1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Strain - based on the book trilogy created by Guillermo Del Toro

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Clark Kent, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    [video=youtube;_42rx8Dm6OQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_42rx8Dm6OQ&app=desktop[/video]

"The Strain" is a TV series created by Guillermo Del Toro, based on acclaimed "The Strain" book trilogy created by Guillermo Del Toro, which was created because no one wanted "The Strain" TV series created by Guillermo Del Toro. Follow that? Whatever. Books are pretty good I hear. Cast is strong for the show. FX also makes pretty good shows too.

Anyone check out the first episode from this last Sunday (13th)? Pretty good. From what I hear, this has the potential to be the next "The Walking Dead." Except...

Major plot device revealing enclosed
    Vampires instead of Zombies. And no Carl! And less general stupid!

2. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I've seen the first hour... I didn't look at your spoiler Clark. So far it has nothing on TWD. Although Samwise Gamgee is in it, so I'll give it some more time :lol:

3. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I'm kind of turned off by your spoiler Clark... I mean I've seen the first episode, and it certainly makes sense.. was just hoping it was something a little more futuristic.

Now there are parts to the first episode that had me saying "like that would ever happen"... firstly, if you haven't seen the episode yet don't read this:

a plane full of over 200 dead bodies... what do they do with the dead bodies? They take them all to the medical examiner and he is the ONLY ONE in the ****ING ROOM examining them?? Then, they take everything out of the cargo hold and store it in a warehouse... no security, rooms aren't vacuum sealed. At least with the Walking Dead, as the breakout is occurring, people are reacting to it the way they should. Sure, in that first season, the cop fasts forward in the hospital and we don't see all the inner workings of the initial time line, but still. Just give me something a bit more credible from time to time. The CDC dr guy picks up the "worm" sample, puts it in a glass or maybe even plastic case, and is then seen carrying it around with him later in the episode as if it's a pet toy of his.. I would think a top ranking official at the CDC wouldn't be doing something so ****ing stupid. The coffin disappears.. nobody knows where it's gone... yeah okay... okay, I'm done...:lol:

4. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008

I'm with you on those gripes.
    TWD had the greatest pilot of all-time. Even better than Lost (Carlton Cuse is a producer for the Strain too, more bonus points) or Game of Thrones. No surprise "The Strain" didn't top it. That being said, I like the concept and I think TWD fans will too. It's a summer TV show. On FX. I like the show enough to kill an hour watching it.

While characters did do some stupid things, I don't think any show can be worse than TWD in terms of character's decision making. That show is full of complete idiots. And the soap opera-esk storylines are killing the show. And have been since Frank Darabont was fired. JMO.

5. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I am a bit surprised there haven't been more shows trying to rip off The Walking Dead. Post apocalyptic type genre... I guess Revolution had a thing going there for a couple of years. I watched the first season of that but couldn't bring myself to watch the second season. Not surprisingly, it was cancelled recently.

6. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    It's not trying to be a Walking Dead or something like that. It's Del Toro. He's not going for reality......but a stylized horror show. He fully admits he isn't up to snuff on forensic/CDC protocols etc. Be thankful Fox didn't get ahold of it. They wanted it turned into a comedy.

Anyone notice Weevil from Veronica Mars in it? ;p

7. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Fox wanted to turn this into a comedy? Seriously?

Episode 2 was alright. Surprised more people aren't watching. It's a decent summer show.

8. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I have them recorded, just haven't watched them yet. Sounds like something I could like.

9. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    I saw the first episode; thought it was a failure in world-building, with all the ignorant/stupid **** their "experts" did, and the actions in response to the incident.

In any fantasy story, whether Scifi or horror, you are obliged to build a believable, relatable world around the supernatural or scifi premise; otherwise, the audience has nothing to anchor it to the characters and the story.

Haven't gotten around to the second ep; I doubt I'll like it enough to keep watching after that.

10. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Second episode was decent. enough so to have me back in 5 days.

11. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Rarely does anything so dreadfully-written actually get made and broadcast. This is an absolute cluster**** of a TV show.

The Secretary of Health and Human Services personally frees four quarantine victims when her CMO is telling her that they could be suffering from a lethal, virulent pathogen? In THIS risk-averse world?

Every dramatic conflict is poorly written and as unrealistic as dialogue ever gets.

At some point you mourn another clever concept, wasted by horrible writing, just before you throw up your hands and move on..

12. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    so you'll be watching next week, like me? :lol:

ToddPhin likes this.
  13. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Not every show can be GoT, BB, Hannibal, etc... Nabo. This is mindless entertainment.

14. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I just figured Del Toro was either intentionally trying to rile up the viewers or mock the corruption and shallowness of the U.S.

15. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    That scene in which the doc and his obligatorily-ethnic babe assistant confront the 4 people who thought they were leaving? The dialogue was comical at best. It was the TV equivalent of smearing a baby****-filled diaper on the camera and saying "Here, sit through THAT."

The actors on this show must get up every morning with suicide their first thought. I'm certain they've all fired their agents by now. Seriously, like eating the gun would be better than turning their written diarrhea into verbal diarrhea for one more day.

Paul 13 likes this.
  16. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    so is it the type of diarrhea that makes you personally wanna see how far it goes in episode 3?

17. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I only agree with the first part... the second part, the actor is getting paid... No gig is a bad gig unless you are a big name actor, which none of these are.

18. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    I've read the entire trilogy so maybe I'm being biased, but I've enjoyed both episodes. Think it will get much better.

19. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Cool episode tonight.

It's a bit campy, but I'm digging it. Anyone else still watching?

ToddPhin and Colorado Dolfan like this.
  20. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Yup, still watching. Show is starting to get cookin'. Like the direction it's going. The cast compliments it greatly IMO. Can definitely now feel Del Toro's style coming through, and I'm diggin' the way he reinvented vampires. The pace is nice, and there's a lot going on but without it being distracting. It's all tying together harmoniously so far. Would take this any day of the week over The Walking Dead.

21. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I think it's really good. Don't get the complaints. Obviously it's ridiculous.

Who are these "good vampires" hunting down the infected?

Colorado Dolfan and Clark Kent like this.
  22. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Personally I like the show and don't get the jabs at the writing or plot, I think its meant to be campy and fun. I don't think they are hiring consultants and aiming for the most realistic show ever, its a fun horror movie. I appreciate shows like Hannibal and GOT that have extremely tight scripts and great stories but there is nothing wrong with camp sometimes. Ive enjoyed the season so far. I think they did a really good job of presenting all of the characters and giving us a little something so that when they all converge at the gas station we kind of know who the core group is and how they got there. I haven't read the books but I will have to check them out as well. The back story with the villian and the old guy is very good IMO too.

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  23. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    So, is the Master omnipotent or does he know who Eph is?

It's pretty clear why he called Kelly and what he is planning to do, but why? How does he know who she is? does he even know who Eph is and that he's part of the group hunting him?

24. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    The Jewish vampire hunter explained that he's connected to all Vampires, as they're all born of his strain. He can communicate with them. He also has the power to let them retain certain human qualities, as he does for his Nazi consigliere. Most are just mindless predators though. I imagine he does know who Eph is (BTW, this show sucks at naming people) because of his association with the Jewish vampire hunter. Given that they're the biggest threats to his plans atm. Eph was the driving force trying to stop all of this, so I imagine he's a big target in general.