1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official What was the last movie you saw??

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by vmarcilfan75, Apr 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. ToddPhin

ToddPhin RIP Phinsational Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Then please, almighty genius, why don't you enlighten us as to what the best way is to prove how good a movie is or isn't within its own genre?

2. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    For its particular genre and target audience, Fifty Shades Darker was clearly a good book, not great but good, based on its reviews. HOWEVER, we're talking about the MOVIE version of it, which generated a ton of revenue despite being a terrible flick. This is what your McDonald's analogy applies to, and I think you realized you lost that battle and quickly moved on, hence your moving of the goalposts.

3. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Wait, so what criteria are you using to determine what a great movie is when suggesting that this crop of flicks are better than everything else?

4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Nope.

Those are based on IMDb ratings. Your chosen method of greatness.

5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    I lost nothing.

I've literally proven my point in every way meaningful.

I've shown you that crowd reviews wether through voting with wallets or online reviews tells us nothing about the objective greatness of anything from movies to books to burgers.

I throughly and completely annihilated your absurd premise.

Walk away.

6. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Rosen Staff Member Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I think that a point that's being lost is that no movie is going to be liked by everyone, and no one is going to like every movie. I enjoy a lot of different kinds of movies, among them the biggest special effects laden ones. But many others also. However, nearly every movie that I enjoy is driven by its plot, by the story that it tells, by its point. Movies that focus primarily on the characters, their emotions, their feelings.....if that's the meat and potatoes of it, then its not for me. It feels empty.

I want to relate and attach myself to characters on a TV show. One that I'll watch for 5-7 seasons, and get to know who these people are and what drives them. That can be very rewarding, when its well written and something happens to one particular person that's signifigant and special. I like that.

But a movie is very different. Even one in a long series, where I've seen this character multiple times before. Characters are tools, and their emotions and experiences are there to drive the story and make it meaningful and powerful, or not. Not everyone feels that way of course, but if I sit through a 90-120 minute movie, and there's no resolution as to the events that were going on, and we're just shown how it effected this one man or woman, and their reactions to it.....I want to boo. It sucks. As I said before, to me its an empty feeling, and makes me feel like I've wasted my time and energy.

7. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    No, I'm asking you directly- what criteria do you YOURSELF use to determine what a great movie is when suggesting that this crop of flicks are better than everything else?

Back to the goalpost moving. At no point did I ever make the argument that Land of the Brave was better than X, Y, Z movie or suggested that it should be regarded as better than other great movies b/c of its high rating. This has NOTHING to do with other movies. It is only about Land of the Brave and whether or not it, itself, is a good movie. The argument you're making now is just retarded.

8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    OMG this is pathetic, just stop, I'm literally embarrassed for you now.

If a movie's greatness is measured by IMDb ratings as you, Todd, put forth, then the higher the rating the better the movie, else your whole point is BS.

The choice is yours, either the IMDb rating matters or it doesn't.

Stop trying to worm your way out of the hole you dug and choose.

9. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    [​IMG]

10. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Yes, the higher the rating, the better the movie is in its particular genre and target audience.

Higher the rating = better the movie. However, it does not mean that it necessarily has to be better than other highly ranked movies, or better than them in order to be considered good. You're the one who brought that nonsense into this. Just b/c Saving Private Ryan is a phenomenal movie, it doesn't mean Shawshank Redemption is a crappy movie just b/c you believe SPR is the better of the two. That's essentially what you're saying here.

11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    hahahahahahahahaha

This is so weak.

That is not even close to what I'm saying and its typically delusional for you to make that accusation.

12. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    ..... but I'm not talking about IMDb ratings right now. I mean, you clearly have little respect for ratings based on mass reviews..... so that begs the question- what do you YOURSELF use as the arbiter of movie goodness or lack thereof? You're talking out your arse left and right but you've yet to give a reply as to what you yourself uses to measure a movie's quality.

13. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    .... said the strawman goalpost mover.

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    no, no, no. You don't get to make a point, and in the course of me proving it wrong, then pretend that point isn't relevant to the discussion anymore.

Secondly, what difference does my personal rating mean....it is all subjective.....just like the ratings all those people use to vote with. The problem is you want to make the greatness of that or any movie/TV show/etc. you've seen objective. That's why you make the stupid arguments like this:

15. Fin D

Fin D Sigh Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Now you proven you don't know what strawman means nor what goal post moving means.

16. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Hey, to each his own.
    You, despite not watching the film, suggested it was dull, slow, and boring. However, I , having watched the film, found it to be a mixture of emotional, dramatic, very well paced, thrilling, and exciting. It was very similar to Deepwater Horizon.

Seems like you're acting like it's a film that caters to a limited demographic like a "Les Miserables", "The Artist", or "Like Water for Chocolate", with viewers either loving it or hating it. It's a very neutral film, meant to be enjoyed by a pretty broad demographic.

17. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    LOL at you conveniently omitting the main part of my comment (the part that says "despite not even watching it") so that you could create yet another straw argument.

aesop likes this.
  18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Whether I've watched it or not, means precisely dick.

I never argued if i saw it or not. I never actually made any definitive judgement about the movie. I called into question your benchmark for greatness. After I called it into question, I stomped it flat and have since watched you flail and freakout trying to make this argument about everything other than your failed benchmark.

19. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Seriously man, go find some other movies to critique that you've yet to see. You've done nothing here but run your mouth, without doing anything productive whatsoever to argue against my original point that it's completely absurd to criticized a highly regarded movie despite not even watching it. Now, the only way you can poke a hole in my argument is to suggest that IMDb isn't a reliable way to determine a movie's overall worth based on its particular genre. However, if you do believe that to be true, then you need to offer a different alternative to measure a movie's worth with. Regardless, it still does NOT change the fact that you're passing judgement on a movie that you haven't seen.

20. Fin D

Fin D Sigh Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm not critiquing the movie. You really are sinking to new depths.

21. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    sure it does. That was what my initial beef was about, so it means everything in the context of this argument.

No, you created another strawman argument. I not once said that IMDb ratings should be used to rank movies from 1 to bottom regardless of genre etc, nor did I EVER suggest that one movie of a similar rating is better than another just b/c its rating happens to be slightly higher. This has nothing to do with comparing movies nor ranking them. It's only about the particular movie ITSELF and whether or not it's perceived as being good, period.

If a movie has a high rating, it's probably a good flick for its genre and target demographic, end of story. Only and idiot would try to start throwing out comparisons between Coco and Saving Private Ryan. If you want to take your KIDS to see a movie, you're not taking them to Saving f***ing Private Ryan........ and when you rate Coco, you're not rating it based on its entertainment value as a mystery, or drama, or war movie. You're rating it on how well you and your 4 year old enjoyed it together.

22. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Anyone who hasn't seen Only the Brave and is thinking about it, I definitely WOULDN'T watch the preview first.

23. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Well, honestly I would have never, ever watched this particular movie, no matter what. I could have seen the trailer 25 times, seen that every critic in the world gave it 10 thumbs up, and had five close friends give it their personal recomindation. I can tell from ten miles away that its not for me, and thats ok.

I was more commenting on your other posts about people disregarding character driven movies. Both related to this particular film and others. You like your thing, and I respect that. But for me, and I think a lot of other people, those kind of films just aren't very enjoyable at best, and at worst are like watching paint dry. And that doesn't mean that someone is less intelligent or has poor taste, it just means that its not their style.

The Oscars aren't the end all of what is good in film, but there's been a dramatic shift over the last 10-15 years over which movies typically get nominated. Back in the 90s, I enjoyed, and frequently saw, many of those who were nominated for best picture. In the early 2000s, that number was less, but I often had a "horse in the race" which I liked and was rooting for. These days, its been years since I've ever cared to see a single movie nominated, either while it was at the cinema or afterwards, and most if not all of the ones that I've seen after the fact I've disliked and not watched again. I actually have to go back to 2010 to find a year where I've even seen any of the nominated films, and I guess that those types have just moved past me.

texanphinatic and ToddPhin like this.
  24. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    So did you watch Deepwater Horizon?

My feelings as well. I have no care in the world for The Artist, Chicago, Shakespeare in Love, or Driving Miss Daisy.... and didn't think Birdman, The English Patient, and Crash were among the greatest movies I've ever seen nor among the most enjoyable few I saw those years.

25. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Oh no. Very similar to the other, there was no way I was ever going to watch the Deepwater movie.

26. Fin D

Fin D Sigh Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Yeah no, no you didn't.

You acted like it was absurd for someone to not like a movie if the movie had a good IMDb score. It wasn't until I pointed out how incredibly asinine that was, that you started moving your goalposts all over the place.

27. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin TX
    Finally saw the "new" Blade Runner. I thought it was excellent, was a trip. Hard to follow in a few spots, but it worked out in the end. The style was phenomenal and a great, updated callback to the original. Good job by Gosling as the main character as well, which caught me by surprise a bit. Nice bit of mind games if you really like that kind of thing.

cuchulainn, Unlucky 13 and ToddPhin like this.
  28. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    "Greater" - one of the better football movies.
    Must watch for all you football junkies.
    [​IMG]

ToddPhin likes this.
  29. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic 30 years and counting Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    you guys just wasted a whole page on the debate, hopefully it's done now.

as far as movies, saw Black Panther last night. Good movie. quality similar to Capt America mixed in with some themes from Lion King. Not the best Marvel movie, but still better than the first 2 Thor movies and the Iron Man movies.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  30. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm hoping to go see it next weekend. Not a Lion King fan though, so I'm not sure what to make of that, lol! :lol: I saw that one for the first time about two years ago with my kids, and can't understand the love.

31. TheOne

TheOne Active Member

Oct 14, 2016
    I just watched Brawl in cell block 99, it was good.

ToddPhin likes this.
  32. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Made it a Netflix night. Watched their zombie-drama Ravenous. It makes The Walking Dead feel like amateur hour. If TWD could've been made like this, it would've been fantastically epic. Instead, Ravenous makes TWD feel like a f***ing zombie soap opera. This is an instant cult-classic IMO.

Followed that up with Netflix's other new release The Outsider with Jared Leto. Highly recommendable flick for those who care about substance. Beautiful gangster-drama about Leto, the white guy, becoming a Yakuza member. This is probably right up your alley for anyone who enjoyed Eastern Promises or the such.

cuchulainn likes this.
  33. aesop

aesop Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    NYC
    Ravenous, is it entirely in french? Haven't really enjoyed any zombie movie since 28 Days Later.

34. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Yes, all French. Makes it all the better and real feeling though IMO. There's minimal dialog and no soundtrack. It's all about being immersed in their world and mode of survival without distraction, exactly as we ourselves would experience if we were dropped into a zombie society. Acting is great. Characters are great. Tension is strong. Direction and cinematography are excellent.

Shared sentiment on the zombie genre. Ravenous was refreshing.

aesop likes this.
  35. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I've never enjoyed a zombie movie! I'm a 40 year old man, but for whatever reason it scares me the same as it did when I was 10. Freaks me out and gives me nightmares. Although I don't enjoy horror in general, the rest doesn't have that same effect on me.

36. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    You should probably ease into horror with something mild like High Tension or Martyrs.

37. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Train to Busan. The idea of leaving a loved one behind in zombie movies will ALWAYS get to me.

38. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    LOL, oh I have no intention of ever being into it. I've always been perplexed as to why so many people are. I hate being scared and grossed out.

39. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=- Club Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Black Panther. One of the better Marvel movies I've seen thus far.

ToddPhin and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  40. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic 30 years and counting Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    zombie movies never bother me. "the Last of Us" PS4 game - that gave me some really good nightmares. really changed the way I look at things. I sometimes find myself walking around Boston thinking about places that would make good hideouts when the zombie apocalypse comes.

ToddPhin likes this.