1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official What was the last movie you saw??

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by vmarcilfan75, Apr 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I thought it was largely pretty bad. I'm not familiar with the graphic novel, but the gay relationship introduced halfway through the movie felt very forced and token-y. It also follows a large trend in most action movies where you'll get maybe 20 minutes of solid action and the rest is talking, a trend that the John Wick movies have had a great success in bucking even though their plots are mostly ridiculous.

I watched Alexander Aja's Crawl on Amazon Prime a few weeks ago. Great popcorn creature feature in the vain of Jaws, etc. I can see why Sam Raimi was involved in producing it.

But hands down the best movie I've seen in awhile is Macon Blair's "I Don't Feel at Home in this World Anymore" on Netflix. It expertly tows the line between humor and a serious story and there's barely a slow moment through the whole thing.

Lastly, I watched "The Art of Self-Defense" on Hulu. What starts off as a pretty light-hearted satire on the 2nd amendment, toxic masculinity, and karate culture really devolves into ridiculousness through its 2nd half- both in what happens and its glib commentary on current social issues that I guess I was unprepared for.

2. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Relationship was definitely token.

I saw I Don't Feel At Home in this World Anymore when it first hit Netflix. Both of the leads in that movie were fantastic. I loved it.

Art Of Self Defense is on my Hulu watch list. I was listening to an interview with Eisenberg and the movie was made years ago but finally released. A lot of what people are saying is a statement on current events is just a coincidence.

invid likes this.
  3. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Made some good decisions on movies this weekend:

Alita Battle Angel 8/10. Thoroughly enjoyed even though her love interest was a terrible actor and her big eyes freaked me out a bit.
    Palm Springs 9/10. I love Andy Samberg and JK Simmons so it was no surprise that I liked this movie. The female lead is very attractive like stated above.
    Ingrid Goes West 7/10. Another movie I watched because I love the lead(Aubrey Plaza). It was difficult to watch at times but it's still an overall good movie.
    All Nighter 7/10. Another JK Simmons movie this time opposite Emile Hirsch. Very simple plot but the two of them had chemistry so it made for a very enjoyable watch.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    Dol-Fan Dupree and Unlucky 13 like this.
  4. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I watched Knives Out yesterday; I really enjoyed it, but not sure I'll ever want to watch it again.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  5. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I didn't like it as much as I expected to. I definately won't watch it again.

Bumrush likes this.
  6. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I want to watch Alita. Waiting for it to eventually come on Netflix or Prime at no additional charge.

texanphinatic likes this.
  7. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    The romantic subplot in Alita is so unnecessary and the ending is so abrupt and anti-climactic. The art design and the action, however, are pretty good. Sometimes I wonder why movies like Alita, which are like 75% CG, don't just go all in. For some reason we can't have fully animated movies geared for adults which I don't really get.

Stitches and Unlucky 13 like this.
  8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I watched Desperados on Netflix.

Basically I was watching New Girl and then I saw a trailer for a movie that had Winston and Aly as the main leads in a romantic comedy. I was with my girlfriend so I thought it would be a fun movie to watch.

it is bad.

The tone is all over the place. One scene someone would be raped by a Dolphin, then a running gag where the main star looks to be accidentally hitting on a minor whose mom is one of the worst actresses I have ever seen, so bad that she must be a friend of someone powerful. Then they would have a subplot about a woman to finally leave her husband and a poor woman who is unable to have a child.

it is very bad.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  9. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Sadly, I've read several reviews that said the same thing.

We have not yet watched the live action Aladdin movie. Waiting until we eventually subscribe to Disney+, which is now going to be much later than we thought with all of the MCU shows getting pushed back. But when I saw that Nasim Pedrad, who plays Ally on New Girl is in it, it made me more willing to watch it with my kids when we get to it.

I also realized way after the fact that she plays Jillian, Gru's annoying neighbor, in Despicable Me 2, which is fun. She was also on ER, but way after I stopped watching.

10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Oh yea, I did not realize that was her from Aladdin. She was great in that movie. One of the highlights in the live-action Aladdin.

11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I just watched Palm Springs. I love it a lot. I would also give it a 9/10. I love movies with this premise. If you can watch the movie without knowing what it is, I think it would add an extra bit of awesome. It is a comedy though.

Destroyer likes this.
  12. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I've been looking for good comedies..

Watched History of the World Part 1. .

Mel Brooks is hilarious.. I see a lot of similarities between him and Larry David.. The Inquisition bit was spectacular.. 9/10

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  13. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Its an absolute classic. Mel Brooks is an inner circle HOFer for comedy movies.

Bumrush likes this.
  14. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I watched Once Upon a Time In Hollywood. 8/10 It was not Tarantino's best but I always find his movies entertaining and well directed. Brad Pitt was phenomenal in it. One of this best roles ever.

vmarcilfan75 likes this.
  15. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    One of my all time favorite movies. every sequence has something good in it. If I had to pick 3 all time favorite comedies, would include History of the World, airplane and Young Dr Frankenstein. Mel Brooks was amazing

Bumrush likes this.
  16. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    History of the World and Young Frankenstein are both absolutely wonderful, but Spaceballs will always be my favorite. Largely due to my age and when it came out.

The Zucker Brothers movies are also so awesome. Along with Airplane, The Kentucky Fried Movie, Police Squad and the first two Naked Guns are both so good.

17. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    yes, showing your age on those choices. spaceballs was definitely great. For my age, I'd add Animal House and 1941.

18. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    The late 80s were just an amazing time for comedies. It was a good time to be a tween, and be just old enough to be allowed to watch a lot of them. You can look over the list from 1987-89, and it goes about 30 deep each year with memorable ones. These days, there are hardly any being made at all.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  19. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Watched JoJo Rabbit the other night. Dark comedy.
    Enjoyed it.

vmarcilfan75 likes this.
  20. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    I enjoyed that movie...JoJo and Yorki were awesome

21. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    I knew nothing about the movie before watching it. The scene where JoJo sees his mothers shoes above him, really caught me off guard.

vmarcilfan75 likes this.
  22. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I watched the Avatar Air Bender movie tonight, and man did it suck. It sucked so, so much. My kids thought it was ok, which was the important part, but the acting was all just so unbelievably bad.

23. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    One of the worst movies of all time.

Boring
    Bad action
    Bad dialog
    Bad acting

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  24. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    My wife forced me to watch Hamilton.. I saw the play live and thought the idea of watching a play on TV would surely mean it would suck.

Boy was I WRONG!!! Freaking amazing, even better than the live show. Highly recommend watching it!

Ohio Fanatic and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  25. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Meh. I listened to a few songs from the soundtrack last week and was very. very unimpressed. I don't really have any intentions of watching it when we eventually get Disney+.

26. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    If you like history you'll love it..

It's just a great overall production.. The music on it's own is lackluster, you have to see within the context of the production.

27. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I do not agree. The music on it is own is brilliant. Learning the music theory behind the music is fascinating.

I could understand if you are not a fan of that type of music, however, for what it is, it is great.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  28. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    I just can't get it in to it.. My wife on the other hand has been listening to it constantly..

29. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I think that is the nature of art. There are many things that are brilliant art that I just do not like.

30. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Yeah, I think that for everyone, there are musical styles that you can get into and others that you just can't. For me, its a style that's just way outside of my zone. Glad that others enjoy it.

31. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    I will say I can listen to the Jefferson / Hamilton rap battle all day long!

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  32. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I love Farmer Refuted.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  33. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Yeah I was super unimpressed with it, definitely not in the same class as the Hemsworth Netflix original from last year.

It had an interesting premise, but many of the story choices just didn't flow and mesh, and the acting was roundly horrible. I don't know if Theron just wasn't very interested in giving it her all or if it was **** directing and dialogue, but her character was just utterly boring and uninteresting. "Ok, more brooding, but make it like an ... aloof brooding!" Super one dimensional to me - if they were going for mysterious they badly missed the mark. Everyone else could best be described as "forgettable" though Dudley from Harry Potter gave a decent villian performance.

I went in not realizing it was a movie and thought it was a show. The first 30 minutes were super boring and I kept hoping for the episode to end so a new one might pull things together and get things moving. Never happened, was pretty boring most of the way through.

invid likes this.
  34. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    my daughter got me hooked years ago. I'm a big revolutionary war fan and this play was perfect. probably listened to the album over 200 times on my morning walks. agree with others that the music is brilliant. went to NY few years ago. TIckets were really expensive, so only my daughter and wife went while I took my youngest to see Aladdin. but, then it came up to Boston and I bought tickets (only $1500/ticket in Boston). I still got eyeball waterfalls at the end of hte show on Disney+. to be able to see the original cast was worth the price of Disney+ for a year.

Bumrush likes this.
  35. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    "my shot" is one of the best broadway songs in history IMO. find it very motivational whenever I deal with the dip**** VP's at work. thank god I'm moving companies in a few weeks.

36. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    So I watched Hamilton again and I've come to the conclusion that Lin Manuel Miranda is a creative genius on par with the all time greats.

It's on par with a Shakespeare tragedy. The reconciliation between Eliza and Alexander is something I'll never forget. The orphanage line at the end was extremely emotional for me as well. Thomas Jefferson's character was a revelation.. His musical talents and dancing skills are perfectly executed. I told my wife we could watch this weekly for a year and still see things we missed as every inch of the screen had something amazing going on.

My favorite scenes as of right now:
    - Rap battle
    - The Reynolds affair ***Jefferson yelling ***not gonna be the president*** was one of the most powerful lines of the show
    - The reconciliation
    - Eliza's anger and decision NOT to spill the beans to the press

I'm in awe.. I also have changed my previous opinion regarding the music.. Dupree was right, it stands on it's own.. Took a few viewings for it to really sink in.

I wonder if this show will outlive us and be referenced hundreds of years from now. It should.

37. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    It does. by 3rd time I listened to the album, I was hooked and convinced.

38. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Jojo Rabbit 9.5/10. Taika Waititi has made another great movie. It's very stylish and colorful kind of like a Wes Anderson movie. The jokes are great just like they were with Ragnarok. I think this could end up being out of my favorite movies of all time.

39. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    So, if someone really, strongly, passionately hates Wes Anderson movies, they're likely not to like this one?

40. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    I watched Portrait of a Lady on Fire and I wanted to douse myself in gasoline..

I normally like slow paced, introspective films but this one was just..... boring.

For the top ranked film on Reddit (2020) I was surprised at how tedious it was.

The gazes and body language certainly felt realistic but the rest of it fell flat... I'm falling asleep thinking of it as I typedasjdafdknsk