1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The seriousness of the injuries should not be overlooked

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Nov 30, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I never try to use the excuse of "well we had injuries" as a reason for losing, to me every team is dinged up and loses players.

However what should not be overlooked is the nature of the injuries and the effect that has going forwards:

Chad Pennington=Career seriously threatened, could be over.

Will Allen=His acl was more serious than the average ACL, there were two tears and the tear was jagged

Jason Feguson=Quad tear, and MCL, at 35 his career could be over

Pat Cobbs=ACL, he was our utility back

Justin Smiley=His shoulder went bad again, most people think Olineman's careers end due to knees, bad shoulders are a close second.

We had replacement waiting for these players, however they are also the second wave players, the third wave only has produced Ryan Baker.

Basically losing those 5 starters means we have to find 5 more backups to replace the backups who are now starters. So instead of a 25% attrition rate among the starters we have to also add 5 more players, most of our depth is now depleted.

Jeff Ireland will be a busy man this offseason just finding castoffs, UDFA's and practice squad players to fill in some of those holes and to provide depth for competition in training camp.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  2. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Excuse me but that is bull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The bills had 13 guys on IR and they kicked our ***.Not to mention the fact we had 10 days to prepare for this pathic peformance from this overated team.No excuses!!!!!!!!!!!!

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  3. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

pumpdogs quit giving delaware a bad name :lol:

he prefaced it by saying that he doesn't like to use the injury excuse. he is stating facts not trying to hand out excuses.

The Aqua Crush likes this.
  4. Finfangirl

Finfangirl Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
    Just my two cents:

But an ACL tear is an ACL tear. There is no such thing as two tears. And if there were, then it wouldnt be an acl rupture. Since they dont repair ACL's they replace them, it wouldnt matter if the tears were linear or jagged.

And, every team in the NFL has people on IR, there are NO excuses in professional sports!

The Aqua Crush, TiP54 and Jackson like this.
  5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    As for the Bills loss, every team has a WTF game.

Cowboys getting crushed by the Pack, Steelers losing to the Chiefs, Jest losing to the Bills etc.

What I was getting at is those injuries create 2 roster spots, one for the new starter, one for the backup, we still have not filled in the backup positions as of yet.

6. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Excuse me but maybe you need to re-read his post. he said he wasn't making excuses. His point was to show that moving forward we need to, as a team, address these serious injuries because these are key players that need to be replaced.

7. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    We saw how huge the loss of Ronnie Brown was on Sunday. I think they could have just ran the Wildcat until the Bills defense fell over if Ronnie was still in.

8. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada

I don't see how that comes into play. We ran the wildcat and normal formation on our first drive with uncomprimised success. Ricky was gashing the bills run d.

And then near the goalline on first or second down (can't remember what it was) we throw the ball with ricky? Poor playcalling cost us that game, not lack of talent. If we were getting stuffed left right and center and tried a trick play, fine, but three running plays from the 5 yard line should have been good enough to get a TD. Hell give it to polite and he's good for at least a yard.

Not having ronnie wasn't the reason, trying to get fancy when we didn't need to got the bills right back in the game, gave them momentum and ultimatley kept the game close going into the fourth quarter. We score a TD on that series to open the game and I don't think it would have been even close.

That's how poorly i thought that play call was. Hell we didn't even need to run the wildcat, our I formation was averaging 7 ypc, yet we get inside the 10 and we have to out trick them? No excuse for that. Henning's done some extremely great things for this team, but that was one of his worst calls I've ever seen.

9. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    My mistake, I am guilty of reacting to the headline without reading the post.I guess I am still pissed after driving 7 hours too buffalo only to watch them lose.

jdang307 likes this.
  10. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    always play to win, with total intensity, brutality & w/o excuse
    competition is the elixir of success

late again likes this.
  11. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    We haven't run the real Wildcat at all. The RB taking the snap is not the wildcat. The Wildcat was Ronnie taking the snap with Ricky coming across on the sweep. We haven't seen anybody come across in motion. Bill Bellicheat himself said that Ricky's motion is what makes the Wildcat effective. Also with Ronnie in they wouldn't have Ricky up to almost 20 touches by halftime. And we would still have a big play running threat in the game when Ricky was taking a breather. I don't know how you can think losing a player as dynamic as Ronnie Brown doesn't affect the offense. With Ronnie in we probably win that game easily. How do I know? It's already happened this season.

Ophinerated likes this.
  12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well losing Cobbs and Brown and replacing them with Lexxy is sort of what I'm getting at, now our depth at Rb consists of Kory Sheets or Tristan Davis.

We lose Will Allen, Vontae steps up, but Vontae's back up is Jason Allen, behind JA we have...no one.