1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The USA Today doesn't seem impressed with the Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Lt Dan, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    NFL midseason grades

Miami Dolphins (C-)
    Let’s all keep gushing about the Dolphins’ shocking 4-3 record. Sure, kudos to them. And now, let’s remind everyone their four wins are against teams that are 3-4, 3-4, 3-5 and 3-5.
    How they can get better: Limit Ryan Tannehill’s passing attempts. In their three losses, Tannehill has thrown 37.7 passes per game. (Only in the season-opening loss to the Texans did they throw a lot because they trailed by a lot.) In three wins, not counting Sunday’s victory at the Jets when he got knocked out early, Tannehill’s thrown an average of 28.3 passes.
    Prediction: The schedule isn’t that daunting. They could easily go 8-8, which would be impressive in Joe Philbin’s first season.

http://sports.photos.usatoday.com/gallery/nfl-midseason-grades

and for the record, the Bills got a C, Pats a B, and Jets a D-

2. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    You'd find the same effect of limiting pass attempts for just about every team in the league.

3. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    The National Enquirer of the mainstream media wrote something of note?

The USA today caters to people that can't read beyond a 3rd grade level. They are about as relevant as a tabloid newspaper.

CashInFist, Pandarilla and Lt Dan like this.
  4. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Just to give you an example of how idiotic and bush-league these guys are:
    So wait, Dolphins penalized for "soft schedule", Falcons can't control who they play? Sounds like this article was written by a Jets fan missing a few chromosomes.

5. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    The football juggernaughts usa today graded us and we are supposed to care? when they can accurately judge a high school team they can dream of judging an NFL team

6. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    There are Jets fans that aren't missing chromosomes?

7. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Where's one of those Heat fans with a "haters gonna hate" GIF??

8. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    That might be the most boneheaded statistical analysis and interpretation I've seen anywhere outside of an ESPN-related outlet.

9. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    Other than color ,USA today is just another newspaper to line a bird cage.

10. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Even birds deserve better.

11. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    hmmmmmmmmmmmm I think online at least usa today has some decent articles. Not sure about all the hate or the national enquirer comparison.

12. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

That's about right. I give them about a C so far.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda been 6 and 1. That would be an A. 5 and 2 would be a B. 4 and 3 is a C. No big deal. There are still more games to be played than have been played.

Any ratings at this point aren't worth the time it took to write them. Unless, of course, your job is to create web hits.

Bpk and GMJohnson like this.
  13. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    This is almost too funny. The Bills have a higher grade than the Dolphins, yet the teams they have beaten so far this season are the Chiefs at 1-6, Browns at 2-6, and the Cardinals at 4-4. So according to the person from USA Today who wrote these ridiculous rankings, a team which has won games against teams with a combined 12-18 is worse than a teams with wins over teams with a combined 7-16 record.

I admit that before the season started, I thought the Bills and Jets were going to be better than the Dolphins this season. I am not stupid enough to look at how these teams have played so far and think that the Bills are a better team right now than the Dolphins. The individual giving these grades obviously is biased against the Dolphins and just doesn't want to give them credit for being a much improved team.

I really could care less what this person thinks about the Dolphins. All I know is that I would much rather have the players now on the Dolphins than the rosters of any of the other teams in the AFC East. The Patriots may still be the best team in the division this season, but the Dolphins aren't far behind and I can easily see the Dolphins passing right by the Patriots in the coming seasons.

As far as the Bills and Jets are concerned, who cares, they are merely fodder for what the Dolphins are now building in Miami.

14. evz

evz Feral Druid Club Member

Lol I had the exact same reaction :)

15. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I don't have a problem with a C rating, since they are only 4-3 right now. My problem is that they were given a C minus rating, while the Bills were given a C. How anyone can justify the Bills being rated over the Dolphins right now is beyond me.

16. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    IMO, a C is meeting expectations....we are clearly exceeding expectations...aren't we?

17. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY

This always makes me laugh when someone tries to diminish the accomplishment of a teams record based on their opponents record. Does it even occur to these dopes that those teams have that many losses because the Dolphins beat them all?? Miami played a part in those teams losing records so how can they be criticized for that? Thats like saying to a team- after week one- "sure you`re 1-0 but the only team you beat is 0-1".

Eop05 likes this.
  18. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    [​IMG]

19. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Let me get this straight… they think that teams that are ahead in the NFL pass the ball less…. genius!

20. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    McPaper, they call it. Mostly pictures. Articles continued on the next page because the average reader can't handle finding the page where the article continues, as in a normal paper. You expect intellectual analysis in something written for the lowest common denominator?

21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    So we're not that great because the teams we beat are 3-4, 3-4, 3-5 and 3-5?

Hmmm, if we didn't beat those teams they'd be 4-3, 4-3, 4-4 & 4-4. Logic is fun.

22. barnetlevineesq

barnetlevineesq New Member

Oct 30, 2012

Among other defects in this USA Today piece, is the fact that both of the 3-4 teams that Miami beat, would have been 4-3 if Miami would not have won those games. Add to that, the supposed correlation/causation thing between the number of times Tannehill passes and the win/loss column, it seems to ignore that two of those games came down to the wire in overtime; and had the ball gone through the uprights, well, there goes that (leap) theory too.

23. barnetlevineesq

barnetlevineesq New Member

Oct 30, 2012
    -
    My apologies Finascious D. Apparently, you already made one of the points I wrote about (I'm new here; I just saw the title of the thread and replied without seeing the most recent post: your post).

24. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Its all good...and welcome.

25. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Everyone in the AFCE plays essentially the same schedule.
    Better give the Pats a C-.

26. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    We should be at the least a B- with an arrow pointing up. It's absolutely absurd to call a current wildcard playoff team that lost 2 games in OT a C-.

27. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    And just how many teams are better than 3-4, 3-5. before last Sunday?

Edit: I see I was not the only one with this answer.

28. Shoes

Shoes Junior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    USA Today, what you've just written ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent writing were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Lt Dan and Colorado Dolfan like this.