1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***The Official World Soccer Thread***

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by first&goal, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Tell ya, looking at the French roster... holy moly, they are loaded.

2. ticophin

ticophin Junior Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Costa Rica
    Yes they are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    How about Croatia's midfield. Can't believe they barely qualified.

4. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    The URU v MEX game last night was solid. Best game of the Copa so far... by far. Crazy game. Looks like Mexico is a lock to get to the semis at least. Shame about Jamaica. Was expecting more... I thought their red card was a bit harsh. Yellow, okay. Straight red for kicking the ball with a high foot? Cmon.

Brazil still has a ways to go. Coutinho and William their best players so far in this tourney. They are at their best when their fullbacks can get forward. Didn't see enough of that.

I certainly expect better games when we get into the Euros later this week. I'm also not sold on field turf here.

5. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    can't wait to see Croatia v Turkey again

6. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Yeah, they had a hell of a game back in '08.

7. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    hmm.. no comments about the US win last night, 4-0 over Costa Rica? Seems like a lot of people jumped off the bandwagon this year. I think they now have a shot to finish second in the group if they can get a result vs Paraguay. Certainly exceeding my expectations (I had them finishing last in the group :lol:). But we should give credit where credit is due. A "penalty" call really affected that game. As it looked like Costa Rica was controlling the minutes prior to that call. JK safe for another game I guess... although I think his job is on the line vs Paraguay still.

8. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    http://www.espnfc.us/england/story/...r-gas-at-england-fans-for-second-straight-day

:sidelol:

9. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    #gutted But it is only one game that they dominated for 89 minutes.

10. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    See the Russian fans shoot a flare towards the England fans? And how did security let a flare gun get into the stadium... Not that ISIS needs to do anything, the hooligans are doing a pretty good job beating and bloodying each other and sending people running through the streets. But it still sends an odd message to everyone about security.

What is with the violence? I mean, its just a game. I know its nothing new but it seems even larger now. Or maybe that's just because of social media that it seems worse than the past. Though eastern european countries like Russia weren't exactly known for soccer until recently either. Not that the western ones are innocent...but I guess it just adds onto the number of hooligans.

11. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    #HappyRelief Thought they might have been content after tying it up, but thankfully Sturridge got the three points. I was going to be sick at half time though down 0-1. Violently ill. Obviously lineup changes should continue into the Slovakia game. Sturridge has to start. Sterling should be nowhere near the field. Kane doesn't look right. Alli was a little off as well but I think he stays in the 11. Vardy/Sturridge/Lallana should be your front three if you are staying 4-3-3. With Rooney/Dier/Alli in the mid... although you could drop Lallana into Alli's spot. But then who do you put as the third forward? I think it's too early to start Rashford. He's better coming off the bench.

12. 407PhinFan

407PhinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 20, 2011
    USA has a strong chance tonight V Ecuador. Both teams are similarly ranked, and apart from a few mental errors and a stretch of bad soccer, the USMNT has played very well. Seattle should be a vibrant atmosphere for us.

13. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Good match tonight for US. Dempsey playing possessed. I think tournaments (6 or 7 games depending on how many teams are in it), are doable for older players like a Dempsey. They've exceeded many expectations at this point. Probably going to have to play Argentina (assuming they beat Cinderella Venezuela). And without Wood, Bedoya and Jones. That's a tall ask even if all three are in the lineup. They'll miss Wood the most. His ability on the break is pretty solid as we saw today.

14. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Watching that Chile v Mexico match and a football game broke out :lol: Chile won by a touchdown.

15. 407PhinFan

407PhinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 20, 2011
    That was insane. It was a joke how quickly and easily Chile cut through the Mexican defense. They made it look so easy... It seemed like a pro team playing against a bunch of amateurs at a local field.

16. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Are we about to get bent over a barrel and shown the fifty States?

17. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    USMNT-Argentina is like Mexico-USWNT... Maybe they give a challenge here or there but it's mostly a wrap before the game even starts.

I mean Argentina were always going to win, but the US can't even string together passes. Expected them to at least get some shots off. Even Venezuela was able to do that. Maybe in the last half hour...

18. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Copa final is set... and they've got the two best sides in tourney going at it... it should be fun to watch although I'd expect Argentina to win, given the form Messi is now in (compared to him not playing in their first matchup of the tournament). There will be a third place match between the US and Colombia. It'll be interesting to see who is in the lineup for each side and how seriously they take it. Generally these third place matches are more like exhibition games, unless you get a side that has out performed their standing (like the US). Wanting to win the 3rd place as if it means anything.

19. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    The EURO knockout phase is set. Some great Rof16 matchups.

The upper half has:

Germany v Slovakia
    Italy v Spain **
    France v Ireland **
    England v Iceland

The lower half has:

Wales v N. Ireland
    Hungary v Belgium **
    Switzerland v Poland
    Croatia v Portugal **

Bolded are who I like... ** are games that should be quality matchups for neutrals. ie.. worth watching... think the semis will be Belgium v Croatia and Germany v.... England (not very confident though :lol:). Could be looking at Croatia v Germany in the final.

20. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Shaqiri of switzerland. Holy **** what a goal

21. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    as always....the 3 lions choke on the big stage....bye bye england....lol

22. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Doesnt even qualify as a choke job. No expectations under Hodgson. Should have been fired after the world cup. Moronic.

23. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    paul make no mistake about, after greece won the euro or even denmark in 92, this is one of the biggest flops ever in the last 20 years

24. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    It's really not... England have made one semi in the last what... 30 years? France lost to Senegal... I believe when they were the defending champions...THAT was a choke job. And then their team imploded with talks of player strikes and what not. Argentina was a defending champion when they lost to Cameroon at the 90 WC. England have this team that can look good on paper... but that's just it. Without a manager to keep them in check, they are nothing. Hodgson at LFC was AWFUL....

I should have known better when I saw the starting lineup today and Lallana wasn't in it (But Sterling was). Good thing LFC fleeced Man C before he developed into a wet fart. Lallana, I thought, had been their best player the first three games. He didn't get on the score sheet, but he played with heart, determination, fire... all three lacking today. And what the **** was up with Rooney today? He should have been pulled out of that game by the 60th minute. His pass success rate was abysmal. I honestly think they packed it in on purpose... to get a new manager. But half those players shouldn't be allowed back in an international uniform... Hart for sure. Rooney should retire. Kane can go **** off. There's no way you can tell me that Italian side is better than England if Conte is cloned and able to coach both teams.

25. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Wales beat Belgium 3-1 to make the semi's, which will be against a Portugal team that hasn't looked at it's best all tournament. Leicester City winning the EPL, can Wales create as big a shock and win the Euros?!

26. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    your mistake is, you makes this about england and their struggles in the past.....that didn´t mean anything for this game, they played a tremendous underdog in freaking ICELAND....thats why it goes down as one of the biggest surprises in european championships ever

27. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Not having Ramsey is going to be a big loss. Would love it if they beat Portugal though

28. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I guess I see a difference between choking and getting upset. You mentioned choking. Semantics I guess. Doesn't matter. They sucked. and the one good thing is that it expedited Hodgson's release.... he should never have been retained after Brazil 2014.

29. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    shame about Germany Alex :tongue2:

30. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i can live with a loss....if the other team played better...which they clearly did not...still sucks

31. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    well they got their comeuppance. :lol: Portugal played about as ugly of a championship title run as you could have. Their game vs Hungary was the only saving grace. And that 3-3 tie got them into the knockout stages.

32. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    USMNT losing to Mexico on Friday night is in a word disastrous. Coming out in a 3-5-2, well actually a 3-4-3, to start the game is extremely odd by Klinsmann. Perhaps it's an attempt to get himself fired, I don't know. What I do know is that they didn't have the talent in MF to run that formation. And you saw what a switch to a more comfortable 4-4-2 did in the second half. Which all for a botched corner kick by Altidore on Marquez (who headed home the game winner), perhaps we're having a different discussion here today. As it stands, that is the first loss at home in a WCQ since 2001. Those fans in Columbus (amazing by the way) deserved better.

No secret that I don't think Michael Bradley should be anywhere near this team. I just think he's extremely overrated. Against sub average teams, sure he's okay. But against some form of quality, he is a disaster. Jones is slightly better... slightly. Altidore... well past his prime. These three players should retire from int'l soccer immediately and it's time for new blood across the board. It's time for the national team to let players develop... at the highest level. There may be some moments where the team suffers... but that's in the short term. For this team to take that next step, this turnover has to happen. These players aren't going to ascend any further than they have. And where they have been is not good enough. I'm intrigued by Pulisic (so is Liverpool, he's on their radar, has been since the summer). I think Wood has some quality to his game. Fabian Johnson is a good player. And the defensive nucleus is fairly solid. There's something to build from there. And if Klinsmann can't realize that and clear the aging vets, it's time for him to go clearly.

33. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    hah.. didn't even know Klinsmann had been fired. About bloody time. Looks like Bruce Arena is back for this WC cycle.. I'll be expecting my call shortly as I've taken my son's team to the regional playoffs this Saturday. First year of coaching. #crownme

34. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    anybody watching the FIFA World Cup for U20? I've seen the England and US games thus far. That England OG was historically awful. Klinsmann (the goalie for US) is off the hook for worst mistake of the tourney. It does amaze me though how much energy these guys have for 90 minutes. More than their older counterparts.

35. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    US fails to qualify for WC for first time since 1986. Have no fear though. The next generation of mens soccer is right around the corner. The U17 WC is currently being played and the US team is quite good. They also did pretty well back in June at the U20 WC made it to the quarter finals.

To add the MLS has never been stronger. If there is a WC to miss, timing wise, this was it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  36. joefootball

joefootball Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    So Paul, if you had to make up a "Team" for the next cycle, Olympics and WC, from Soccer federation head, to head coach to coaching staff, on down to players at positions, who would you choose for the US Team? Sweep out the old guard.

37. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Well, if I'm being honest here, I don't know enough about the inner workings of the US Soccer Federation. I can see who they are by doing a quick google search, but I have no idea how effective they are (the CEO, President and EVP).

I think Tab Ramos has done a fine job at the youth program. I'd immediately promote him to be the coach. And I'm sure he'd bring along guys he's worked with before, Brad Friedel for example. These guys have a connection with the next generation. So why not use that to promote the turnover that is going to happen.

Players that need to retire from international soccer immediately (they should have done it when they lost to Mexico at home last fall):

Michael Bradley (30)
    Jozy Altidore (27)
    Clint Demspey (34)
    Tim Howard (38)

Thank you for your service... and good bye.

Really anyone that is over 26 shouldn't be playing in the next cycle unless a major exception exists. ex. Fabian Johnson

You've got to build a youth movement around Christian Pulisic. He's the best player I've seen in a US jersey, period. And he's 19. Really, keepers from the current US squad for me are:

Yedlin (24)
    Gonzalez (28)... yeah that OG was brutal
    Besler (30)... bit on the fence, but I'd keep him around for a little bit. It's okay to have experience at CB.
    Nagbe (27)
    Arriola (22) *
    Acosta (22) *really like both of these players
    Wood (24)

Players that I've seen at the recent U20 WC that impressed the hell out of me...

Josh Sargent of course, striker... red head... seems to be the next star in the making
    Erik Palmer-Brown, he was the team captain.
    Brooks Lennon, good wide player with pace
    Cameron Carter-Vickers, very strong like Palmer-Brown
    Luca De La Torre, creative midfielder.

Some guys from the U17 team currently playing that look really good...
    Ayo Akinola
    Chris Durkin
    Tim Weah (might have heard of his father, George), Tim is on the PSG youth team

That's a decent start to something that will take time to turn around.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  38. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    What an embarrassment.

Pretty surprising to see the team look so absolutely lifeless after the strong game in Orlando I attended last Friday.

upload_2017-10-11_12-3-11.jpeg

Aqua4Ever04 and Paul 13 like this.
  39. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    To add. I think a guy like Ramos can teach the young guys what he went thru and what it means to represent his country, the best country in the world. I think that can get lost on players especially when they are playing for overseas clubs.

joefootball likes this.
  40. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I feel like we've heard that before, though, with regards to the youth teams looking good. I think the entire program needs an overhaul Sunil Gulati has done a terrible job with it, and if this doesn't get him out I'm not sure what will. I also think they need a real world class coach. Arena is the status quo, and might have some success, but will never push this team to the next level. I'm not sure who will, but they need to find him.

They need a completely new approach to how the game is treated at the youth levels, though. The US won't win with the plodding style they've always played. Accepting that as "the American way" is accepting never challenging on the world stage. Skilled play HAS to be taught to kids.

I agree completely on Pulisic. The guy is world class, and he's so young. After so many guys we thought would be that transcendent young player and weren't, this guy appears like the real deal. Ideally you need to find more of them, though. The athletes are here, obviously. They just need to figure out how to get them to play soccer.