1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*The World Cup Thread*

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Aqua4Ever04, May 5, 2014.

1. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    About the penalty kick thing and hockey's idea...I'm not sure if you could keep the game going unless they changed it. Add more Substitutions, shorten the field, etc. Because you also don't want it to come down to some sloppy tiredness that allows a goal to go in in a knockout round/final. Hockey's different with a much shorter ice, players constantly going in and out getting rest and water, and multiple intermissions and timeouts.

Like the 1994 final or 1999 women's final both in the Rose Bowl both went to PK's. In the dead of summer when it was probably 100 degrees on the field, I don't know if you keep going. Plus you have to admit, the nerves are always high during PK's. I kind of like them.

2. Alex13

Alex13 Welcome to the NEW Miami Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    tight, intense game, as expected, you see the unbelievable depth our team has...i'm still confident.............T S C H L A N D ! ! !

3. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    gooooooooooooooaaaaaaaal

4. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    we did it....we finally did it...W O R L D C H A M P S !!!!!

5. jpep13

jpep13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Congrats Alex13

Alex13 likes this.
  6. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    Those were truly the best two teams in the World Cup.

Alex13, Bpk and Paul 13 like this.
  7. Phins28

Phins28 Up the Irons

Dec 4, 2007
    Puerto Rico
    julian draxler girlfriend omg

8. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Germany clearly the best team in this WC. Props to Argentina though. Don't know how they managed to reach the finals with the way they played this tournament, and they gave Germany a tough fight.

9. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=- Club Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Wunderbar! Great cup campaign for the Germans!

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

10. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Congrats Alex.. Germany deserved it, totally. I thought Argentina put up a great fight though and surprised me that they kept it as close as they did. Almost penalties, and that would have been a rough way to end it. I had a feeling it would be Goetze. As soon as Klose came off and gave him that little speech on the line just as Goetze came on. That finish was, dare I say, Michael Owen like.

Argentina could say things might have been different if Di Maria was on... but then Germany could counter with Khedira being off as well. So, it truly was even in that regard. Howedes was somewhat lucky not to be red carded in the first half. Referee did well to keep things even on both sides. Good ref. Argentina fans crying about Higuain not getting a penalty on Neuer's challenge... give me a break.

Both sides really missed some chances in the first 90 minutes though. Nervous finishes all around.

Bpk and Alex13 like this.
  11. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Good game. Impressed with Argentina, who simply lacked a Scottie Pippen to go along with Messi/Michael Jordan. I firmly believe if di Maria plays, Argentina wins the final.

But he didn't... and that's how it goes... Germany, the better team on paper and on the pitch at this point.

Congrats to Germany. They always had my respect, though not my support.

Now they have the cup as well.

Great tournament!

12. Bpk

My quibble with Sabella/di Maria is that he ought to have been subbed in at the 112th minute even as a hobbling passenger, to provide a finsiher's touch alongside Messi. He was cleared to play, despite being hampered. I wonder if Sabella decided not to risk hurting the boy, or thought he'd be ineffective... or if di Maria didn't feel comfortable pushing through the strain and playing?

13. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami

I read he had a setback during training yesterday. Really sucks for Argentina, a team built around the front 4 and even with 2 of the 4 under performing (Aguero was atrocious really, Higuain was hot and cold), they could have still perhaps won if Di Maria had been healthy.

Bpk likes this.
  14. Bpk

One player, one injury, one goal is the margin between a lifetime achievement and second place.

This is why players need to do everything possible to take top care of their bodies.

15. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Aguero never looks like that for Man City. He must have been hurt... like Di Maria.

16. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I've never been too impressed with Kun. Maybe it's because everytime I watch a Man City game or Argentina game he does almost nothing. To use a football forum term, he's a JAG to me.

Di Maria was a huge loss. For the "pulling the rabbit out of the hat" ability Messi has, Di Maria is a guy that is non-stop the entire game. That type of player was sorely missed. Even against Holland (fortunately they won on PKs in that one)

Bpk likes this.
  17. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Welp, Europe rules again.

3 in a row for the first time ever has one continent won. Basically, the World Cup is every 2 years (if you know what I mean).

That game could've went either way. Not the best final ever, but it was good enough. Finals of most soccer competitions usually are a let down as the teams play very cautious for much of regulation. So relatively speaking this wasn't too bad. Germany was the best team the entire tournament, so good for them. I like Schweinsteiger(Juve was in the hunt for a few years back. Wish they would've landed him) and even Lahm so I was Glad to see those guys win.

Paul 13 likes this.
  18. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    why I'll forever root against europe.

19. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=- Club Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Africa all the way amirite?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

Paul 13 likes this.
  20. Bpk

You mean because of UEFA Euro?

This was what I meant when I said I didn't follow club stuff too because there are Champions Cups, League Chamionships, Copa this and Torunaments of That. It's too many.

I choose to follow World Cup to keep life simple. It's the big one.

Eop05 likes this.
  21. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ

Yup because the euro. I'm only kidding of course. I have tremendous respect for Argentina, Brazil, Chile ,colombia, etc.

But the past 3 WCs have been dominated by Europe. There's no debating that.

Also I believe the Euro has been expanded to 32 teams.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

22. Bpk

Good explanation of how Germany built this World Cup team from youth development on up to the top league levels:

http://www.si.com/soccer/planet-fut...-cup-champion-revolution-development-identity

Take note, Brasil. This is how you need to start over.

Tone_E likes this.
  23. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    finally at home, berlin was rocking all night and until after noon...i'm done no voice and tired, but this still feels so unreal.

i think it's to easy to make this all about Di Maria, besides the fact Mascherano should have been sent off after his foul on schweinsteiger with already having been booked with yellow earlier in the game, as well the guy who hit schweinsteiger with his fist which resulted in a cut under his right eye, that guy also had seen yellow before.

back to Di Maria, we lost one of our defensive anchors in sami khedira 10 minutes before kick off (calf injury during freaking warmups !!!) and his replacement got knocked out with a concussion 30 minutes into the game, we also were without Marco Reus who many believed would raise to superstar level with this world cup, but in a tragic accident he got hurt on the last exhibition game one day before the team left for brazil, i would never have thought we could do it without reus, but we did......so proud of this team, tomorrow they will come to the brandenburg gate and will show the trophy with an expected attendance of 750.000 people, ill be there to finish of this fantastic journey....back to dolphins football after that

good night everyone...i'm done

Bpk and Paul 13 like this.
  24. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    With due respect, if you're going to talk about cards, then before all that Howedes should have seen red early in the match for that awful awful tackle. Also, aside from Di Maria, both Aguero and Higuain were carrying injuries that made them very ineffective. German's depth is far away superior to Argentina's. Their injured players get replaced by Ozil, Schurrle and Gotze. Argentina is force to still play their injured and out of form forwards for lack of quality depth. Palacio was their super sub and he blew multiple clear scoring chances off the bench on multiple games.

Bpk likes this.
  25. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    anyone but europe.

26. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    What a WC that was. The best team in the tournament won. Germany has a great lineup and the best depth of any other team. They will be strong for years to come.

I just can't stand Muller. For some reason I just want to punch the guy when I see him, and the flops don't help. I am happy for Ozil, Lahm, and Klose though. Nice to see Gotze come in and establish the next generation for Germany as well, cinderalla story-like.

Bpk, Alex13 and Eop05 like this.
  27. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I agree. They don't really have many unlikeable guys. But damn, Muller is certainly one of them. He's 10X more unlikeable than the next closest German guy.

Tone_E, Bpk and Alex13 like this.
  28. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Brazil doesn't have the infrastructure for that. It's a third world country. Just a step up from many African nations really in terms of how good players are vaulted from poverty to essentially royalty.

29. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Rumors are that LFC is looking at Reus for 45m pounds. That would be wunderbar if it happened.

30. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i had no idea that müller is getting so much **** lol, because he really is a funny guy, he is always a pleasure after a game when you hear him talk and this reputation for flopping is really not the case, he is not that kind of player, i know what you mean when you say you just cant stand him and stuff, i have some players were i feel the same about still shocked he is so disliked though

i'm happy for götze too, he had a tough first season in munich was hurt a lot and didn't see the playing time when he was healthy

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

31. Bpk

Totally agree that this was Argentina's disadvantage, but Germany deserves full credit for having a DEEP and complete team that could overcome such player losses.

It's a testament to their youth development system, as outlined a few posts above.

Even Low said Germany won this current cup the moment they dedicated to youth development ten years ago.

Other countries would do well to take notice.

32. Bpk

Muller is a little annoying. Like the skinny weird dude who rode a motocross bike to senior year of high school but mysteriously got a lot of ***.

Tone_E likes this.
  33. Bpk

Which great strikers don't dive?

Serious question.

34. Bpk

Well, now that they've bankrupted themselves 100x over building half-finished airports and stadiums they probably can't build anything significant for awhile.

That said, the club teams must be making money... and a youth academy doesn't need an expensive building... just coaches and space to train. MAINLY there has to be a commitment to building a framework for very hands-on development of young talent all through the system. Not a haphazard hope that some barefoot kid who's been deking out roosters with a rag-ball in the favela will suddenly walk onto Santos practice field and blow everyone away.

Paul 13 likes this.
  35. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Valid point, but some embellish more than others, like Robben. Muller isn't anywhere near the top divers' levels, but this tournament I can count many occasions where he over embellished. Just look at their first game against Portugal. Grazed in the face and he went down like he took a Roy Jones left hook.

Anyway, I don't want to spark this debate again.

36. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    well, they've still got the Olympics to go so that will be... in a word... interesting.

Bpk likes this.
  37. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    :shifty:

38. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    I'm still wondering when we'll get a bit more variety at the World Cup in the top 4. Just 8 champions from 2 places (Europe, South America) since 1930. Women's has 4 Champions from 3 places (North America, Europe, Asia) since 1991. I was wondering why there is more variety at the top, I guess it has to do with countries like USA, Japan, Australia, China, Canada not being decades behind like with the men's teams, where certain countries have had a system in place for generations and we're playing catch up. Whereas with the women its actually places like Spain/Netherlands playing catch up to USA/Japan. Though some things are exactly the same like Germany is still awesome...they really do have a machine churning out men, women, youth. And England women can't win a Penalty shootout either. And Brazil flops more than usual.

We're probably close though. In the knockout round you saw: USA, Costa Rica, Mexico, Nigeria, Algeria and none went quietly. Greece, Chile, Colombia were non-traditional Europe/S.Amer teams that shined (well only on Defense for Greece...) Belgium could be a new powerhouse by 2018 rather than the same Germany/France/Italy/Spain/Holland bunch. Asia took a step back, but they do have talent in Japan (they need to finish better).

Bpk likes this.
  39. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    BTW - The Euro is expanding from 16 to 24 teams. So that's kinda cool, although qualifying won't be as interesting

40. Bpk

Isn't that pretty much every country in Europe? Well, my guess is that we'll now see a couple extra Scandanvian countries and Balkan countries make it.

1 Germany
    2 Holland
    3 Italy
    4 England
    5 Spain
    6 Portugal
    7 Belgium
    8 France
    9 Sweden
    10 Denmark
    11 Poland
    12 Russia