1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The real QB ranking.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Much respect Deej. His game can go anywhere but it won't be enough to win most places. Respect how good the rest of that team is.

Fin4Ever and resnor like this.
  2. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Well either he doesn't work hard on reading defenses or he does and he's just not going to get it.

And the advantage does go away. Teams can play you to keep you in the pocket and make you make reads. In fact, that's what I see happening. I don't see his ratings drop the last two years as some big mystery. Teams are making him beat the from the pocket and his rating is dropping. You may not want a QB sitting in the pocket, but it's what a QB needs to have his success be sustainable. That's what makes Rodgers the best. You can't just take away his run threat and beat him.

3. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I agree to the extent that Rivers was overrated through most of his career but he's earned it the past two.

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Im pretty sure I have a sound theory as to why his numbers went down last year, and i watched his games, two reasons actually, 1st, and most importantly, greg roman inexplicably changed the offense, concepts and philosophical approach to the offense..it was completely maddening..why, no'one knows, but he got fired..2, that was the most dsfuntional team, front office/coaching situation in the league, harbaugh was gone before the season started, and was on his way out before the season ended..

5. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Possibly, but it dropped from the year before as well. It was still high, but I saw him struggle when teams played him to make him win from the pocket. This past season more teams did it and his rating dropped again. So maybe Roman changed stuff and maybe teams forced him to play differently and he didn't do as well. Historically, success is not sustainable if you can't win from the pocket. That's what made Steve Young successful. He was arguably one of the best QB athletes ever. I believe he could have been a HOF player as a RB or at least a pro bowl level RB. But he found success when he learned to stay in the pocket and pick his spots to run. That's what Rodgers does as well.

6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    you don't have to believe me but well when you have an analyst ike Trent Dilfer say things like {paraphrasing here} '' I have no idea what greg roman is doing in san francisco, I've watched the tape and I can't explain, its insane', they have completely abandoned what made them successful.''

these things kinda confirmed what i thought..

heres the thing, I dont think about shelf life with my qb's, its why I think its just wrong that ryan is getting 3 read option carries a game, 1 rollout, and about a half a run a game that is not scripted, if the skill set is there, you use it to win games however possible for as long as you can, when its all used up, you start again..I don't believe in sacrificing games or seasons, I believe in not being scared to use the entire skill set of the qb..

taking Kaepernik out of the pistol and making him a progression type qb is like criminal.

7. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think ranking rookie quarterbacks even close to that high before they've even played a snap is crazy. Even Andrew Luck wasn't a top 5 QB entering the league and he is probably the best QB prospect I've ever seen. Both Mariota and Winston have the chance to be very good, but both could also ultimately be busts if they don't catch up to the NFL speed, or aren't put in position to succeed (I really feel like the Mariota/Wiz fit could be a bad one unless Wiz drastically changes his approach). I also think Kaepernick has no business being anywhere near the top 10 after showing an inability to make plays from the pocket after teams have forced him to stay put. If you are a one-dimensional QB, you are not a top 10 guy.

My rankings would be:

1. Rodgers
    2. Brady
    3. Luck
    4. Brees
    5. Roethlesberger
    6. Romo
    7. Wilson
    8. Rivers
    9. P. Manning
    10. Ryan
    11. Flacco
    12. Newton
    13. E. Manning
    14. Tannehill
    15. Stafford
    16. Palmer
    17. Bridgewater
    18. Smith
    19. Kaepernick
    20. Cutler
    21. Dalton
    22. Carr
    23. Bradford
    24. Foles
    25. Bortles
    26. RGIII
    27. Hoyer
    28. Winston
    29. G. Smith
    30. Mariota
    31. McCown
    32. Cassell

I think a lot of those guys have the chance to move up or down quite a bit, but if you are going off of who I would want to start a game tomorrow in the NFL, that would be the order.