1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official What was the last movie you saw??

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by vmarcilfan75, Apr 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. KeyFin

KeyFin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 1, 2009
    The Boys is pretty fun; I'm watching season 3 now as it comes out. It sort of reminds me of what Blue Mountain State was as a football show- it focuses on football and there's good stuff to be seen, but it's way over the top in humor and general shock value. That's what The Boys is as a superhero flick. If you like dark humor and a glimpse at how cynical/detached superheroes would eventually become, it's a lot of fun.

If you're a reader, then the Reacher books are worth the investment...great storytelling and honestly, good practical advice as well. Reacher is the ultimate nomad and not tied down to anything; not a life I'd want to live, but certainly intriguing. The author does a great job of breaking down concepts so they really drive home. Like if Reacher gets into a fight, he always drops the biggest guy by going for maximum damage with the least amount of effort. Then it explains why, how others will react, how he'll follow that natural motion to take out the 2nd guy with minimal effort, etc...almost like the psychology of fighting. I've always loved that stuff- Lee Child is a master at it.

Between the two, I'd watch Reacher 1st.

2. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I've read all but the last couple Reacher books. Was really put out about Tom Cruise buying the rights and making the movies with himself playing Reacher.

The Amazon series is a much better representation but even as big as Alan Ritchson is, you'd pretty much have to cast JJ Watt in the role to truly capture the size and strength Reacher's character possesses.

Conversely, I'd always loved James Lee Burke's "Dave Robicheaux" books and character. There's been two movies starring Alec Baldwin and Tommy Lee Jones, but neither was really right and you can't do those movies without also casting someone to play Clete. That said "Heaven's Prisoners" was the better of the two movies.

3. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020
    Watch Prey. In my opinion, it's excellent. Maybe it's because I watched it with low expectations. I was lucky enough to watch the Comanche and French language version, which I'd recommend over the casual English version I've seen in YouTube clips. I'm going to watch it again before the week is out.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  4. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Watched the Stallone film Samaritan on Prime, featuring our very own Jared Odrick! Ok film, nothing to write home about, but Odrick does a decent acting job. He certainly looks like an actor, rather that a football player doing a cameo, and will be interesting to see if he appears in other major(ish) films after it.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  5. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Watched Brad Pitt's latest movie, Bullet Train, at the weekend. Fun movie, tonnes of action and a few laughs too.

texanphinatic and Unlucky 13 like this.
  6. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Love Heavens Prisoners. Terri Hatchers ta tas, the exchanges between Roberts and Baldwin's characters and so forth.

7. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Yeah I saw it awhile back as well. Made by the same director as John Wick I believe, and there are some stylistic similarities, especially with the fighting. But it's set up as kind of a train murder mystery type thing and has a lot more comedic elements. Definitely a solid watch and quite enjoyable though.

8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Weird: The Al Yankovic Story is a fun comedy. A lot of fun cameos. Danielle Radcliff gives an excellent performance.

While enjoyable I just didn't find it laugh-out-loud funny like I did Walk Hard. Entertaining biopic, especially if you are a fan of Weird Al, which I am.

Stitches and Unlucky 13 like this.
  9. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team DeVante Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    That's good to know. I was a huge fan of Al in the 80s and 90s. I like Radcliff, but I've been having a hard time seeing him in the role.

10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    He is perfect for the role. Because it is a "serious" telling of the story. Which is a big part of the joke. If you liked the Funny Or Die Trailer that came out 10 years ago, you will like this movie. Plus it is free on Roku TV.

11. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team DeVante Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'll have to eventually catch it when its on one of the streaming services that I do.

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    you don't have to subscribe or anything to watch it. it has ads, but if you watch it on PC with ad block they don't show.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  13. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I watched Black Panther: Wakanda Forever and I have to say that is a really good movie. Angela Bassett is amazing in it. Like seriously deserves an Emmy nomination.

The movie isn't perfect, but it is really really good. I enjoyed it. I don't think I will watch it again in theaters because I think the movie is a bummer. If you recently had a loss in your life, you will probably cry multiple times in this movie. The movie is about processing loss and grief. Which I think the actors do a great job with because they are dealing with loss and grief. So many scenes felt like the director saying, "Think of what Chadwick Bozeman means to you, and no go!"

On a scale of -5 to 5, I give this movie a solid 4.

Unlucky 13 likes this.