1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Picks Before Us

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by anlgp, Jan 19, 2009.

Tags:
  1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Is anyone else here incredibly nervous about one of the AFCE rivals picking up Sintim besides me?

Or someone stealing the perfect player for the team?

In a way I don't like having to wait for 24 teams to go first... :praying:

2. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    You just know Bellicheat will take him for just the fact he would be great on the Dolphins. :tantrum:

3. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I would prefer to have 31 teams picking before us, but maybe thats just me!

The Rev, Idahophin and padre31 like this.
  4. anlgp

I see what you did there!

But we don't so having 24.. yeah it means we had a decent season but there are still those pieces left to the puzzle.. and I'm concerned some thief in bahston is going to take them :shifty:

5. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    hahaha....well, 24 NON Dolphins dont mean anything to me, now that 25th pick...thats a Dolphin!

So, its all relative. Those in front pick a player that isnt OUR guy! :hi5:

6. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    It sucks but better in the 1st round than in the 2nd or 3rd because I'm not in love with any one player. I'd be happy with a number of players in the first round. B.J. Raji, Peria Jerry, Max Unger, Larry English, Clint Sintim, Rey Maualuga, James Laurinaitis, William Moore, Darius Butler, Sean Smith, Jeremy Maclin, and Hakeem Nicks. The Pats can't pick them all.

anlgp likes this.
  7. anlgp

That's a little too optimistic for my tastes.

Especially if he's a dolphin-wrecker.

8. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    No such thing!!!!!:up:

9. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
  10. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    He measured half an inch shorter and 5 lbs lighter than advertised. In all honesty when did 6'2'' 249 become small?

padre31 likes this.
  11. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Considering that we love to play an elephant named Matt Roth out there it's pretty small. Wake for example weighs 260 and is taller. It's a big deal for him to be that size, he's closer to a ILB or WLB for us now.

RoninFin4 likes this.
  12. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Could be that he switches sides. Could be that he plays well enough there where his apparent lack of size isn't as big an issue as it may appear.

I think it's also not outside of the realm of possibility that he could gain 5-7 pounds between today and April, or training camp during training camp etc. Roth is a little big for the position at 278lbs if that is what he was. Really you'd like him to be a bit smaller. But to think that Sintim is now automatically out because he weighed in at the Senior Bowl at 249lbs is a bit much.

It could be what Kendall Langford did last year when he showed in the 270ish range in an effort to appeal to more teams, and to hopefully show he was a pass rushing DE and earn more money. Maybe he lost 5 lbs to make him more appealing to a wider variety of teams. No one had an issue with him at 254lbs, and now everyone goes wait a second, he's 5 lbs light. Geesh. Also he isn't the only guy we could draft regardless of whether he's my man crush. I still think he's a good fit for us, but if we don't draft him what can I do.

The guy can gain weight too. I mean it isn't unheard of for players to add weight to their frame, and maybe 10 lbs isn't a ridiculous amount to ask someone to gain. Was DeMarcus Ware a 260lb guy? I know the position is different but he gained weight too.

I mean, does anyone really think Herman Johnson's 382 lbs won't be a topic of conversation this week. Most teams will want him to lose weight I would think. I mean sure he's big, but dam.......382? Thats a bit big for anyone no?

I am not scoffing at the notion, but I think it may be a bit knee jerkish right now.

RoninFin4 likes this.
  13. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I've seen Wake listed in the 240's, and I think the more "official" listings during all the recent hoopla had him at 255 (exact same height and weight as Joey Porter).

14. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Kendal Langford ended up gaining close to 20 pds Conu, he bulked up for the Senior Bowl, and he still showed that burst.

And "yeah" 250 pds and 6'2...Sintim is Zach Thomas redux...;)

15. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Those are ancient and he's 255 with room for 260. Sintim's probably will be height.

I like having a very large SOLB to completely crush the run on the left side. It throws the defense into fits. Wake is being brought in for pass-rush purposes. They like having Matt Roth there or a guy of his stature.

16. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Parcells loves size and athleticism never forget that. If he sees a guy as too short or too light he'll have a fit. As far as Sintim goes I think he'd prefer that moved inside to SILB. At that positon he'd be quite a player. No reason to think he can't play ROLB either. I'd just hate to put him at SOLB and expect him to control the run as Roth has.

17. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

talking about roth playing out there does nothing considering hes to big and slow to be playing out there..

18. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Which is highly incorrect since at the beginning of the year when healthy he was doing very well.

He probably is the best run-oriented player we have at his position on the entire team. It isn't Crowder and Ayodele that are the reason we're decent against the run.

19. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I think it was the other way Padre. He was always listed as a DT/DE even though he was big during the season. He came in light for the all star games.

20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm...IIRC, he played the Shrine Bowl at 280ish, then played the Senior Bowl at close to 300pds..

Alright Conu, speak up, you knew it was coming:

What are your thoughts on Derek Wake?

Why muck about with what Langford did in the past, when we have D Wake signed for 4 yrs?

21. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

hes the best "run-oriented" player at his OLB yes, but hes decent at best at that. our #1 reason for stopping the run this year was our defensive line played well against the run.

22. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    love you buddy.

23. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

i need an adult! i need an adult!!

unluckyluciano likes this.
  24. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    stranger danger! stranger danger!

25. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    How often does Parcells trade up for players in early rounds?

As long as we don't draft Cushing, I'm all for the guy we draft and have confidence in BP, JI, and TS.

26. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO

I don't know if you remember 1983, but there was a QB playing for the Pitt Panthers named Dan Marino.....the Steelers were picking before us, but I guess they also believed he rumors that Marino was using drugs, and passed on drafting him. The Steelers drafted a guy who I believe got paralized in a car accident after his first year. The Dolphins took Marino and the rest is history. I don't think we will lose a Hall of Famer if someone grabs Sintim.

27. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    IIRC this guy isn't huge either. He's a half inch taller and 11 lbs heavier, which isn't anything way out of reach. All I'm getting at is this; whomever we draft will in all likelihood gain weight in our strength program. And, that if we need a guy to gain 8-10 lbs to be a good weight to play the spot it isn't a massive deal when you are dealing with a guy who is light at 249 lbs. It's not like we are asking a 230 lb guy to gain weight. We'd be asking a 250 lb man to gain a little weight.

Also, as much as we like to throw the BP paradigms around it is obvious that Jeff Ireland has a big say in who gets drafted. He may not adhere to the height/weight ideals as strictly. Who knows. I do know this, Sintim is a football player who does a great deal of things we like well.

Also, a guy like Conner Barwin and his willingness to switch positions a number of times and excel at them may make him a viable target also. It's like you get two players in one. Bring him in on the goalline and you have a legit receiver out there also.

28. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    True, and one thing that program does accomplish, if a player does not want to be in Miami, it exposes them.

Hanging deadlifts in May are no fun at all.:lol:

IMO, Patriots snag Sintim and "finish" rebuilding their Lb corps.

And what a clear message Big Tuna sent by appearing at the Senior Bowl practices with Ireland and Sparano. Tuna looks like he views his job as ensuring Jeff Ireland does not fail via making a bad decision, Ireland is more like Tuna's Apprentice then a full operational Player Personnel guy.

Tuna was at C. Wake's workouts in Miami along with Ireland.

Barwin could be a rock solid pick, to me he looks like one of those 3rd round players who play for years, so does Rashad Johnson from AL.

As for Sidbury, it is hard for me to get a feel for him, last year, Langford stood out in both All Star Games,. Sidbury didn't really do that in the Shrine Bowl.

We are soo far back in the draft order this year, rounds 5-7 and UDFA will purely a Scout and Ireland effort, we snagged D Bess last year, and Haynos, so they do have the knack for finding some gems back there.

MY sleeper pick so far is Rey Malauga's ex teammate, Maaiva, he's a bit smallish at 230, but we have that program to build guys up.

29. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Julius Williams - UCONN #45. I've talked about this guy a few times. He still goes largely unnoticed, but to me he is a guy who could be one of those late round steals.

6'2'' - 258 lbs

30. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    I don't have 1 single problem with Sintim at 249. Like Con says, he's 4 or 5lbs lighter than usual having not played for 6 weeks.

RoninFin4 likes this.
  31. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Not really a problem with it, just he always struck me as a player bigger than Joey Porter. Personally, I thought he would've weighed in about 10-15 lbs heavier than he did.

Just looking at other 3-4 SOLBs around the league, the "smallest" one was the Jets Bryan Thomas at 266lbs, and SOLB is what I thought Sintim's bread 'n butter position would be, and it just struck me as odd that Sintim is not bigger than he is, that's all.

32. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    You know whats funny, I never complained about squats, power cleans etc. I used to not wear a pad on the squat regardless of the weight. Those exercises were meant to hurt, they are power movements; and those strain everything in that area. I loved having power in my legs. I always believed that if a guy has strong legs, that he can take more punishing shots than a guy who doesn't. Strong shoulders, and strong legs was what I was...........man do I miss those days. :wink2:

Of course, don't be asking me to run at 4:30 either.

padre31 likes this.
  33. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    One more thing to remember.

Most of the other guys being considered for the "conversion" are DE's right now. Chances are most aren't as sveldt as Sintim is right now. If Sintim were still a DE as he was early in his career he probably would be a little heavier too.

Most DE's will try to get to 260 just so that they can hold up at the POA. Being a 250 DE isn't a great idea no matter what the level nowadays unless you can just flat out fly around the corner.

Point being, Sintim doesn't convert, he already is at the position and may be a little lighter for a few reasons. One may be the amount of times he is asked to man up on receivers in the slot during the season. I don't just mean TE's and backs either; if you lined up in the strong side slot, Sintim walked out and covered you. Think he might be keeping himself light to be able to cut and run better? It is possible, just as that he may be 10 lbs too light now, but over the course of the next year he should be able to carry the weight.

If we don't draft him, we don't draft him. I still like him for what he brings, and I dam well don't want to face him twice a year either.

34. RalphX19X

RalphX19X >:)

Nov 23, 2007
    Miami
    I also have no problem with Sintim's size. BTW James Harrison has done quite well for himself at his size.