The Phamtom Menace Revisited

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by maynard, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    It would be better if it was Dooku. I read his wikipedia and his story is interesting. He would be a good bad guy since he was once one of the most powerful jedai warriors and then he fell to the dark side.

2. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Dooku as the apparent Sith Lord and Maul as the apparent apprentice.

3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009

Really did seem that way.

4. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I think it was important we saw young Anakin and where he came from, especially the scenes with his mother as her death was the start of his raise to the dark side. By starting Episode 1 with him being a teen already and having a few throwaway lines explaining what happened and how he got where he was would hurt his journey and not make the viewer care about the stuff with his mother.

With that being said, they easily could have cut out all the crap Phantom Menace and jumped to his teenage years after Quin-Gon's funeral and for the last 15 or 20 minutes or so showing his training with Obi Wan. And end the movie with Palpatine coming up to him saying they're keeping a close eye on his development.

5. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    in episode 3 lucas still had the nerve to have palpatine cheer for the jedi when they fought dooku...like there was anyone on the planet that still thought he wasnt the sith lord lol

and i agree also that anakin seemed to choose stupidity at every turn. i mean, even after he causes windu's death and sidious flatly admits that he doesnt have the power to save a life, he still goes along like an angry fool lol

the whole lack of drama of palpatine really hurt the movies i agree.

there arent a lot of easy ways to treat the character, but they seemed to choose the worst option lol

6. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Wasn't really that much of a "twist" to have a sith infiltrate the old republic when you think about it. At least, it didn't feel that way at all.

7. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    no. but like some people were getting at, palpatine could have been portrayed as a good guy. maybe he could have turned as well. maybe dooku could have been the sith lord that "discovers" palpatine's force sensitivity and turns him, who in turn converts akakin because of their close relationship and an alternative to the jedi and maybe throw in the chance to cheat death

the prequels seem to want to create shades of gray in the choices we make, but end up doing the opposite

i can sympathize with the sweet boy that will eventually become darth vader, but not the idiot young man who seems bent on choosing the worst of his options

FinSane and Pauly like this.
  8. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    I'd agree that in this way they failed the "latter" half of the series. I'd also agree that the role of Anakin was not only piss-poorly cast (fail actor has failed), but also poorly written throughout the prequels.

I believe it was already mentioned how (ep III) he'd bonded so closely with Palpatine to the point where he'd completely ignored the confession that death could not be cheated (possible plot fail). The bonding itself wasn't developed well enough (at least not to the extent of Obi/Anakin; Master/Padawan) and so it felt like it came out of nowhere at that point. Lots of things felt like that, to me at least, and so the story-telling takes a big hit, in my book.

9. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Well I was going to write about how I thought part of the problem with these movies is that we know the ultimate outcome already so there's not a whole lot of suspense other than how Samuel L.'s character was going to be killed, how exactly Anakin turned into Darth Vader, etc. however while I was writing out a response I thought of 'The Dark Knight' with Harvey Dent turning into Two-Face. Everyone knew it was going to happen, it was just a matter of when but the viewer rooted for the guy and didn't want him to turn and felt bad for him and then hated him all in a 2.5 hour movie. That's what great writing could have done for these movies, unfortunately they didn't have great writing. The movies could have been use to make us feel and care about Anakin and possibly Palpatine at the beginning of the movies and try and root against them becoming bad even though we know its going to happen. After all this series was Anakin's story, yet we have no reason to care about him since he comes off as an ungrateful, dumb kid. So why should we care that his mother and wife end up dying and he's left for dead by Obi Wan. We should have loved Anakin before the turn and absolutely hated him when he turned but there was just no emotion to it.

Again like I said in my first post in this thread, these movies are giant missed opportunities.

10. Pauly

Nov 29, 2007
    Problem is they did the stuff about how he cares for his mother so poorly no one felt any empathy. And there were what, 2 maybe 3 scenes with Anakin and Shimi, so a few flashbacks and half a dozen lines of exposition is giving the core reason for doing the movie more treatment than what was actually delivered.

You can do a lot dramatically with teen angst and guilt, but Lucas even managed to miss that barn door from 2 feet away.

11. Pauly

Nov 29, 2007
    When Obi-Wan leaves Anakin for dead he should be pissed off that Anakin has betrayed him, not because he's betrayed the prophecy, you know make it real personal. Perhaps even cause Padme's death in some way since dying in childbirth is so pre-20th century as to be unbelievable in a super hi tech future.

That then gives Obi-Wan a reason to realise that he's screwed up and goes into the hermit life for soul searching, not as some sort of guardian angel waiting to be activated by a random event 20 years later.

12. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I agree with what you're saying but for some reason I don't think having flash backs would work, especially since they were never used before in the series. But maybe it's just me.

Yeah again I agree with you. The whole Padme's death fell flat for me. I mean her death should have been more emotional and dramatic. Maybe she should have been seriously injuried during the Obi/Anakin trying to stop them from fighting. That way Obi Wan could feel guilt for her dying and giving him a reason to watch over Luke/Leia later on in the series and Anakin could blame Obi Wan and the Rebellion for it, causing him to further slip into the dark side. Thus giving Obi Wan more of a reason to leave him for dead.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  13. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    I think you meant to say "super high-tech past" :D

14. Jeff

Jeff A.S.E. Mastur

Mar 18, 2010
    Plantation
    Yea, don't forget, It was "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..."

15. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    This isn't Star *gulp* Trek... :couch:

FinSane likes this.
  16. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I hate it to say it, but I felt the Star Trek prequel was better than any of the Star Wars prequels. And I hate Star Trek.

17. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    thats why lucas needs to release some of the rights so someone else can do something else with the SW universe

18. Pauly

Nov 29, 2007
    Look at how much better the story telling was in the "Clone Wars" cartoon than the three prequel movies.

maynard likes this.
  19. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    the cartoon network one or that recent series?

20. Pauly

Nov 29, 2007
    The one Asajj Ventress, or whatever her name was, as Dooku's apprentice and which ended with Greivous kidnapping Palpatine.

I'm not quite enough of a nerd to know my way around the EU in all its glory.

21. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    some entertaining psychobabble lol

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/buzz-log-darth-vaders-diagnosis.html

22. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    maynard likes this.