1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***The Official NHL Thread Version 3.0***

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by unifiedtheory, Mar 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    yes, and because they play smart hockey, and don't take stupid penalties when they dont have to :up:

I dont like what happened with Roberts/Franzen. do I think franzen tried to sell it a bit... for sure, probably a bit. However, shots to the head, especially cheapshots like that, are completely unnecessary. Same with in football when guys give shots to the head to the QB... its not something looked highly upon.

2. Pink_dove

Pink_dove Burning coal Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    I think it was nothing. That's a love tap from Roberts. And Franzen crumbles like a cookie.

That being said, the Wings played it just like they should have. You don't want to start being stupid and running around, because you're in complete control. Don't react, don't shudder, don't worry about any old school tricks. Just play, and you'll end up with Stanley.

3. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Man...what a great game that was. That's more like the series everyone thought it was going to be.

Some life left in the Pens now. They win Saturday and it's a whole new series.

4. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    the pens sure brought their A game tonight. The wings seemed really flat though, their passing wasnt crisp, they seemed... lazy at times. Kudos to the pens though. However, i think theyre lucky Detroit's powerplay is awful right now, if they were scoring powerplay goals (i know that got one tonight, but what are they, like 2 for 20 something in the series?) I think this game may have had a different outcome. oh well, at least no crap got in the way of this game, it was just good fast paced hockey. on to game 4

5. wpgfishfan

wpgfishfan Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    From about 8 minutes into the 3rd to about 6 minutes left in the 3rd was maybe the best HOCKEY in the playoffs.

Great saves
    Great hits

If only the whole series was like this

I do think Pitt was a bit fortunate to hang on. Detroit brought everything in the 3rd

No if only Malkin can get it going

6. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    You can say the same both ways bro...Pens are only like 1 of 11 or something like that.

7. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    didn't call you ******ed, i called the idea of franzen not getting touched ******ed... but this is a dumb argument, your like one of those guys who watches a boxing knockout, then watches the slowmotion replay and says "the guy barely got hit, what a *****, the fight was rigged"... we'll leave it at he got pushed in the face by a fist, haha... oh and the concussion makes him more susceptible to injury from anything, yes a good solid check into the glass could **** him up too... what in any way shape or form does that have to do with him getting a cheap shot punch in the face?

anyway last night was a good game, wings def were flat early... and tried to pick it up too late... their passing was very lax it seemed and they played lazy... the 3rd period was exciting as **** though.. thats what NBC is hoping for

8. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Well, I'm back to agreeing with you...

BTW, the name in bold...what a fracking MACHINE he was.

9. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    no kidding! Konstantinov was an outstanding player. Such a shame what happened to him...

10. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Bro...pretty much everyone I know who watched the game said the same thing, it was a push. The only reason you're calling it a cheap shot is because it was against a guy on your team. And the slow mo had nothing to do with it. The full speed replay shows the same thing.

No, it's not a dumb argument. If I'm the guy watching the fight, you're the guy watching the foottball game who calls for interference every time a CB breathes within 10 feet of a receiver.

And what getting checked has to do with anything is that is he's THAT susceptible to injury, then he SHOULDN'T be on the ice, which is what I was saying in the first place.

Really? I watched the same game and saw the Wings come out hitting the Pens pretty hard and fast. Give credit where credit is due. Pens outplayed them last night.

Don't be a Jet fan and start saying that they beat themselves.

11. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    3 down... 1 more to go!!!

Come on Wings, win it at home boys!!!!!

:up:

12. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Great game...Wings got the lucky bounce on HUdler's goal and the Pens couldn't get a break.

Malkin just hasn't been himself...whiffing on one-timers, missing passes. DOn't know what's wrong with the boy.

Kudos to the Wings...looks like it's their series.

13. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    It indeed was a great game. Zetterbergs performance on that 5 on 3 was great too.

Malkin has been a real shock to me. I can't believe it, he looks so lost out there. It doesnt make much sense to me how a guy with that much talent, can be so... useless out there in the most important series of his career to date. It's mind boggling.

14. arsenal

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    we want the cup, we want the cup, we want the cup....

lets win it on home ice so the fans can enjoy!

15. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    ohhh wouldn't that be sweet!!! I want nothing more than for Detroit to win it at home tonight instead of on the road, or at home in game 7. TONIGHT HAS TO BE THE NIGHT!

GO Wings!!!! :up:

16. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    unbelievable... the wings totally dominate the 2nd half of the game, come back from being down 2 goals... and pitt scores with like... 35 seconds left... BS i tell you... haha now i need another new remote control for my tv... i need to stop throwing things... :lol:

17. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    That goaltender interference call on Cleary that just happened might be the worst penalty I've seen called in years.

brandon27 likes this.
  18. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    not to mention the one on zetterberg in the first OT

an absdolute joke.. O'halloran should NOT be an NHL official...

if the pens win this game on these PP's... the nhl should have alot of explaining to do

19. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    They didn't, and you guys got payback on that pitty-pat hook called on Sykora. ;)

No matter what the outcome, we should all feel privileged to have been able to watch a game this good.

This is how hockey is supposed to be played.

I think Fleury has pretty much erased all doubts as to his being a playoff caliber goalie.

20. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I can't really disagree with any of your statements bro. However, im still waiting for the make up call on the Zetterberg "goaltender interference" call though. :yes:

Im getting tired though, i wish Detroit would score, so i can watch a bit of the party and go to bed. I have to be up at 7am tomorrow... i cant take much more of this! neither can my blood pressure!! :lol:

21. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    great game so far

22. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Fleury is standing on his fracking head, he's been STELLAR....

...he's also earning himself a massive payday.

Double minor to Hudler, big moment here.

23. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    ...game 6 here we come.

24. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    what a pathetic ending to a great game...

25. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Omg that was freaking awesome! I knew all Pitt needed was a power play in the 3rd to win!

26. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I wouldn't exactly call that awesome... i hate powerplay goals in OT... mind you it was a high stick... i just think it ruined what was a great game... just a bad way to end it i feel. I woudlnt have minded if detroit scored on one... but after the thrill of winning the cup again wore off, id feel a bit crappy about it still. a good game like that, deserves a good finish... I personally dont think this was one tonight. Especially when they were basically dominated throughout OT other than a few odd minutes where pittsburgh came to life. Fleury was incredible though... cant deny that. I just really wish it didnt finish on a special teams play...

on to game 6 i guess. I think Pittsburgh has a great chance of taking the series now too, that place will be jacked... the wings will probably feel the effects of loosing this one... I see a game 7... although id love it if there wasnt one :lol:

anyways, i have to work in 6.5 hours... damn hockey!!

27. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    I think the ending was just fine. :D

28. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    well of course you would. :lol:

Like i said, I cant argue with the penalty, I can't say that fleury was good, I just dont think pittsburgh deserved to win the game. They were completely outplayed from basically the halfway point of the 2nd period on... I just find it a major letdown for a game to go into 3 OT's, and be won on a powerplay. Sure it bothers me even more because im a Wings fan, but It just feels like a major letdown to what could have been a great finish. Had they scored on a 5 on 5, I'd be like oh well, great game. Oh well, what can you do... I'll hate myself all day though for staying up to watch it, i sure am whipped this morning! :lol:

Like i said though, i see it going 7 games now... Which i really dont like..

29. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Don't you mean you can't say Fleury wasn't good? ;)

Bro...I don't know what game you were watching, but the second and third OTs were pretty even. Both teams were flying up and down the ice equally. The Wings definitely dominated the third period and I'll give them the first OT, but after that it was pretty even.

As for whipped...I'm in the same boat bro. And add to that I have rehearsal tonight, and then at about 11:00 pm I have to drive home from rehearsal....70 miles. Ugh.

And Ryan Malone is one TOUGH SOB man. :punk:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  30. arsenal

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    wow Fleury was godlike in the overtimes... jesus christ all props go out to him today and the rest of the pittsburgh team should be buying him new cars or something...

the wings absolutely and positively dominated in that 3rd period and it was such a high as they took the lead, that goal that made it 3-2 and the reaction by the crowd seriously had me doing backflips... so intense, then how we let it slip away with 30 seconds left, UGH... i remember right before that moment Zetterburg had the puck at center ice with the Pens net empty and should have just shot it down right away, instead he got tangled up and lost the puck in the neutral zone giving pitt one last shot... son of a *****...

woulda been a great way to win the cup with an overtime winner for the Redwings, i was hoping for an Yzerman vs the Blues game seven-esque shot that would forever go down in Wing/NHL lure... would have been great for the hometown fans...

oh well, crappy end to a great and exciting game... now we'll have to win it in Pittsburgh, oh well :D

31. arsenal

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    and one more point... lol@the goaltender interference calls in OT... wtf were those about? since when can you not crash the net to get a shot off?

32. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Don't count your chickens there brah! :tongue:

Yea...those were questionable. Glad they didn't really make a difference in the outcome. The only thing I could say - and that's even stretching it - was that on the second one maybe they called it because the puck ended up in front of the net and had there been a Wing there to bang it home Fleury was blocked from being able to play the puck.

Other than that, I have no idea why it was called.

33. arsenal

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    yeah seemed too ticky tack for overtime... just like that hooking call they called on you guys... the high stick had to be called unfortunately... just a careless mistake by hudler not controlling his stick... god dammit

34. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    yes, bad choice of my words on fleury. im tired! haha

I dont know about pretty even, the wings seemed to be really controlling the play in all the OT's, pittsburgh would get some chances. It was probably a bit more even than i made it sound, but the advantage for sure i'd give to the wings. Domination... was probably a bad choice of words, you're right.

As for being whipped... man oh man... im dying at work here. Luckily the phones aren't ringing and none of my clients want to see me today, because i sure dont want to see them! Thankfully for me, i've "scheduled" an "appointment" this afternoon so i can go home and nap! haha

Ryan Malone... yes. very impressive effort by him last night. Again, can't argue there. Now... off to the ladies lounge... Hopefully theres something there to pick me up here to finish off my lunch break and give me some motivation for the rest of the day!! :lol:

35. Pink_dove

Pink_dove Burning coal Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    I was rooting for Detroit until their fans started raising their arms in celebration, and standing up before the game was over. Talk about jinxing yourselves. Good for Talbot to get the equalizer, and better for Sykora to get the OT winner.

36. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    Indeed

37. arsenal

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    lol@are they supposed to be sitting on their hands at the most exciting point of the game (under 2 minutes left) with their team up by 1 where if they hold on they win the cup?? hahah

38. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    I'm saying bro...can't blame them for that!

That being said...even a Wings fan has to think this one is funny. :tongue: :lol:

[​IMG]

39. wpgfishfan

wpgfishfan Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Malkin still has to turn it up.

Everytime Pitt takes a lead it's good hockey so hopefully they take the lead again

40. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Not for anything...if Malkin wakes up from his friggin' coma I think the Pens take it in 7.