1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ref Factor- Roughing the Passer

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by KeyFin, Sep 28, 2018.

1. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    You know my biggest worry for this game? How many roughing the passer penalties we will acquire for laying Brady out. He's always been the poster child for NFL rulebook enforcement and gets the benefit of the doubt way too often. And you know the game-plan is to pressure the crap out of him to get the guy off his rhythm. I know the league met this week to discuss the roughing the passer flags and they didn't expect anything to change. Has anyone heard anything else about that?

In my mind, on a 3rd and 11, it would almost make more sense for Belichek to tell the left tackle to not block anybody....just let Wake knock the **** out of Brady. You can just feel that the flag is coming no matter what. How do we prepare for this?

Personally, I hope they knock Brady right out of the game. I've never said that before about any athlete, but if we're going to be flagged regardless then we might as well get something from it. It's complete BS that we've spent years building a high-pressure team to neutralize Brady and now the league says that pressure is essentially being banned.

2. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    These new rules (or interpretation of rules) are really messing up the game.

Blame the owners. If 75% of all owners (24 of 32) vote for a rule change it becomes adopted. I mean, yes the NFL competition committee presents the owners with its findings and suggests rule changes, but ultimately it's (3/4 of) the owners that are doing all this.

As to the competition committee itself, if you want to assign blame there too here are the current culprits:
    • Rich McKay (chairman) – president, Atlanta Falcons
    • John Mara – owner, New York Giants
    • Stephen Jones – owner, Dallas Cowboys
    • Mark Murphy – president, Green Bay Packers
    • Ozzie Newsome – general manager, Baltimore Ravens
    • Mike Tomlin – head coach, Pittsburgh Steelers
    • John Elway – general manager, Denver Broncos
    • Sean Payton – head coach, New Orleans Saints

resnor and KeyFin like this.
  3. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Here's the rule dj:
    https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2018-rules-changes-and-points-of-emphasis/
    "avoid landing on the QB when taking him to the ground". Like.. how do you do that lol.

This rule is NOT written well if its primary purpose was to prevent injuries. .. Oh.. did dj delete his post? Either way, it's worth pointing out how bad the rule is written.

4. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    The crew we will have has thrown 1 RtP flag this year. The majority of calls have come from like 3 crews at I think 6-5-4 respectively.

mbsinmisc and KeyFin like this.
  5. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    That rule needs to be amended to read, “the defender is responsible to avoid intentionally landing on the quarterback...”. The key word being intentionally

This would give the defender the benefit of the doubt when making a good faith effort

mbsinmisc and KeyFin like this.
  6. Surfs Up 99

Surfs Up 99 Team Flores & Team Tua

May 5, 2016
    Until they can amend the rule properly, my recommendation would be to review each penalty and overturn it if the guy looked like he was trying NOT to land on the QB. Sure, it might lengthen the game a tad, but this rule and the resulting penalty can lose someone a game.

KeyFin likes this.
  7. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Touch football here we come. Only question now is if it will require two hands or one to end the play.

8. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    That's what I was thinking- why not make it two-hand touch on the QB? But then we'd have to define touch- is it a palm and five fingers? Or does the thumb and the pinky...with any part of the palm...do the trick? That seems tough to enforce in real time, so let's just make it flag football for the QB.

But what if the flag unintentionally falls off? Is it a sack or a do-over? How do we attach the flags to ensure QB safety? This doesn't work either. We'd better make it more like the honor system where the QB can tell the refs after the play if he felt like he was sacked or not. And PS- that means Brady plays until he's 70.

Puka-head likes this.
  9. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    C'mon guys.. don't give the NFL competition committee any ideas. If by rare chance they happen to pick up on what's being posted here ... OMG! They might even give two "unnamed fans" credit for suggesting such brilliant ideas that would "improve the game of football so that it's safer, more fan friendly, more PC and MUCH more likely to be attractive to cricket fans worldwide!" (global expansion dude).

Puka-head and KeyFin like this.