no one's been able to do that with any consistency this year.

Even though they lost last night, AWESOME game with the Rangers! Fleury and Lundqvist were on FIRE last night.

Seems like playoff hockey has started a week early. :D

19. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Give it up for the Atlantic Division Champs....:D

20. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    No thanks,consider it a loan.No matter how bad my Devils are playing.Don't forget about them.
    But I will show you the respect if they win it all......:wink2:

21. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    LOL...typical Devs fan. :tongue: :wink2:

22. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    Go Pens!!

23. 54Fins

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    :yes: :lol:

24. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Way to show your class last night Leaf fans.
    Pretty disgraceful.

25. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    What happened?

26. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    GO

FLYERS

27. 54Fins

Nov 29, 2007
    over there

:jt0323:........................:wink2:

28. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Go check out the Mark Bell hit on Daniel Alfredsson on youtube. The hit itself wasn't that bad, it was a shot to the head that was maybe a touch late.
    But it was the fans who were cheering LOUDLY as Alfredsson was down on the ice and bleeding and looked hurt pretty bad.
    Then when he finally got up and skated off under his own power, the fans booed.

Just ignorant Torontonians being themselves.

29. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    It's gunna be fun knocking you guys out of the playoffs on Sunday. :yes:

Wow...that's messed up. :no:

30. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    HA!

you got us the other night, but we'll get you Sunday!

31. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Gods I love hockey! :D :lol:

32. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    The Bruins made the playoffs! I'm really happy.

Bergeron MIGHT be back for game one as well as Savard.

33. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Bruins lose all 8 to the Habs in 07/08 and 12 straight in total and..............

.........they play each other in the 1st round. BRING IT!

34. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rangers vs. Devils

That will be a great series.

35. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    East

Habs vs. My Team: Habs in 5 but I REALLY hope I'm wrong. Tim Thomas is capable of stealing a game or two but he's also capable of letting in 10. Too many injuries for my Bruins but they have a lot of good youngsters with more on the way.

Penguins vs. Sens: Pens in 5. The Sens are a wreck and injured and the Pens are rolling.

Caps vs. Flyers: Caps in 7. The Caps feel like an early "destiny" pick. They are RED HOT and Ovechkin wants to make a statement in his first playoff appearance.

Rangers vs. Devils: Devils in 7. If the Bruins were not in this would be the series I watch beginning to end. It will be physical and ugly at times.

West

Wings vs. Preds: Wings in 5. The Preds will be over matched.

Sharks vs. Flames: Sharks in 5. The Sharks have been the hottest team in the league over the last 20 games and the Flames have a habit of looking great or looking really bad.

Wild vs. Avs: Avs in 7. If Jose Theodore holds up the Avs can go a long way, they can score with anyone.

Ducks vs. Stars: Ducks in 5. Marty Turco has never been a good playoff goaltender, it will continue this year IMO.

36. 54Fins

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Rangers vs. Devils: Devils in 7. If the Bruins were not in this would be the series I watch beginning to end. It will be physical and ugly at times.

The physical part I agree with,but if the Devils can't score it will be uglier(and over) before we know it.This matchup,IMO is not what the Devils need right now.

37. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Here are my predictions:

East
    Montreal vs. Boston: I'd love to see the Bruins pull the upset, but the Habs OWN the Bruins. And I don't trust Tim Thomas. Canadiens in 5.

Pittsburgh vs. Ottawa: I won't make a prediction in this series because my team (the Sens) are involved. And I know I can't be rational about it, so I won't even try......Sens in 7

New Jersey vs. NY Rangers: This is the worst possible first round matchup for the Devils IMO. Lundqvist is the one goalie in the East you can argue rivals Brodeur. The torch gets passed. Rangers in 6

Washington vs. Philadelphia: The Flyers will give the Caps some troubles, but how can you go against Ovechkin and the Caps right now? Capitals in 6

West
    Detroit vs. Nashville: The Predators will be over-matched. They blew their wad just trying to get into the postseason. Red Wings in 5

San Jose vs. Calgary: The Flames will hang around and make things tough, because that's what they do. But the Sharks are rolling. This is the year Thornton finally has a big playoff. Sharks in 6

Minnesota vs. Colorado: The Avs will be a popular upset pick because of the trade deadline moves and because of their good play of late. But I like Minny here. I think goaltending will be the difference in a very close series. Wild in 7

Anaheim vs. Dallas: By far the toughest series to pick IMO. If you are betting man, bet the UNDERS. You're going to see a bunch of 1-0 and 2-1 games. The Ducks have had a hard times scoring goals all season. My gut is telling me it will cost them here. Or it could be indigestion. Stars in 7

38. Pink_dove

Pink_dove Burning coal Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Congrats bro. I was thinking of you upon seeing the Bruins clinch it. :up:

Habs in 6, Pens in 5, Devils in 7, Flyers in 6.
    Red Wings in 5, Sharks in 6, Avs in 5, Ducks in 5.

39. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Thank you sir. It's been awhile since I've had something to really care about in April.

I really like this Bruins team. They work their asses off for anything they can get and they have youngsters up and down the line up that are contributing at a young age. It pisses me off when I think about the "Dave Lewis lost year". All these kids would have been playing last year.

I see nothing but good coming in the future. David Krejci looks like the real deal, Tuukka could be a future #1, Vlad Sobotka is seeing a lot of ice, Matt Lashoff will be up next year, Carl Söderberg had a good year in the S.E.L and they already have a lot of young players (Bergy, Nokie, Wideman, Kobasew, Lucic) playing big minutes now.

They will likely lose in the 1st round but I think they will physically beat up the Habs and give them all they can handle. With Savvy and Bergy (maybe) coming back and they get some goaltending............

...ah, it will never happen, but I can hope...LOL!

40. Pink_dove

Pink_dove Burning coal Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    You have a chance if Mike Komisarek, the best kept secret in the NHL, isn't healthy enough to be Mike Komisarek. He leads the league in blocked shots, bodychecks, kills penalties, lets all-star Andrei Markov be who he is, and is very reliable in his own end. I have a hard time believing the Habs will be the same team without him. And no-one is talking about Carey Price, lest we forget, as good as he's looked, he's only 20. Who knows how he'll react to the bright lights ? Still, the Habs PP, an essential ingredient, is dynamite, and I think they've got some wily veterans that should push them to the next round.

The draft lottery was yesterday. My LEAFS are drafting 7th this year. I've been in love with Luke Schenn since seeing him at the Juniors, and he should be available in that range, although it's still a wee bit early. He's the real deal.