1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***The Official World Soccer Thread***

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by first&goal, Apr 12, 2008.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Wayne’s World Of Worry

"Arguments rage as to whether this season should be considered a success for the young striker. The confidence of the manager, not to mention 17 goals bagged with games left to play, seems a fair return for a player who began the campaign with a serious foot fracture and returned only to damage his ankle in a freak training ground accident.

But this does not convince some of the player’s more determined critics, who believe the passage from boy to man has stripped Rooney of the freshness and the air of invincibility that once distinguished his play and terrified Europe. Their questions remain: Does Rooney still have the nerve to fire United to a Double this year? Can he lead England out of the wilderness? Has he pushed on from the electrifying youngster who announced himself as a 16 year old in the blue of Everton?

Such is the interest in Rooney that these questions seem to have dogged him every season since his £27 million move to Old Trafford four years ago. "

http://goal.com/en-US/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=663046

2. first&goal

first&goal Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    Everybody wants Kaka, but he will stay with the ACMilan, Dinho is got written " rossonero" all over him therefore Messi he stay put in Barcellona.

alen1 likes this.
  3. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    I really think that he will go to Barcellona.

4. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    Is going to be interesting to see where Berbatov will play next season.

alen1 likes this.
  5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I agree.

6. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    Berlusconi loves Sheva and he wants the fans to forgive him.....and you can bet that Sheva he's going to play with ACMilan next season.

7. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I'd love to see Sheva return. Heck, I'd love to see Sheva on any team where he's give a chance to play first-team ball.

This guy was awesome for AC Milan, brought into a Chelsea team and expected to mesh in right away. He got caught in a battle with a surging in-form Drogba and was moved to an outside position (same position as Messi plays with Barca). The only problem....Sheva is a striker, a force in the box, in the middle and was pushed to the outside where he's not even close to as effective. Drogba's magnificent run of form killed any chance he had of returning to the middle and ever since he hardly sees any time on the field.

He needs out of Chelsea and back to a team where he's the guy and I garuntee that we'll see the real Sheva for at least another year or 2. Here's to hoping Berlusconi and Galliani do the right thing

first&goal likes this.
  8. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    Toni wants Gattuso to fallow him in Germany, with the Bayern Munich, but I don't think that ACMilan will let him go. Gattuso did play a pivotal role in the Milan accomplisment during the last decade, also is one the fans favorite, non necceseraly for he's tecnical ability, but because is an incredibile hard working player.

giovafin likes this.
  9. giovafin

giovafin Rossonero

Mar 25, 2008
    I'm with you bro, obviously the Rossoneri are ageing and Gattuso could make way for a younger player that's for sure, but I think he still have something to give for Milan, IMO he's not the best player technically out there, but defensively he shuts down whatever comes to him, with more guts and heart than technique. I agree, he should stay.

first&goal likes this.
  10. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    Most definately Milan needs to get younger and bringing in a new player probably would be the best thing in the long run for the team, but Gattuso is the soul of this team, I just don't think that Berlusconi, Galliani or Ancellotti would let him go .

11. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    agreed.

Of the aged that need to go:

Favalli
    I hate to say it, but, Maldini is no longer a first team footballer for a club of AC Milan's standards. It's time to hang 'em up Paolo. You'll forever be the greatest defender ever.
    Serginho
    Gilardino: Not old, but this guy is awful. Never gets the big goal and doesn't get the easy goal either. IMO, this was AC Milan's biggest mistake coming into the 07-08 season: Relying on a striker trio of Gilardino (who stinks) Pippo Inzaghi (great sub, great for spot starts, but not an every game starter) and Ronaldo (who hasn't strung 3 games together without injury in about 3 years and has only done so a handful of times the past 6 years). They needed to get a striker in the offseason and failed to do so. Let's hope they don't make the same mistake again. #1 priority in the summer market. (Pato is supporter of the striker and Paloschi is still too young and unpolished)
    Brocchi: They need a better sub than this. Depth was certainly a problem this year and people harped on the age issue. Any team will look old without depth, and Brocchi on the bench is not enough.
    Kaladze: It's time to go for the Georgian. Had a tough year. Was solid a few years ago, but looks overmatched way to often.
    Simic: Seriously, if Oddo goes down, Milan turns to Simic. Useless on the right wing pushing forward and that's the name of Milan's game.

In conclusion: Although people pawn all Milan's problems off to age, I think it's more of a depth issue. Like i said above, even the youngest teams will look OLD if you have no depth. 3 games a week ain't easy. That's why teams like Inter, Juve (2-5 years ago), ManU, Chelsea, are always at the top....DEPTH

first&goal likes this.
  12. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    Great post Bro and totally agree with everything.
    Maldini was probably one of the best defender ever, but I agree with you, is time for him to go at the bar and having a nice espresso, no more soccer.
    Serginho, I really never liked him, time to go.
    Gilardino is a different story, I do believe that if traded he would be a better soccer player then what we are witnessing with the Milan.
    Kaladze and Simic both are over the hill.
    But mostly important I believe that Milan doesn't have a good bench, no depth.
    I was reading in the Gazzetta today, about an interview with Berlusconi and he did hint that Milan will bring him a "big name" striker " un bomber da sfondamento " when ask who he was, he did not disclose the name.....interesting.

Eop05 likes this.
  13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Expect Sheva and possibly Drogba. Drogba's name has been mentioned in the past with AC.

14. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Yeah, Milan will do something I'm sure of it. They learned their lesson this year.

The Serie A is gonna be awesome next year. I really think it's gonna be up for grabs amongst the big 4 (juve roma inter and milan). Milan and Juve will bolster their squads to match up with Roma and Inter. And we got the Euro to keep us occupied this summer..........I get giddy just thinkin about it.

first&goal likes this.
  15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    :yes:

16. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    You are right, I can't wait for next year! :up:

17. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Player accused of sexual impropriety gets suspended

"THUN, Switzerland (AP) - Swiss club FC Thun has suspended one of its players accused of having sexual relations with a minor.

The club did not name the player in a statement issued Friday, but Swiss tabloid Blick identified him by the initials "O.F." and said he was a Senegalese national. The club could not be reached for comment on the report."

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8047958/Player-accused-of-sexual-impropriety-gets-suspended

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Juventus to play exhibition in Australia

"MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Italian Serie A club Juventus will play the Melbourne Victory in a friendly match on May 30, the Australian A-League team said Friday."

"Juventus to Italy are like Manchester United to the United Kingdom, they are one of the all-time great clubs in the world," Lord said. "We are hopeful it is a major spectacle and a major sporting event for the whole of Melbourne."

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8047540/Juventus-to-play-exhibition-in-Australia

first&goal likes this.
  19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Ramos: I know who is leaving Lane

"Tottenham manager Juande Ramos has revealed he has already made up his mind over which players he wants to keep at White Hart Lane this summer.

Ramos has been assessing his squad since the Carling Cup victory, which effectively ended their campaign by sealing UEFA Cup football for next season.

His players may have been talking about performing for their futures, but Ramos said: "After five or six months here I know the squad really well and what they are capable of.

"I'm not going to discover now anything new about a group of players I have been with for a long time and know perfectly well."

It means out-of-favour players may have to do something extraordinary to catch Ramos' eye in the last four games of the season, starting with the trip to Wigan on Saturday."

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8048460/Ramos:-I-know-who-is-leaving-Lane

20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Arsenal would love Amauri - Agent :up: :yes:

Amauri's agent has confirmed that Arsenal have joined the race to sign the highly-rated striker, who looks set to quit Palermo this summer.

Italian sources claimed earlier this week that the Brazilian-born frontman has been offered more than £60,000-per-week to move to Emirates Stadium.

Juventus had been leading the race to land the 27-year-old, ahead of Real Madrid and Liverpool - who have also made offers for the player.

But now Arsenal have made a late bid to land the striker - who Palermo value at £19million (25million euros)."

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8048156/Arsenal-would-love-Amauri---Agent

first&goal likes this.
  21. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
  22. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Benitez committed to Liverpool

"Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has re-affirmed his commitment to the Reds at the end of another week of boardroom upheaval at Anfield.

But he was keen to point out: "At this moment I have two years of my contract still to go, I am really pleased and really happy here. And I want to stay. And I want to stay for a long time."

Asked if he had spoken to Hicks, Gillett or Parry, Benitez said: "I do not need to talk to them, I need to talk with my staff and my players."

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8048316/Benitez-committed-to-Liverpool

first&goal likes this.
  23. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
  24. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Manchester United agree new deals for top trio

"MANCHESTER, England, April 18 (Reuters) - Manchester United defenders Rio Ferdinand and Wes Brown and midfielder Michael Carrick have agreed new contracts at Old Trafford, manager Alex Ferguson said on Friday."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=526721&cc=5901

25. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Keegan hopeful Toon can agree new Owen deal

Kevin Keegan will head into this weekend's derby clash with Sunderland confident Michael Owen is ready to commit himself to Newcastle United. The 28-year-old England striker is out of contract on Tyneside at the end of next season, and manager Keegan has made his retention a priority."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=526852&cc=5901

26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
  27. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Wenger has worst week in 12 years with Arsenal

LONDON, April 18 (Reuters) - Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said on Friday he had suffered his worst week in nearly 12 years at the club after seeing his Premier League and Champions League challenges end just days apart.

Wenger, who took over at the north London club in September 1996, said he and his squad had felt shattered by Sunday's 2-1 defeat by Manchester United at Old Trafford, just five days after being eliminated from the Champions League by Liverpool.

:sad:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=526924&cc=5901

first&goal likes this.
  28. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Out of Africa

"Football legend John Barnes was one of the many pioneering black footballers that forced the English game to confront racism in the 1980's as he tore opposition defences apart with Watford and Liverpool during a trophy-laden club career. He is currently working as a TV broadcaster, a scout in the Caribbean for Sunderland and in his latest role is helping to promote football in some of the poorest countries in Africa. Having travelled all over the continent Barnes is well placed to voice his opinion on African football and he believes it is high time that East Africa matched the achievements of their illustrious neighbours.

He is doing his bit to make that happen with charitable campaign ' Score Ethiopa' - which aims to promote football and build better facilities in the country's poorest areas - and Barnes believes the talent will come through if they can just be given a chance."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=526798&root=global&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1&cc=5901

Nice article. I personally am a fan of all African soccer players. Ivory Coast is my favorite African team. Also, Nigeria U-17 or 21 (Can't remember) team.

29. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Sergio Ramos Upset With Lack Of Support From Colleagues

"The young-right back told Marca that he was surprised to receive little encouragement or support after he was sent off a fortnight ago.

He said, "In truth, I was surprised not to hear any of my partners, or anyone from the club, say anything about the issue. But, that's the way it is and we need to deal with it.

"I don't expect anything from anyone. I'm happy with myself and I'm just trying to learn.

"Nobody is stupid and everyone knows very well what I mean. I felt a bit alone, but now it's time to look forward."

http://goal.com/en-US/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=664444

30. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Inter Moving In On Diego - Report

"Talk in the Italian press has intensified in recent days that Diego is set to move to the Nerazzurri this summer.

Inter have identified a creative centre midfielder as one of their main transfer targets, and believe that the Brazilian can help them make a big impact in the Champions League.

Controcampo says that Diego’s father and agent has been sneakily declaring in the press that Real Madrid and Juventus are interested in signing his son, so that Inter would have free reign to negotiate a transfer for themselves.

Massimo Moratti, who is also expected to drop out of the race to sign Ronaldinho, is prepared to meet Werder Bremen’s asking price of €30m.

Diego has had a wonderful season in the German Bundesliga, and is his side’s top-scorer with 13 goals.

The 23-year-old is also a regular in the Brazil national team, and has won 34 caps, scoring six goals."

http://goal.com/en-US/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=664414

Wow could be a big signing.

first&goal likes this.
  31. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Legend Maldini’s Career Over?

"AC Milan legend Paolo Maldini may have played his last-ever game after he picked up an injury in training that looks likely to rule him out for the rest of the season."

"The 39-year-old has announced that he will be hanging up his boots at the end of the campaign, following almost a quarter-of-a-century at the very top.

However it seems as if Maldini may have already played his last-ever game after he picked up a left thigh injury during training yesterday.

Tests have revealed that the damage done is reasonably severe, and it is expected that the defender will miss the final five games of the campaign.

Maldini has stated recently that he was considering overturning his decision to retire for another year, however the widespread belief is that this will not happen."

http://goal.com/en-US/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=664380

I hope not :cry:. I want to see him continue playing.

first&goal likes this.
  32. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Arsenal Linked With Turkish Wonderkid :up: :yes:

"Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf has revealed that Arsenal are said to be on the trail of Feyenoord loanee Nuri Şahin"

"Şahin, a 19-year-old Turk, is owned by Borussia Dortmund, with whom he became the youngest ever Bundesliga player when he made his first-team debut back in August 2005.

Since then, the German-born midfielder has gone from strength to strength, winning international recognition with the Crescent-Stars of Turkey.

At the moment he has a one-year rolling contract with BVB, with the German side having previously allegedly turned down a €3m bid from the Gunners for the young talent.

His stock has only risen since then, so much so that it may in fact cost €10m for Wenger to land a player who is somewhat inaccurately being dubbed by some of the more excitable media outlets as "the next Cristiano Ronaldo."

http://goal.com/en-US/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=664390

first&goal likes this.
  33. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    That's nice, for La vecchia Signora to get exposure in Australia!

34. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    I really believe that Amauri will play for Juve next year, I'm rember reading that he's very happy having Juventus wanting him.

35. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    Interesting! :)

36. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    Lol Moratti is a dreamer he never had a chance to sign Dinho, what a joke!.

37. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    I need to find out more about this young player, if Arsenal wants him, he must be good.

38. first&goal

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    To bad!
    Thank you Maldini!

39. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Amen to that. Maldini will be a legend forever.

40. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    [media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=6sutednH_-U[/media]

Nuri Sahin. Great young winger. I hope we get him :up:

first&goal likes this.