1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Peyton Special

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by tirty8, Sep 24, 2018.

1. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    I don't know about you guys, but prior to big Wilson pass, I was worried that we were going to go 3 and out if we tried to run the clock out. I had a PTSD when visions of the Marino era when Dan got us the lead, but we were never able to grind the clock out. Personally, by the third quarter, I was completely down with abandoning the run all together. RT has looked stellar hitting those crossing patters, and he was able to pick up yards in chunks better than I have ever seen him.

Getting back to the point, I think we should have taken a play out of the Peyton Manning playbook and just kept passing. I know you definitely run the risk of three incompletion and giving the Raiders the ball back with timeouts in their pocket, but RT has looked really, really accurate. Over 70% is far more than I could have ever expected. Maybe dial up a roll out, and if no one is open let him run and slide in bounds. We have been getting a lot of bang for our buck when he runs lately.

I just don't think yesterday was our day for running, and our defense was on the field waaaay too long yesterday, and they were obviously gassed. We caught several breaks on defense, and we couldn't keep pressing our luck. I think keeping our foot on the gas would have been the way to go.

Agree or disagree?