1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The ultimate silver lining.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Active Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Yep, YPA tells the story. Offense won't be able to mask it much longer. Reminds me of the Jarvis Landry offense, looked great on paper and in tweets but did nothing for the W column.

hitman8 and mlb1399 like this.
  2. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    And wasn’t that the theme of the off-season with trading major draft capital to get Waddle and sign Fuller, to blow the lid off the defense?

Making the defense respect the entire field might open up the running game too. Right now, the defense only has to defend about 10-15 yards of the field.

hitman8 likes this.
  3. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I think the biggest failure of this front office is not realizing how dumb it was starting three rookie linemen, a young project lineman and a veteran. Nothing works as planned when you can't protect your QB.

As the line improves, hopefully the vertical routes become more frequent as well.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I thought Tua would respond to all this BS and he did, played his best game as a pro. And best two game stretch.

Win the crowd, kill the beast.

5. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014

6. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Bump..

Thought he could do it and he has..

Lets freakin wreck the giants now.

Mexphin and Irishman like this.
  7. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    The more I watch that long pass to Waddle, the more I am impressed by it. It was perfect. Waddle didn't have to slow down, speed up, or even adjust. He just had to run to the ball. Trying to think if I saw that in Miami before.

Irishman likes this.
  8. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    He’s the most accurate QB I’ve ever seen, said the same thing predraft as well…you combine that with Marino like release, just get the man protection at all costs and he will shred you.

9. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020

jdallen1222, Irishman and djphinfan like this.
  10. Irishman

Irishman Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2017
    High Point, NC
    YES!

11. Irishman

Oct 16, 2017
    High Point, NC
    Let's wait until the end of the season before we start burying this team.
    I'm curious to see how far this winning streak will extend, aren't you?
    There may need to be a change of venue, if we make it to the playoffs.
    I bet you'll be complaining about that too - LOL

KeyFin likes this.
  12. Fireland

Fireland Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Reminder that some people here said he wasn't an upgrade over Briskett

13. Irishman

Oct 16, 2017
    High Point, NC
    What I saw yesterday was an impressive Team Win, supported by the offense, the defense and special teams; and the 33 points scored contradicts your "YPA tells the story" Concept beyond any reasonable doubt.

I guess that's what happens when your ego overrides the reality of a gameday result! - LOL

14. hitman8

hitman8 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    You are right it was a team win, and Tua is doing his part, but let's also not act like he is playing lights out. His completion percentage numbers are mostly padded stats resulting from a dink and dunk high percentage passing game.

15. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    You do realize that this “dink and dunk” as you put it is textbook West Coast Offense, don’t you?

When you don’t have an offensive line, which we don’t, the short passing game spreads the defense out and opens running lanes for receivers on short passing routes.

Four wins in a row, the first Dolphins quarterback with a completion percentage above 80% and still raining on the parade. :pity:

16. hitman8

hitman8 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    They are not running a west coast offense. It's a mix of concepts, but yeah, they basically found a creative way to get around our offensive line issues while maximizing Tua's strength in throwing accurate short passes on schedule. Hey, don't get me wrong. Whatever works, let's keep it going until somebody stops us. But in terms of being impressed with Tua, I am actually more impressed with the coaches than Tua lately. It's exactly what I said before, Tua is a system QB, you have to tailor the system to his strengths and take into account his limitations to make it work. Hopefully we continue to have success with it.

17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Once Tua has adequate protection..

You will see the same innate hi level elite anticipation and accuracy as you see on the short stuff..

Anyone who doesn’t think he has the abilities to measure deep throws and be highly accurate with those throws I wouldn’t trust that evaluation

Irishman and KeyFin like this.
  18. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    Or it will end like the season Tua didn't make the playoffs, even after Fitzmagic bailed him out.

No I certainly won't ***** if we run the table, but the odds aren't really in favor of that now are they? And if we do, it will take a near total team effort it will take. And I don't just mean the on field team. We've obviously made some 'adjustments' in playcalling seemingly on both sides of the ball.

Also, it would be silly to get over confident by beating ALL bad teams and the Ravens, who is an any given Sunday outside the division rivalry. Carolina with Mccaffrey out and Cam washed up Newton making his return isn't exactly a playoff birthing win.

But I'd say Waddle the duck has stepped up and looks like a high level player. I'd be amazed to see what he could do with a slanger like Rodgers.. Or Herbert. TE's, Gaskin all putting in work too.

Schedule is favorable but this is the Dolphins we're talking about. Takes them til week 8 to 'find themselves.' This story sounds all too familiar regardless of ending.

19. Irishman

Oct 16, 2017
    High Point, NC
    Your categories are:

LAME
    "Carolina with Mccaffrey out" - LOL
    This was caused by the Dolphins consistently tough play, not a gift from the God of the "Lemmings".

LAMER
    "Cam washed up Newton" - LOL
    Only since we "washed him out" to the point that in the fourth quarter, the Panthers turned to their backup QB.

LAMEST
    "But I'd say Waddle the duck has stepped up and looks like a high level player. I'd be amazed to see what he could do with a slanger like Rodgers.. Or Herbert." - LOL
    You did see it, but were too "unknowledgeable" to realize how well; and in some cases, how much better Tua has played in his last four games as compared to those "not so hot to trot" QB's of late that you mention.

SPK ENGRSH
    "This story sounds all too familiar "regardless of ending." - LOL
    Contradiction in terms!
    If we get into the playoffs which would be covered under "... regardless of the ending.", then it isn't the "... all too familiar" situation your sentence alludes to.

20. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I'm sorry, but with that offensive line...he's playing lights out. We're the league's worst in pass protection and we're still somehow on a 4-game win streak AND the offense just put up 27 points (+6 by special teams). That's also without our top 2 or 3 receivers on the field as well- everyone knows it's going to Waddle or Gisecki on any given down. And except for last week, it's also been without a run game.

There's not much more you can ask of a young QB under these circumstances- this team has crippled the offense and he's still producing. I hate to compare it to the earlier RT years, but when the line failed so did our QB. We're not seeing that this season.

Irishman likes this.
  21. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    ^^^THIS^^^

Every GREAT quarterback has had a GREAT offensive line. Yes, you can point to the onesies and twosies that scramble and run around all over the place buying time while being chased like a chicken…but is THAT what anyone truly wants in a quarterback?

I want a quarterback that can drop back, survey the field and make a bullseye accurate pass…and an offensive line that manhandles the rushing defense with the attitude of, “not today…you’re not touching my quarterback”.

When (or if) we ever get that stout of an offensive line, everyone is going to see that Tagovailoa isn’t the bust that so many here have claimed him to be. He’s made some great throws when the line has given him the protection that ANY quarterback in the league deserves

Irishman likes this.
  22. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I can't imagine anyone here saying Tua is a bust at this point, and if they are then it's their own prejudices and pre-conceived ideas. Now, nobody would say he's elite either...but we're seeing the nuggets that make up a true franchise QB. As the line and receivers develop, it's going to be really exciting long-term.

I mean, just think- Waddle is leading rookies in catches and he's like #3 overall in catches in the NFL. But why? Because we don't have anyone else to throw to when the QB has two seconds...he's the only one getting open that fast. Tua is succeeding with massive talent problems around him and we haven't seen that in decades.

Irishman likes this.
  23. Galant

Apr 22, 2014

Irishman likes this.
  24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Thank you for posting that G

It epitomizes the core of this thread topic and why I Started it

Irishman likes this.
  25. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    Bruh, what you may think is lame I may think is legitimate, you understand opinions are like Arseholes, everyone has one. I've been around
    these Dolfan message boards for years, I'm no stranger to ruffling tail feathers because we are practically the Browns of my era growing up as a fan. It's embarrassing, but I've 'ride or die'd' with this team too long I'd have to give up football before I could stop caring about The'Phins. So yes I will get mad at the team,

If you don't like my opinion that's fine. Imo there's too much fanaticism and not enough anger at this .. well .. entire franchise. Maybe you don't like that opinion neither. But you should like the opinion where I've said multiple times now... Tua is the least of our "problems." And I'm not even necessarily saying he is a problem ..if stays healthy. The only thing I named about Tua were his limitations. Certainly your not suggesting the limitations I previously mentioned are inaccurate?

Anyway, smoke a bowl or buy yourself some CBD product, cause if you get so mad at everybody you disagree with, let me just say it's not healthy. I've been around awhile, I was at fh since 2004 before i came here. Just remember in all our veins we bleed and our hearts all pump aqua & coral blood around here. And I'm sure we all would love nothing more than to see the dolphins run it to the playoffs/or thru them even. "The Playoffs" already started for us, so I expect, and I imagine you expect a good performance today, so lets see it, not just TUA I wanna see everyone esp. our big names doing their job. If that happens I can envision the run..if we dominate today on the scoreboard anyway... i can envision a run yes.

Irishman likes this.
  26. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    You're not wrong in anything you said- it all just comes down to perspective. Many of us thought we had a championship team this season and six weeks later, many of those same people were saying to "fire everyone." Heck, some were saying it after 3 or 4 weeks. I think I was the only one here saying in that stretch that this was still a solid team that's just figuring some stuff out. Again though, it's all perspective and people aren't wrong for how they feel.

As high as I am on the Fins at the moment, I also realize that the win streak can end at anytime. It's fun talking about the playoffs and looking ahead, but folks also need to realize that no 1-7 team has ever made the post-season. No 1-7 team has ever been on a 4-game win streak either, much less blowing out quality teams. So the only "fact" I'd throw in is that we are seeing something special unfolding and if we do somehow win 4 or 5 more games, this team and Tua especially deserve some props. None of this happens without Tua and Waddle.

Maybe we lose today and the season is over- if it happens, it happens. But that won't change my long-term outlook of everything I just said. Again, perspective...I'm always the super positive homer that looks for the good in everything and keeps a short memory. It's hard to win in the NFL though and the past few years, I've sort of thrown all that anger/frustration aside over losses and got back to just enjoying football.

So while I might have a rosy outlook these days and get on the nerves of some of you, just know that I'm really enjoying football right now because of my viewpoint. Contrary to how much I post here, the Dolphins are no longer my life. I enjoy the wins as much as anyone, but I also shrug off the losses and go about my day. I'm still here because you guys are here and I really enjoy the conversations. I just wish some of you (not directed at you personally Kud) could see things more like I do sometimes so you're not so angry. As much as we all love this team, it's just football and not the end of the world.

Irishman, Hooligan and Kud_II like this.
  27. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    I hope so KeyFin even if we don't make this run that many in the sports media even expect us to make, at least until the New England game then everyone will start betting against us. But we got a long road for that matchup to be meaningful itself.

If we don't make the playoffs, it's just another year to me, aside from Grier and the woeful attempt to build a top level OL. I'm on the wait'n'see train atm, I'm not particularly thrilled with our personnel situation, but i'm much less impressed with management/front office. We have some building blocks, but I can't say I'm as confident as you with regards to our future.

And for the record, I can appreciate the "True fanatic" type of perspective/approach to being a fan. Every fan base needs those guys. But I think every fan base needs realist/borderline pessimist sometimes, if the situation merits it, if for no other reason, that we all keep our collective sanity when the Fins decide to switch back to the other personality, "The Lolphins."

I'm certainly not gonna be one of those "I told you so" types though when this team does go through those phases. There's a fine balance of Positivity and Constructive Criticism, I used to be the guy that told everyone I didn't agree with they were wrong. But I have been trying to work on that as I grow older and wiser.. Not good for the blood pressure to get myself worked up cause other fans disagree, but the least we can do is respect each other amirite?

28. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    Dan Marino wore #13 and so did our current #1 + Tua Tagovailoa is 13 letters, he has to be the one! ;)

Irishman likes this.
  29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Another hi level performance

No other QB in football has posted four consecutive games with over a 100 passer rating..

So happy that 5 weeks ago when everyone and everything was crashing down on him I knew he would pull us out of the mess because that’s just the way the dude is built.

He also happens to be a very talented Qb.. people correlate talent wrong

Just because he isn’t the biggest strongest fastest doesn’t mean jack **** at this position

Hi hi level innate accuracy, fastest release in the game, on par with the OG Dan Marino, super quick feet and set up.

Just wait til the dude has a pro line in front of him, he don’t even need weapons, give him some time and he will always make chicken salad out of blank

Irishman and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  30. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    A lot of other QBs have done that this year. Murray, Wentz, Brady, Wilson, Prescott, Allen and Garoppolo have all had 4 consecutive games with 100+ ratings. Allen actually had 5 consecutive, and Wilson actually had 4 consecutive over 110+.

31. Galant

Apr 22, 2014

32. Galant

Apr 22, 2014

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.