1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official What was the last movie you saw??

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by vmarcilfan75, Apr 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Watched Apocalypse Now Final cut in 4K HDR...

simply amazing and a sight to behold.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I watched three movies.

Lego Movie 2: It is alright. Can't capture the magic of the first movie or the lesson. Perfect movie to watch if you don't want any real stress and want to forget about the horrors of the real world.

Isn't It Romantic: It is alright. You could have written this movie. Hell, you probably did. It is very on the nose. Some jokes did make me laugh. Perfect movie to watch if you don't want any real stress and to forget about the horrors of the real world.

Parasite: Well ****. Not the perfect movie to watch if you don't want any real stress and to forget about the horrors of the real world. Great movie. I have never watched a scene of someone shopping at be filled with so much dread.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  3. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Agreed on the the message, it felt a little more specific to siblings than generalized for everyone. Otherwise, it was pretty akin to the first, still lots of good humor and sight gags to keep things moving and adults interested. If you liked the first, you'll like the second. If you didn't like the first, don't bother.

Also finally saw Detective Pickachu. I'm a Pokemon fan, but thought this was just OK. Very slow start and build into the main mystery, it was hard to follow in places. Still, it was fun seeing a 'realistic' depiction of the Pokemon world. Not a bad movie by any means, but based on some what I heard from friends and others, it didn't blow me away.

Unlucky 13 and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  4. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Though I thought that the second Lego movie was OK, it was IMO not only far inferior to the original, but also to Lego Batman and Lego Ninjago. The other three are excellent, while Part 2 seems like they really mailed it in. Unfortunately, that was the case with most of the animated sequels that came out in the past year or so.

5. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I'm going to check this out on Hulu.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    That is where I watched it.

It is one of those movies where I liked it, then I look up people talking why it is great, then I gain a better appreciation for it.

7. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Looking forward to it. I've been watching Scream Queens so it will be a nice change of pace.

8. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I finally watched it. Great movie that I’ll probably never watch again. I highly recommend it if you want to have an existential crisis.

9. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Saw Knives Out. Fun, smart movie. Reminiscent of more old timey detective/murder mystery type stories, but with a modern setting. Interesting in that you learn the actual "crime" quite early, but have different pieces and bits of information fall into place that kind of turns it upside down and reframes it, while essentially remaining the same. Fun acting, the girl who was the hologram chick from the recent Blade Runner did a nice job, and Daniel Craig was good. From previews, I really thought I would hate his accent and shtick, but it worked.

10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I want to watch it again after learning more about it. See if I can pick up on some of those things.

I just saw the sequel to the Jumaji sequel. It was alright. Not as funny as the first one, but totally watchable.

11. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Do you have any links? I'd like to read more about it.

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I mostly did a search on youtube and listened to people talk about it. It is fascinating and I was surprised by how many things I did not get because I don't know much about Korean culture. However lighting and cinematography were excellent in this movie.

Also, the house was specifically created for the movie.

13. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I agree on the cinematography and lighting was absolutely fantastic. I think my only gripe was that the characters seemed a bit much/silly at times.

14. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I think that is what allows it to be more universal. Since the characters were a bit much, I am able to pick up on exactly what is going on without having to pay attention to the fact that when the family is celebrating that all of the other members of the family are on the floor, while the daughter is on the couch, which is displaying that even though they are all part of the same scam the daughter has risen to a higher station within society.

Without the characters being a bit much/silly at times this is just a boring pretentious foreign film. That of course my opinion.

15. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Watched the Chris Hemsworth Netflix movie Extraction.

Solid action-type movie. If you like good looking dudes running around gunning down hordes of hapless enemies you will probably enjoy it. They tried to get you more emotionally invested (including Gladiator-style flashbacks). Didn't always work, but Hemsworth and the kid had some decent chemistry. Nothing special, but a fun enough watch.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  16. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    It's in my que. Thank you.

17. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    My choices have been questionable lately.

Pet Sematary Remake - 2/10
    Happy Death Day 2U - 4/10
    Stuber - 6/10
    Hobbs and Shaw - 5/10
    I, Tonya - 7/10

18. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Wife did a Disney+ trial, so guess we may see some new stuff.

Started with Toy Story 4.

It wasn't bad ... but Jesus what in the ever loving Christ was that. It was weird as ****.

Kiddo ... did not enjoy the creepy dolls. It was like Toy Story for acid lovers or something. Very adult.

19. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    My younger daughter, who was five when we saw it last summer, was completely freaked out a few times.

texanphinatic likes this.
  20. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Yeah my kiddo (4.5) was laying with mom on the couch and at one point he was just like "Im going to hide now" and went under a blanket for awhile. The whole thing was very surreal and almost unpleasantly creepy. Like I said, it wasn't a "bad" film, but it was just a weird trip and far more adulty in every way (like even beyond the creepy dolls you had the whole existential crisis of Forky) than I expected. By far the least kid-friendly Pixar film. I am still thoroughly weirded out by the whole experience.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  21. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Saw Onward. Good film, fun premise - magic fantasy world that has lost magical ability as they gained technology. Not as much of a tear jerker as Up (and presumably Coco from what I hear), but still high on the hard hitting moments. I thought the balance was ok, it didn't just constantly hammer on the points, but weaved it in.

Good humor, though I'm not sure it would appeal to younger kids. I watched it without my kid, but it didn't seem to have the visual appeal of movies like Cars or the earlier Toy Stories for a preschool age audience.

Overall a good offering, not at the level of Incredibles 1 or Wall-E, but good.

Unlucky 13 and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  22. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    IMO, almost everything Pixar did though Inside Out in 2015 was really good. I've not yet seen Onward, but the other six that have come out since then not only haven't been as good, but some have been flat out bad movies. The Good Dinosaur, Finding Dory, Cars 3 and Coco just weren't enjoyable at all, and neither my wife and I nor our kids have had any desire to see them a second time. Incredibles 2 was mediocre, but nowhere close to the original, and Toy Story 4 was ok, but easily the worst of the series, taking into account when they were made. They really lost their fastball about five years ago, and I guess we'll see if it comes back. No interest in Soul whenever it gets released either.

texanphinatic likes this.
  23. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    The Cars movies were always the most kiddie - not as much for adults, so I can't really fault Cars 3 for bearing down even more on that. My wife really enjoyed Incredibles 2, I would just say it was alright. Not bad, not unwatchable, but not something I am eager to see again. TS4 I probably will never see again. I haven't seen any of the others actually, none of them seemed really interesting. Most people say Coco was very good, but almost overwhelmingly sad, and that's just not my jam. I won't ever watch Up again for that reason.

Definitely been more "miss" than "hit" lately with them, which is disappointing. They really peaked with Wall-E, all the way back in 2008. Some of the later movies were good, but not great, like TS3 and Monster U.

24. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Big Hero 6. Good, fun movie. I enjoyed it more than either TS4 or Onward. They included a tragic element early but without making it overwhelming so that the rest of the movie could shine through more than some of the overbearing Pixar stuff (I know BH6 isn't Pixar). Some good simple lessons about friendship and helping people mixed in with some deeper ones about self-sacrifice, dealing with loss and depression, unusual families working to get by, etc.

Puka-head and Unlucky 13 like this.
  25. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Its very good, and very fun, I agree. Too bad it hasn't gotten the reception that it deserves. Impressive voice cast, too.

26. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Watched The Lodge on Friday evening, of which I give a 7/10.

Details behind Riley Keough's character were scant even though the movie was a full hour and 50 minutes which I felt was a miss- there should have been more there. Definitely more mind-****y, atmospheric horror. Something that these directors do quite well is change the viewer's perspectives up with plot reveals that keeps you thinking throughout the movie. Their previous movie was the German, "Goodnight Mommy", another weird one where you don't know who you're really rooting for. I suggest both to atmospheric horror fans (think The Shining type of horror).

Another slow burner that had a lot of tension is A24's The Blackcoat's Daughter which you can see through Netflix. It was way more brutal than I thought it was going to be, especially when you glance at who makes up the cast. It's a couple years old at this point, but still a pretty decent horror flick.

27. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    It's on my list and I need to get around to watching it.

I watched Arizona with Danny Mcbride(6/10) and now I'm over half way through IT chapter 2.

28. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Inside Out - excellent, high-tier Pixar film. They hit a good note between their love of sad moments while remaining upbeat and ending a good note. Not as overwhelming as some of their stuff. I liked how it made me kind of introspective as well, reflecting on my own life, core memories, islands, etc and how they may have changed throughout my life. I felt a personal connection to this one that I don't generally.

Aladdin (Live) Remake - surprisingly fun. Bright and vibrant. Ultimately though, it lacked the verve of the original movie, the music was much more understated and the acting in the live performance didn't live up to the voice casting of the animated (especially Robin). Fun enough on it's own, but I prefer the original.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  29. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    I missed this back in the day when it originally came out but it's now available on Netfix dvd.
    It's a B movie it's got Rodney Piper in it and it's loads of fun

I've come to chew bubble gum and impregnate you women.
    And I'm all out of bubble gum.

upload_2020-5-28_16-16-25.png

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  30. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    A terrible classic, lol. I saw that a few times when I was in HS.

31. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    I'm a sucker for those plus it had another favorite actor of mine, William Smith.

32. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    He made a long career out of playing jerks and bad guys.

33. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I watched Love Birds on Netflix.

It is a perfect Neflix movie. If you like Kumail Nanjianiil, Issa Rae, and "One Bad Day" movies then you will probably enjoy it.

I also watched Teen Titans Go To The Movies for the third time on HBO Max. I still think it is one of the best cinematic DC movies since The Dark Knight.

In fact, if I were to go my top five released in cinemas DC movie it would go

5. Wonder Woman
    4. Birds of Prey
    3. Shazaam!
    2. The Lego Batman Movie
    1. Teen Titans Go! To the Movies

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  34. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I enjoyed Teen Titans Go to the Movies when I saw it at the cinema. It was fun, and funny. But I haven't had any desire to seek out seeing it again. I'd probably watch it if it was on TV.

On the flip side, I own the Blu Ray for Lego Batman, and mostly at the choosing of my kids, have watched it many, many times. We watched it again last week, and its always so smart and funny. For me, it had lasting appeal, whereas Teen Titans really doesn't, even for someone who watches the show.

Haven't seen Shazam, but I'd watch it if it were on. No desire at all to see Birds of Prey, but I absolutely hated Suicide Squad, and would not watch it again, even it was the only thing on TV and I was bored.

Wonder Woman is awesome, and is easily my favorite live action DC movie of all time. Aquaman is second. 1989 Batman is probably third.

35. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I plan on watching Aquaman this weekend.

I laugh hard every time Star Fire yells, "You are the terrible parents!"

I do not know if you would like Birds of Prey. It is not without its faults, but I found it to be enjoyable.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  36. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I watched Trolls: World Tour with my family this weekend, and was really unimpressed, unfortunately. We've seen the first one countless times, and it has a lot of rewatch value. Its smart, funny, clever, and has some surprising shock value at times.

But the second one is really lacking. Its different writers and director, and they just weren't up to the task. They focus far too much on message and not nearly enough on making the movie enjoyable, and it falls flat in both areas.

37. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I watched the Old Guard because I read the comic. The action sequences were really good but somethings changed from the comic that I didn't really care for. 6/10

38. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Palm Springs on Amazon Prime.

Solid 6.5 out of 10. It's a modern day, emo version of Groundhog Day. Nothing special although the female lead is pretty damn hot.

39. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Isn't this on Hulu? I am planning on watching because I Love Andy Samberg.

40. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Oops.. You are correct.. Hulu