1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Wildcat

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jetssuck, Oct 6, 2009.

Tags:
  1. brparkway

brparkway Season Ticket Holder

Dec 16, 2007
    Roanoke, VA. U.S.
    I know we got the Wildcat through our coaching connection with Arkansas. I'm not much of a college football fan, and I'm wondering if McFadden & company passed from it any significant amount of time? I was under the impression that it's mainly a running offense. I keep hearing people talk about Vick & White running it, but is this realistic?

2. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    it is the RealDeal & we have only scratched the surface with the system

3. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Not only is it realistic but if and when we ever open it up and start throwing, the Wildcat will be a nightmare to prepare for and defend.

4. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

i just cant see how it is realistic. i just cant picture a big run threat from a QB in the wildcat offense, which is exactly what the QB will have to be in order to open up the pass that much. people will say, PW can be a running threat on the outside, and i just cant see it. that is basically an option type offense then, in which can not be successful in the NFL because of the speed and discipline.

5. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    You hand Pat White the ball and tell him to run.....and do it ten times. My bet is that 2 or 3 of those times he breaks off a huge gain.

His specialty is that he's electrifying in the open field....he didn't get all that acclaim from throwing a football.

Another thing is...he doesn't have to be the one to take the snap for him to throw.

6. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Makes perfect sense that this would be the game in which Miami opens up the Wildcat.

It was puzzling that they didn't to this point; you know they're practicing passing plays in the formation.

But if ever there was a must-win game, it would be this one. If we go into the bye week 1-4, it could be disastrous—particularly just having lost to the division-rival Jets.

jetssuck likes this.
  7. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

i just dont see it. hes going to have to show me that he can break tackles from the front 7, and i just dont see him doing that. the thing about the wildcat, is it is not the open field. it is a very cluttered formation

also, i do agree with your last statement. and i dont get why they havent put Pat in for every wild cat at WR. what is the point of Penny or Henne in there. Pat atleast gives a weapon that might be able to catch the ball down the field or run off a reverse or something from the wildcat. but, again, i dont see him catching a direct snap and being successful in the running game..at all.

8. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Absolutely....

If we throw a few times from the WC and do it early......we'd have them on their heels

NaboCane likes this.
  9. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Well I've seen Ronnie slide thru some pretty nice gaps on his way to those good runs......he's usually never touched behind the LOS when running the WC.

White won't chip away at them and move the chains but the big play potential is there. Unlike RB, no one is going to catch Pat White...

10. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

see i disagree. Pat White is fast..for a QB. but hes not fast then Ronnie. hes not faster then Ricky. Hes not faster then Ted for sure. also, a lot of those gaps on the outside are not going to be there for Pat because they are not going to respect his inside run game. teams respect Ronnies. they respect he can pound it in the middle of their defense if they cover the outside. neither of us have any facts to back up our claim of he being successful in that role or not until we try it more and either he is or he is not. i would love for it to be a complete success..but like i said, i just dont see it.

11. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    That's just the thing that irks me about the argument against Pat White as a runner.

No, he's not built to run through contact.

But does Ronnie run through contact at the LOS? No, he usually goes down if he's hit at or behind the LOS—Ronnie does run through contact past the LOS.

So if White gets the same holes as Ronnie, he could be that much more dangerous once he gets to the second level because instead of seeking contact, he would use his elusiveness.

And hey, if he gets tackled after a 10-15-yard gain...oh well.

jetssuck likes this.
  12. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    I'll bet five Wildcat dollars that we use the wildcat 6 or less times on monday night.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Frumundah Finnatic and jetssuck like this.
  13. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    I'd say he is faster than RW and RB and that Ginn would beat him in a footrace......however White is more elusive and plays like he has a pair. He's running for the end zone, Ginn just runs for his life...lol

14. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Dude, those are AWESOME!...lol

You're probably right.......however I think we'd be wise to try and run it 20 times a game.

So far the only thing that stops the WC is when we don't use it. Opposing defenses would rather see Ronnie behind the QB than taking the snap. I'd bet on that...

15. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    What some are missing is that this is NOT the 2008 version of the WC we dont get cute having the QB split outside to twiddle his thumbs...the QB comes out and they bring in Polite or Haynos as an extra blocker nothing cute about it Ronnie has a few reads and ONE option.. handing it off the RW...If the D doesnt commit enough to that side RW gets the ball with a numbers advantage If they do Ronnie Keeps it with a numbers advantage.

5-6 OL 2TE 2 RB 1FB 0-1WR its not about finess or gimmick the opposition nows EXACTLY what the Dolphins are going to do.... So far No one has had the horses to stop it. In this formation the Dolphins have a massive size advantage vs the Jets.. expect to see it early and often...as far as passing out of it who knows...wouldnt surprise me if they see the Jets over commit to it and it looks like there could be an easy completion for Ronnie why the hell not.

jetssuck likes this.
  16. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Well said.....

The 2009 version is "SmashCat" as dj says.....with bigger, sharper teeth;]

17. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    yes :up: Smashcat for sure...Its about execution and physicality and the people that use words like "gimmick" and "trickery" dont know football the WC is about as simple as it gets "you want it come get it" and they line up and see whos got the bigger set...period.

jetssuck likes this.
  18. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Brilliant!

jetssuck likes this.
  19. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Banned

Oct 8, 2009
    I'll bet $5,000 that Miami uses the Wildcat more than 6 times against the Jets. Who wants to give me money?

20. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    sorry, i only bet wildcat dollars.

jetssuck likes this.
  21. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Banned

Oct 8, 2009
    Shucks.

22. jetssuck