1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Tannehill Sucks/Doesn't Suck Thread

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin D, Sep 6, 2015.

1. cdnfinfan

cdnfinfan New Member

Oct 6, 2010
    I hope everyone is here is enjoying the early games.
    I just watched Tom Brady almost get gronk killed.
    qbs making bad passes all over the place, so many interceptions and even more NEAR interceptions.

not to mention Washington looking good.

maybe tannehill isn't that bad after all huh?

Undisputed likes this.
  2. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Not that anyone believed he'd continue his week 1 pace, but Mariota has come back down to Mother Earth...and Tyrod Taylor.

Undisputed likes this.
  3. cdnfinfan

cdnfinfan New Member

Oct 6, 2010
    And Winston is having a good game

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  4. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Brady's playing relatively well.. did you see that high arching pass down the sideline where the receiver could adjust pace and let it hit him in stride? Those are the type of "deep balls" I want Tannehill to improve on.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  5. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Ya @ Washington...in 18 carries, they're putting up 7.2 YPC rushing against a good Rams defense...they kept Seattle to 3.9 last week. Cousins is playing well too.

6. cdnfinfan

cdnfinfan New Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Yup, but that's kinda my point. You can make bad throw but still play well.

a lot of ppl in here can't separate the two.

brady has made some bad decisions to.

7. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    It constantly amazes me how year after year no defense seems to be able to consistently stop NE's dink and dunk. That thing's been around so long you gotta think defenses can stop it by now. Rex better do something or his supposed "defensive genius" reputation's going to take a hit with me.

8. cdnfinfan

cdnfinfan New Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Defenders are worried about giving up the big play. But you'd think a defense like uffaos would be able to mitigate it....or....

9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    its because of how good brady is...he's very accurate on those routes allowing the receiver to not break any form or stride when catching..pretty indefensible stuff.

10. yoge

yoge New Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Thill looks indecisive. Some of the sacks/fumbles he could avoid by running right up that big gap of a hole that is right in front of him.

11. Undisputed

Undisputed Banned

Mar 2, 2015
    Derp.

12. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    He does not suck today.

Undisputed likes this.
  13. cdnfinfan

cdnfinfan New Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Can't believe how wrong you are right now

hes played great

Undisputed likes this.
  14. Malique44

Malique44 Active Member

Sep 13, 2015
    This team has Philbin pile of steaming **** right now!

15. Malique44

Malique44 Active Member

Sep 13, 2015
    We are going to lose this game....

16. Malique44

Malique44 Active Member

Sep 13, 2015
    You idiots! Block for once! Fire Philbin please!

17. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Yeah, also seeing Johnny J*rkoff Manziel make that sweet deep ball, but I'm not going to bash Tanne. The firs few series I was worried, but he got it together and had a solid game.

18. Undisputed

Undisputed Banned

Mar 2, 2015
    359 Yards 2 TDs, no turnovers. DOES NOT F***ING SUCK.

cdnfinfan likes this.
  19. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    this game is a hard one to evaluate but I saw the same things I always see, which is lack of touch on throws, subpar movement in the pocket, lack of situational awareness, and no ability to run on his own accord.

20. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    I thought Tanne played one of his better games, the only reason we were in this game was because of Tanne, half the WRs weren't working, no run game an not much help from the D but we were in the game until the end because of him.

He wasn't perfect though, the downfield issue remains, he's off badly at times, pocket awareness and 4th quarter performance are still lacking, but he was very good most of the day, without much help, glimpsing the franchise label, but still is short of it.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  21. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Ryan gets a 'B' from me this week, he threw into tight windows with confidence and for the most part was quite accurate. I still need to see some better overall pocket prescence and awareness. I saw open guys a couple times and Ryan ignored them. Its gonna happen, but he played a good game at the end if the day.

22. Phins Up Wins Up

Phins Up Wins Up Banned

Nov 27, 2014
    I think overall he played good but again he missed some deep throws he should have had and if he makes those throws maybe the team wins. Especially that one to Jordan Cameron. With how bad the run game, offensive line, and defense are its foolish to point the finger at Tannehill. This run game really is bad though. Can't even get 2 yards a carry against the freaking Jags. Gonna be a long season watching this run game and defense.

23. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I don't think he was the reason we lost but at the same time, he missed several opportunities to put this team on his shoulders and lead this team to victory. Maybe he's just never going to be an Andrew Luck or Aaron Rodgers type of player who can will their team to victory. There's nothing wrong with that, we just know that we're going to have to build a much better team around him.

24. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Doesn't Ryan need to see them in order to ignore them? :confused:

25. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Moved this post around a bit from thread to thread, but forgot about the official Tannehill thread. Here goes:

Ryan Tannehill had a heck of a game yesterday, IMO, and I think this is a good sign of things to come. He did exactly what many of us wanted him to do, throw the ball downfield more often and he was very accurate at it. He showed pretty good pocket awareness and mobility throughout the game. The lack of a run game is really hindering this offense yet he still managed to keep the game close, and if not for a missed FG, we might have pulled out a win.

That being said, he showed poor situational awareness a few times yesterday. He let the clock wind down for a delay of game penalty near the red zone. Backed up in his own endzone he didn't show much of a sense of urgency to get the ball out of his hands. With 40 seconds left to end the game and only needing a FG to bring it to OT, it felt like he just wanted to get the game over with. He had open receivers near the sidelines (Juice, of all people). He had plenty of time to dink and dunk at least to the 40 yard line and try a FG, but it seemed like he wanted to "go big or go home". Didn't really get that.

I think these things will get better with more experience, but they are things to watch out for in the remainder of his career. I feel like he sort of caves under pressure. When games (and the season) is on the line it feels like he gets a little lost and tunnel-visioned. This is evidenced by his poor stats in the beginning (and end) of seasons, it's like he gets jittery when all eyes are on him and things are expected of him. He needs to show he is getting better at playing under pressure, because when we do start making the playoffs these sorts of situations are more frequent. Anyone else get this same vibe from him?

resnor likes this.
  26. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Isnt that an awareness issue? Even on the TD to Williams, he was open across the middle with space. Ryan didnt recognize that and luckily made a fantastic play to ellude pressure and got him the ball.

He had a good game, the loss had very little to do with him, but i do wonder how well he see's the field even in the rare occasion he has time to throw, i think he struggles anticipating.

Finster likes this.
  27. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    You can attribute it to awareness sure, but you can't say he ignored it if he didn't see it. It'd be that he missed it, and that he fails to see things he should in your opinion.

Also, you say he missed Williams across the middle, but without looking at what Ryan saw, how do you know there was a passing lane or that he could tell he was open?

28. cdnfinfan

cdnfinfan New Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Tannehill played a great game yesterday. did he make mistakes? yup those happen.

But I also watched Brady make bad throws and mistakes yesterday to. Saw Rodgers make a bunch of mistakes too.

delay of games, bad throws. This isn't exclusive to Tannehill.

When will you gusy realize that NO ONE is perfect. they will all make bad decisions, make bad throws and just make mistakes.
    its LIMITING those mistakes is what the difference between a great or good QB.

Right now Tannehill isn't a great QB. BUT he is showing potential.

Not turning the ball over, making good throws on third down(how many EASY first down drops yesterday? at least 2-3)
    showed good pocket awareness getting out of the pocket throwing on the run.

All great things.

Anyone that saw something different needs to be checked.

resnor likes this.
  29. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Tanne is a mid level QB who cannot put the team on his back and win a game. He doesn't have the killer drive that gets it done when it matters. Stats are great, but when you need him to take over, he doesn't have it. Not yet at least.

30. cdnfinfan

cdnfinfan New Member

Oct 6, 2010

Geez, another one that only watches boxscores and not the games.

31. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Agreed with everything. His ceiling, believe it or not, is still way higher than what we have seen so far. I think Tannehill is showing signs of being an elite QB in the not-too-distant future. I think his biggest issues will even out with more experience.

resnor likes this.
  32. cdnfinfan

cdnfinfan New Member

Oct 6, 2010
    yup.
    IMO his biggest issue isn't even on HIM. his biggest Issue is the fact that this team is just so poorly coached that we can take advantage of the talent we do have.

If he played the exact same way week in and week out but we won he would be considered a top 5 qb in the league

33. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    LOL, just holy freakin LOL.

gunn34 likes this.
  34. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Yeah, the coaching seems to be a huge problem.

35. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I really think many here, and in the other Tannehill thread, really underestimate the importance of an offensive line, for an offense. You can't run without one. You can't pass without one. There's numerous reasons for each point, but without one, nothing works. That's where we are right now. We can't run well, because we cant run block well. That leads to us being pass heavy. Having no running game, doesn't help open up the passing game, but we're forced to pass. So, now here we are, being forced into passing, which plays into the D's hands, because they know we can't go deep, not because we don't have talented enough QB, or WR's, but because we don't have an OL that can provide good enough protection for the QB.

I suspect a lot of the plays Tannehill is leaving on the field to "open" receivers downfield are a direct result of him constantly having to take his eyes off his options downfield as he checks on the protection he's getting since he knows it's not going to be good enough with this OL.

This isn't making excuses for one thing or another, it's just a simple fact really. You just aren't going to have an effective offense, with a bad OL. Too much hinges on the success of the OL, which is the unit we chose to basically ignore in the offseason, even though we knew it would be a weak spot yet again.

407PhinFan likes this.
  36. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Ignored when they gave Mike Pouncey that big contract?

37. cdnfinfan

cdnfinfan New Member

Oct 6, 2010
    agreed, and it doesn't halep that the Line has been getting so many penalties.
    SO not only are they providing terrible protection, but they are getting penalties making us go even longer on downs making Tannehill hold it even longer.

The line is just an overall negative right ow.

Atleast if they provided the same limited protection without the penalties we could somewhat survive.

38. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    Yea, we had a bad Oline last year too, not an excuse that's different from last year.

39. 407PhinFan

407PhinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Pouncey has been the lone bright spot on our OFFENSIVE line this year. The o stands for how offensive it is to us as fans.

40. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I feel like if Tannehill played with a broken right hand, you'd say that was "making excuses." The oline is terrible, and directly affects both the passing game and the run game.

We need to get Tannehill that magic bag of plays.

Fin D likes this.