1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Sky is falling, Abandon Ship

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bumrush, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm getting fairly amused and agitated with the amount of negativity, threats and discourse over the past 24 hours which is starting to border on hysteria.

If anything, this should be chalked up to a perfect storm of media misinformation and overload, not a general failure of the organization to deliver the outcome we all wanted, regardless of whether you wanted Sparano retained or not.

- Ross was willing to make Harbaugh, the hottest coaching commodity on the market, the HIGHEST paid coach in the NFL. He flew cross country to see what the hype was all about, was obviously impressed and made him an offer. Harbaugh, who refused the 49'ers who reside in his backyard simply declined. Are we really going to sh*t all over the ownership group for going above and beyond all the other teams in the market? Are we going to compare Ross to Snyder or Davis for going all in with a full house only to have Harbaugh pull a straight flush? Guess what, sh*t happens in life and you learn to deal with it.

- Sparano's ego certainly has taking a beating, but what freaking world do you people live in? Anyone who works outside of Burger King or the public sector here clearly understands the pressures of the workforce... You can be on top of the world one month and on the chopping block the next. Booo freaking hoo if he had to wait 4 goddarn days to find out his fate. For all we know Ross told Sparano the exact course of action the team was going to take and that in all probably Sparano was going to be retained if we couldn't land the big fish. Perhaps Sparano was given the option to resign or be fired if he couldn't accept the vision the team had. Perhaps Sparano agreed and stated he would give 100% if he came back. The GUY COACHES A FREAKING FOOTBALL TEAM FULL OF ADRENALINE. He can survive the ego bruising and SHOULD BE COUNTING HIS BLESSINGS that he is still employed. Get over it people. This is the same reality that people ALL OVER the damn country face on a daily basis for 1/100th his salary.

- We won't be able to attract an OC because of this - Suuure.. Coaches are going to blackball the Phins because they actually did the right thing and didn't react quickly by firing their coach. Instead they explored options for 4 FREAKING DAYS and decided to maintain the current structure. I'm sure an OC candidate who wants to promote himself will shy away from one of the greatest franchises in the NFL, and from the opportunity to work in sunny S Florida because we offended Sparano for making him wait 4 FREAKING days. Why is Al Davis still able to attract big names? How did Snyder attract a two time Super Bowl Champ? Yet because of this we won't be able to hire a good OC.. Yeah OK...

- We won't be able to sign FA's. Nobody will give a sh*t about this in a week beyond the people that think this franchise is headed towards disaster, specifically those of you that claim you will be abandoning this ship or media members with an anti- Miami bias. To those of you ready to leave, good riddance we don't need fans like you that obviously have some sort of PTSD disorder every time this team fails to accomplish the impossible goals that have been set in our brains.

Enjoy the offseason of discontent. I'll enjoy watching Sparano use this as motivation to come back strong in 2011, with the same winning mentality he had when he had nothing to lose in 2008.

USArmyFinFan, Stitches, Zod and 7 others like this.
  2. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Lol

This organization did everything you could possibly do wrong over the last 72 hours.

But continue patting yourself on the back for being a true fan.

3. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    The same man who lost at home to Buffal, Detroit and Cleveland? The same man whose team QUIT against the Patriots? All this "motivation" stuff shouldve worked the last month of the season and didnt so why would ANYONE be excited for the same guy to come back with some new BS slogan, with the same BS philosophy?

People have every right to be upset and not everyone deals with anger/dissapointment the same way.

The only thing I regret about my "meltdown" is it gave a platform for others to try to puff thier chests out and say "Iam always a fan of my team no matter what!!".....well congratualations....you look amazingly honorable......

I live in Columbus OH with about 2 other Phin fans in the whole area, I have to defend this team ALONE at work, out with friends, even with my own GF and we havent done jacksh-t this whole decade and yet I always manage to goto a game somewhere just about every year....I own tons of Dolphins stuff that I cant just go into a local store and buy...stuff I have to overpay for online, buy the NFL ticket JUST FOR THE DOLPHINS, goto NJ to a Dolphins bar for a draft, flew down to Miami for less than 20 hours JUST to see them get waxed by NE on national TV this year, I have alot of time and money invested in this team nd I spend alot of time on this board.

So if I want to express my anger in any way shape or form I please.....just let me do it.

Rick 1966, mullingan and schmolioot like this.
  4. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Please detail what they did wrong. Don't detail what some moron on Twitter wrote. Detail what the Miami Dolphins either stated or appeared to do wrong.

Fin D and MarinePhinFan like this.
  5. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Look at the bright side, you can cheer for the Cavs now full time.

6. Zach13

Zach13 Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Miami
    Ross chose Ireland over Cowher.

That is ridiculously stupid.

Uncle Rico likes this.
  7. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    If Cowher was either seriously considering coming back to the NFL, or was a hot commodity, how come no other team has stepped forward and shown interest in signing him? How do you know for certain that Ross chose Ireland over Cowher? How do you know Cowher didn't come to Ross with ridiculous demands to control the organization while also calling for a general overhaul of the roster? We can't judge a situation if he have no insight in to the situation. If 5 teams were fighting for Cowher your assumption may be correct. WE don't know what transpired nor should we pretend to.

Fin D and MarinePhinFan like this.
  8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I made it through 1-15, this is nothing.

We need a Qb, We need a new Special Teams Coordinator, We need a new Offensive Coordinator, We need a new Quarterback Coach, We need more Speed, We need some Oline help.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  9. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I'm a Knicks fan......nice try though.

10. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Great post, Fin. I feel your similar pain being away from South Fla, brother.

:lol: at the new avy

11. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    All this anger is misdirected. I'm not saying we shouldn't be disappointed that we couldn't land Harbaugh. We have every right to. But to blast the franchise and threaten to abandon the ship due to stuff outside of anyone's control is ridiculous. The anger is misguided. In a league where Kubiak was retained, Mcdaniels has a shot to coach again, Cable got fired for actually improving the Raiders and Rex Ryan licks feet, this isn't the worst thing that could happen.

Fin D, MarinePhinFan and bakedmatt like this.
  12. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Yeah, what a freak!

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, Cable also did break a Assistant Coach's jaw and acted like the whole thing never happened.

As for the anger, this is one other thing I do not "get", we were 7-9, and had shed yrs of experience off of the roster, to me why folks act as if we were 2-14 I am not getting.

The other thing is, people SCREAMED for a "#1 Wr!!!!!" they got one, and people simply move on to the next thing to ***** about, there is a reason why the truism is "if you listen to the fans to make decisions you will wind up sitting in the stands with them".

Fans are fickle, make better football decisions.

14. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Its amazing how delusional some guys are Schmoloot. They will spin it all that its all okay. I'm just going to sit back, and watch them crack & finally have to come to the realization that this last 4 days has almost destroyed any chance we had at improving the team for next year. Now as DolFans we have to root for the labor troubles to actually get done quickly so that next season is not wiped out completely. If that happens the league will use the same draft order for 2012 draft and we will once again pick 15th.

Tin Indian and schmolioot like this.
  15. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Hey, if Sparano finished 11-5, he could lick a leper's foot for all I care. Just sayin.

I'm reserving some of my disappointment till more of the facts come out, but something stinks about this whole thing if we strike out on 3 candidates and are left with Mr Default, which I don't think Ross was anticipating. Part of me is also wondering how much Ireland may be hurting the organization.

DolfanJake likes this.
  16. Zach13

Nov 28, 2007
    Miami
    It is not true that we have no insight as to what transpired with Cowher.

We have read accounts of what happened in the Herald.

We may not know perfectly what happened but if there is truth to the reports that we, in essence, have chosen to retain Ireland at the expense of landing Cowher then that is quite stupid.

miamiron and DolfanJake like this.
  17. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    They wanted to hire a new coach, yet put ridiculous conditions on two of the candidates and then couldn't seal the deal with the guy they really wanted.

They then bring back the guy they wanted to fire as a lame duck.

And we have no OC or QB. Just an example for you, Mike Martz was Lovie Smith's 5th choice for OC. In that case it worked out. It typically doesn't.

Tin Indian and DolfanJake like this.
  18. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Ross or Ireland? If I'm a top prospect coach I look at Miami as my burial grounds.. Parcells failed in his role, Jimmy Johnson not only disgraced Shula but hurt his legacy and Marino's, Saban was an unmitigated disaster and ill-suited to work in the NFL, Wanny was Wanny.. All Harbaugh has to do is look at our history from the day Shula was pushed to the curb to see what his future may have looked like...

Karma's a ***** huh? I'll never forget the enthusiasm we had when JJ was on his way to Miami, after we forced Shula to stand on that podium and resign, despite the outward appearance that he wasn't ready to hang it up...

DolfanJake likes this.
  19. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Ridiculous conditions.

Please reference a verified link to your assumption with names sourced. If not, then stop making assumptions that have no validity.

And since we are to blame, how come those other two candidates that had to walk away aren't hired by any other NFL teams? Did all the other organizations also put "ridiculous" conditions on them as well? Is it a conspiracy against them??????

20. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Because we are in dire need of blowing up this franchise again and giving full control to a coach.. Because that has always worked to perfection for this organization or around the NFL for that matter.

Assuming the unnamed reports and innuendo are correct, I applaud the team for not giving up on what we have built the past few years. We aren't that far away from being a legitimate playoff team.

21. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Come on Bum.

There have been multiple reports, articles, etc., detailing what has happened. It can't all be false.

Tin Indian and DolfanJake like this.
  22. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Funny thing is, people refuse to look at the AFCE, this is probably the best division in the NFL, certainly the toughest, Belicheck is not going anyway anytime soon, the Jets have a good window as well, and yet magically if people ***** enough, those two teams will just go away.

It's insanity, Dolphins fans can be kinda dumb sometimes imho.

Pariah likes this.
  23. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    So I guess we shouldn't bother trying to improve then.

Let's just stick with this loser regime, it doesn't make a difference.

24. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Like coach, like fans. :lol:

25. Zach13

Nov 28, 2007
    Miami
    I hope that you are right.

To me the #1 job of a GM is to get a quality QB.

This GM has failed in that regard. He has passed on Ryan, Flacco and Vick in order to draft Henne and Pat White.

DolfanJake and bakedmatt like this.
  26. bakedmatt

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    When did Tony Sparano get a reputation for being dumb?

27. bakedmatt

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Yep. To be fair, they didn't really pass on Flacco.

28. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    It's an exaggeration. Although IMO he's not a guy you want matching wits against Belichick.

29. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    So we can import yet another regime that will also lose?

Think about it, the one thing we have not tried in Miami is..patience, not for a very long time.

Wishing, hoping, complaining, won't make the 4 games vs the Jets and Pats go away, bringing in new people with a lockout looming also does not make much sense.

We are getting closer to having the roster, the core, set moving forwards especially with Paul Soliai's emergence.

smahtaz and mullingan like this.
  30. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007

Henne showed us a LOT in 2009. He was resiliant, tough and seemed to have the makings of an All-Pro QB.
    In fact, after 2009 if you asked me to pick the #5 QB in Sanchez or Henne, I would have taken Henne in a heartbeat.. Who, besides Parcells (which led to an uproar here) could have predicted that Henne would have reverted so much in 2010? Nobody really could have predicted that. Again, sh*t happens, you win some, you lose some. We thought we had the QB of the future. We obviously didn't. Now it's time to move on and find a new QB..

31. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    As good a record against Belicheck as anyone else.

32. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Brother Padre they didn't just listen to the fans and came to the conclusion they needed a # 1 WR. C'mon bro if they did that, listen to the fans, they would have fired Sparano within 15 minutes after the NE debacle. Brother Padre I believe within the next few weeks you will see that getting an OC and luring FA players is going to be near impossible. I could be wrong. But last year Chicago was in the same boat. They had to guarantee Mike Martz TWO years pay beyond when & if he is let go. In other words money will go to pay a fired OC that could haveen paid for a FS or draft choice. That is the reality of what might have to happen here to try to lure someone here.

33. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007

God forbid we wind up like the Bears next year.. Sitting at home with a first round bye this week.. Oh the horrors we will have to endure :D

34. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Losing is still losing. It's not good enough unless we can consistently beat them 2 out of 3 times while winning our division IMO.

35. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    You're hoping just as much as anybody else. The Jets weren't patient. They canned Mangenious after 3 years and yet here they are. They were agressive with personnell and in coaching.

36. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    And what is his record against the Bills the last two years ? 2-2 ? Against a team that has won 8 games in the last 2 years ? In other words we are 25% of the Bills wins the last two years. Keep spinning though Brother Padre.

37. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Really?

I think we were about two years too patient with Wanny, and that destroyed a championship caliber defense.

Its not that he went 7-9 its the way he did it, you can claim to be the best fan in the world but if you couldnt see the past month and a half that Tony is in over his head then Im not sure what to tell you.

His clock management, player management, getting DESTROYED with ingame adjustments? He sucked.

38. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    They have a Oline that played 3 yrs worth of games amongst them and did not miss a start that makes a huge difference, plus Mangini may have been canned, but he was a pretty good drafter, if you look at their young vets who are good, the Revis's and Mangold's they were Mangini picks back when we were taking Ted Ginn and Jason Allen.

39. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    And the Bengals have owned the Ravens the last 3 yrs.

The AFCE is tough, that is how it is.

40. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
    Be positive = get ridiculed.

Awesome.

smahtaz and padre31 like this.