1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The seven most important Dolphins in ‘08

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, May 28, 2008.

1. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Thanks for the post, ATV!

Dan offered up a pretty strong first effort.

ATVZ400 likes this.
  2. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Great read Anthony, thanks for the link.

ATVZ400 likes this.
  3. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't really agree with 6 and 7. Merling is a guy I expect to come along slowly, especially if he is being groomed to play OLB. I'm not saying he can't be productive this year, but I don't think we should have high hopes for him in his rookie year. I also don't think Taylor is all that important. Maybe the way the team responds to the situation with him could be big, but he isn't in the long term plans anyway, so whether he is here or not, may not be such a big deal. I would maybe put someone like Ferguson up there in one of those spots. While he may not be in the long-term plans either, he could be a critical piece to how this defense preforms in the 3-4. We really don't have another true NT on the team. Hopefully Soliai can become one, but he has yet to show that he can. Ted Ginn is another player I'd put up there. He needs to show improvement and at least prove some evidence that he can be a playmaker at WR. I also think this is a crucial year for Crowder so I would put him up there. A case could also be made for Smiley, and whoever plays the other guard spot.

Bpk likes this.
  4. WharfRat

WharfRat Malignant Lunatic

:confused1:

Boik14 and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  5. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    That error has long been corrected. Any feedback on the actual column?

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It's a good read, I would have prefered actual "players" to have been listed, but I got your point about the Staff being so key in a rebuilding year.:up:

For me, Ted Ginn, Jason Allen, Matt Roth, and Robert Ferguson are the players that we need to see something out of this season if we want to see some improvement.

ATVZ400 likes this.
  7. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Can't argue with the choices although I would have said Beck or McCown, one of those two will start, Henne will be third string.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  8. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    This defense will have a whole new identity this year with the defensive leaders Zack Thomas and Jason Taylor missing and a new defensive coordinator in place.
    What we are witnessing is the birth of a whole new defense, hopefully with a new attitude and killer instincts that wont let down late in the game and will once again put fear in opposing offenses and give headaches to opposing head coaches.
    Surely we have not seen the final product and we will see more pieces put in place over the next couple of years.

9. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Nice read, thanks for sharing. Id have to say I pretty much agree with it all

10. WharfRat

WharfRat Malignant Lunatic

No...it wasn't corrected... else I wouldn't have been able to quote it. :wink2:

I do see NOW in the comments below the actual article, that they apologized for the goof a few hours ago (not sure if that qualifies as "long since corrected"), and said they corrected it... but apparently, they neglected to actually do so.

and to answer... that was feedback on the actual column.. it goes to credibility.
    I did not read, nor comment on, the comments below the actual article.

But since you asked so nicely :wink2: ... I do agree with most of it... it was well thought out and positive.

11. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I liked the Jake Long paragraph. Am very excited to see what he brings. This kid is a football player first and foremost, the kind of guy who is playing hard and high energy every play, every game, every practice.
    That kind of attitude is infectious and as was said, cannot help but improve those players around him.

WharfRat likes this.
  12. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    I didn't actually write it. That's my new colleague, Dan Davis! He's pretty good.

13. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I was with this article up until, "Crowder who has more than proved his worth."

14. ToMaHaWk

ToMaHaWk New Member

May 18, 2008
    Countdown County
    I agree with it for the most part too but I'm one of those who think you're out in left field with the grasp at Phillip Merling. I mean, if the Dolphins lose Jason Taylor, I can see him needing to really step up but not otherwise. I'm looking for maybe a defensive back like Yeremiah Bell on that list, or insert-any-other-defensive-back's-name-here, or maybe a linebacker because those are the pivotal positions that used to be our strong points.

15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I think Merling has a ton of athleticism and can get even better because his body is not fully developed. I would believe they rated him so high because he was taken at 32 and has the versatility to play two positions. I'm more anxious to see him and Langford out there then Jake Long.

16. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    What impresses me about Jake Long is his maturity, at the press conference where he was announced as the #1 and had been signed, there was none of that "gushiness" that most #1 overall picks typically have, the situation did not intimidate him a bit.

As a newbie NFL Left Tackle, that sort of quite confidence will go a long way in his development IMO.

Thanks for the tip about Dan Davis! Hugo...:up:

17. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I hadn't seen a lot of Merling, so I don't expect a whole lot from him early. Especially if he stands up. I actually think Langford might have more of an impact early on.

JT's situation is huge. If he plays, we'll get a big shot in the arm as far as pass rush and impact plays go. If not, we'll probably see Anderson or possibly even Joey Porter over there. Things are in flux without his situation being resolved.

18. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    I'll take a swing at this as a Jets fan looking in:

1. Bill Parcells -- How will his additions, subtractions and draft picks pan out in Year 1?

2. Ronnie Brown -- Will he lose any speed due to his horrific injury in 2007 or will he rebound quickly without any, or limited, ill effects? The key will be how hesitant he is to hit the hole, IMO.

3. Ricky Williams -- I know, a little bit higher than most probably would have him on their list. However, if Ronnie Brown isn't 100% by September or he is feeling ill effects early on, Ricky is going to play a HUGE role in this offense early on. Either way, Ronnie in 2008 more than ever will need a complement and Ricky is a great complement to have.

4. Jake Long -- How quickly will he progress into the NFL? Is he the next Joe Thomas (dominant) or the next D'Brickashaw Ferguson? (Good, but not worth a top ten selection, certainly not fourt, or in Long's case, first)

5. John Beck / Chad Henne / Josh McCown -- No matter who the starting Quarterback is it will be pivotal to see what he can make with little at the receiver position, even with a supposeded strong running attack and offensive line. Whoever wins must be able to ball control the offense, especially if its Beck or Henne, as they are both learning on the run.

6. The Defense -- How will the defense fair with the loss of Zach Thomas and possibly the loss of Jason Taylor? Will Philip Merling step up and be a force immediately or will he, like most pass rushers coming out of college, need at least half the season to adjust to the NFL? The secondary is a HUGE question mark.

7. Tony Sparano -- Is he really ready to become a Head Coach or is he just going to be Parcells' pupet? We may not really know much about him until Parcells eventually leaves in 2-4 years.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
    WharfRat and alen1 like this.
  19. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

How do you FIND all these articles?

Are you just a giant automated robot, sleeplessly aggregating content?

Are you a risen undead walking the earth soulessly until you find the one golden nugget of Dolphins information that shall free you?

Are you the tireless scavenger, swimming ceaselessly as it scours the seabed for any and all Dolphins scraps and detritus all morning-noon-and-night?

Whichever one it is, I'm glad we have you, ATV. You complete us.

Bpk

20. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Also, I would rate the QB of greater importance than either Jake long or Ronnie Brown... sure, Ronnie and jake can either help a young QB or hurt them by forcing the QB to do more themself... but I'll take a team with a great performance from the QB and a so-so one from the LT and RB over a team with so-so performance from the QB but great day for the LT and RB.

More teams win with the great QB play and average LT and RB's than with an average QB and great LT and running back.

Just my opinion.

Bpk