1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Skillset that made Ryan Tannehill the #8 overall pick

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Eop05, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I cannot argue that. I misread the OP.

I will say, if the oline was merely average, it wouldn't matter if he ran more often.

2. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    It really is a shame. The Mike Wallace experiment looks to be a colossal failure.

Rishard Matthews is clearly making a difference for our offense no matter where he lines up, executing perfectly the plays that Mike Wallace is supposed to specialize in, and here we are taking him off the field for Mike Wallace....Because he's being paid more.

Fin D likes this.
  3. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Throughout the entire season, I've wondered whether Tannehill has the quick instincts to be successful. It's not about his arm or his athleticism, but his instincts about when to run, when to pass and where to pass. I don't think he sees the field well. I don't think he reads defenses well (including blitzes). Is it easy to be an NFL QB? No, arguably the toughest position in any sport in which to start. But, the reality is, RT has to be significantly better for the team to have success. Yes, the OL is horrific. But, there are also plays where the OL does its job, at least generally, and RT's decision making is not exceptional.

This could be coaching but he has a long way to go - and whether he ever develops will be an open question. He does not play super instinctively like some of the other young QBs.

This team is, imo, very much a reflection of Jeff Ireland. Dysfunctional.

4. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    He was selected #8 because he was familiar with the system, Sherman is the reason. Otherwise he'd been a 3rd round pick sitting on the bench somewhere, or coming in relief.

5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That's*not just wrong, but stupid as well. I'm shocked by neither.

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  6. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Defenses figure out athletic QBs. A QB ultimately needs to be able to throw and throw it well from the pocket. That being said, the Tannehill not running on that play was baffling. I could have made the endzone on that play.

Eop05 likes this.
  7. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Tannehill has potential, and I don't think you can be anywhere close to giving up on him.

I really hope that he gets out of this season without an injury and without developing major bad habits, and that they get him as far away from this coaching staff as possible. Hire an actual quarterback coach, and work with him on pocket presence and seeing the middle of the field.

Springveldt likes this.
  8. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    Agree with the OP. if Tannehill's running gives the team the best chance of winning and he's not doing it because he's coached not to, then there is something wrong.