1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official What was the last movie you saw??

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by vmarcilfan75, Apr 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. ToddPhin

ToddPhin RIP Phinsational Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I think that's the worst thing about owning an XBOX ONE- never got to play The Last of Us.

eltos_lightfoot and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic 30 years and counting Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    it really is. guy who works next to me almost bought a PS4 just to play that game after I kept harping on it over and over. Only 1 of 3 games I've ever played all the way through 3 times.

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  3. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I've thought of renting one for a month at Rent A Center just to play it.

Sony should release it on XBOX ONE now that this much time has passed. Won't hurt their console sales. If anything, it might entice XBOX owners to convert to a PS the next time around so they can play The Last of Us 2.

4. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Rosen Staff Member Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    LOL, I've been a Sony guy since 1997, and have had a PS4 since 2014. And not for one second have I ever considered playing that game. Absolutely no thank you.

5. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    Black Panther - 9 out of 10. Good action. It is in my top 5 Marvel movies.

Coco - 8 out of 10. I don't usually watch animated movies, but I must say CoCo was really good.

Annihilation - 2 out of 10. It bored the hell out of me. The ending was predictable. I don't understand why it has so many good reviews.

The Outsider - 5 out of 10. Jared Leto is a Japanese Yakuza. It was a decent movie. I expected more action, not a love story.

Dunkirk - 6 out of 10. It was okay. I wouldn't put it anywhere near the top 15 of my favorite war movies.

6. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I have 6 and 4 year old girls, and watch a TON of animated family movies, but we haven't seen Coco yet. The trailers just didn't do anything for me. I'm sure we'll see it eventually.

7. phinswolverinesrockets

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    Oh, how do I forget to mention

Roman J. Israel Esq - 0 out of 10. I cannot believe Denzel Washington put this trash out. This may be the only Denzel movie I have ever hated. BORING AS HELL.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  8. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    The most recent Denzel movie that I've seen was unstoppable, about the run away train. The movie was nonsense, but the acting by him, Chris Pine and the criminally underrated Rosario Dawson was all good. The funniest thing about the movie was that the train was headed for a fictional "small city" in Pennsylvania that had a population about three times as big as Pittsburgh, lol. They filmed a lot of the train scenes around my hometown.

9. phinswolverinesrockets

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    My son liked it. I was skeptical, but it turned out to be pretty good.

10. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    My kids are huge fans of The Book of Life, which also centers around the day of the dead. However, its a silly musical comedy, which is their style.

11. phinswolverinesrockets

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    Saw it. I would give it a 4 or 5 out of 10. It was atleast watchable. I love action.

This new movie is unwatchable for me. My wife and i both fell asleep trying to watch it, lol. It was that bad.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  12. phinswolverinesrockets

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    We'll have to check it out. Thanks

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  13. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Something tells me Unlucky still sleeps with a nightlight on......... a cute one that shines the Bat Signal onto his wall. :p

danmarino and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  14. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Took my 5 year old to see it. Trailer didn't do much for me either. I was really surprised. Fantastic movie imo.

eltos_lightfoot and Unlucky 13 like this.
  15. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I watched Coco with my kids on Saturday, and didn't think much of it at all. Slow and lame. As I said before, I watch a lot of animated family movies, and this was well below average. I don't know that we'll ever watch it again.

I finally got to see the Assassins Creed movie last night, and it was ok. B-/C+ effort. As someone who's played all of the video games, I appreciated how they tried to stay true to the general idea, rather than massively change things up. However, it felt a lot more like a long premier for a TV series than a feature film, and it ended that way too. Extremely serious the whole way through the movie, no levity at all.

eltos_lightfoot and danmarino like this.
  16. Fin D

Fin D Sigh Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    In a way.....it is about zombies kinda

danmarino and Unlucky 13 like this.
  17. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    That's true!

Fin D and danmarino like this.
  18. George_Louis

George_Louis New Member

Apr 2, 2018
    USA
    The last carton I watched - Coco. And tell you honestly, I expected much more.
    And the last movie I saw was The Commute with Liam Neeson

19. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I watched Justice League, and it was ok. DC is trying.

Wonder Woman and The Flash were the best parts of the movie. The rest was a lot of meh. The villain was especially flat and over the top. Adding humanity to Batman and Superman seems really forced though. But it kept my interest the whole way though, which is a lot more than I can say for Batman vs Superman.

Also the casting of Joe Morton as Cyborg's dad could in no way be an accident. As soon as I saw him, I thought of him as the scientist from Terminator 2.

20. Bumrush

Bumrush Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Really? I thought Coco was a solid A+ for me. The animations were astounding, the storyline was touching and the cultural references were great.

ToddPhin likes this.
  21. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    definitely agree that wonder woman and Flash were the highlights of Justice League. Steppenwolf was definitely nothing special. I really hope they step up their game when Darkseid appears. I can get behind that Justice league was more like a 2nd intro movie in a row, but that means they need to do better in the next one. Overall, I did enjoy the movie.

it is interesting - the origin of Steppenwolf. came from Jack Kirby when he left Marvel. semi-roots in the Thor universe

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Unlucky 13 likes this.
  22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito. Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Justice League is very forgettable. Sometimes I forget that I actually watched it.

23. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Same here. It was like it was slapped together for the sole purpose of soliciting introducing us to Aquaman, Flash, and Cyborg, with little desire for actual content value. I would've preferred individual films on the trio first, providing us a backstory and some character development before throwing them into a film together.

eltos_lightfoot and cuchulainn like this.
  24. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    There are a lot of pretty good assembly movies where multiple characters are set up during the movie and the movie rocks. The "Avengers" method is rare and only has really worked once in the modern era. Yes, I do think it would have been better if Aquaman, Flash, and Cyborg got good movies beforehand and then came together for Justice League. I just do not think it was necessary.

IMO, the problem is multiple fold. I think the main problem though is Joss Whedon came in and made his movie over the top of Zach Synder's move. While I dislike Zach's version of DC Comics, especially Man of Steel, his movies do have a memorable quality. The Jossification of Zach's vision created such a bland movie of just stuff happening with little to no stakes or character development or character.

Basically the story I heard was they did not want to delay the movie because the executives wanted to protect their bonuses, which caused the movie to be rushed.

25. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I read that Zach Snyder had finished filming and was in the process of editing when one of his kids committed suicide, and he then stepped away. Weadon came in, cut a lot out, and changed the idea of what the movie was supposed to be, as you said.

I like Weadon a lot typically, but that's when he does his own deal from start to finish. Having two guys each put their own spin on the same movie isn't going to end with something great 99% of the time.

26. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    yeah, those are two very different types of directors. I wasn't aware Whedon has left Marvel.

27. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Age of Ultron burned him out.

Surprisingly Marvel learned the right lessons with Age of Ultron.

28. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Its sounds like the door is still open if he wants to do more with the MCU. Taking over Justice League is pretty much the only thing that he's done outside of Marvel in the last six years, and he's been involved with them on one level or another 2005.

What I would really like to see him do is a live action version of Atlantis: The Lost Empire, which he wrote for Disney in 2001. With today's tech, they could really do it justice, and it could be made live action/CGI with virtually no changes to the script and be a huge blockbuster, IMO. Its a really underrated animated movie.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  29. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin TX
    Saw Netflix's film The Titan.

Awful. It had a semi-interesting premise, but god Sam Worthington has just no range. And about halfway through, the film went off the rails, it just made absolutely no sense and the ending was bizarre. I've enjoyed some of the Netflix offerings, both Bright and What Happened to Monday were fun if unspectacular, but this one is one to skip.

Also makes me worried about any future Avatar movies. Worthington was a weak link in that, and he hasn't gotten better.

ToddPhin likes this.
  30. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin TX
    Why a live action? I just don't see the point, though I fully admit it's personal preference I suppose. I have not been a fan of the live action remakes - Beauty and the Beast was imo mediocre. Not bad, but not really worth doing. Disney will pump them out as long as they make money though.

31. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Just because I think that it could be even cooler. Some movies are best as animation, others can go either way, and I think that its one that could.

I have 6 & 4 year old girls, and let me tell you that I am in no way looking forward to a lifetime of princess movie remakes! But others could be interesting, if done the right way.

texanphinatic likes this.
  32. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin TX
    I suppose. Just not my jam. I wouldn't, however, mind further exploration of some of these worlds in live action. But straight up remakes pick at me for some reason. :D. I only have a 2y/o son. He's getting a nice dose of Star Wars.

33. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Sadly, my girls aren't into the Star Wars movies yet. They do like the Lego video games though.

34. TheOne

TheOne Active Member

Oct 14, 2016
    I'm going to see Rampage some time next week, I will give you guys my opinion on it. :up:

35. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    A Quiet Place. Such a well acted and tense movie. And it didn't overstay its welcome.

eltos_lightfoot and ToddPhin like this.
  36. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I just saw Arrival.

The movie is as amazing as I heard. I was floored by how well it was acted and directed. How the action was a minimum but the intensity was a maximum. I am disappointed in myself for not seeing it sooner.

37. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Great movie. I keep going back on forth on whether I should get i on UHD. It's not the type of movie I usually buy but I would definitely watch it repeat times.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  38. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I was spoiled on the movie and it was so good that it did not matter. I would have been blown away if I watched it without knowing anything about it and would have to watch it a second time.

39. eltos_lightfoot

eltos_lightfoot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Ready Player One was pretty good, but it was completely different than the book. Watch the movie first, and you will like it more. It isn't that the movie sucks if you read the book, they are just so different. It's distracting.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  40. danmarino

danmarino Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    I just watched Black Panther two days ago. I'm a huge lover of Marvel and DC films.

This was hands down THEE worst Marvel film I've ever seen. And I've seen Howard the Duck! lol

It was corny and cheesy. Bad acting and horrible writing. Boring and coma inducing. Now, maybe I'm basing it off of it's high reviews, and it didn't live up to my expectations, but man, what a waste of my time and money.