1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official What was the last movie you saw??

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by vmarcilfan75, Apr 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. KeyFin

KeyFin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 1, 2009
    The Boys is pretty fun; I'm watching season 3 now as it comes out. It sort of reminds me of what Blue Mountain State was as a football show- it focuses on football and there's good stuff to be seen, but it's way over the top in humor and general shock value. That's what The Boys is as a superhero flick. If you like dark humor and a glimpse at how cynical/detached superheroes would eventually become, it's a lot of fun.

If you're a reader, then the Reacher books are worth the investment...great storytelling and honestly, good practical advice as well. Reacher is the ultimate nomad and not tied down to anything; not a life I'd want to live, but certainly intriguing. The author does a great job of breaking down concepts so they really drive home. Like if Reacher gets into a fight, he always drops the biggest guy by going for maximum damage with the least amount of effort. Then it explains why, how others will react, how he'll follow that natural motion to take out the 2nd guy with minimal effort, etc...almost like the psychology of fighting. I've always loved that stuff- Lee Child is a master at it.

Between the two, I'd watch Reacher 1st.

2. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I've read all but the last couple Reacher books. Was really put out about Tom Cruise buying the rights and making the movies with himself playing Reacher.

The Amazon series is a much better representation but even as big as Alan Ritchson is, you'd pretty much have to cast JJ Watt in the role to truly capture the size and strength Reacher's character possesses.

Conversely, I'd always loved James Lee Burke's "Dave Robicheaux" books and character. There's been two movies starring Alec Baldwin and Tommy Lee Jones, but neither was really right and you can't do those movies without also casting someone to play Clete. That said "Heaven's Prisoners" was the better of the two movies.

3. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020
    Watch Prey. In my opinion, it's excellent. Maybe it's because I watched it with low expectations. I was lucky enough to watch the Comanche and French language version, which I'd recommend over the casual English version I've seen in YouTube clips. I'm going to watch it again before the week is out.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.