1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***The Official World Soccer Thread***

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by first&goal, Apr 12, 2008.

1. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Good.

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    The "president's" hostage scores a goal for them. What a farce. You and Costa are a disgrace.

3. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    So we have the Reds versus the Blues on Tuesday and the Three Lions versus the Fighting Tablecloths on Wednesday!

4. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    An old English teammate invited me out to a watch party Wednesday at his sister’s house. They’ve built an English pub in their backyard!

Paul 13 likes this.
  5. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    Sacre bleu!

6. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I think Belgium were a major disappointment today. Lukaku especially. You do have to give credit to France and their 2 CB's plus Pogba and Kante. Varane and Umtiti were mostly good vs Lukaku. If England makes it thru, they'll need to do better with Kane vs those two. That might be the game you go with two forwards up top, bring in Rashford to play close to Kane rather than Sterling who should play wide to stretch their D. Lukaku closed out all game I thought.

It was a defensive struggle. ENG vs CRO may be the same way. If you're a neutral, you might not enjoy that. Gonna be a nail biter either way.

finattic79 likes this.
  7. Surfs Up 99

Surfs Up 99 Team Flores & Team Tua

May 5, 2016
    Good luck today, England!

Paul 13 and Phin McCool like this.
  8. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Well it wasn't meant to be for England, not this world cup. It's not their time yet. But it was a tremendous effort and it will be a fantastic learning experience at this level. They have a young team that will only get better the next 8 year cycle. I'm looking forward to that.

Some obvious mistakes at the back cost them both goals. Credit Croatia for never giving up. Their energy has been amazing. Perisic today was absurd. Hope for a quality final. Hate to see either team win it from my perspective. I don't like France... as in EVER. I suppose I will root for Croatia but it will be tough having lost this one.

Belgium vs England part 2, with the subs again? oh boy. Like the first version was so memorable.

finattic79 and GARDENHEAD like this.
  9. Surfs Up 99

May 5, 2016
    Dude, can you explain what happened? The guys covering the game only told us who had the ball, but didn't really go into what was happening or why.
    I only watch the World Cup, so I really don't know either, but it looked to me like England played defense all night and after some great defensive headers and the like, the dam started to break. Their offense wasn't much, so it didn't take any of the pressure off. I think it would be easy to blame Walker. Maybe it is justified, I don't know, but was it a coincidence that they went at him a lot? He seemed to be exhausted at the 2nd half and started making mistakes that should have cost them more points. I also couldn't tell if Croatia is a dirty team or just wanted it more than England. They sure were the more physical team.

10. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    There is a very common soccer\football theme when a team scores early, but fails at a number of chances to stretch their lead with another goal. It pretty much almost always comes back to haunt them. Watching the game, you could almost feel it coming in the first 20 minutes.

More analytically: The back 3 played well the whole tournament but it gave up the outside and Croatia kept crossing, with little pressure on the ball, until it paid off. England also lacks a real offensive playmaker, which required Kane to come back and get the ball too much, as opposed to getting good service.

Surfs Up 99 likes this.
  11. Surfs Up 99

May 5, 2016
    Thanks for the insight. I am guessing some people are still pissed off to talk about it. I know, I would be. Who are you pulling for in the final? I am leaning towards Croatia.

12. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I think if you look at the two goals, they were eventually let in on defensive mistakes. But it really was about the team getting tired and not reacting properly. Whether that be physical or mental, I'm not sure. Croatia certainly were the more mentally and physically fit team. It really reminded me of England's loss to Brazil back in the 2002 (?) World Cup. Owen scores early in the game. England takes the lead. And we're defending the rest of the game. When the Brazilians eventually tied the game, we couldn't react and play positive. It was similar. England scores very early on the Trippier FK. Although we had plenty of opportunities to get a second and failed. I don't think we packed it in.

Croatia's first goal, there was an attack on the left side first. And then it was pulled back and a big cross field pass to Vrsalkjo on the right flank who crossed into the box. That was a quick switch that the defense didn't react to. They didn't pick up Perisic who came inside of two defenders to get his foot on the ball. Now, it definitely was a high foot there, but the ref isn't going to call it. I mean his foot went above Walker's head (he actually makes contact on Walker). His foot is above his sternum, in the area of Walker's head. That's dangerous play for me.

Croatia's game deciding goal. Mandzukic reacts first to a perfect knock down by Perisic (Man of the match for me). Certainly some gamesmanship there by Mandzukic as he was a few moments earlier rolling around on the ground looking for a red card/penalty on Pickford's challenge/save. On a macro level, Croatia got better on the 50/50 balls throughout the game. And that helps you build momentum. It's the same in any sport. Basketball, hockey. Those situations where either team can get to the ball/puck, but the first one there always seems to be the same team.

For me, I would have put Dier on earlier to help control the midfield with Henderson. But supposedly Hendo had a hamstring issue at the end (he was instead replaced by Dier). I would have put another holding MF in alongside Dier then. I would have put Loftus Cheek in as well to help beef up our attacking midfield and get stronger possession in better more advanced areas. He'd been a threat when he'd been given a chance earlier in the tournament. Alli and Lingard weren't both needed on the field midway thru the second half, still up 1-0. I think Southgate, for all the praise he's received, could have done better in these areas. The knock on him that I've heard, is that he isn't a strategic manager. That he doesn't have enough options that he can go to because he only thinks set plays or open play style.

Hopefully he is in close contact with the youth coaches and they are all on the same page as they develop the national team strategy moving forward.

Surfs Up 99 likes this.
  13. Surfs Up 99

May 5, 2016
    Thanks for helping me understand. I think when the season rolls around, I am going to try and catch a few games on TV of English football. Who is it that everyone follows around here, Liverpool?

14. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    England's big lack was still a real playmaker. And for all the stick that Sterling got, the offense died when he went off. I didn't think Rashford was very effective in his dribbling, didn't have the pace to stretch the defense that Sterling has, and I have no idea why they picked him for free kicks and dead balls, because his service was rubbish..

15. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Well I don't know if we all follow Liverpool, I and a few others in the Liverpool thread certainly do :wink2:

Surfs Up 99 likes this.
  16. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    This is why I'm really interested in the future of the young players such as Phil Foden and Jadon Sancho. This are two guys that can take people one on one, create in space, run off the ball and can finish. Will do it all. They just need to bulk up and get stronger to play at the senior level. "just".... Sterling can do that, as we've seen, but his finishing is lacking. These two don't have that problem.

I think Danny Rose, when he came on, got wide and put some effective balls into the box with his left. He probably should have been taking those free kicks. I was disappointed with Dele Alli and Jesse Lingard in the second half and ET of that game. They were ineffective offensively and weren't quick enough on the defensive side to mark up properly in their own half. I think having them both on at the same time is not ideal. They are similar players in that 10 role.

I also think Kane got tired and wasn't pressing the back line of Croatia like he should have been. When he gets tired he drops in and also wants to play the 10 role. So you essentially had three players now taking up the same area of the field with Vardy/Rashford trying to create havoc (I guess). Just not enough quick passing and changing angles at that stage to get quality crosses into the box.

17. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Neymar should change his name to Meme-ar... or Memar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  18. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Felt like the real final was France and Belgium.

I don’t see Croatia having anything for France.

19. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Croatia put up a damn good fight. They had some unlucky plays but France was just better as well.

20. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Is Griezmann a Fins' fan?

It looked like he did "Fins up" after his goal...:tongue2:

21. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Yeah I think Croatia was actually the more attractive team in terms of their play and their possession on the ball. France's first two goals were questionable calls by the ref. Griezmann's dive setup the fk that setup the og. And the pen was a bit harsh. VAR is going to change the way we call hand balls I guess. Need to revisit that.

22. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
  23. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
  24. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Griezmann's dive set up first goal but that's soccer and is a part of the game now. See Ronaldo vs. Spain - set up a PK. The penalty had to have been called. As unintentional as it was, the arm was extended away from the body and the ball was going towards the goal. It is a penalty. That being said, Croatia played much better overall in the first half, and seemed to lose their steam in the second.

I honestly thought they'd tie it back at 2 a piece until I realized they don't have a goalie. Both goals Croatian goalie was frozen. For Pogba's, he was moving to the side of the net that Pogba couldn't realistically hit because two players were blocking the lane, and when Pogba shot where 9/10 players would aim in that situation, he was way out of position and a spectator. Mbappe's goal is the same thing. Frozen. He plants his feet too early or something, but unacceptable not even making an attempt from either of those distances in my opinion. For as many PKs that he saved, he was definitely off the mark in the finals. After that, game over.

25. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    I wonder if he was effected by the leg injury he had last game.

26. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Could be, but if so you have to seriously critique the coach for playing half a goalie or the back up goalie himself. Is he that bad that they decided to play an injured player ahead of him? Also, the hammy didn't bother him in England shoot outs. Didn't seem too bothered by it against France but we'll never know.

If he was playing through and masking his injury you have to applaud the grit and dedication but if he wasn't transparent with the coaching and training staff he seriously compromised their ability to beat France.

27. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    What a performance...Bayern destroys Barcelona 8:2....so proud of my team

28. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    I'm looking forward to the final tonight, really hope Bayern win as I can't stand Neymar and his diving antics. Plus with PSG basically being owned by and a plaything of the Qatar state. I love Mbappe as a player though and even although I hate Neymar he and Mbappe will prove a real threat to Bayern, who aren't the best defensively. But with the likes of Lewandowski and Gnabry at the other end, and with the amount of chances the whole team creates, they don't really need to be!

Should be a cracker of a game, and hard to imagine it not having a lot of goals in it...but usually when you think that, it ends up 0-0 and a penalty shootout!

29. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Not meaning to bump an old thread but I figured this was the best place to post my thoughts regarding the 2023 U20 Mens World Cup. We're on the verge of the final group games. I haven't seen every game. I have watched England, United States (1 game v Slovakia) and a little of Brazil. I'm only able to watch the games on Fox Sports 2 (don't have Fox Sports Plus), hence the limitation. I'm hoping they will show all the elimination games where the fun really starts. I've been impressed by the USA! Only the one game, but wow. The future of soccer is in great hands here. Most impressed by Gabriel Slonina (Chelsea), goalkeeper, Joshua Wynder (Louisville FC, Centre Back, Brandan Craig (Philadelphia Union), Centre Back, Caleb Wiley (Atlanta United FC), Left Back, Diego Luna (Real Salt Lake City), CAM, and last but certainly not least, Cade Cowell (San Jose Earthquakes), LW. What a player Cowell is, wow.

Brazil, really liked what I saw from Savio (he's with PSV Eindhoven)

For England, Ronnie Edwards, Jarell Quansah, Darko Gyabi, Alex Scott have impressed the most. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the US win the whole thing (from what I've seen)...

30. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Messi is moving to the MLS and Inter Miami after leaving PSG. Huge news for the MLS, probably the best player to ever move to the league. I'm just glad he's not moving to Saudi.

Paul 13 and Lloyd Heilbrunn like this.
  31. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    The source of the report:

32. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    So, I got to see Messi score live last night![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Twice!

Happy to add him to the list of Famous soccer players that I have seen play live...

Tone_E and Paul 13 like this.
  33. M1NDCRlME

M1NDCRlME Fear The Spear

Oct 26, 2009
    Orlando
    I've grown tired of him already. He should have been sent of for a second yellow against Orlando but we all know they are going to protect their cash cow. We all know that the MLS is a second rate league but they want to act like it some great accomplishment for one of the greatest of all time to score goals in this dump of a league.

34. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Bellingham looking good at Real. Wanted him on Milan, but that was always a pipe dream. Going to be fun following his career in Span.

35. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    Moving this convo from the Club Level at the request of the Moderator.

This is just false. There was women's soccer in Europe before 1900 and it became very popular in the 1920s. After a "ban" for many years the women's FA in England was started in 1969. There was a Woman's World Cup in 1970 and another in 1971. The US did not field a team. Women's soccer was not a big thing in the US int he 1970s at all -- UNC, the dominant women's soccer program in the US for the last 4 decades, didn't have a team until 1979. The US Women's National Team didn't exist until 1985. Ask indicated women were playing competitive soccer in Europe and other countries long before that.

This is a HUGE stretch. The USWNT won the 2019 World Cup in dominating fashion. That was just 4 years ago. They then won the 2020 CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Tournament and the 2020 SheBelieves Cup. That was 3 years ago. That was all part of a 44-match unbeaten streak. But winning streaks all eventually come to an end and that one did too. They won the bronze medal in the 2020 Olympics (played in 2021) in a 1-0 loss on penalty kicks (one of the reasons Americans generally haven't embraced soccer, as 0-0 games decided by penalty kicks suck). The USWNT then won the 2022 CONCACAF.

The suggestion that somehow in the last 2 years other nations have suddenly started pushing girls into soccer and that is resulting in them overtaking the US is inane. As indicated, women's soccer has been a thing outside the US for decades -- longer than it is has been in a thing in the US.

Again, US women have dominated international soccer. As recently as a few years ago. The suggestion that the Us as a country somehow lacks the mental capacity for soccer is ridiculous.

Yes, soccer is far more popular outside the US so there isn't much surprise that there may be better coaching clinics outside the US. But that doesn't mean there is some secret soccer sauce that coaches and players int he US don't know about. As you acknowledge, US coaches go to those clinics too. And, of course, the US is a diverse country with a lot of immigrants from a lot of different soccer-loving countries. If the US cared about soccer like other countries do the US would have little problem attracting those coaches.

I don't claim to be a soccer expert. But my legal training and skills do make me an expert in sniffing out BS, especially when there is amble evidence and logic to show that it is BS.

This is just bizarre.

There is little room to debate the fact that the best athletes in the US do not flock to soccer. And yes, athleticism and physical talent/ability do matter. I haven't said they are everything or the most important thing, but if all of the RBs, WRs and DBs in the NFL and college football had instead devoted their lives to training for soccer instead of football, the US would be much better at soccer. I suppose we could argue about whether the US would be the best or just much better, but it is a significant part of it.

Not sure who you are even arguing with her or what you are arguing about. None of this relates to any thing I said in my few sentence post in the other thread.

More rambling about stuff that bears little, if any, relationship to anything I said.

I know you don't live in the US, but I'm sure you are aware that it is not necessary to be a US citizen to be a soccer coach in the US. And again, if US soccer coaching was so inferior how the US women, which had no real college base or national team, so quickly overcome such teams in the rest of the world with such vastly inferior coaching? I admit I know nothing about the quality of soccer coaching in Scotland where you got your license, but if Wikipedia is to believed Scotland has one of the oldest soccer FA's and oldest national teams in the world but has never advanced past the first round of the World Cup or the European championships. Is that true? If so, how/why is that the case if its all about superior knowledge and coaching and Scotland has the best of both?

No thanks. All good.

36. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    I played soccer since the 70s, and coached since the 80s, till I got too old to do both, respectively.

I am in the group of soccer people that also thinks the US would be better if more of our better athletes played the sport, but this argument upsets many soccer people because they think:

1 That people who say this are saying that Tyreek Hill or Lebron James, at their current ages, could pick up a soccer ball and dominate. When we are really saying that if they picked up a soccer ball at age 5, they have the athletic ability to dominate, if they added soccer skill to that.

2 That this minimizes the necessity of skill.

Yes, good coaching is a factor in acquiring that skill, but there is no country that has a monopoly on good coaching.

Athletic ability cannot be minimized in playing soccer, anyone that thinks it is unnecessary, fails to understand why Brazil and France have won multiple World Cups. It's not just their skill...