The stats don't lie... Dolphins dominated the Bills
25 replies
Okay, they "only" won by five points and the general population not called Dolfans will look at that stat line only and say the Dolphins could have lost this game quite easily. However, lets go deeper into the stats and see exactly how dominant these Dolphins were:
First downs... Dolphins 19, Bills 9... Dominant Dolphins
Third down efficiency.. .Dolphins 8/18 44%, Bills 3/14 21%... Advantage Dolphins
Total net yards... Dolphins 296 to Bills 166!... Dominant Dolphins
Average gain per offensive play... Dolphins 4.1 to Bills 3.1... Advantage Dolphins
Net yards rushing... Dolphins 132 to Bills 50... Dominant Dolphins
Total rushing plays... Dolphins 36 to Bills 17... Dominant Dolphins
Net yards passing... Dolphins 164 to Bills 116... Advantage Dolphins
Net punting average... okay just kidding...
Last but certainly not least... Time of Possession... Dolphins 36:53 to Bills 23:07
Also worth mentioning is the run to pass play mix. Dolphins 36 runs to 34 passes... Bills 17 runs to 34 passes. This along with the TOP stat is what will define the Dolphins this season under this regime. It's what defined us two years ago when we finished 11 and 5 and won the AFC East. I'm sure coach Sparano "the Stat Freak" will look over these stats and be quite happy with what he sees. Sure there's a lot to work on as we head into a tough stretch of games, but make no mistake, if you had told Sparano these stat lines would occur before the game yesterday, he'd have gladly accepted the W and moved on to the Yikes.
Personally, I was pleasantly surprised to see these stat lines when I woke up this morning. I know we did well, I didn't think we did this well... especially the time of possession.
Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!
If only Jason Allen had caught that pass and ran it in from 5-7 yards out, the score would be even better than it was. It was a close game but not that close
Yeah but the most important stat is points. By this logic, the Jets fans were right last year when they were saying the same thing. Remember that game that they kicked our asses up and down the field but we still won thanks to Ted Ginn?
yesssssssssssssssssss
Fin D;2829671 wrote:
As mor wisely said
I'm w/the mor. Actually the most important stat is the one that goes in the W/L column. All that other stuff is icing on the cake because of that W.
If Allen, Sapp, and Marshall don't drop those picks/passes we're looking at 3 more scores most likely, which is 21 points + the 3 that carp missed, so that's 23 points + 15 = 38 - 10.
So we left 21 points on the field, which i can almost guarantee you loses us games against the pats/jets/vikings, and nearly lost us the bills game IMO
"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl
"mor911 wrote:
Yeah but the most important stat is points. By this logic, the Jets fans were right last year when they were saying the same thing. Remember that game that they kicked our asses up and down the field but we still won thanks to Ted Ginn?
the W is the most important stat... of course.
Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!
Then you look at the stats going against the Colts from last season. Stats are overrated, only thing that counts is the W.
I would eagerly take these stats for every game we play this year if it leads to the same result.
Also, let's not forget:
1. Number 1 ranked defense in the league.
2. Marshall on pace for a career-high 128 catches
"Where there is no vision, there is no hope"
I think what Paul is more going for is to point out the general direction of our team. We may have played a close game, but the score doesn't quite dictate how thoroughly outmatched they were.
At the end of the day, all that really matters is the W/L but when you're asking yourself whether we have the ability to beat a team like the Vikings, after squeaking out a victory against the Bills, you have to take some of this into account. We left plays on the field, if we can make those plays we failed to connect on, we've got a team that can compete.
Here is the best stat, 15-10 and the game was too dam close.
This team is going to give me a heart attack!


I like how no one has mention that the dolphin only had 1 penalty...thats huge!
One thing that aboslutely kills me, is the inability to capitalize on the Bills mistakes. The Pats ALWAYS do! We need to catch those int's, make those field goals, catch those long bombs, throw to a wide open Marshall more accurately.
We left so many points out there that it sickens me. The Bills had no right being within 5 points of us.
*EDIT* Just brought to my attention how bad the wind was concerning the kicks, and the long pass. Nice job broadcasters :-/
"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.
I think the issue overall is that we left the terrible.....TERRIBLE Bills in a position to win the game up until the last moments. That's not going to feed the bulldog. I'm fine with the conservative game. I'm 43, and, I love that style of a rougher NFL, but the thing is; The way the short attention span theatre of entertainment has gone, the NFL has gone slowly with it, and, one slip from a DB, and we dominated them for nothing, and a one or two point loss.
I just think, overall, we're a half step behind the NFL. What Parcells preaches is good, solid doctrine that has over time been proven...But at some point personal predjudice needs to be put aside in the name of eveloution.
Just my .02. Machts nichts.
"Mcduffie81 wrote:
*EDIT* Just brought to my attention how bad the wind was concerning the kicks, and the long pass. Nice job broadcasters :-/
This looks like a game from the 2008 division champ season. Scoreboard not impressive, but we controlled the game and came out with the win. Last year in Buffalo we completely shot ourselves in the foot and blew a close lead. The Dolphins lost that game for themselves. Yesterday's team won the game.
I know its the first week, but it's nice to see our defense ranked 1 in overall in total defense and top 5 in passing and rushing defense.
Thanks for the sig, Gish!
"Garryowen wrote:
I think the issue overall is that we left the terrible.....TERRIBLE Bills in a position to win the game up until the last moments. That's not going to feed the bulldog. I'm fine with the conservative game. I'm 43, and, I love that style of a rougher NFL, but the thing is; The way the short attention span theatre of entertainment has gone, the NFL has gone slowly with it, and, one slip from a DB, and we dominated them for nothing, and a one or two point loss.
I just think, overall, we're a half step behind the NFL. What Parcells preaches is good, solid doctrine that has over time been proven...But at some point personal predjudice needs to be put aside in the name of eveloution.
Just my .02. Machts nichts.
Thats a can of worms that hasnt fully been popped open yet, or has it? We seriously need to adjust to the NFL rules,and get this passing game firing on all cylinders. We have the weapons. Let Henne make some mistakes.
"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.
"Jt0323 wrote:
I like how no one has mention that the dolphin only had 1 penalty...thats huge!
NFL website has 3-15 yards.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010091201/2010/REG1/dolphins@bills#tab:analyze
But even so, 3 penalties for only 15 yards for a game is huge. I hope that is something we continue the rest of the way. Great start in that department.
"The Aqua Crush wrote:
NFL website has 3-15 yards.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010091201/2010/REG1/dolphins@bills#tab:analyze
But even so, 3 penalties for only 15 yards for a game is huge. I hope that is something we continue the rest of the way. Great start in that department.
Very few penalties for going on the road in week 1, after several dumb penalties in the pre-season.
In Sparano's head no turnovers + no penalites = victory.
Kudos Friend Paul13:
you're right stats don't lie. getting ready to watch the Ravens hopefully humiliate the Jests & then we're off to Minnesota for the Sunday game. great thread!
- Competition is the Elixir of Success -
"the 23rd wrote:
you're right stats don't lie
Stats lie when we play the Colts, but they're not on the schedule this year.:up:
Friend frozenfin:
true, but you've got to admit the thread is inspirational & well grounded/founded
we will contend in 2010. the Vikings are next up, get past them & we're on a roll...
- Competition is the Elixir of Success -
"Mcduffie81 wrote:
Thats a can of worms that hasnt fully been popped open yet, or has it? We seriously need to adjust to the NFL rules,and get this passing game firing on all cylinders. We have the weapons. Let Henne make some mistakes.
At some point we have to. Let the men do their jobs.
"the 23rd wrote:
Friend frozenfin:
true, but you've got to admit the thread is inspirational & well grounded/founded
we will contend in 2010. the Vikings are next up, get past them & we're on a roll...
My plane leaves 9am friday. I'm representing. Looking for an exciting game and a good time in a great city!
.
"the 23rd wrote:
Kudos Friend Paul13:
you're right stats don't lie. getting ready to watch the Ravens hopefully humiliate the Jests & then we're off to Minnesota for the Sunday game. great thread!
That was the most dominant / largest one point win I've ever seen. I'm fairly certain Sanchez has a bruised vagina after Ngata pile drived him in the fourth quarter. That Slauson (left guard) is no Alan Faneca... :lol:
Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!
