1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Strangers

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by HardKoreXXX, May 19, 2008.

Tags:
  1. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Saw the preview for this the other day and must say it looks scary as hell!

It stars Liv Tyler and Scott Speedman (Underworld)
    Kinda reminds me a little of 'No Vacany' which was an awesome film in the Hitch**** (****in profanity filter) style. Cant wait to see this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCU0k_jbCUo

gafinfan likes this.
  2. ILPhinFan88

ILPhinFan88 Premium Member Luxury Box

3. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Haha. Sorry I only checked the first page. Im stoked for this movie though. Crazy that it was based on actual events. I heard that in a private screening a few people walked out because it was too scary, and others were screaming. Sounds like my kinda flick :up:

4. ILPhinFan88

Yeah, I've heard alot of good stuff about it also, the based on actual events makes it even more scarry because you know this actually happened.

5. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    If it's anything like "No Vacancy," I'll be all over it. :yes:

6. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    they say that about a good amount of these horror films. Its something that texas chainsaw massacre started.........

7. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    I thought it was about a man who sat on his hand till it fell asleep, then he........

arsenal and HardKoreXXX like this.
  8. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Yeah except the texas chainsaw massacre wasn't really inspired by true events. Its as loosely based as it can be. Its based on Ed Gein...who only killed 3 women....and he shot them with a pistol...and he lived in Wisconsin.... ****in Hollywood!

9. ILPhinFan88

Because you were home

[​IMG]

HardKoreXXX and opfinistic like this.
  10. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Wow. That's one of the better movie posters I've seen in a while.

11. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Creepy!

12. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    well there lies my point. The majority aren't fully based on actual events and use some aspect of a true serial killer etc. Ed gein for instance has been used somewhat in the psycho and texas chainsaw massacre as well as others. It's a marketing ploy and most of the time its bs.

13. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Ya, based on actual events and based on a true story are very loose statements. Ed Gein was also the inspiration for Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  14. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    "Would you **** me?.... I'd **** me....."

opfinistic likes this.
  15. ILPhinFan88

16. ILPhinFan88

Shock: And what ultimately is this based on? I recall you saying at one time that you cobbled together various events, right?
    Bertino: Yeah, that's the thing. To me, what it ended up being is that I wanted to tell the story of the victims. When I was a kid, I read Helter Skelter. I went off to this small town to stay with my grandmother and my dad - I have no idea why - said, 'Hey, do you want to read a book while you're gone?' And he gives me Helter Skelter which is definitely big boy reading. Even now, what grabs me, even now, is that it's not the section about who Charles Manson or what was going on with the family. I was thinking about the Tate murders and realizing that these detailed descriptions had painted a story of what it was like in the house with the victims. But none of the victims knew about the Manson family or why it was happening to them. So, I got really fascinated with telling the victims' tale. And not filling it in with an FBI profile and not filling it in with finding out that somebody's grandmother beat them and now they want to kill everybody. You read obituaries every day where someone is killed for a random reason. Yes, we may eventually find out why, but sometimes they don't. With 1801 Clark Road, people can look at that and say, 'Where is that address?' But the reality of it is, that's the address I grew up in. I just picked that address because I wanted to ground the film in as much reality as possible. As a writer, there wasn't anything I wanted James to do that I felt that I could do. There was no amount of bravery. I tried to do a gut check. When we made the movie, Scott tried to do a gut check. Just how brave would I be? I didn't want this movie to be about what would you wish you would do as much as what would you do?

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=6242

17. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    This move looks like its going to be EXCELLENT and I cannot wait to go see it. Am hoping to check it out Sunday the 8th.

18. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    says the creepy 4 year old always talking about sex......

opfinistic likes this.
  19. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    this movie was horrible!!!!wow waste of my 7 dollars and 1.50 on 2 icee's and a popcorn...WTF

20. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Damn, that sucks. The wife and I are supposed to see it today.

21. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    The story starts off leading you to believe that this movie is based on actual events. In fact, during the opening scene the narrator states : "The film you are about to see is inspired by true events. According to the F.B. I there are an estimated 1.4 million violent crimes in America each year. On the night of February 11, 2005 Kristen McKay and James Hoyt went to a friend's wedding reception and returned to the Hoyt family's summer home. The brutal events that took place there are still not entirely known."

As much as I searched the only thing I could find that this was based on was a unconfirmed blurb on Wikipedia that reads: "The movie is inspired by an event from the director's, Bryan Bertino, childhood, among other things. A stranger came to his home asking for someone. Later, he found out that empty homes in the neighborhood had been robbed. With that memory in mind, Bertino created this, his debut screenplay. The screenplay is also inspired by the events of the Charles Manson murders."

I must say the premise is disturbing and the film has moments of suspense through the first half, but by the time the credits start rolling I was wondering what the whole point of the movie was. The killers, when questioned about why they were doing what they were doing answered simply: "Because you were home."

There was no resolution at the end of the movie, no answers to the reason this couple was terrorized other than those trite four words. "Because you were home."

***Caution Spoilers Ahead***

My major problems with the movie were these: First off, James Hoyt, played by Scott Speedman, finds a shotgun and shells in his father's home and doesn't kill any of the three antagonists. Not one. The only person he ends up shooting is his best friend who came out to the house to pick him up after he received a phone call earlier in the night from James. I'm sorry, but if there were three people bothering my wife and I, and they had no guns and I had a shotgun in my possession, there would have been a much different ending to the movie.

Second problem: When James and Kristen, played by Liv Tyler, are finally captured, the antagonists bind them to a couple of chairs and take turns stabbing them with a kitchen knife. Bad way to go. All the terror they caused to the couple through hammering on doors and windows, stealing cell phones and sabotaging cars ended on such a lame note that I was disgusted. It was a pathetic way to end the movie. Prior to stabbing the bound couple the trio (one man and two women) remove their masks, but the cameras never reveal their faces.

Third problem: The very beginning and final scenes of the movie. In the opening scene we are informed about what took place in the home, and are informed that the couple does not survive the night. That right there killed most of the suspense. Then, in the final scene, two boys approach the house as the killers are leaving, they have a brief, clumsy conversation with the women and then happen opon the house and discover the carnage. The final scene shows Kristen, bloody and torn, suddenly pop back to life and scream, adding one more cheap shock to a movie that was full of them.

One and half stars at best.

22. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Thats sux dude. I almost went to go see it on Sat night. Stayed home and rented Untraceable instead. Damn I was hoping it was gonna be good...

23. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    It was disappointing, but at least the ordeal is over for me. For those of you who don't heed the warnings, the horror has yet to begin. :tongue2:

What did you think about Untraceable, I dug it, but the ending was a bit abrupt and a letdown IMO.

24. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    YEah I heard Mike and Mike reviewing it this morning. Golic basically said the same thing. It started good but then it was like meh. What's the point?

BTW i thought Untraceable sucked. Good thing I DLed it instead of paying to see it.

25. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    It was another movie that died during the final scene. Unlike The Mist, which IMO was a fair movie that became outstanding due to the ending.

26. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    how do you do the spoiler?

27. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    You gotta sit on your hand until it falls asleep.

Oh! Spoiler, I thought you said Stranger!

[*spoiler]text here [*/spoiler]
    Just be like a Patriots fan and remove the *!

King Felix likes this.
  28. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    hahhahaha thanks

1. i agree, if i have a shot gun im taking my wife with me and looking for them..or maybe even walk to town or something..i mean theres only 3 of them....if you shot one the others would be scared.

2. i didn't have a big problem with them not showing the strangers face, it kind've goes a long with the movie.

3. i missed the first 15 minutes of the movie...but the ending really killed it for me, i mean what did that mean? is there gonna be a sequel?

i kinda forgot some of the movie i was stoned when i saw it

29. ILPhinFan88

Same here, our sitter fell through and we had Untraceable from Netflix.

30. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    1) No kidding.
    2) I see your point, but come on, throw us a bone!
    3) Pray the answer is no!

I was baked too, and still didn't like it, and I'm very forgiving with movies.

31. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    I don't think they are going to make a sequel, i don't think 1 person liked the movie....i guess it did pretty good numbers...........

sidenote: have you seen the trailor for pineapple express?

32. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I liked it. Kind of a modern re-hash of Se7en without the great acting. The story was really cool and the script wasn't too watered down which was a pleasant surprise, but I agree the ending was abrupt.

Its very difficult to end those types of movies IMO. Had I written the screenplay I may have tried throwing in a twist at the end, perhaps? Seemed a little too cut and dry.

All in all it was a decent flick. Cool premise although they could have done alot more with it.

33. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Yes! Pineapple express looks stoneriffic!

True dat, a twist would've been nice, or a prolonged ending with a more suspenseful confrontation would've been great.

34. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    The premise was good, although a bit unbelieveable at times.
    I didn't like how all of a sudden he just popped a camera on a car outside the detective's house. How did he know anything about her? He only saw her at a crime scene. He didn't know what her name was or anything unless he followed her home
    I was sure there was going to be some twist at the end. I thought the detective that came in (the guy who knew her husband before he diedd), I thought he was going to be involved for sure.