1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official What was the last movie you saw??

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by vmarcilfan75, Apr 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Bird of Prey 3/10. God that was awful. I’m really trying to come up with a positive but I can’t.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  2. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    It looked pretty bad from everything I've seen. No desire to see it.

3. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga

Another Netflix vehicle, aWill Ferrell musical comedy of all things.

Honestly, I was kind of shocked that it was a pretty fun and watchable flick. I thought it would be godawful and had the lowest of expectations, pleased to be surprised. Plenty of schlock, but it had enough good moments and surprisingly catchy musical bits to keep things moving and interesting. Ferrell isn't as domineering as he can sometimes be, and Rachel McAdams is very solid. The wife - NOT a Ferrell fan - said it was "the right amount of tongue in cheek".

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I just watched it a second time. I liked it much more than the first time. Loved Huntress.

5. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    He's not the force he used to be, but he was probably my favorite comedic actor from 2000-2010 or so. I mean, this is a heck of a decade for anyone. And the funny thing was that my wife and I saw most of them on a whim, and came away absolutely loving them.

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
    Zoolander
    Elf
    Anchorman
    Talladega Nights
    Stranger Than Fiction (he's very good in a more dramatic role here)
    Blades of Glory
    Step Brothers
    Land of the Lost
    The Other Guys

6. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Don't forget Semi-Pro! A lot of people hate on it, but it's one of my favorites, super underrated imo.

7. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    The bear scene is one of my favorites ever. [​IMG]

texanphinatic likes this.
  8. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I usually like Mary Elizabeth Winstead but her acting was not good. Plus I'd say she was on the screen for less than 20 minutes. I get they were trying to capture the success of Deadpool but they failed miserably.

9. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I never got around to seeing that one. I had a mild interest when it was new.

10. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I love it (to be fair, I like most of his work). Ferrell is a bit more understated than in Anchorman/Talladega, almost a supporting actor. Still plenty of his trademark stuff, but he's not as dominant, with Woody Harrelson and Andre 3000 taking on strong roles alongside him. It's just got a bit more heart beyond the pure comedy hijinks of his other work imo.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  11. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Yet another Netflix flick: Project Power with Jamie Foxx and Joseph Gordon Leavitt.

It was ... kind bad. BUT! It was the FUN kind of bad. So ... enjoyably bad. Better than Old Guard.

12. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I haven't even had it pop up on my Netflix list or suggestions. The system must know its not my thing, lol.

13. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    If you like mostly mindless action movies with decent action sequences then it's fine. It's not going to challenge you intellectually or anything. :chuckle:

14. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    I went in with very low expectations of it with it being a Netflix flick, which usually have been horrendously bad. With that in mind, it was ok and I quite enjoyed it. Better than most of Netflix's own films...which I know isn't saying much. 7/10.

15. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I'm seeing New Mutants at 6PM.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I still think it is the biggest prank Aston Kusher has ever pulled.

The screen is just going to be him saying, "YOU'RE PUNKED!"

17. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm still a long, long, long ways from feeling comfortable enough to go to the cinema. And really could couldn't pay me to watch New Mutants regardless. It really looks like the opposite of what I want from a comic movie. The last years of FOX's control of the property just really got more and more off base for me. Apocalypse, Logan, Dark Phoenix and now this one.

Excited to see it all redone later in the MCU.

18. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    There are only two seats taken so far. I think it will mostly empty which is why I am going. I've wanted to see this movie since 2017. I'll be sad if it's bad and sad if it's good. There's no way to win with this one.

19. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I was kind of thinking the same thing. I will report back.

20. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    The New Mutants 8.5/10
    I loved this movie. Probably my third or 4th favorite X-men movie after Logan, X2 and DPOF. The actors and writers nailed the characters. The story was a pretty good adaptation of New Mutants(1st series) issues 18 and 19 which were two of my favorites growing up. So I am probably rating it higher than most would. The cinematography and music(they used the Mats' Bastards Of the Young!) were good as well. Magik was so bad *** and her look, attitude and power set were spot on.

The stuff I'll nitpick:
    It wasn't as scary as I wanted it/ thought it would be. The run time was shorter than I would have liked. There were a couple cheesy parts/parts where the acting could have been a little better. There will most likely be no sequel in what could have been a great trilogy if Disney hadn't bought Fox.

I will buy this movie on 4K when it comes out.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  21. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Watched Nocturnal Animals last night. Dark and violent.
    Took a little while to process the ending.

22. Den54

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Watched Woody Harrelson in Defendor last night.
    Sad comedy. Enjoyed it.

23. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Watched The Neverending Story for the first time since I was a kid.

That movie is really weird. It amazes me how different movies were made back then. It just jumps into the story and just tells you what is going on as the movie is happening.

I don't think I got the 4th wall break as a kid.

Very fun movie. Though it still amazes me how many movies existed when I was a kid that was scary and thought-provoking. I know I sound old when I say this but a lot of kid movies today are fart jokes, falling down, and funny faces and butts.

I guess it is mostly that kids entertainment now is mostly to sell toys and made by executives and back in my day it was made by people on acid.

texanphinatic, invid and Unlucky 13 like this.
  24. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'd watched Neverending Story a few times since I was a kid. My wife and I bought it cheap on DVD years back and watched it together, and then its been on TV. But we showed it, very excitedly, to our kids last year because we thought they were old enough to appreciate it, and they absolutely hated it. A little scared, a little bored and mostly uninterested.

But yeah, the 80s were a very different time to be a kid. We were raised by the Muppets and Jim Henson in a lot of ways. Along with Neverending Story, there was Labrynth, the Dark Crystal, Flight of the Navigator, and creatures from Star Wars. And of course other studios borrowed from all of that in various ways too. Practical special effects, which were everywhere back then, just trend into creepy pretty easily.

But I'm glad that I grew up then and not in the 90s, because stuff made for kids at that point was just so bland and sterile. I know that younger Mellinials have fond memories of a lot of it, but I'm just not able to grasp the appeal. But each generation is like that. Thankfully starting around 2000, Dreamworks and other companies steered "family" entertainment back into a direction that people other than really small kids can enjoy as well.

texanphinatic and invid like this.
  25. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Don't forget The Princess Bride, one of my favourite films ever and just as enjoyable for adults (I was 19 when it came out) as it is for kids.

Still talk of a remake being on the cards....inconceivable!

26. Den54

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    I don't think that word means what you think it means.

texanphinatic and Claymore95 like this.
  27. Den54

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    No love for Willow or Lady Hawke?

28. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    OMG yes. Its an inner circle HOF movie for me. One of my favorites of all time. I was just listing those that dealt more with the special effects of the day.

And Den yes Willow is also a classic. My kids enjoyed it more than Neverending Story when we showed it to them. Its a very fun movie. When Val Kilmer's character is let out of the cage, he yells "I....feel......better!" You expect that he's fine, or good, or happy, but instead he just says better, and I found it hilarious. Its been a running gag between my wife and I for about 15 years.

Den54 likes this.
  29. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I love Willow.

30. Den54

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!

Before he was the Leprechaun.

31. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm Thinking of Ending Things on Netflix.

It's a poor version of Mulholland Drive. The opening dialog is promising until the movies turns in to a snoozefest.

3 out of ten, unfortunately. I normally like movies like this but it just fell flat.

32. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    The Social Dilemma on Netflix is amazing and depressing. Highly recommend it, especially if you have kids.

33. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I watched Enola Holmes on Netflix, and it was good, and worth watching once. Millie Bobbie Brown was terrific, and I think that she has a bright future. Henry Cavil and Helena Bonham Carter were both good, although I think both were also sort of wasted. They're both capable of much more than they had them do in this, in roles that honestly could have been played by far less accomplished actors equally well, if that's all the director wanted.

I also don't understand the controversy regarding Cavil's performance as Sherlock being too emotional at all. He smiled a couple of times. That's it. No more than Cumberbach sometimes would on the TV show as Holmes.

34. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I watched Bumblebee last night and it was....not good. Not that the other Transformers movies are high art, but Michael Bay understood his audience and did his thing and it mostly worked for what it was. This one tries to both stay true to the existence of those movies but also ignore them in a lot of ways, and it just doesn't work.

The movie is set in the mid 80s, which would make sense if it was a true prequel. But it looks like they decided that it wasn't after it was already finished, and changed some things in post production, so the choice to set it in that time just seems pointless. They ignored the timeline of the other movies, and also completely botched the origin story of the characters at the same time, as if it was made by people who didn't understand any of it and were just going through the motions.

They also shot it very, very much in the style of a mediocre PG family movie made back then. And I tried to figure out whether this was a poor thing that they did intentionally, or whether it was just the best that they could do and it just sort of happened.

The movie is probably fun for kids, though slow at times. 1 1/2 stars.

35. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    As a Transformers fan (not the movies explicitly, but the IP), I quite disliked this one. I heard really good things, and it seems like I am in the minority, but I really disliked it. The female lead never seemed to be in real danger (since she kept seeking it out) but should have been dead about 800 times, and the parents were also unbelievable.

The others were in no way high cinema, but I certainly liked them more, if only for the spectacle.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  36. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Watched Boss Level last night, starring Frank Grillo, Mel Gibson and Naomi Watts. Got it via *ahem* other means, as it's not been released yet after finishing production over a year ago. The rights have been sold to Hulu, who will release it next year.

If you get a chance to watch, either via Hulu or elsewhere, I would definitely recommend as it's fun movie. Lots of action scenes, funny, and good performances from Grillo and Gibson.

Story-wise, it's like a mix of Groundhog Day meets Kill Bill, with Grillo reliving the same day again and again, each time waking up with a variety of assassins trying to kill him, and he has no idea, at first, why.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    Unlucky 13 likes this.
  37. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I watched Bill And Ted Face the Music

It is a perfectly enjoyable movie. Probably better if you are a fan of the other two movies.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  38. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I want to see it eventually. I wish that it was made 20 years ago, lol. I remember seeing Bogus Journey in the cinema on the day it came out, and there were about 10 people in the theatre. It was such an awesome experience at that point.

39. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I just watched The Snyder Cut.

I am shocked how much I liked it. It was 4 hours and WAY too long. However, I enjoyed the movie. There is a really good 3.5 hour movie in there. If that 3.5 hour movie was the version that was shown many years ago, I think this would have easily been a billion-dollar movie. I wouldn't mind watching it again.

If you eliminate the epilogue, which is crap, then I would put this as my second favorite DCEU movie after Shazaam!.

I am still kind of in shock that I liked it.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  40. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    You know what's ****ed up? I wanted to rewatch "The Road" the other day with Viggo Mortensen and Kodi Smit-McPhee and it's literally not available to stream anywhere.

So I went to Amazon to buy a physical blu-ray and the only option is $60.

What the hell is going on?

Unlucky 13 likes this.