1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***The Official World Soccer Thread***

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by first&goal, Apr 12, 2008.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Guys just a heads up, this thread's name will likely be changed to " Official World Soccer Thread" by the mods.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  2. first&goal

first&goal Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    Good point bro, is totally unnecessary. :up:

alen1 likes this.
  3. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    " Official World Soccer Thread " thats good, we can talk soccer from all the world. :ffic:

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Lol yeah I didn't know what to tell In_Flames to change the name to. Since we have talked aobut the PL, Latin America and now Italy, I thought why not world soccer lol. :ffic:

first&goal likes this.
  5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Theres no reason to bash opposing individuals because of a soccer game. I understand thats our passion and I love soccer just as much I love everything else but theres absolutely no reason to do that. Theres a reason for the famous line " all men are created equal" and its not disrespect.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  6. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    Great idea, makes a lot of sense. :up:

alen1 likes this.
  7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    :up::up:

8. quelonio

quelonio Season Ticket Holder

Nov 27, 2007
    Well Ajax is actually interesting in that they have adopted jewish symbolism despite the fact that the team does not really have jewish origins. But their fans fly stars of david and Israeli flags as part of their cheering which makes them pretty original in all that.

alen1 likes this.
  9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Thats wierd but interesting considering Ajax is dutch.

10. giovafin

giovafin Rossonero

Mar 25, 2008
    I totally agree with you bro, I'm against those so called "fans", In some countries you can't go to the stadium with your family anymore because it's too dangerous. It's really a shame.

alen1 likes this.
  11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    The sad thing is my country is like that.

12. giovafin

giovafin Rossonero

Mar 25, 2008
    Sorry to hear that, I don't like when soccer (or any other sport) is associated with violence. In my country (Mexico) is sporadic, mostly violent encounters between these "fans" outside the stadium.

13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Lucky. In Bosna, we have riots almost every other game it seems and in the end, theres at least one dead like today in Serbia which is right next to my country (theyr basically the same). We have had our clubs fans suspended for games, playing in empty stadiums. The worst thing about it is that its in the stadium while games are being played. Riots have started anywhere from the first 45 seconds in the game to about halftime.

giovafin likes this.
  14. ChrisKo

ChrisKo Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Desert
    I take great offence to that comment. We played a very attack oriented flavor of the 4-5-1 with great success back in high school. In transition and counter-attacks it basically became a 4-2-4 and worked very nicely at creating passing lanes. It honestly reminded me a lot of the triangle offense used in basketball because of the passing options that are given every time someone has the ball.

Now as far as the 4-5-1 used by the Italians, I agree that going into that crap shell defense is boring to watch. And that is coming from someone who played center defense his whole life.

15. giovafin

giovafin Rossonero

Mar 25, 2008
    Wow, Really deep stuff over there. :no:

16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah and honestly, I dont know if it will ever change because that is our culture it seems lol. We are all about passion for our clubs/country that leads to violence. As for me, I have always wanted to experience a riot and as embarrasing as this sounds, thats one of my goals in my life.

The only way I could see it change is if the government takes action in it. FIFA took action last year by banning a few teams from all competitions for a year which is sad because its the not the players fault, its ours. But those actions taken by FIFA made no impact on the fans, we still went on and raised hell at events.

Half of the time, its our fans provoking the opposing teams fans and the other half its them provoking ours. For instance in basketball games, when Bosnia or Serbia play against Greece, all hell is broken loose in the stands and there are seats flying that were attached to the asphalt. In addition, there is flares or I dont know what they exactly are to be honest with you, they are being thrown at opposing fans.

17. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Italy never puts out a 4-5-1 formation. I can't remember any game (and I watch them all including friendlies and qualifiers) where they put out a 4-5-1. and going into the shell with a 4-3-3 is the same as going into a shell with a 4-5-1. I can't stand the shell. England isn't in the Euro because of this shell. I'd go as far as saying that the England national team in the recent past has played far more boring soccer than Italy and have hidden in that shell much more often.

Other than that I agree with your post. A formation is a matter of perception. yes a team may put out a 4-5-1, but it depends on how they play (attacking, defensive, etc.)

An attacking 4-2-3-1 can sometimes be interpreted as a 4-5-1. It all depends on mentality and how many players are pressing forward. Like you said, that 4-5-1 can by a hybrid of a 4-2-4 on counter attacks or just a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-2-1.

I pay no attention to what's written on those pre-game lineup sheets. Roma is another example. They put out a 4-5-1 with Totti as the lone striker a lot and they are the most attacking team in Italy and one of the most in Europe.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
    first&goal likes this.
  18. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    Itay is not different from any othe team in Europe in the way they play, of course dipends which players you have available at the moment to install your strategy according to the team that you are play against.

19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Villa dreaming of Gunners switch

"Highly-rated Valencia striker David Villa has revealed that, should he move to England, Arsenal would be his preferred destination.

With the Spanish striker insinuating that he may call time on his career at the Mestalla over the summer there is likely to be a whole host of clubs fighting for his signature. The Valencia president (Agustin Morera) always told me he wouldn't sell me until summer 2008. If an offer comes in I'm hungry to test myself in England."

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8040188/Villa-dreaming-of-Gunners-switch

first&goal likes this.
  20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
  21. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
  22. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Speculation angers Red Devils ace

Manchester United midfielder Cristiano Ronaldo has admitted he gets angry reading constant speculation about his future. But the 23-year-old has stressed once again he is happy at Old Trafford.
    "I just don't care what the whole world seems to want to say about me or speculate about my future," he told The Sun. "I've said it a thousand times and, by now, people should realise ... I'm totally happy at United.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8040450/Speculation-angers-Red-Devils-ace

23. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    Good stuff, I always like Villa and if he really goe's in England with the Arsenal would make the tea.. m better right the way. :up:

alen1 likes this.
  24. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah I agree. I would love to see him at Arsenal but our forwards would be very crowded. RvP, Adebayor, Bendtner, Walcott (ST/Wing), Eduardo and now possibly Villa. I wonder who gets how many minutes. It would likely be starters of Villa and RvP but what about Adebayor whos having a successful year.

first&goal likes this.
  25. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    Accoring to Gazzetta dello sport and Pippo Inzaghi, the ACMilan and Barcellona are getting closer to reaching an agreement with Dinho.
    The funny thing about this deal is that personally I like Dinho and I'm happy that eventually will play for Milan, but realisticly I dont think Milan needs him, considering more important needs especially in defense and midfield....and a good goaly.

alen1 likes this.
  26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Thanks. Just a heads up, someone will eventually ask for a link from you lol so you might want to post it when you have time.

I dont know if Milan needs him. You say a more important need is the mid but can't Ronaldinho play mid? Maybe thats where they plan on playing him. Also, in the midfield they have one young player who is very talented in Yoann Gourcoff. I agree that they need to add younger talent in the defense. I also think they need a new goalie.

News from Serie A:

Serie A club Torino hires De Biasi as coach
    http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8041630/Serie-A-club-Torino-hires-De-Biasi-as-coach

Bosnian ace's versatility key to Juventus' run :up::up::up::up:

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8038256/A-stroll-through-Italy's-Serie-A

Read that article on my boy Hasan Salihamidzic today. Very proud of him.

Juventus hopes to buy striker Amauri from Palermo

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8040524/Juventus-hopes-to-buy-striker-Amauri-from-Palermo

"Juventus is likely to pay about €10 million (US$15.8 million) in cash for Amauri and include in the deal two players worth a combined €12 million (US$18.9 million), Gazzetta said. That total of €22 million (US$34.8 million) would be below the €25 million (US$45 million) that Zamparini said he wants for Amauri."

first&goal likes this.
  27. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    Good point here is the link www.gazzetta.it/calcio/

alen1 likes this.
  28. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    Who you guys think are the best 5 midfielders in the world?
    My top 5 are:
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Ronaldinho
    Kaka
    Steve Gerrard
    Frank Lampard

29. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I am not to sure about four and five but my top 3 are:

Kaka
    Ronaldo
    Gerrard

I think Ronaldinho has fallen off because of his lack of work ethic. He has become lazy and just parties all night. As for Lamps, I dont know what to make of him. Sometimes hes really impressive but at times, he seems very overrated because hes a player from England.

30. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    Good choices, you got a point about Dinho,but is only 28 and if he go to Milan I'm pretty sure that he needs to apply himself, next to Kaka and Company.
    This ACMilan team did a lot winning and thy want to keep having a strong presence at the International
    level, therefore Dinho needs to work hard and be a strong addition to the team.

31. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    C. Ronaldo
    Kaka
    De Rossi
    Gerrard
    Cambiasso

first&goal likes this.
  32. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    I really like De Rossi, you don't think that you put him a little to high? I know that he's playing constantly well and he deserve to be mentioned.

33. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    True but age shouldn't effect giving it your all. If he can provide great work ethic, than I would put him in the top three or four, otherwise I will pass on it.

first&goal likes this.
  34. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Those were in no specific order. I guess you could say that Gerrard should be ahead, but I'd take De Rossi over any holding/defensive midfielder in the world.

Guys like Gerrard, Kaka, and C. Ronaldo get all the credit for the assists and flair, but what about the guy who starts the attack, wins the ball in the midfield, and to go along with it he's got exceptional skill and shooting ability.

De Rossi = Gattuso's tackling ability, heart, and determination + Pirlo's technique

I guess that's why I included De Rossi and Cambiasso in my list. Those 2 are the best DMs in the world IMO and deserve a spot on that list.

first&goal likes this.
  35. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    You are making sense to me and I do agree with you in everything you said about De Rossi.
    I was happily surprise to see his name among the best! :up:

36. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    I'm with you! :up:

alen1 likes this.
  37. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Lawrenson fears Benitez exit

"Mark Lawrenson believes Rafael Benitez could walk away from the "everyday farce" at Liverpool even if the club win the Champions League again. The former Anfield defender believes the breakdown in trust between the Liverpool manager and chief executive Rick Parry would make it difficult for Benitez to land the players he wants in the summer transfer market."

Found this part interesting...

"It was revealed in reports this week that Parry had a hand in talks with Jurgen Klinsmann last November, along with warring co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett."

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8040934/Lawrenson-fears-Benitez-exit

first&goal likes this.
  38. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    thats interesting, I did not see this coming, nice read!

alen1 likes this.
  39. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Barcelona on the verge of an exodus

"Gianluca Zambrotta's inability to adapt to the Spanish game could see him return to Italy, with AC Milan and former club Juventus showing interest. a decent chunk of his transfer fee could go towards a deal for the highly-rated Daniel Alves, who Barca are keen to steal away from under the noses of Madrid."

Another name mentioned is Thierry Henry and Deco. There has been multiple sources that have stated that Barcelona is possibly entertaining offers for Henry. Deco will likely not receive a contract extension and will be let go.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=526295&root=europe&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1&cc=5901

Wow, looks like the club will be torn apart.

first&goal likes this.
  40. quelonio

quelonio Season Ticket Holder

Nov 27, 2007
    alen you're the man with all the news... loving this thread

alen1 likes this.